AA Semifinal: Grand Rapids vs. Eden Prairie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Thunderhawks
45%
Eagles
55%

Total votes: 22

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Boy did North Dakota buy high on 21. Kids a ghost.
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

LASERBLUE135 wrote:Casey is sick! But question? Why wasn't that a stoppage before it went in the net? Delayed penalty?
Defending team has to have control of the puck, not just have it hit them.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

hshockeyfan8 wrote:
LASERBLUE135 wrote:Casey is sick! But question? Why wasn't that a stoppage before it went in the net? Delayed penalty?
Defending team has to have control of the puck, not just have it hit them.
If the same play happened, but the puck didn't go in the goal I imagine it would have been whistled dead.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

[quote="edgeless2"]Boy did North Dakota buy high on 21. Kids a ghost.[/quote
I not sure if he his just having a bad game? Haven't seen any thing but a very average high school player.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Rapids with an embarrassing outing at the X. Should've been the hounds this year.

Well, they had their fun. Time for the Hounds to come back.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Slammer wrote:Rapids with an embarrassing outing at the X. Should've been the hounds this year.

Well, they had their fun. Time for the Hounds to come back.
Rapids was better than East this year. Sometimes you just gotta take those red and grey glasses off and see reality.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Eden Prairie was the better team and that Mittlestadt guy is something else. I hate to see it end like that but it is what it is. Rapids gave it a run and tied it up in the 2nd but then the Eagles answered convincingly.

All in all, it was a good ride. I am already looking forward to next year.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Wayzata vs EP in the AA championship.
Are they not the to biggest schools in mn?
3,000 + students. Not fair, they should move up to the USHL!
grindiangrad-80

mulefarm wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:Boy did North Dakota buy high on 21. Kids a ghost.[/quote
I not sure if he his just having a bad game? Haven't seen any thing but a very average high school player.
:roll:
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

I will be interested to see if Rapids can return next year. They don't appear to lose a ton, and if McLaughlin is as good as people say, I think he makes up for whatever loss Mattson is considered.

miller was the best Rapids forward in the first two games, and it wasn't even that close.
grindiangrad-80

meridian90 wrote:I will be interested to see if Rapids can return next year. They don't appear to lose a ton, and if McLaughlin is as good as people say, I think he makes up for whatever loss Mattson is considered.

miller was the best Rapids forward in the first two games, and it wasn't even that close.
Adams was pretty good too.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Eden Prairie was the better team and that Mittlestadt guy is something else. I hate to see it end like that but it is what it is. Rapids gave it a run and tied it up in the 2nd but then the Eagles answered convincingly.

Mittlestadt was crazy good.......
Deroucher made some key saves too in the second when GR had the momentum.
That short handed goal really changed the game, I thought if Rapids got one on that power play they would also get the next 2 or 3 and they'd be on their way.
grindiangrad-80

goldy313 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Eden Prairie was the better team and that Mittlestadt guy is something else. I hate to see it end like that but it is what it is. Rapids gave it a run and tied it up in the 2nd but then the Eagles answered convincingly.

Mittlestadt was crazy good.......
Deroucher made some key saves too in the second when GR had the momentum.
That short handed goal really changed the game, I thought if Rapids got one on that power play they would also get the next 2 or 3 and they'd be on their way.
GR has always had a real tough time with Eden Prairie.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

meridian90 wrote:I will be interested to see if Rapids can return next year. They don't appear to lose a ton, and if McLaughlin is as good as people say, I think he makes up for whatever loss Mattson is considered.

Mattson, Adams, Bischoff is quite a bit to lose. But if Hain, McLaughlin, and Miller are all back they'll be in good shape.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Mittelstadt is having the best tournament performance since _______
green4

Post by green4 »

pekyman wrote:Wayzata vs EP in the AA championship.
Two Biggest schools in minnesota, probably the only two schools in the state that can't sell out their share of tickets for the X. Ep is brutal in that regard.
Wayzata appeared to sell out to the students, but there was an awkward zone where nobody was sitting that would appear to be for the community members.
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

TheNightman wrote:Mittelstadt is having the best tournament performance since _______
Someone else that has played 2 games? It doesn't mean as much if you don't close the deal. We will see.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

GR student section rocked the joint when the score got tied at 2.

A shame the Thunderhawks pooped out.....The house was pullin' for 'em.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

TheNightman wrote:Mittelstadt is having the best tournament performance since _______
Love the question and was discussing tonight. I said leddy.

Could do besse, owned the tourney as a junior, or rau.

What is his plan for next year?
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Boy the atmosphere in the first semifinal game was awesome. Back and forth chants and an attentive crowd. Was hopeful that would carry over to the second game but it didn't for the most part. Not really a rivalry between GR and Eden Prairie and or the Eden Prairie student section aren't big chanters.

Eden Prairie was pretty much in control the whole time. They are good. Rapids showed some grit and resolve coming back from a two goal deficit. They had Eden Prairie on the ropes and I thought we might be in for a barn burner, after a lackluster first period, GR was on the power play but a mistake and short handed goal pretty much killed that. Casey is really good. GR gave too much time and space. Maybe a more physical approach would have been better than trying to run and gun with them. EP defense was good at eliminating time and space.

Mattson is a good player but he struggles in traffic. He has silky smooth hands and is great at setting up plays but sometimes his legs look like they're stuck in the mud. Compared to Casey or Micah Miller whos engines are always running.

It stinks to play the "what if" card for GR since a top player was out. He would have made a difference but still may not have been enough. Still I'm left to wonder. Adams did hit 2 posts for what it's worth.

This one stings but have to refocus for tomorrow. Still a lot to play for. A 3rd place banner would be a lot nicer than a 4th place. Finish the season strong boys!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
OgieOgilthorpe2

Post by OgieOgilthorpe2 »

Had this discussion last night. Rau, Besse and Leddy were brought up, but had to go with Ness his sophomore year. Tough to compare defense to offense, but I think overall I haven't seen a player take over the tournament like this since Ness...however, we are having this conversation one day early :D
rainier

Post by rainier »

If only there was a northern team capable of beating one of these teams. :roll:

Much respect to GR. They pass up Single A glory so that they can play against the best. 18,000 people were T-Hawk fans at the X tonight, and they have nothing but respect and admiration for a team that plays with kids from their own community and doesn't rely on open enrollment in a metro area in order to find talent. It's great that Klatt doesn't let those kids down by forcing them to put inferior teams into running time in an empty arena.

Congrats to GR on a great season and hopefully they can finish in a winning note!

I think GRs defense and goaltending will both be much improved next year and their top line of Hain-Miller-McLaughlin will be the best in the state. A return trip to the X is a strong possibility.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

mulefarm wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:Boy did North Dakota buy high on 21. Kids a ghost.[/quote
Heard he showed a lot of heart and played with fifteen stitches in his hand when he was told not to. Sure he was worried about his hand opening up during the game..
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

rainier wrote:
If only there was a northern team capable of beating one of these teams. :roll:

Much respect to GR. They pass up Single A glory so that they can play against the best. 18,000 people were T-Hawk fans at the X tonight, and they have nothing but respect and admiration for a team that plays with kids from their own community and doesn't rely on open enrollment in a metro area in order to find talent. It's great that Klatt doesn't let those kids down by forcing them to put inferior teams into running time in an empty arena.

Congrats to GR on a great season and hopefully they can finish in a winning note!

I think GRs defense and goaltending will both be much improved next year and their top line of Hain-Miller-McLaughlin will be the best in the state. A return trip to the X is a strong possibility.
Well said much respect to GR. Just too much Casey.
grindiangrad-80

I have to ask. DJ and Northwoods haven't posted in a couple weeks. No way they could not be on here this weekend. Not trying to be nosy but it seems odd.