Gentry Galaxy

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

Gentry Galaxy

Post by jg2112 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:27 am

A new option for winter hockey in Minnesota:

http://gentrygalaxy.com/

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:19 am

AAU?

nobody

Post by nobody » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:37 am

It says USA hockey. If they get a good turnout of Gentry kids I don't know who they will play locally. It might skim some skill off the top of MM.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:32 am

nobody wrote:It says USA hockey. If they get a good turnout of Gentry kids I don't know who they will play locally. It might skim some skill off the top of MM.
If I read the website correctly, the team will be composed entirely of Gentry kids.

They'd play national tournaments? But only play local B association teams.

The local competition would not be good. You'd imagine they would be very successful playing against 3rd level PeeWee/Bantam and U12B/U15B teams.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:01 pm

Some people won't give up.
Be kind. Rewind.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:13 pm

How can they play for MV when they don't live there ?? Or attend a school there. WHAT D2 ???

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:35 am

old goalie85 wrote:How can they play for MV when they don't live there ?? Or attend a school there. WHAT D2 ???
According to Gentry's website, their school's location is in Arden Hills, which must be for next year because they're presently in Blaine. Next year the school will evidently be housed at Gradient headquarters (which is also owned by the owners of Gentry).

The idea must be that the school will be located in the MV hockey district, and they've come to an agreement they can play B level hockey based on school attendance.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:45 am

So they will have teams loaded up and ready to compete in national tournaments and then mop up on B level competition locally? Seems strange. Will they play for MV or just be Gentry in D2?

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:37 am

I would like someone from Gentry to actually answer some questions.

Are they registering their teams as Tier 1?
Is Minnesota Hockey allowing Tier 1 to play in their state?
Do these kids only study at the rink or do they attend a school?
I see they are registered USA Hockey but under what tier and what is their schedule? Are they a part of the Tier 1 elite league? Some tier 2 league?
Will they be national eligible for their bantam 02 division?
How much is it to play, go to school, etc?
How many games?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:52 am

Their website is wrong. There is no agreement with the Mounds View Youth Hockey Association.

They'll be playing on Ramsey County rinks. Sadly, this may increase the ice costs for the Mounds View Irondale co-op, though it is expected that most of their ice time would be during school hours, which would obviously be less of a conflict. We shall see.

They didn't state anything about a deal with District 2, so I assume they'll have to work out an independent schedule. MVI will certainly be reluctant to schedule them as Gentry will attract "must win" coaches and families while the association is attempting to focus on fun and balance. Not to mention, kids nearest to Gentry will be most at risk of leaving association hockey.

Their location choice is curious, as hockey participation in area is not high and is not increasing. It's not like an overcrowded Edina or Wayzata situation where kids feel left out and take off for Minnesota Made. To my knowledge, the well off North Oaks folk are pretty happy playing association hockey. I doubt MVI will lose many kids to Gentry. To that end, I'm not sure who is in their target market.

EDIT: I was wrong about the charter school part
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:58 am

The Exiled One wrote:Their website is wrong. There is no agreement with the Mounds View Youth Hockey Association. Gentry Academy is a charter school. As such, they need a public school district to act as an 'authorizer'. That would be Mounds View Public Schools (District 621). That's how it should read.

They'll be playing on Ramsey County rinks. Sadly, this may increase the ice costs for the Mounds View Irondale co-op, though it is expected that most of their ice time would be during school hours, which would obviously be less of a conflict. We shall see.

They didn't state anything about a deal with District 2, so I assume they'll have to work out an independent schedule. MVI will certainly be reluctant to schedule them as Gentry will attract "must win" coaches and families while the association is attempting to focus on fun and balance. Not to mention, kids nearest to Gentry will be most at risk of leaving association hockey.

Their location choice is curious, as hockey participation in area is not high and is not increasing. It's not like an overcrowded Edina or Wayzata situation where kids feel left out and take off for Minnesota Made. To my knowledge, the well off North Oaks folk are pretty happy playing association hockey. I doubt MVI will lose many kids to Gentry. To that end, I'm not sure who is in their target market.
Most of my questions were what will they be playing? I understand if they play a Tier 1 AAA schedule they will not play local teams, but I am curious if that is what they are playing, as Minnesota hockey as far as I knew was not allowing new Tier 1 teams to play out of its affiliate. Also, if they are, are they a national eligible team?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 am

SouthernMinnFan wrote:Most of my questions were what will they be playing? I understand if they play a Tier 1 AAA schedule they will not play local teams, but I am curious if that is what they are playing, as Minnesota hockey as far as I knew was not allowing new Tier 1 teams to play out of its affiliate. Also, if they are, are they a national eligible team?
My comments were adding to the general discussion, not in response to your questions. Sorry for the confusion.

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:25 am

I have seen the Gradient AAA play, I would not class them as a B team. I don't know if they were all Gentry players though.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46 am

Just to add some context, the owners of Gradient (the parent and/or sponsor of Gentry Academy) are Chuck and Tami Lucius. I'm not sure where they "reside" now, but they definitely lived in North Oaks at one point. They have some talented boys in 7th and 6th grade, both of whom just finished playing for Blaine's AA Peewee team. They've played in MULTIPLE associations over the years.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:50 am

The Exiled One wrote:Just to add some context, the owners of Gradient (the parent and/or sponsor of Gentry Academy) are Chuck and Tami Lucius. I'm not sure where they "reside" now, but they definitely lived in North Oaks at one point. They have some talented boys in 7th and 6th grade, both of whom just finished playing for Blaine's AA Peewee team. They've played in MULTIPLE associations over the years.
future pros.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:52 am

The Exiled One wrote:Their website is wrong. There is no agreement with the Mounds View Youth Hockey Association. Gentry Academy is a charter school. As such, they need a public school district to act as an 'authorizer'. That would be Mounds View Public Schools (District 621). That's how it should read.

The kids that play for the Gentry Galaxy team would have two hours a day of skating at school, as they do this year, and then would also have ice time after school like an association team or MN Made. So they will be squeezing the D2 teams like Roseville, MV/I and Mahtomedi that use local Ramsey County rinks.

MV, like Blaine, Mahtomedi and Woodbury, have a not insignificant number of MN Made skaters. But MV/I isn't Gentry's target market. Figure out who is already at the school - the target market are those kids, who are from everywhere in the Cities.

There were two kids on MV/I's Pee Wee A team this past year who are students at Gentry, and I believe 5-7 MV/I eligible kids attend the school.

All that said, the school's location on the website is based on the school owner's business location. It's not to "compete," per se, with MV/I, anymore than Gentry was "competing" with Spring Lake Park for kids this past season. The school's location is just a coincidence.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:11 am

jg2112 wrote:

The kids that play for the Gentry Galaxy team would have two hours a day of skating at school, as they do this year, and then would also have ice time after school like an association team or MN Made. So they will be squeezing the D2 teams like Roseville, MV/I and Mahtomedi that use local Ramsey County rinks.

MV, like Blaine, Mahtomedi and Woodbury, have a not insignificant number of MN Made skaters. But MV/I isn't Gentry's target market. Figure out who is already at the school - the target market are those kids, who are from everywhere in the Cities.

There were two kids on MV/I's Pee Wee A team this past year who are students at Gentry, and I believe 5-7 MV/I eligible kids attend the school.

All that said, the school's location on the website is based on the school owner's business location. It's not to "compete," per se, with MV/I, anymore than Gentry was "competing" with Spring Lake Park for kids this past season. The school's location is just a coincidence.
So when they say registered with USA hockey, they are talking about a new team they are actually playing as next year, correct?? Where will that team play as far as competition wise? What will that schedule be?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:15 am

SouthernMinnFan wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

So when they say registered with USA hockey, they are talking about a new team they are actually playing as next year, correct?? Where will that team play as far as competition wise? What will that schedule be?
That's right. Their web site advertises "birth year" teams which I think would probably indicate a desire for Tier 1, and the ability to take their teams to national tournaments sanctioned by USA Hockey. I have no idea what that means for a hypothetical schedule.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:29 am

That is why I am asking. I see that they have teams for certain age groups but that would mean Minnesota is opening up Tier 1 hockey to be played out of the affiliate right? If that is the case than be prepared for other Tier 1 programs to open up around the state.

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:14 am

Gentry draws from all over. Kids go to school at Gentry they can play at Gentry. FWIW I have known quite a few of them- they may have some b players, but I have never met one.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:55 am

Most likely they will play Tier II...just like the HP teams will be doing

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:10 am

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Wow thanks for the Gentry commercial, YHH.
This is actually humorous.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:14 pm

I cannot imagine their "Tier I hockey program" actually being recognized as Tier I by USA Hockey. An independent AAA team perhaps. Not a big deal as just one tournament where it matters, Bantam nationals.

How many paying students are at Gentry Academy now? I know these things have a checkered history in Minnesota. Northern Educate, Bauer whatever, and now Gentry.

I wish them well.

Kudos for Tony for landing a sponsor.

"Elk River"
Be kind. Rewind.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:31 am

Getting a bit more info. Looks like kids tryout for the Tier 1 team. If they don't make it, they can play association instead. Not sure if it'll be under their own moniker or if they play for their local association. Playing under their own moniker might be the "agreement" they have to make with MVYHA. I'll let you know when I learn more.