Best 2015-2016 Stories

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sinbin

Best 2015-2016 Stories

Post by sinbin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:33 am

I'm sure someone is just about to create a post about 2016-17 favored teams to win the State tournament, but before that happens, let's take a few minutes to review 2015-16. What were your favorite stories, most pleasant surprises, positivity, successes, etc. for Girls High School hockey? We spend a lot of time grousing, but let's take a quick break to focus on the positive and things that can build for the future before we return to the real business at hand.

I realize that this will likely end up being a very short thread, but it's a slow news day. Have a safe and successful off-season, everyone. :wink:

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:09 pm

I'll bite sin.

1) attendance records at nearly every session in both classes at the state tourney
2) seeing respected but struggling programs bringing in new female coaches with personal high school and college playing experience
3) high school programs teaming up with girls association teams to mentor and build the game, including them on ice and offering a positive and exciting look into their potential futures

Have a great off season everyone.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:16 pm

I read this article a couple of months ago, but forgot to post it. Nice story about the Wiitala twins, who played for Wayzata and will be attending Concordia in the fall.

http://plymouthmag.com/wayzata%E2%80%99 ... ey-wiitala

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:28 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:I'll bite sin.

1) attendance records at nearly every session in both classes at the state tourney
2) seeing respected but struggling programs bringing in new female coaches with personal high school and college playing experience
3) high school programs teaming up with girls association teams to mentor and build the game, including them on ice and offering a positive and exciting look into their potential futures

Have a great off season everyone.
Great ones, Never!

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:15 am

16 state girls on the gold medal winning U.S. team at the World U-18s.