AA QF: #5 Bemidji vs. #4 Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Lumberjacks
49%
Thunderhawks
51%

Total votes: 57

karl(east)

AA QF: #5 Bemidji vs. #4 Grand Rapids

Post by karl(east) » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:20 pm

#5 BEMIDJI VS. #4 GRAND RAPIDS
-The two northern entrants collide in the last quarterfinal of the day. Not only is this a classic northern battle of teams with great histories, it’s an excellent clash of styles. These two teams met once before at State, in a 1974 semifinal won by Bemidji. They tied 1-1 in a December meeting.

Bemidji (23-2-2, #10, 1-seed in 8AA)
State appearances: 7 (2 in a row)
Key section wins: 4-3 (OT) vs. #19 Moorhead
-Depth, defense, and balance are the signatures of this Lumberjack team, which cleaned up on competition across the northern part of the state but remains largely untested against the Metro powers. Junior Brady Tatro (19) may be their best next-level talent, while Alex Pollock (11) was the leading scorer in the regular season; Rocky Copiskey (16) and Jack Johnson (39) round out the highest-scoring forwards. Nick Leitner (21) is the top defenseman, with Erik Fitzgerald (27) also putting up big numbers from the blue line, and Chase Hartje (24) solidifying the corps as a sophomore. Matt Fitzgerald (35) has been strong in net, and will need to be to withstand the Rapids assault. If they stick to their game, they could be right up there with Wayzata as a team build for Tourney success.

Grand Rapids (21-6-1, #9, 1-seed in 7AA)
State appearances: 15 (first since 2007)
Championships: 3 (1975, 1976, 1980)
Key section win: 6-5 vs. #15 Duluth East
-The Thunderhawks return to State after a nine-year absence, and their top six forwards can compete with any in the state. Mr. Hockey Finalist Mitchell Mattson (21) leads the way in scoring, followed by section final hero Alex Adams (9) and four-year varsity player Jonah Bischoff (12). This team’s greatest talent is in its sophomores, Blake McLaughlin (7) and Gavin Hain (8), both already committed to D-I schools. The Thunderhawks can be a bit wobbly in back, though John Stampohar (24) is a quality high school defenseman, and sophomore Gabe Holum (30) won the goalie job over the course of the season and largely played well. If they can impose their style and keep up their late season momentum, they have a chance to make a deep run.
Last edited by karl(east) on Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Grand Rapids won it in 1980

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Bemidji wins 4-2.

thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:29 pm

The TV timeouts allow this to be closer then it would be in a regular game. Beavers can then skate their top 2 lines more and not lose out to GR depth.
GR still wins by 3.
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:42 pm

thespellchecker wrote:The TV timeouts allow this to be closer then it would be in a regular game. Beavers can then skate their top 2 lines more and not lose out to GR depth.
GR still wins by 3.
If Grand Rapids plays the Beavers they probably won't stand a chance. If Grand Rapids plays the Lumberjacks, I still don't like their chances but it won't be a blowout :)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:05 pm

warriors41 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:The TV timeouts allow this to be closer then it would be in a regular game. Beavers can then skate their top 2 lines more and not lose out to GR depth.
GR still wins by 3.
If Grand Rapids plays the Beavers they probably won't stand a chance. If Grand Rapids plays the Lumberjacks, I still don't like their chances but it won't be a blowout :)
I want Bemidji to win, but I think Trent Klatt is the new Mike Randolph.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:07 am

Elliott's boys are very strong defensively and will force the Injuns to work their tails off for goals. I'm a homer so I will take Rapids 3-2 in a hard fought game.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:19 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Elliott's boys are very strong defensively and will force the Injuns to work their tails off for goals. I'm a homer so I will take Rapids 3-2 in a hard fought game.
It should be a very good game to end the night.

I just wish they were meeting in the finals as they are the second and third best teams there behind Wayzata.

The place will be packed with northern fans who know hockey and will make noise. It should be the best game of the day other than Farmington upsetting Stillwater.

The boys have grown up playing each other and dreaming of this.
I am happy it is not Moorhead vs. Duluth East.

Good luck to the Indians (I mean Thunderhawks) and may everyone be safe.

See you at the Liffey or McGoverns.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:26 am

Good luck to you as well Elliott. It will be a nice tournament either way.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:45 am

Leaning towards Bemidji, Rapids has been good down the stretch but the Jacks were here last year and that is to their benefit. Rapids will need to keep their focus and not let down after slaying the bEast. Elliott, who has the edge in goaltending.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:28 am

alcloseshaver wrote:Leaning towards Bemidji, Rapids has been good down the stretch but the Jacks were here last year and that is to their benefit. Rapids will need to keep their focus and not let down after slaying the bEast. Elliott, who has the edge in goaltending.
Bemidji's Fitzgerald has been a top tender all his career, a super athlete, big and quick. He was close with last year tenders and his brother is a Sr Dman. Last year he was down here with the other boys and close tot he tourney. He is just a sophomore but should be ready.

Only saw Rapids once and pretty sure Holum was not playing so cannot really evaluate. He is young also and with less varsity experience but pretty close. Stats are pretty equal. I would say it is a toss up.

Both are coming off tough section finals so we know they both can play.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:34 am

GR goalie let in 5 on 30 shots in finals. That would make me nervous if I was from GR. When you have to score 5-6 to win, eventually it catches up with you.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:05 am

mulefarm wrote:GR goalie let in 5 on 30 shots in finals. That would make me nervous if I was from GR. When you have to score 5-6 to win, eventually it catches up with you.

I feel pretty good about him. He is playing on a team that is offensive minded and is called on to make some real tough saves.

He is 16-1 and a sophomore. I hear what you are saying but I doubt they are going to play a different style of game now.

kniven

Re: AA QF: #5 Bemidji vs. #4 Grand Rapids

Post by kniven » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:22 am

karl(east) wrote:#5 BEMIDJI VS. #4 GRAND RAPIDS
-The two northern entrants collide in the last quarterfinal of the day. Not only is this a classic northern battle of teams with great histories, it’s an excellent clash of styles. These two teams met once before at State, in a 1974 semifinal won by Bemidji. They tied 1-1 in a December meeting.

Bemidji (23-2-2, #10, 1-seed in 8AA)
State appearances: 7 (2 in a row)
Key section wins: 4-3 (OT) vs. #19 Moorhead
-Depth, defense, and balance are the signatures of this Lumberjack team, which cleaned up on competition across the northern part of the state but remains largely untested against the Metro powers. Junior Brady Tatro (19) may be their best next-level talent, while Alex Pollock (11) was the leading scorer in the regular season; Rocky Copiskey (16) and Jack Johnson (39) round out the highest-scoring forwards. Nick Leitner (21) is the top defenseman, with Erik Fitzgerald (27) also putting up big numbers from the blue line, and Chase Hartje (24) solidifying the corps as a sophomore. Matt Fitzgerald (35) has been strong in net, and will need to be to withstand the Rapids assault. If they stick to their game, they could be right up there with Wayzata as a team build for Tourney success.

Grand Rapids (21-6-1, #9, 1-seed in 7AA)
State appearances: 15 (first since 2007)
Championships: 3 (1975, 1976, 1980)
Key section win: 6-5 vs. #15 Duluth East
-The Thunderhawks return to State after a nine-year absence, and their top six forwards can compete with any in the state. Mr. Hockey Finalist Mitchell Mattson (21) leads the way in scoring, followed by section final hero Alex Adams (9) and four-year varsity player Jonah Bischoff (12). This team’s greatest talent is in its sophomores, Blake McLaughlin (7) and Gavin Hain (8), both already committed to D-I schools. The Thunderhawks can be a bit wobbly in back, though John Stampohar (24) is a quality high school defenseman, and sophomore Gabe Holum (30) won the goalie job over the course of the season and largely played well. If they can impose their style and keep up their late season momentum, they have a chance to make a deep run.
My head says Bemidji, but my heart says section 7AA.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Spellchecker, I agree with your point about the timeouts favoring Bemidji in this game

Elliott, the Jacks keep producing Elite 92 save percent goalies year after year.
What's the secret?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:21 pm

WestMetro wrote:Spellchecker, I agree with your point about the timeouts favoring Bemidji in this game

Elliott, the Jacks keep producing Elite 92 save percent goalies year after year.
What's the secret?
They see a lot of shots in youth hockey.

They get a lot of ice time.

A lot of good athletes playing the position.

They play multiple sports.

Coaches spend time in practice with the and drills designed to teach and test.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:23 pm

WestMetro wrote:Spellchecker, I agree with your point about the timeouts favoring Bemidji in this game

What's the secret?
Bemidji is deeper than people give them credit. Three quality lines and a fourth that gets ice time.

Based on what I have seen of upper level metro teams Bemidji is as or deeper.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
GR still wins by 3.
Pump the breaks, its only been one year. He seems great, but lets wait and see a bit.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:44 am

green4 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
GR still wins by 3.
Pump the breaks, its only been one year. He seems great, but lets wait and see a bit.

He also walked in to a pretty good situation with the team GR has. I agree pump the brakes

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:27 am

Bemidji by 2 with an empty netter. Good defense and speed up front will carry them through.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:33 am

elliott70 wrote:Good luck to the Indians (I mean Thunderhawks) and may everyone be safe.
Why is XXXhawks always the lame goto name? Is it a form of protest?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:59 am

luckyEPDad wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Good luck to the Indians (I mean Thunderhawks) and may everyone be safe.
THawks is just a short easier to type version.
Indians is a form of protest/recognition for those players of yesteryear/ force of old habit.

Nothing to write home about.

PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:13 am

elliott70 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:
Indians is a form of protest/recognition for those players of yesteryear/ force of old habit.

Thers still a large group that still calls themselves Indians,Im sure alot of them will come out of the woodwork for the tourney.
Elliott remember back in the day when the cheerleaders had those huge Indian head dresses when rapids was at state, where did the go??

BigTen

Post by BigTen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:49 pm

Looking at some regular season statistics to find an edge...

Both goalies numbers are similar with Holum at 2.07 GA / .901% Saves and Fitzgerald at 2.05 GA / .898% Saves.

Rapids PP at 28.6% and PK at field low 72.2%
10 players with double digits points

Bemidji PP at 24.0% and PK at 83.6%
12 players with double digit points

The T-Hawks need to stay out of box to win.

I would like either of these teams to be the champion but I think the Lumberjacks would have a better chance to win 3 straight with better overall defense.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:54 pm

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:

Thers still a large group that still calls themselves Indians,Im sure alot of them will come out of the woodwork for the tourney.
Elliott remember back in the day when the cheerleaders had those huge Indian head dresses when rapids was at state, where did the go??
Those were nice outfits.