SECTION 8A CHAMPIONSHIP 2-25

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who moves on to the X?

Thief River Falls
74%
East Grand Forks
26%

Total votes: 19

Prowlerhockey

SECTION 8A CHAMPIONSHIP 2-25

Post by Prowlerhockey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Curious on everyones thoughts,and also would the winner be seeded at state or random draw?

BlueLine_D

Re: SECTION 8A CHAMPIONSHIP 2-25

Post by BlueLine_D » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Prowlerhockey wrote:Curious on everyones thoughts,and also would the winner be seeded at state or random draw?
Assuming that Hermantown, Breck, and Mahtomedi take care of business I would think that the winner of this game is basically locked into the 4 seed and will most likely take on the winner of 6A. I think if Little Falls is able to knock off Apollo and Cathedral in back to back games they are deserving of the 5 seed over the winners of sections 1,3, and 5.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:23 pm

BlueLine_D wrote:
Prowlerhockey wrote:Curious on everyones thoughts,and also would the winner be seeded at state or random draw?
Assuming that Hermantown, Breck, and Mahtomedi take care of business I would think that the winner of this game is basically locked into the 4 seed and will most likely take on the winner of 6A. I think if Little Falls is able to knock off Apollo and Cathedral in back to back games they are deserving of the 5 seed over the winners of sections 1,3, and 5.
Agreed. The only way the winner here could move up is if Mahtomedi loses. Hibbing or Delano, if they make it, are top-3 teams in my opinion.

TRF has already won twice, so I'll stick with them, but it should be a great one. Defense has been EGF's calling card these past few years, but I think TRF is strong enough in back--along with a dose of Ethan Johnson--to pull this one out.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Bit of a toss up, either could pull it off, though trf should be favored.

egf's defense is their Achilles heal this year.

Regardless, I don't see either making much noise at St. Paul.

GP4Lhockey

Post by GP4Lhockey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 am

BlueLine_D wrote:
Summed up perfectly. With that being said I think Thief wins. Johnson puts up the scoring for the Prowlers while Bushy and Kade Nelson make the prowlers tough to score on.

3-2 Roll Prowlers

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:47 pm

GP4Lhockey wrote:
BlueLine_D wrote:
Summed up perfectly. With that being said I think Thief wins. Johnson puts up the scoring for the Prowlers while Bushy and Kade Nelson make the prowlers tough to score on.

3-2 Roll Prowlers
Nelson is the heart of trf's defense.

Bushy is a bit weak defensively, but not bad offensively.

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 pm

BlueLine_D wrote:
so mahtomedi lost to totino grace tonight,what does that do in the state seedings for the winner of this game? 3 seed???

GP4Lhockey

Post by GP4Lhockey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Prowlerhockey wrote:
BlueLine_D wrote:
so mahtomedi lost to totino grace tonight,what does that do in the state seedings for the winner of this game? 3 seed???
Winner gets 3 seed yes

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Boy, top five teams are dropping like flies in both classes.

Going to be a strange tournament in St. Paul !

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:35 pm

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:Going to be a strange tournament in St. Paul !
The good news I guess is that we can expect more closely contested and exciting games that go right down to the wire.

But the bad news may be we won't get to see many of the state's most talented players going head-to-head on the big stage.

GP4Lhockey

Post by GP4Lhockey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:53 am

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
GP4Lhockey wrote:
BlueLine_D wrote:

3-2 Roll Prowlers

Having played with Bushy I've seen first hand that he is more than capable defensively. He provides great puck movement on breaking out the puck and he handles rushes very well with a good active stick.

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:13 am

Can Ethan Johnson be stopped? Also can loven and tweeten be contained ?

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:42 am

GP4Lhockey wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
GP4Lhockey wrote:
BlueLine_D wrote:

3-2 Roll Prowlers

Having played with Bushy I've seen first hand that he is more than capable defensively. He provides great puck movement on breaking out the puck and he handles rushes very well with a good active stick.
<shrug>

Your examples are about offense, which as I said, is true.

Defensively, he gets beat constantly in the corners/corner battles, and back door/front of net.
Also, has a tendency to do a bad pass or two, most every game, resulting in a scoring chance for the opposition.

Imo.

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:26 pm

Thief River Falls beats East Grand Forks: 3-1

I was at this game tonight. EGF definitely controlled the play after the first period. They were running a hard 2-man forecheck all night and really made it difficult for the TRF D-men. For the first two periods EGF tried to work the low game and had some opportunities, but were playing too far off the crease to get anything gritty/dirty. That said, once they started to get their D into the play they had multiple opportunities, but could not bury anything. With about 2:30 left in the game EGF had a powerplay and opted to pull net for a 6 on 4. For the few minutes prior TRF was floating men in the neutral zone looking for a quick break (how they scored their second goal), so one could question that decision. A quick turnover off a faceoff around 1:30 led to the empty netter to close it out.

TRF played pretty well. Their goaltender got to flash his glove all game and was challenged in the third as EGF started pushing. The one goal that went in was a result of poor positioning on the post, but otherwise played very well.

The EGF blueline was fairly passive. There were many times where they could have stepped in and held the zone, but backed off and allowed an even-man rush coming back . The forwards were controlling the zone. Had the D pressed more things might have been a bit different.

I was very impressed with Ethan Johnson. He moved very well with the puck and was the best player on the ice. He also challenged the EGF D and forced them to make a play.

All of that said, EGF did not lose the game for lack of effort. For the majority of the game they had the Prowlers chasing. EGF had quite a few opportunities that were missed and would have completely changed the game. They played a hard fought game.

Congrats to TRF! Represent the section well at state. For EGF, there's no reason to hang your heads. It was a hell of a game :)

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:48 am

Roy01 wrote:Thief River Falls beats East Grand Forks: 3-1

I was at this game tonight. EGF definitely controlled the play after the first period. They were running a hard 2-man forecheck all night and really made it difficult for the TRF D-men. For the first two periods EGF tried to work the low game and had some opportunities, but were playing too far off the crease to get anything gritty/dirty. That said, once they started to get their D into the play they had multiple opportunities, but could not bury anything. With about 2:30 left in the game EGF had a powerplay and opted to pull net for a 6 on 4. For the few minutes prior TRF was floating men in the neutral zone looking for a quick break (how they scored their second goal), so one could question that decision. A quick turnover off a faceoff around 1:30 led to the empty netter to close it out.

TRF played pretty well. Their goaltender got to flash his glove all game and was challenged in the third as EGF started pushing. The one goal that went in was a result of poor positioning on the post, but otherwise played very well.

The EGF blueline was fairly passive. There were many times where they could have stepped in and held the zone, but backed off and allowed an even-man rush coming back . The forwards were controlling the zone. Had the D pressed more things might have been a bit different.

I was very impressed with Ethan Johnson. He moved very well with the puck and was the best player on the ice. He also challenged the EGF D and forced them to make a play.

All of that said, EGF did not lose the game for lack of effort. For the majority of the game they had the Prowlers chasing. EGF had quite a few opportunities that were missed and would have completely changed the game. They played a hard fought game.

Congrats to TRF! Represent the section well at state. For EGF, there's no reason to hang your heads. It was a hell of a game :)

Thanks for the report, what it sounded like on the radio too.

Yeah, Nelson has won a few games for them this year.