2016-17 top teams?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mavs

2016-17 top teams?

Post by Mavs » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:34 am

Who will make a run next year?

Eden Prairie, Stillwater and Grand Rapids have tons of young players coming back. If Middlested stays then these three could be contenders along with who?

Holy Family? BSM? Hill Murray? Edina? Mtka? Wayzata?

Who are the way too early favorites next year?

GP4Lhockey

Re: 2016-17 top teams?

Post by GP4Lhockey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:48 am

Mavs wrote:Who will make a run next year?

Eden Prairie, Stillwater and Grand Rapids have tons of young players coming back. If Middlested stays then these three could be contenders along with who?

Hermantown easily has to be the class AA favorites :roll:

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:48 am

Stillwater should be an early favorite for a championship. They return something like 4 of their top 5 scorers and have several good d-men returning. Benson leaving hurts, and breaking up brother tandems can really hurt the remaining one. But I've heard plenty of good things about Bensons backup; he's a big kid with skill in net.

Hill should be a top 10 team. Begley returns in goal, and they return most of their scorers. They need to improve on offense in a major way, this was the least potent Hill offense I've seen in 10 years. D will be fine even without Staum. I expect Hill to be very good, and potentially great next year.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

blueblood

next year

Post by blueblood » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:31 am

Section Finals predictions for 2017

1AA - Farmington vs. Lakeville South
2AA - Ep vs. Tonka
3AA - STA vs. Rosemount
4AA - Stillwater vs. Hill
5AA - Anoka vs. Blaine
6AA - Wayzata vs. Edina
7AA - Grand Rapids vs. East
8AA - Bemidji vs. Brainerd

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:44 am

It's always interesting to see who the forums users like for next year.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:54 am

kniven wrote:

It's always interesting to see who the forums users like for next year.
Then this will especially interest you, kniven. I think Cloquet will be a real threat in 7AA next year. They didn't lose much to graduation, most of their stars from this year will be juniors and seniors, and they have an excellent bantam team that will feed them some solid depth.

Of course GR, ER, and East are heavyweights, but I think the Jacks will close the gap and be more of a threat. Not that they'll be favorites, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them win 7AA.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:10 am

Initial thoughts:

Always worth looking at some of the top team returning 2016-17 starting goalies over 90% save percent.. Begley, Bischell, Capezza/Kelly, Enright, Fitzgerald, Holum, Meyers, Moe ., apologies to anyone I missed

Edina returning the most D1 talent, at least so far.

Elk , HM, LVN, Rapids, Stillwater returning a lot of top scorers in class

HF, BSM and Wayz , among others, returning some great Dmen.

Moorhead and Bemidji will again be neck and neck in Section 8

Centennial will probably face MG in section 5. Blaine rebuilding, but Bantams are great.

Tonka has huge amount of talent in pipeline, maybe a year away still, then watch out for about 3 years straight.

Assuming CM will be gone one way or other, last nite will be the last we see of him in MSHSL?
Last edited by WestMetro on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 am

Early departures are always a part of this conversation, but I think Edina is going to be very, very good next year.

Walker, Phillips, Scheerer, Copeland, and Brinkman...

Their only key loss is Dornbach to graduation, otherwise, nobody of real significance was lost to graduation.

eazy98

Post by eazy98 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Lakeville North could be strong depending on departures.

Poehling, Eneback, and Pehrson are the big guns and the key returns needed. If those 3 are back then they're dangerous. They'll also return some nice players in Reed Smith, Klans, Brandt, McGlade and Draeger. Spencer Schneider had lots of hype as a freshman this year and will hopefully make more of an impact as a sophomore. Might need a goalie.

Assuming Mittelstadt is gone, EP still has some nice players. Leivermann, Sullivan and Johannes are a solid core. Blackowiak seemed to impress in his 3rd line role and could be in line for more. I don't know anything about the bantam class but saw Jack Jensen is on the NTDP tryout list, so if he doesn't make that I'd assume he'd be a high end player.

Agree on the Edina comments. If they can keep that core, they should be very good with another year under their belts.

GoldenBear69

Re: next year

Post by GoldenBear69 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:24 pm

blueblood wrote:Section Finals predictions for 2017

2AA - Ep vs. Tonka
3AA - STA vs. Rosemount
5AA - Anoka vs. Blaine
6AA - Wayzata vs. Edina
- MHD will be the team to beat in 8AA

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:46 pm

It always depends on who returns, but I see a lot of people excited about Edina. I'm not so optimistic, i expect them to lose a player or two and even if they keep everyone, wayzata will be tough too.
We all saw how strong wayzata was on D, and if they keep everyone, they would return all 5 d that they played regularly. Wazcensko (however you spell it) should be able to step right in, and they only lost two forwards that were dynamic. Senden and Duma are good, but the rest of the seniors were role players and I would imagine they could find replacements for those players in that association.
Tonka should be pretty good in 2AA

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:55 pm

Good stuff!

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Cloquet will be the team to beat in 7AA next year. You heard it here first.

Hermantown should be good in the JV Bracket. They return a lot of firepower with Sandelin and the two Proctor kids.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:23 pm

In the Northern part of the state on the AA side I think Cloquet and Moorhead are both set up well for a nice 5 or 6 year stretch with some success in their respective sections.......whether they can be top 5 or higher teams at the state level is TBD.

That said.......I think they are both a year away from the meat of that run starting to come together at the high school level.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm

I'm curious to hear what Elliot sees in Section 8 next year.

Bemidji has some fantastic high end back at all positions but seems to lose a good chunk of depth. Seems like they will be a solid threat to threepeat at the X but will drop off a bit from this year. Moorhead loses most of an experienced D Corp, but should be strong up front and good in net and have some high end D coming off of the current Bantams to fill in, along with some depth from JV. Spuds should be on an uptick with last years 3rd at state Bantam team becoming juniors.....but they are probably a year away from hitting their full stride. Brainerd loses a lot of scoring so I don't see them making a major move and I don't see Roseau being a major factor......along with Buffalo or Rogers.

The seniors to be at STMA had a strong outing as 2nd year Bantams so I could see them contending for a section title as well.......but I don't know much about their roster and if they've lost any parts since then.

Put all that together and I'd see a pretty open race between Bemidji, STMA and Moorhead without a clear front runner in the group. If anyone knows more about next years STMA group it'd be great to hear more.

HornetsFan

Post by HornetsFan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:49 am

I've heard rumblings that Phillips is considering leaving Edina for juniors.

Incoming Sophomore class is apparently pretty good.

Will someone step up and fill the void left by Malmquist/Hurley in the top-end talent department? My money's on Brinkman.

Can't wait to see how the cake do next year. The tourney wasn't the same without 'em (hats off to Wayzata though).

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 am

GoldenBear69 wrote:
blueblood wrote:Section Finals predictions for 2017

2AA - Ep vs. Tonka
3AA - STA vs. Rosemount
5AA - Anoka vs. Blaine
6AA - Wayzata vs. Edina
- MHD will be the team to beat in 8AA
Moorhead, I agree.

Bemidji, Brainerd and StMA slightly behind.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:26 am

HornetsFan wrote: Incoming Sophomore class is apparently pretty good.
The Bantam AA didn't get out of Region this year. :?:

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:41 am

Section 8 guy wrote:I'm curious to hear what Elliot sees in Section 8 next year.

Bemidji has some fantastic high end back at all positions but seems to lose a good chunk of depth. Seems like they will be a solid threat to threepeat at the X but will drop off a bit from this year. Moorhead loses most of an experienced D Corp, but should be strong up front and good in net and have some high end D coming off of the current Bantams to fill in, along with some depth from JV. Spuds should be on an uptick with last years 3rd at state Bantam team becoming juniors.....but they are probably a year away from hitting their full stride. Brainerd loses a lot of scoring so I don't see them making a major move and I don't see Roseau being a major factor......along with Buffalo or Rogers.

The seniors to be at STMA had a strong outing as 2nd year Bantams so I could see them contending for a section title as well.......but I don't know much about their roster and if they've lost any parts since then.

Put all that together and I'd see a pretty open race between Bemidji, STMA and Moorhead without a clear front runner in the group. If anyone knows more about next years STMA group it'd be great to hear more.
Bemidji loses 6 forwards from their top 3 lines and their 2 senior captions on D. They will return Pollock and Tatro from their top line, along with the freshman Olson from the third line. Hartje and Lalli both return on D, as well as Fitzgerald in goal. All should be top players at their positions in 8AA. Most of the players stepping in will come from the JV. the team should be solid, but losing so much talent will be tough to overcome.

CornerBar

Post by CornerBar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 am

Assuming that the Apollo/Tech co-op goes through they are headed back to 8AA where Tech had previously resided. They have a loaded junior class, as well as a couple of solid players transferring to the area. What're you're guys' thoughts on them being potential conteders?

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:53 pm

The Hub just posted their rankings, not sure I agree with the Edina love and it is not factoring in early departures. Still fun to get thinking about next year though. http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:13 pm

TheNightman wrote:The Hub just posted their rankings, not sure I agree with the Edina love and it is not factoring in early departures. Still fun to get thinking about next year though. http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770
Wow! That's awesome!!! Nice to see 7AA with east, rapids, and the elks ranked :)

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:36 pm

eazy98 wrote:Lakeville North could be strong depending on departures.

Poehling, Eneback, and Pehrson are the big guns and the key returns needed. If those 3 are back then they're dangerous. They'll also return some nice players in Reed Smith, Klans, Brandt, McGlade and Draeger. Spencer Schneider had lots of hype as a freshman this year and will hopefully make more of an impact as a sophomore. Might need a goalie.

Assuming Mittelstadt is gone, EP still has some nice players. Leivermann, Sullivan and Johannes are a solid core. Blackowiak seemed to impress in his 3rd line role and could be in line for more. I don't know anything about the bantam class but saw Jack Jensen is on the NTDP tryout list, so if he doesn't make that I'd assume he'd be a high end player.

Agree on the Edina comments. If they can keep that core, they should be very good with another year under their belts.
My understanding Poehling will not be back. He just earned a few points this past weekend in Lincoln. My guess, a year in juniors and then SCSU. As for Eneback and/or Pehrson, they will not be far behind if they are given the right opportunity.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Agree that Cloquet will be a very interesting team next year and definitely in the 17-18 campaign.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:10 am

Section Finals predictions for 2017

agree, not much else. Farmington's last chance in a while.

2AA - Ep vs. Tonka
I'll take Prior Lake over EP, like the Tonka pick for the next 3 yrs or so. This should be a fun top 3-4 here.

3AA - STA vs. Rosemount
Jefferson over Rosemount. Jags are contenders the next 2 yrs.

agree, no one else has the horses

5AA - Anoka vs. Blaine
I'll take Centennial vs. Maple Grove here. Centennial is loaded at this age group

6AA - Wayzata vs. Edina
safe money bet. I'm in.

Elk River or Cloquet may sneak in ... but i doubt it. Solid pick

STMA over one of them ... I'll go STMA vs Moorhead
*edit to add Moorhead, thanks Elliot, missed them

Sections 6 and 7 should be the hardest paths in.

One step further ... why not? My thinking is based off of the 2013-15 Bantam AA seasons
1AA- Farmington
2AA- Minnetonka
3AA- Jefferson
4AA- Hill-Murray
5AA- Centennial
6AA- Wayzata
7AA- Grand Rapids
8AA- Moorhead
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.