Class AA State Tournament is all Public Schools

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey21

Class AA State Tournament is all Public Schools

Post by hockey21 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:36 am

This should be a great tournament and it just shows that playing with your buddies and for your school and not always for yourself works out. Congratulations to all of the AA public schools. This will be a great three days.

sparty

Post by sparty » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:24 am

Yay!

Rick O'Shay

Post by Rick O'Shay » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:17 am

Well it's a good thing most of the private school kids (HM) choose to go there for the "EDUCATION". (insert winking emoji here)

10minutemajor

Re: Class AA State Tournament is all Public Schools

Post by 10minutemajor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:23 am

hockey21 wrote:This should be a great tournament and it just shows that playing with your buddies and for your school and not always for yourself works out.

Yeah, cuz if you transfer or go to a private school for any reason and play a sport there you are selfish. Whereas if you play for a public school, especially one with a student body and youth association the size of a small city, you are just a poor little hometown underdog doing great things in the face of adversity. :roll: :roll: :roll:

BowlusGoon

Re: Class AA State Tournament is all Public Schools

Post by BowlusGoon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:01 am

10minutemajor wrote:
hockey21 wrote:This should be a great tournament and it just shows that playing with your buddies and for your school and not always for yourself works out.

Yeah, cuz if you transfer or go to a private school for any reason and play a sport there you are selfish. Whereas if you play for a public school, especially one with a student body and youth association the size of a small city, you are just a poor little hometown underdog doing great things in the face of adversity. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Funny, how all of those good players transfer or pick the same schools because of education. I'm surprised those same schools are not over crowded from all of The kids who do not play sports seeking that superior education.

Cobber

Post by Cobber » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:16 pm

This should be the year to start the private school state tournament again. they could put the host site out on bids and the town with the highest bid host.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:25 pm

It sure does go in streaks. A few years back it looked like there would only be private schools in this tournament.

Nothing lasts forever.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Yep, let's hear it for those blue collar kids at EP, Wayzata, and Stillwater. Skated on frozen ponds until they were pee wees. Skated on the same line for years, because no one moved into or out of the district. they couldn't benefit from numerous hockey camps, elite leagues, skating lessons, etc. Most of those families were on WIC and SNAP while growing up

And with no one to hate, interest in the tournament won't be as great. you love to hate us, but we do drive ticket sales. Don't think so? How much interest would there be in a Burnsville - Farmington semi? Yawn, let me know who wins.

blueblood

All public

Post by blueblood » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:08 pm

No Cadets, Red Knights, or Pioneers?

Nice😃

TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:36 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Yep, let's hear it for those blue collar kids at EP, Wayzata, and Stillwater. Skated on frozen ponds until they were pee wees. Skated on the same line for years, because no one moved into or out of the district. they couldn't benefit from numerous hockey camps, elite leagues, skating lessons, etc. Most of those families were on WIC and SNAP while growing up

And with no one to hate, interest in the tournament won't be as great. you love to hate us, but we do drive ticket sales. Don't think so? How much interest would there be in a Burnsville - Farmington semi? Yawn, let me know who wins.
The casual fans don't really care they'll be at the X regardless. Personally i like Hill and STA so i want them there

sk8

Post by sk8 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:28 am

The state tourney has always been about great stories, characters and surprises. The privates are basically AAA teams that sometimes, but not always, are built at the expense of publics. As kids leave for privates, new opportunities arise for those in the public schools that might not have played. So when a public team makes it to state, the kids and school are even more thrilled. And when that happens, their fans all come to the X to cheer. Should be a very fun tournament on the ice and in the stands. Love to see the publics succeed at the expense of the privates!

Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:23 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Yep, let's hear it for those blue collar kids at EP, Wayzata, and Stillwater. Skated on frozen ponds until they were pee wees. Skated on the same line for years, because no one moved into or out of the district. they couldn't benefit from numerous hockey camps, elite leagues, skating lessons, etc. Most of those families were on WIC and SNAP while growing up

Wow, either you're a really sore loser, an overgrown baby, or very arrogant. I myself think probably all of the above.

stromboli

Post by stromboli » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:07 am

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:

Wow, either you're a really sore loser, an overgrown baby, or very arrogant. I myself think probably all of the above.
Sarcasm. A lost art.

10minutemajor

Post by 10minutemajor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:31 am

:D Nailed it.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:46 am

Initially there may be a little less interest, but new teams in the tourney bring new opportunities to create new legendary performances and instant classic games, all of which can drive interest in these new teams going forward.

If the privates continue to miss out on the tourney, then in fans' minds their importance will fade and a new narrative of villains and heroes will emerge.

If I remember correctly, the tourney was still pretty popular back when the privates weren't even allowed in it, and it was still pretty sweet when private schools hardly had a presence other than HM.

Somehow, some way, I think the tourney will get by without the private schools. :)
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:11 am

There will be more interest than usual.

Bemidji, Grand Rapids, Farmington, Stillwater, Anoka and Burnsville will be there in quantity and quality and will be there early and will be very vocal.

The media will make a big deal about new teams. Your annual tourney goers will be there and have an extra interest in seeing how the new (read infrequent) teams perform.

I am not a private hater (except STA) and am a Hill fan, but not having East, Moorhead, Edina, Hill, a Lakeville team interest me just as much as any other tourney I have watched (and there have been a few).

PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:08 am

elliott70 wrote:There will be more interest than usual.

Bemidji, Grand Rapids, Farmington, Stillwater, Anoka and Burnsville will be there in quantity and quality and will be there early and will be very vocal.

The media will make a big deal about new teams. Your annual tourney goers will be there and have an extra interest in seeing how the new (read infrequent) teams perform.

I am not a private hater (except STA) and am a Hill fan, but not having East, Moorhead, Edina, Hill, a Lakeville team interest me just as much as any other tourney I have watched (and there have been a few).

Dont forget the best band in the state.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:11 am

Rick O'Shay wrote:Well it's a good thing most of the private school kids (HM) choose to go there for the "EDUCATION". (insert winking emoji here)
Yeah, I've always got a hoot out of that booooogus excuse too.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:13 am

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:

This.

mnhockey1501

Post by mnhockey1501 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Honestly, no matter who is playing in the tourney, they will sell tickets. Private schools do make for better games at times, but people go to the tourney for the atmosphere of it. I know for Stillwater and Farmington, people were waiting hours for tickets, and you can bet that there will be a 2 hour line for friday night games. Even if the adults stopped coming to the games, the X could sell out in just teens. The tourney is something that high schoolers across the state wait all year for, and that won't change soon.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:11 pm

=D>

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:27 pm

No Edina, no private schools, no "villains" - I tend to agree. For me, with BSM's Grant Besse scoring 5 goals in the final, this (for now) will rank as the best ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_V-Wwt7ByE

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:43 am

I agree with most of what you said Elliott70. Just not the part about being a Hill fan. :P

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:46 am

BodyShots wrote:

I agree with most of what you said Elliott70. Just not the part about being a Hill fan. :P
IT GOES BACK TO '74 WHEN I KNEW A COUPLE OF THE PLAYERS.

Oops cap locks on...
too lazy to change it.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:43 am

Not saying anything one way or the other here about public and private, but to suggest that the public school teams are comprised of only the kids that grew up in the youth program is a bit far-fetched, and suggests that you all may be completely unaware, or conveniently ignoring the truth. The public teams are full of kids who have transferred for no other reason, than to play hockey. Same as the privates.

Parents chase these hockey dreams with an uncommon passion, and if it means they take their kid out of St. Louis Park, and send them off to BSM or Wayzata, or a kid from Somerset, WI and send them to HM or Stillwater, then that is what they will do. If it means they move from one town to another, so be it. Heck, some even just rent a place in town to make it work.

Lets not make excuses here either. These are decisions parents are making based on hockey alone. It is no different than a parent sending their kid to a private school....only they do not have to move.

Now for full disclosure, I send my kids to a private school, and not for hockey. My son played, but his career was cut short by injury. He is still there, as well as my daughter, and my other son will soon follow. It was the better academic choice for my kids considering our options. Trust me, they would be there either way. I am broke as a result...literally living paycheck-to-paycheck, but it is a choice we made to make sure our kids are getting the best opportunities, and hopefully come out of it better off than me.

Either way, I enjoy the tournament regardless of who is there. Always have. I grew up watching the tourney as a kid, attended as a member of the media through the 90's, and continually take vacation for the tournament now. It is THE BEST high school tournament of any kind, in any state, PERIOD. Private or Public, I will be watching. To say I would be more or less excited about the tournament, based on who is there, would be dumb.