Class A QF: #5 St. Cloud Cathedral vs. #4 St. Paul Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Crusaders
28%
Spartans
72%

Total votes: 25

karl(east)

Class A QF: #5 St. Cloud Cathedral vs. #4 St. Paul Academy

Post by karl(east) » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:09 pm

#5 ST. CLOUD CATHEDRAL VS. #4 ST. PAUL ACADEMY
-Two private schools from saintly cities collide in the Class A nightcap, with regular entrant Cathedral the mild underdog against newcomer St. Paul Academy. Both have their share of talent and depth, and boast star sophomore goaltenders. This should easily be the best quarterfinal of the day.

St. Cloud Cathedral (20-7-1, #10, 2-seed in 6A)
State appearances: 7 (first since 2014)
Key section wins: 7-2 vs. #13 Sartell, 10-2 vs. 4-seed Little Falls
-The Crusaders are back in St. Paul after missing last season, and are a fairly similar team to their first round opponent. Logan Neu (2), Jake VanHalbeck (4), Michael Spethmann (19), and Jack Petroske (7) lead the offense, and there’s depth beyond them, too. The defense, led by Trevor Cornelius (15) and Jeron Hirschfeld (10) is similarly deep and capable of putting up points. A sophomore with great potential, Keegan Karki (35), occupies the net. On paper they’re a step behind SPA, but they come in hot, as they pushed Holy Family to the brink late in the season and blasted their way through a normally very competitive section 6A.

St. Paul Academy (23-5, #8, 2-seed in 4A)
First State appearance
Key section win: 7-1 vs. 5-seed Totino-Grace
-The Spartans makes their first State appearance ever this season, and they have the pieces to do some damage. Matt Dahlseide (11) and Justin Jallen (8), and Jack Johnston (19) pace the offense. A deep and high-scoring defensive corps includes Noel Parker (27), Cullen McCabe (7), and Evan Dahlseide (18). But this team’s real front-line talents are a pair of sophomores, forward Devlin McCabe (9) and goalie Andy Beran (29). They play a fairly easy schedule and several upsets kept them from being tested in sections, but narrow losses to the likes of Mahtomedi and Breck suggest they could at least make things interesting for Hermantown if they can get past Cathedral in the first round.

Chucky Boomer

Post by Chucky Boomer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Vince Mcstott had 3 pts vs holy family a top AA team at the time.

Big time players show up for big time games.

Rinkguy15

Post by Rinkguy15 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:15 am

Chucky Boomer wrote:Vince Mcstott had 3 pts vs holy family a top AA team at the time.

Couldn't agree more!! The kid is a lethal weapon. He is an underrated player on that will surprise teams his first shift. Can't wait to see him produce on the 3rd line.

RalphCox

Post by RalphCox » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:20 pm

These teams are better than I expected

skiumah

Post by skiumah » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Anyone notice how that SCC kid went into the boards? That was awful. Hope is leg/ankle is OK.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:12 pm

skiumah wrote:Anyone notice how that SCC kid went into the boards? That was awful. Hope is leg/ankle is OK.
Looked like he was checking if he was cut above the knee maybe? Has he been back out there?

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:34 pm

TV said cut on leg. Stitches and some glue and expected return. Nothing serious thankfully.

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 am

Chucky Boomer wrote:Vince Mcstott had 3 pts vs holy family a top AA team at the time.

Is he a 10th year SR? AHA has not been a "top AA" team for years. :oops:

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:35 am

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey wrote:

Holy Fanily, not Holy Angels.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 am

Holy Family is not Holy Angels (AHA). In LPH Holy Family is currently ranked #5 in class 2A and was expected by many to defeat Eden Prairie in section playoffs.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:06 am

luckyEPDad wrote:

Holy Family is not Holy Angels (AHA). In LPH Holy Family is currently ranked #5 in class 2A and was expected by many to defeat Eden Prairie in section playoffs.
In either regard Mr Mcstott was a non factor last night. Good game by SPA, see if there top two lines can keep up with the Hawks, thank goodness for TV timeouts for them!

BlueLine_D

Post by BlueLine_D » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:15 am

Purely hypothetical but what chance do you guys think a combined SPA/Cathedral team would have going up against Hermantown on Friday? I still feel like if you took the best players from both of these teams it's still and extremely close game with Hermantown.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:19 am

BlueLine_D wrote:Purely hypothetical but what chance do you guys think a combined SPA/Cathedral team would have going up against Hermantown on Friday? I still feel like if you took the best players from both of these teams it's still and extremely close game with Hermantown.
I would agree. But then again are you saying Breck is in same class as Hermantown?

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:25 am

BlueLine_D wrote:Purely hypothetical but what chance do you guys think a combined SPA/Cathedral team would have going up against Hermantown on Friday? I still feel like if you took the best players from both of these teams it's still and extremely close game with Hermantown.
I think that SPA will give them a game. As was shown last night Hermantown's goalie is not as good as they are saying. He can be scored on if you get to him which is the trick with those D that he has in front of him. I have also seen a couple of those D screw up and get caught flat footed a couple of times which will not help him with a team who is as fast as SPA is. SPA also has a goalie who was on track last night and earlier this year when I saw him play so that will be to their advantage. The biggest thing though will be the TV time outs. Those nice little rest breaks will help SPA who does not have the depth that Hermantown does (who does anyhow, their 4th line is lethal) but does have a 1st line who can hang in there until they get tired. SPA is going to have to go for broke. Everything goes on net, always always always crash the net to put back that rebound and hope their goalie can handle the heat. I think that we have some veryt good games coming up in A now that we have culled the herd and sent the bottom half away.