Class A QF: Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato vs. #1 Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Dragons
19%
Hawks
81%

Total votes: 32

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:44 am

rainier wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Those of you who haven't seen Hermantown play have no idea how good they are. Fast, physical, deep, great passing and with good goaltending. If this doesn't go into running time I'll be shocked. Hibbing or Greenway would probably beat LDC by more than one goal, there is no chance of LDC staying with Hermantown.
Agreed. Hermantown's 2nd line is as good as the top line for most teams in Class A, as is their 2nd d pairing.

I know nothing of LDC, but I can't see an unseeded team staying out of running time against Hermantown.
Does that mean that in your opinions I'm not crazy for thinking that they are one of the best teams in the state regardless of class and if they were in AA they would have had as good of chance as any to win the title there as well?

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:25 am

dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Those of you who haven't seen Hermantown play have no idea how good they are. Fast, physical, deep, great passing and with good goaltending. If this doesn't go into running time I'll be shocked. Hibbing or Greenway would probably beat LDC by more than one goal, there is no chance of LDC staying with Hermantown.
Agreed. Hermantown's 2nd line is as good as the top line for most teams in Class A, as is their 2nd d pairing.

I know nothing of LDC, but I can't see an unseeded team staying out of running time against Hermantown.
Does that mean that in your opinions I'm not crazy for thinking that they are one of the best teams in the state regardless of class and if they were in AA they would have had as good of chance as any to win the title there as well?
Here we go again... He has already answered the question several times - Yes.

If they were AA this year and I had to put money on the winner, it would be hard to bet against them. Hermantown is really good as usual, and there is no clear powerhouse in AA this year so I think they could/would win it all, but we will never know...

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:46 am

pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

If they were AA this year and I had to put money on the winner, it would be hard to bet against them. Hermantown is really good as usual, and there is no clear powerhouse in AA this year so I think they could/would win it all, but we will never know...
I wasn't meaning anything by it, perky. Was just looking for an opinion like the one you just gave about putting money down in the hypothetical. I haven't watched Hermantown play, but just looking at their stats against some of the highest ranked teams in the state, I was thinking they might truly be the best of anyone. Was just curious on anyone else's thoughts on this.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:52 am

dherman8 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

I wasn't meaning anything by it, perky. Was just looking for an opinion like the one you just gave about putting money down in the hypothetical. I haven't watched Hermantown play, but just looking at their stats against some of the highest ranked teams in the state, I was thinking they might truly be the best of anyone. Was just curious on anyone else's thoughts on this.
But then Grand Rapids wouldnt have had a chance to come down!

Yes Hermantown would be in discussion for a AA title, if Plante would pull the plug on "A" :lol: :lol:

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:58 am

InYourFace09 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

But then Grand Rapids wouldnt have had a chance to come down!

Yes Hermantown would be in discussion for a AA title, if Plante would pull the plug on "A" :lol: :lol:
True. I am glad Rapids is there.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:02 am

dherman8 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

I know you didn't. :)

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:06 am

pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

There isn't any real powerhouse in A this year like the Sta and EGF teams were. That leaves it Hermantown's tourney to lose imo. Maybe Breck will give them their 7th 2nd place banner in a row...

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:14 am

pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

There isn't any real powerhouse in A this year like the Sta and EGF teams were. That leaves it Hermantown's tourney to lose imo. Maybe Breck will give them their 7th 2nd place banner in a row...
We can only hope so Plante refuses to quit and stays in "A" so we can continue to rehash the topic every year!!

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:27 am

dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

They would absolutely have as good a chance as anyone to win the AA tourney.

To those unfamiliar with Hermantown, when this current group of players were bantams, they finished ranked #10 in AA by YHH, and only four of their 53 games were against Class A teams. And since then, not only did Hermantown not lose players to private schools the way most of the big metro programs do, the Hawks actually have had two Elite League level players move to Hermantown.

So when thinking about Hermantown, one has to consider who these kids have been playing against their whole lives, and it isn't Class A teams. This team is prepared to play against the best in AA.

LDC might be a decent A team, but they will probably be the 3rd or 4th worst team Hermantown has played all season. (After Eveleth, Proctor, Superior)
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

computerguy

Post by computerguy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 am

BobSaget wrote:
computerguy wrote:What did 3a do last year? I'm pretty sure it was New Ulm with a more than competitive game with the zephyrs. 6-3 proved to be the most competitive of the first say last year????? I agree odds are on the Hawks but anything can happen!!!!!
Didn't Apollo/Breck go to OT?
I stand corrected. New Ulm was the only losing team to actually score a goal on opening day......
Last edited by computerguy on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:44 am

My hope is they win A this year and next (they can't move up till 2018 season), then dip their feet into the AA level.

If Plante does retire, there will be some pretty big shoes to fill. Don't underestimate what he has done for Hermantown's success.
He loves his boys and gets the best out of most of them. No one will ever accuse a Hermantown team of not giving it their all.

Unless they get the right coach, and I have doubts that they will, I hope Plante stays and leads them into AA. How great would a Plante/Randolph section final be!

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:50 am

pekyman wrote:My hope is they win A this year and next (they can't move up till 2018 season), then dip their feet into the AA level.

If Plante does retire, there will be some pretty big shoes to fill. Don't underestimate what he has done for Hermantown's success.
He loves his boys and gets the best out of most of them. No one will ever accuse a Hermantown team of not giving it their all.

Unless they get the right coach, and I have doubts that they will, I hope Plante stays and leads them into AA. How great would a Plante/Randolph section final be!
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... hermantown

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:26 am

pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote:My hope is they win A this year and next (they can't move up till 2018 season), then dip their feet into the AA level.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/01/br ... the-charm/

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:42 am

rainier wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

To those unfamiliar with Hermantown, when this current group of players were bantams, they finished ranked #10 in AA by YHH, and only four of their 53 games were against Class A teams. And since then, not only did Hermantown not lose players to private schools the way most of the big metro programs do, the Hawks actually have had two Elite League level players move to Hermantown.

So when thinking about Hermantown, one has to consider who these kids have been playing against their whole lives, and it isn't Class A teams. This team is prepared to play against the best in AA.

LDC might be a decent A team, but they will probably be the 3rd or 4th worst team Hermantown has played all season. (After Eveleth, Proctor, Superior)
That's interesting information. Can't say it is surprising though. Just looking at wins against Wayzata, Minnetonka, and Grand Rapids by a combined 13 to 3 and 2 of those being shutouts. :shock: just eye opening against some of the very best.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 am

dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

That's interesting information. Can't say it is surprising though. Just looking at wins against Wayzata, Minnetonka, and Grand Rapids by a combined 13 to 3 and 2 of those being shutouts. :shock: just eye opening against some of the very best.
Hermantown lost to Minnetonka

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:47 am

green4 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
rainier wrote:

Hermantown lost to Minnetonka
Either way beat Wayzata 5-3, and GR 5-0 both in AA State.

They probably dont feel safe as they lost to Bemidji, so they are not a shoe in for the AA finals!!

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:49 am

You have to go back to Jan of 2013 to find the last time Hermantown lost to a class "A" team outside of the state championship games!!

That is remarkable, time to move.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:01 am

pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Interesting article. Even Plante doesn't live in Hermantown! :D

hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:30 am

rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Interesting article. Even Plante doesn't live in Hermantown! :D
He lives in the Hermantown school district though.

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 am

Will this game be on the radio in the Duluth area, or online audio streaming

jeffpv

Post by jeffpv » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Impressed with LDC's fight thus far.
But, man, is Hermantown fast and deep. It's obvious they're going to wear LDC down.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:26 pm

I apologize LDC, you guys are much better than I expected.

The Dragons don't have a ton of skill, but they are playing aggressive and physical and taking advantage of the turnovers they are creating. Nice.

Well, Hawks score as I was writing this. I take it all back LDC. :D

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:31 pm

Floodgates are open...

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:20 pm

LDC has some nice players and probably was the best of te 3 unseeded teams, but their aggressive style of play does not do them any favors against a team like hermantown

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Eleven goals and running time. What a great tournament. Even the Hermantown fans are starting to lose interest in the A tournament