Is coach Pauly to blame for Benilde's Semi exit?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Is coach Pauly to blame for Benilde's Semi exit?

Post by hermantown2000 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:05 pm

So Cade Gleekel only played one shift? Should have Pauly have kept him?

mulefarm

Re: Is coach Pauly to blame for Benilde's Semi exit?

Post by mulefarm » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:07 pm

hermantown2000 wrote:So Cade Gleekel only played one shift? Should have Pauly have kept him?[/quote
He didn't have time to recruit anyone better! So yes.

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 pm

mulefarm wrote:
hermantown2000 wrote:So Cade Gleekel only played one shift? Should have Pauly have kept him?[/quote
There was a rumor at the Edina SLP game that the reason Bauer Neupower, who is a pretty talented player for the Orioles, was not on the section roster because something about Benilde.
I have no idea if it's true but pwrhaps he did try

hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Sorry I meant kept him in the game.

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:55 pm

hermantown2000 wrote:Sorry I meant kept him in the game.
I'm sure he would have kept him in the game if he could have played. I'm guessing that seperated shoulder was an issue

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:20 pm

It amazes me how one player can make such a huge difference. What does that really say for the entire team. Not much I'm afraid. Too many apparent really good teams in MN hockey are just average when missing one or two players.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Puckstopper81 wrote:It amazes me how one player can make such a huge difference. What does that really say for the entire team. Not much I'm afraid. Too many apparent really good teams in MN hockey are just average when missing one or two players.
That's a gross generalization. The same thing is said about NFL, NHL and any professional or collegiate team for that matter. When any team loses its star it's a big blow and changes the team dynamic. Some teams can push through and some can't. Happens all the time at every level.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:52 pm

north_bear wrote:
Puckstopper81 wrote:It amazes me how one player can make such a huge difference. What does that really say for the entire team. Not much I'm afraid. Too many apparent really good teams in MN hockey are just average when missing one or two players.
That's a gross generalization. The same thing is said about NFL, NHL and any professional or collegiate team for that matter. When any team loses its star it's a big blow and changes the team dynamic. Some teams can push through and some can't. Happens all the time at every level.
Pauly went into the game knowing this might happen, it's not a huge shocker. Take the star off any team,This kinda stuff happens.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

TheMayor

Post by TheMayor » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:21 am

green4 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
There was a rumor at the Edina SLP game that the reason Bauer Neupower, who is a pretty talented player for the Orioles, was not on the section roster because something about Benilde.
Neudecker. Newpower is at WBL

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:20 am

MNhockeyhub reported that BSM had struggled against both SLP & Holy Angels recently, and that is not a good sign for an undefeated team this time of year.

Losing the team star isn't insurmountable for a balanced team. It's good to have a go-to guy when you need a goal or to lock down the opposition with a one goal lead late in the 3rd. But it's better to have several weapons in your arsenal.

I don't believe Edina or H-M have ever had a Mr. Hockey, and I'd even say they've both had fewer nominees that you might guess off hand, but that hasn't held them back much.

I like highly rated teams that don't have anyone in the top 25 scorers in the state.

mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:21 am

Not a BSM fan or hater. They had a great season but let's also give CDH credit, they have had some tough playoff losses in recent years so this must feel great.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:26 am

I was at the BSM-AHA game and I wouldn't say the Knights struggled. They controlled play and held the Stars to very few shots and fewer good shots. AHA goalie played well and the Stars packed the slot and blocked a ton of shots. Once BSM adjusted and worked from below the goal line-up they got below the shot blockers and started scoring. The Knights were clearly faster and better skilled.

I do agree that BSM did not look that strong through the season though and am not surprised they got beat in Sections. Thought they would make it to Mariucci though.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:34 am

TheMayor wrote:
green4 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Neudecker. Newpower is at WBL
Thank you, I knew that, not sure why I typed Newpower

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:38 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
I like highly rated teams that don't have anyone in the top 25 scorers in the state.
So does that mean you like wayzata right now? I think they fit that profile

bleedblue

Timing of Loss

Post by bleedblue » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:41 am

Suggested three weeks ago that BSM would lose in Sections. Bad timing. Thought it would be Wayzata that delivered the elimination blow. Great team effort CDH!

terrymoore1717

Post by terrymoore1717 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:00 am

Kudos to Cretin. Well played game. Tough loss for the Red Knights.

Ken Pauly had a great year behind the bench. Is there anyone out there who thought BSM would end the year with one loss? How many had BSM as a top five team pre-season? This team won four OT games and had several comeback wins against top teams. None of that is a coincidence. Pauly should be coach of the year.

The kids are a close bunch who had a terrific season. We are proud of them. Sorry to see it end. Good luck to the Raiders.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:40 am

Agree on TMoore's comments about KP being in consideration as coach of the year. Great year for Benilde. GB

100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:13 am

GoldenBear wrote:Agree on TMoore's comments about KP being in consideration as coach of the year. Great year for Benilde. GB
Eigner didn't get it last year and they went 31-0 and won the state championship. Don't get your hopes up.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 am

"Consideration". Don't worry I will sleep fine if he doesn't get it As for last year... That's a big hmmm. Really?!

blindref

Post by blindref » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 am

100percenteffort wrote:
GoldenBear wrote:Agree on TMoore's comments about KP being in consideration as coach of the year. Great year for Benilde. GB
Eigner didn't get it last year and they went 31-0 and won the state championship. Don't get your hopes up.
No coach that wears bedazzled jeans has ever won this awatd.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:02 am

That's it! Wearing Jeans that look like a chandelier eliminates a coach from consideration.

BobCasey

Post by BobCasey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:32 am

As always, terrymoore is a class act. Benilde was a fun team to watch and, after such a great regular season, I am sure their players and families are heartbroken. Wishing the Raiders the best shows excellent sportsmanship. I applaud your example, terrymoore!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:40 pm

terrymoore1717 wrote:Ken Pauly had a great year behind the bench. Is there anyone out there who thought BSM would end the year with one loss? How many had BSM as a top five team pre-season? This team won four OT games and had several comeback wins against top teams. None of that is a coincidence. Pauly should be coach of the year.
The last I heard Benilde had no D1 commitments, is that still true? If so that makes Pauly's coaching even more impressive.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:11 pm

100percenteffort wrote:
In general, I'd say the coach of an undefeated team should probably not be coach of the year. I recall when Terry Skrypek coached H-M. I believe it was in 1987, he said he had to do a lot more coaching with that team than in the previous couple years. And that makes sense. If you've got a team, loaded with talent you can probably just let 'em have at it.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:56 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:If you've got a team, loaded with talent you can probably just let 'em have at it.
True, but was BSM really "loaded with talent"? Which is why I asked my question about how many D1 players they had on this year's team. Quite often you will see "loaded" teams with 5 or more D1 commits.