Class A QF: Mankato West vs. #2 Breck

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Scarlets
17%
Mustangs
83%

Total votes: 18

karl(east)

Class A QF: Mankato West vs. #2 Breck

Post by karl(east) » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:04 pm

MANKATO WEST VS. #2 BRECK
-The Spartans make their second state appearance against Class A power Breck to kick off the 2016 Tourney.

Mankato West (15-11-2, Unranked, 2-seed in 1A)
State appearances: 2 (first since 2008)
Key section win: 1-0 vs. #17 Northfield
-The Scarlets pulled a mild upset to claim the 1A crown, allowing just two goals in sections. They’ll need more of the same to hang in there with Breck. Senior Tyler Loe (18) paces the offensive attack; the supporting cast includes Kyle Looft (15), Jimmy Miller (10), and Nick Spiess (20). They played two Tournament teams this year, St. Cloud Cathedral and St. Paul Academy, and lost by an aggregate of 16-4. Goaltender Jackson Peterson (35) will need to stay hot.

Breck (24-3-1, #2, 1-seed in 2A)
State appearances: 12 (2 in a row)
Championships: 4 (2000, 2004, 2009, 2010)
Key section win: 5-3 vs. #9 Delano
-The explosive Mustangs make another return trip to the Tourney, and may be the only team capable of stopping top-seeded Hermantown. Mr. Hockey finalist Chase Ellingson (8) leads the way offensively, while defenseman Dalton Weigel (25) is a major presence on the blue line. Mitch Matchlitt (15), Tyler Scott (17), and Will Blake (26) round out a veteran offense with two high-scoring lines. They boast a lethal 40% power play, and have no obvious weaknesses. A win on Wednesday likely sets up a semifinal with Thief River Falls, whom they outshot heavily in a 4-1 December win. The road to the final looks fairly clear for the Mustangs, and if they make it, they’ll have as good a shot as anyone at keeping Hermantown at #2.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:56 am

I think MW needs to put one in on this PP early in the 2nd or it will probably get away from them. Breck looks pretty good.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:14 am

Refs must feel bad for West already early in the second. Pretty weak 5 minute major call on Breck.

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:18 am

I know Hermantown takes a ton of heat for not moving up to AA.

What about Breck? Their coach ever said anything on why they haven't/won't move up?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:24 am

Joe2015 wrote:I know Hermantown takes a ton of heat for not moving up to AA.

What about Breck? Their coach ever said anything on why they haven't/won't move up?
Good question. They look like they could compete with anyone.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:33 am

Their coach has also used the excuse that they are a small school/small program. Breck has taken plenty of heat for not moving up, but I think Hermantown gets more heat because their coach has been so vocal about other teams sandbagging in A.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

sparty

Post by sparty » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:33 am

Just turned on the TV - 5-0. Why is Mankato West playing a AA private school? This seems to lack the entire point of a Class A championship, MSHSL. Then Breck clearly scored and the refs called it off. ???? Is that sportsmanship?

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:43 am

The MSHSL should make teams move up a level after they have dominated a class for awhile.

And I'm just talking hockey. You see many many sports where a school totally dominates its competition in a given class.

Have some sort of formula where if you win so many championships is a given amount of time, you have to move up a class.

And that's not to say, you couldn't move back down after so many years (I mean sometimes a run of 3 or 4 great years can be a fluke)

It just defeats the purpose of these lower classes, which are supposed to be about giving opportunity to programs that wouldn't otherwise make it.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:49 am

Not that Breck needs any help, but that second 5-minute major looked like no penalty and a goal to me...

My prediction for this one was 7-1, and that may have been generous.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:58 am

Breck puts them into running time despite being on the pk for almost half of the game. :shock:

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:03 am

Not to super defend Breck, but they haven't won a title since '10. Also, they missed the tournament completely in '14 & spent '11 & last year at Mariucci. Plus with the enrollment #'s what they are, they really are more of a Class A team.

Could they play up & compete well? Yeah, probably. But they'd probably be in a section with Wayzata/Benilde/Edina, and they certainly are not in step with those programs. Of course, so aren't many other programs, but I don't think it's the biggest travesty in the world that Breck is in Class A.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:07 am

karl(east) wrote:Not that Breck needs any help, but that second 5-minute major looked like no penalty and a goal to me...

Absolutely, they showed the replay multiple times on tv and the puck crossed the goal line before any contact and you could argue the defenseman checked him into the goalie. Not a huge deal giving the score, but that player is probably bummed and confused. Not really sure how it didn't get overturned after replay too.
The refs are having a tough game imo

Nebhoc471

Post by Nebhoc471 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:10 am

My guess is being placed in 6AA or 2AA if they moved up has something to do with it.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:10 am

Breck does not have the honor of having a "Rainier" in their section.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:11 am

The refs are really calling it tight and handing out 5 minute penalties like candy. I hope this doesn't continue throughout the tourney. Yes, Breck player was checked into the goalie by West player--shouldn't been a penalty. GB

jdh

Breck and Mankato

Post by jdh » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:16 am

De La Salle in basketball needs to move up too. They've been piling up championships the past few years.

Nebhoc471

Post by Nebhoc471 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:16 am

Joe2015 wrote:The MSHSL should make teams move up a level after they have dominated a class for awhile.

And I'm just talking hockey. You see many many sports where a school totally dominates its competition in a given class.

Have some sort of formula where if you win so many championships is a given amount of time, you have to move up a class.

And that's not to say, you couldn't move back down after so many years (I mean sometimes a run of 3 or 4 great years can be a fluke)

It just defeats the purpose of these lower classes, which are supposed to be about giving opportunity to programs that wouldn't otherwise make it.
Indiana actually does this (from article linked below)

"In another move to provide fairness, a tradition rule was approved. On a sport-by-sport basis, teams will receive one point for a sectional title, two for a regional crown, three for winning the semistate and four for a state title.

Any team that amasses six or more points in a two-year span will move up a class for the next two seasons. Results from this past season and next season will be used to make up the classes for 2013-14"

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-sch ... 8adbb.html

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:18 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Not to super defend Breck, but they haven't won a title since '10. Also, they missed the tournament completely in '14 & spent '11 & last year at Mariucci. Plus with the enrollment #'s what they are, they really are more of a Class A team.

Could they play up & compete well? Yeah, probably. But they'd probably be in a section with Wayzata/Benilde/Edina, and they certainly are not in step with those programs. Of course, so aren't many other programs, but I don't think it's the biggest travesty in the world that Breck is in Class A.
Not buying it. Here are their PageStat ratings since 2010:
22,10,11,22, and 4 this year. This team can compete in AA, easily.

They've won 4 titles in A and have been to state 8 out of the last 9 years. They routinely play one of if not the toughest schedule in Class A, yet their record since 2009 is 199-40-5.

Enrollment is meaningless for teams in metro areas, especially private schools. If they moved up to AA, they would attract even more talent and would do just fine, considering they would already do just fine in AA.
Last edited by rainier on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 am

green4 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Not that Breck needs any help, but that second 5-minute major looked like no penalty and a goal to me...

Absolutely, they showed the replay multiple times on tv and the puck crossed the goal line before any contact and you could argue the defenseman checked him into the goalie. Not a huge deal giving the score, but that player is probably bummed and confused. Not really sure how it didn't get overturned after replay too.
I think they are doing everything they can to keep this game somewhat close. Penalty calls and goal reviews. :roll:

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:24 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Not to super defend Breck, but they haven't won a title since '10. Also, they missed the tournament completely in '14 & spent '11 & last year at Mariucci. Plus with the enrollment #'s what they are, they really are more of a Class A team.

As much as I don't like Breck these are valid points. It has to be remembered that private schools are just a different beast and pull kids from all over. We all know how this argument goes, so let's not focus on it right now.

For the people that are bringing this up now, why are you? I feel like this is coming up because of his is an uncompetitive game. No matter who they played at state, Mankato was going to have to play out of their minds to stay in the game. Their results showed their struggles with decent competition.

It was fun to watch them and they kept fighting. What more was to be asked of them on this stage? Not every game can be competitive. Should Breck move up? Probably. And with the way things are going with all of these other teams they most likely will soon. I don't want to take any shots at anyone, but this is actually how games with the number 2 ranked team and number number 20+ ranked team should go. (Not exactly sure what Mankato was ranked)

Mankato should be proud of their season and keep fighting for the consolation. In the end, they just don't have the horses to match any number 2 ranked team. It's just how it is.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 am

BodyShots wrote:
green4 wrote:

I think they are doing everything they can to keep this game somewhat close. Penalty calls and goal reviews. :roll:
Yeah, I agree, that is probably the more frank description of what is going on

skiumah

Post by skiumah » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:29 am

GoldenBear wrote:The refs are really calling it tight and handing out 5 minute penalties like candy. I hope this doesn't continue throughout the tourney. Yes, Breck player was checked into the goalie by West player--shouldn't been a penalty. GB
You are correct. The slow motion video shows a good goal, and Breck player checked into the goalie. But that's a tough call in real time speed. I like the ref making the call right away, and not needing to talk to his partners. Make the call.

In the 1st period a Breck player grabs the back of the Mankato's pants. Holding. The Breck coach came down from the bench to scream at the refs. Does he complain about everything? Certainly he had the better angle. :shock: :shock:

Breck is good, no doubt. Couple this with Mankato West not being that strong and you have a bad recipe. Top metro Jr Gold A teams could handle West.

Instead of moving Breck up, how about moving St. Thomas back down?

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:31 am

Nebhoc471 wrote:
Joe2015 wrote:The MSHSL should make teams move up a level after they have dominated a class for awhile.

Indiana actually does this (from article linked below)

"In another move to provide fairness, a tradition rule was approved. On a sport-by-sport basis, teams will receive one point for a sectional title, two for a regional crown, three for winning the semistate and four for a state title.

Any team that amasses six or more points in a two-year span will move up a class for the next two seasons. Results from this past season and next season will be used to make up the classes for 2013-14"

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-sch ... 8adbb.html
Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:40 am

rainier wrote:Not buying it. Here are their PageStat ratings since 2010:

They've won 4 titles in A and have been to state 8 out of the last 9 years. They routinely play one of if not the toughest schedule in Class A, yet their record since 2009 is 199-40-5.

Enrollment is meaningless for teams in metro areas, especially private schools. If they moved up to AA, they would attract even more talent and would do just fine, considering they would already do just fine in AA.
Two of those titles were over 10 years ago. None of them since 2010.

Fine, send 'em up, I could care less. No dog in the fight. Send along Hermantown too. Then whoever wins the next batch of titles, send them up too. We're slowly moving towards Tier I Tier II from '92 & '93.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:06 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
rainier wrote:Not buying it. Here are their PageStat ratings since 2010:

Two of those titles were over 10 years ago. None of them since 2010.

Fine, send 'em up, I could care less. No dog in the fight. Send along Hermantown too. Then whoever wins the next batch of titles, send them up too. We're slowly moving towards Tier I Tier II from '92 & '93.
Class A is supposed to be for smaller schools that use their own kids. That's what EGF was and nobody ever called for them to move up. Obviously the hockey is not going to be the same as the AA side. That's how it is in every sport. If Hermantown and Breck stay in A then you might as well just go back to one class.