Final thoughts and notes on 7AA final

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Final thoughts and notes on 7AA final

Post by hermantown2000 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Today in Duluth the sun did come out but last night I noticed a full moon. Pretty fitting for the moon over Duluth after the Greyhounds last night blew a 2 goal cushion in the 3rd period. That game was as has already been said an "instant classic". Two heated rivals going at it like a great boxing match(Ali vs Frazier). It had of makings of being a good game but the result surpassed expectations. One of the greatest section finals ever played in Duluth. The game had everything you could want in a championship game. A tense back and forth battle, a controversial goal, momentum swings, a shocking comeback by Rapids just after it looked East was ready to pull away. What can the championship tournament bring next week?

Notable:This is the first time the Duluth East Greyhounds have dropped a section final since Cloquet beat them in 02.
East was what 16-1 in section finals(in Randolphs term)going into yesturday.
It is the first time I believe East has lost a section final(under Randolph)when leading in final period. I bet the Elk River fans were popping the champagne last night!!
First time Grand Rapids has beaten East in section final.

blindref

Re: Final thoughts and notes on 7AA final

Post by blindref » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:41 pm

hermantown2000 wrote:Today in Duluth the sun did come out but last night I noticed a full moon. Pretty fitting for the moon over Duluth after the Greyhounds last night blew a 2 goal cushion in the 3rd period. That game was as has already been said an "instant classic". Two heated rivals going at it like a great boxing match(Ali vs Frazier). It had of makings of being a good game but the result surpassed expectations. One of the greatest section finals ever played in Duluth. The game had everything you could want in a championship game. A tense back and forth battle, a controversial goal, momentum swings, a shocking comeback by Rapids just after it looked East was ready to pull away. What can the championship tournament bring next week?

Notable:This is the first time the Duluth East Greyhounds have dropped a section final since Cloquet beat them in 02.
It is the first time I believe East has lost a section final(under Randolph)when leading in final period. I bet the Elk River fans were popping the champagne last night!!

I wonder if Hermantown could beat them in a section final......

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:47 pm

blindref wrote:
hermantown2000 wrote:Today in Duluth the sun did come out but last night I noticed a full moon. Pretty fitting for the moon over Duluth after the Greyhounds last night blew a 2 goal cushion in the 3rd period. That game was as has already been said an "instant classic". Two heated rivals going at it like a great boxing match(Ali vs Frazier). It had of makings of being a good game but the result surpassed expectations. One of the greatest section finals ever played in Duluth. The game had everything you could want in a championship game. A tense back and forth battle, a controversial goal, momentum swings, a shocking comeback by Rapids just after it looked East was ready to pull away. What can the championship tournament bring next week?

I wonder if Hermantown could beat them in a section final......
We probably won't know. At least while Plante is coaching the Hawks.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:55 pm

No champagne in ER. Disappointed that they weren't the team to end the streak.

hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Jan 5:Hermantown's Hawks 5, T-Hawks 0. There is your answer!!

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:33 pm

hermantown2000 wrote:Jan 5:Hermantown's Hawks 5, T-Hawks 0. There is your answer!!
You are a dope and a moron

blindref

Post by blindref » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:50 am

hermantown2000 wrote:Jan 5:Hermantown's Hawks 5, T-Hawks 0. There is your answer!!
I didn't know that game was the 7AA final game at Amsoil...
Last edited by blindref on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:18 am

I think this does bring up an interesting point: Being good enough in AA is now a reality for Hermantown, thanks to Rapids' win over East.

For the last seven years when East was owning 7AA, Hermantown fans could always say "Sure, we can beat Cloquet and Rapids, but we aren't good enough to beat East." They could sleep at night because it would be insane to give up their catbird seat in single A just to be another team that loses to East every year in the AA playoffs.

But now, Hermantonians watched as the team they beat 5-0 (on the road, no less), took down East in front of 6,100 fans. All of a sudden they could look at the 7AA champion and say "Wait a minute, we're better than those guys. We would have won 7AA this year!"

They saw the jubilant reaction of the full house at Amsoil, the social media frenzy of GR love, and the accolades showered upon the Thunderhawks from every hockey fan in the state (even East people!), and suddenly, running off 29 consecutive unanswered goals against Eveleth, Greenway, and Hibbing in front of a few hundred silent, bored fans didn't seem so great.

And now they look at the teams in the AA tourney and say "Wait a minute, we already beat Rapids and Wayzata, we would destroy Anoka and Burnsville, we would have beaten Farmington had the game not been canceled, our schedule is harder than Stillwater's yet our records are almost the same, we lost to Bemidji by one in a fluke game back when we were playing terrible, and Eden Prairie lost to Wayzata and only beat GR by three. Is it just me, or would we be the favorite at the AA tourney this year also? "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure if anyone could tell, but I'm hoping Hermantown makes the move to AA, because if they took ER's place, over the next few years seminfinal Saturday at Amsoil would likely be a combo of East, Hermantown, Cloquet, and GR. That would be insane, and it might get 6,100 fans also.

As an added benefit, the A semis would likely be Hibbing, Virginia, Greenway, and Denfeld, with Eveleth and I-Falls also having competitive teams at the PW and/or bantam levels. There would be parity and rabid excitement at both the A and AA semis.

Anyhoo, the 7AA title game was an instant classic and hopefully soon we will see Cloquet and Hermantown also getting their shot at the AA tourney.

Best of luck to Rapids and Bemidji!!
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:24 am

WendyClark wrote:
agreed. you are a dope and a moron.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:42 am

kniven wrote:
WendyClark wrote:
agreed. you are a dope and a moron.
it sure would be fun to compete with another local power like the Hawks from Hermantown though in the section 7AA playoffs. even with Duluth Marshall this year, each time we played them had a totally different feeling this year now that they are in 7AA.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:30 am

rainier wrote:
And now they look at the teams in the AA tourney and say "Wait a minute, we already beat Rapids and Wayzata, we would destroy Anoka and Burnsville, we would have beaten Farmington had the game not been canceled, our schedule is harder than Stillwater's yet our records are almost the same, we lost to Bemidji by one in a fluke game back when we were playing terrible, and Eden Prairie lost to Wayzata and only beat GR by three. Is it just me, or would we be the favorite at the AA tourney this year also? "
4-2 (not a 1 goal game), Bemidji short 2 players, Htown in the midst of beating Rapids, Cathedral, Gway, Proctor, White Bear and Maht...
Last edited by elliott70 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

norcon

Post by norcon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:48 am

You claim the Hawks were playing terrible and got beat by a fluke goal against Bemidji. Every team has games during the season when they don't play their best. Rapids hadn't settled on a goalie or their current lines when they played the Hawks but still outshot them 29-22 and gave up three power play goals. Two of which were on a five minute major. There's our excuse.
Last edited by norcon on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:54 am

How did a player get a 10 major? They had 10 min on PP?

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:09 am

norcon wrote:
You claim the Hawks were playing terrible and got beat by a fluke goal against Bemidji. Every team has games during the season when they don't play their best. Rapids hadn't settled on a goalie or their current lines when they played the Hawks but still outshot them 29-22 and gave up three power play goals. Two of which were on a ten minute major. There's our excuse.
Beating a team in the post season is a completely different animal that beating them in the regular season.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:20 am

elliott70 wrote:
rainier wrote:
4-2 (not a 1 goal game), Bemidji short 2 players, Htown in the midst of beating Rapids, Cathedral, Gway, Proctor, White Bear and Maht...
4-2 with an empty netter is a one goal game.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:22 am

pekyman wrote:
norcon wrote:
You claim the Hawks were playing terrible and got beat by a fluke goal against Bemidji. Every team has games during the season when they don't play their best. Rapids hadn't settled on a goalie or their current lines when they played the Hawks but still outshot them 29-22 and gave up three power play goals. Two of which were on a ten minute major. There's our excuse.
Beating a team in the post season is a completely different animal that beating them in the regular season.
This is true, because Hermantown would have had last change vs GR in the playoffs, so the score would have likely been more lopsided.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:38 am

norcon wrote:
Hub has shots were 29-28 GR and if you add up the actual time on the pp, Rapids spent more time on pp than Hermantown did.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:44 am

rainier wrote:
norcon wrote:
Hub has shots were 29-28 GR and if you add up the actual time on the pp, Rapids spent more time on pp than Hermantown did.
So what? Every team has a couple bad games throughout the year. Rapids did not appear very focused or energized about playing Herm. Maybe they got caught looking ahead to a game that mattered when East came to town two days later. It was a good wakeup call and they've been rolling ever since.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:06 am

rainier wrote:
I think this does bring up an interesting point: Being good enough in AA is now a reality for Hermantown, thanks to Rapids' win over East.

For the last seven years when East was owning 7AA, Hermantown fans could always say "Sure, we can beat Cloquet and Rapids, but we aren't good enough to beat East." They could sleep at night because it would be insane to give up their catbird seat in single A just to be another team that loses to East every year in the AA playoffs.

But now, Hermantonians watched as the team they beat 5-0 (on the road, no less), took down East in front of 6,100 fans. All of a sudden they could look at the 7AA champion and say "Wait a minute, we're better than those guys. We would have won 7AA this year!"

They saw the jubilant reaction of the full house at Amsoil, the social media frenzy of GR love, and the accolades showered upon the Thunderhawks from every hockey fan in the state (even East people!), and suddenly, running off 29 consecutive unanswered goals against Eveleth, Greenway, and Hibbing in front of a few hundred silent, bored fans didn't seem so great.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure if anyone could tell, but I'm hoping Hermantown makes the move to AA, because if they took ER's place, over the next few years seminfinal Saturday at Amsoil would likely be a combo of East, Hermantown, Cloquet, and GR. That would be insane, and it might get 6,100 fans also.

As an added benefit, the A semis would likely be Hibbing, Virginia, Greenway, and Denfeld, with Eveleth and I-Falls also having competitive teams at the PW and/or bantam levels. There would be parity and rabid excitement at both the A and AA semis.

Anyhoo, the 7AA title game was an instant classic and hopefully soon we will see Cloquet and Hermantown also getting their shot at the AA tourney.

Best of luck to Rapids and Bemidji!!
The best team in Northern Minnesota beat two top 4 seeds in the AA state tournament by a combined score of 10-3... Yet they're playing Litchfield Dassel-Cokato in the first round of the class A state tournament. Go Hawks.

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:40 am

The AA final was great and an example of how the section finals are suppose to be played. Great excitement with the outcome in doubt until the final few seconds. Grand Rapids (Class A team that opts up) and the entire community are jacked about heading south. I thought East was very gracious in their defeat. Class programs IMO. Now winning 8-0 and earning your 7th straight bid to state? The community is bored with it. I will bet there will be a small crowd on Wednesday as many Hermantown fans are not going to waste a day of vacation and money to watch a 10-0 game. I just hope Plante doesn't put his top line out late to chase a couple of hat tricks.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:53 am

This game went on my all time top 20 list , over 50 years of watching hockey

I was a bit conflicted being a hound alum from decades ago. But wanting this new group of Rapids kids to try to reach their full potential, after 7 straight Hound attempts

In the end it was a great close section 7 battle ,which is all that really matters

Thanks to Kniven! And Kozy!

boblee

Post by boblee » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Which goal was controversial? The Hain goal to tie it at three? That goal would stand 100 times out of 100 in a review system like the NHL and it stood here. Don't see the controversy I guess. Unless it was a different one?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:11 pm

WestMetro wrote:This game went on my all time top 20 list , over 50 years of watching hockey

I was a bit conflicted being a hound alum from decades ago. But wanting this new group of Rapids kids to try to reach their full potential, after 7 straight Hound attempts

In the end it was a great close section 7 battle ,which is all that really matters

Thanks to Kniven! And Kozy!
What are the 19 other ones? Must be some memorable ones with 50 yrs of watching.

blueblood

Top games

Post by blueblood » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:00 pm

I can think of a few not in any order:

1) East vs Apple Valley state semi's
2) Moorhead vs Elk River section 8 final in 93
3) JM vs Edina in state finals
4) Tonka vs Jefferson in 85 state quarter finals
5) Tonka vs Hill state semi's in 2010
6) Richfield vs Edina section semi's
7) Columbia Heights over Cloquet in section 2 finals in 83

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:15 pm

boblee wrote:

Which goal was controversial? The Hain goal to tie it at three? That goal would stand 100 times out of 100 in a review system like the NHL and it stood here. Don't see the controversy I guess. Unless it was a different one?
Wasn't a kicking motion, so the goal was good.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006