Coaching Changes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:50 am

C-dad wrote:
panpan111 wrote:Is Herbst out at BSM?
Is that a question, a rumor, or confirmed?
It is just rumor and perhaps a wish by more than a few at BSM. But no truth to this at this time....

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:35 am

1. Edina – Laura Slominski – NEW:
2. Eagan – Kallie Flor & Ryan St.Martin – NEW:
3. Bloomington Jefferson – Craig Shepherd – NEW:
4. North Wright County – Jason Johnson – NEW:
5. Buffalo – Ray Dahlof – NEW:
6. Hastings – Jeff Corkish – NEW:
7. Cretin Deram Hall – John Pohl & Krissy Wendell-Pohl – NEW:

There are some really good coaches leaving the girls game this year. With some high profile jobs opening up, with at least one more big name program opening up this week. The game as a whole is in a better spot than it's ever been, and we can only hope that there are some quality coaches ready fill all the open spots and continue to grow the game.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 am

The Pohl's leaving CDH is a surprise. Anyone have any insight as to why, and what they will be doing next?

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:42 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:The Pohl's leaving CDH is a surprise. Anyone have any insight as to why, and what they will be doing next?
Although it wasn't said by the exiting coaching staff as the reason, it's been well known that they have been threatened by a lawsuit all season long by a family that had a senior that didn't make the varsity this year.
Hockey does crazy things to people...

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:02 am

Hansonbrother wrote:Although it wasn't said by the exiting coaching staff as the reason, it's been well known that they have been threatened by a lawsuit all season long by a family that had a senior that didn't make the varsity this year.

One can only hope that the family didn't carry out their threat because it's preposterous and would set a terrible legal precedent if such a suit went anywhere. Also I have my doubts that the mere existence of the parents' "threat" to sue would be the reason (or the main reason) why the Pohl's decided to step down. On the other hand if it did play a significant role in their decision it wouldn't be the first time that a coach resigned because of overbearing parents making life miserable and not worth the meager salary that high school coaches are paid.
Hansonbrother wrote:Hockey does crazy things to people...
On this I think everyone here can agree!

knights14

Post by knights14 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:45 am

Or it could be that John and family have never made it to the dance.Hand picked Loaded teams, nice overall records year to year, talent restocked year to year, but cant get to the show. Looks like a pattern to me. :D

Benfishin

Post by Benfishin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 am

[quote="knights14"]Or it could be that John and family have never made it to the dance.Hand picked Loaded teams, nice overall records year to year, talent restocked year to year, but cant get to the show. Looks like a pattern to me. :D[/quote]

Yea, that's it. Another guy with an axe to grind.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:06 am

knights14 wrote:Or it could be that John and family have never made it to the dance.Hand picked Loaded teams, nice overall records year to year, talent restocked year to year, but cant get to the show. Looks like a pattern to me. :D
Have you been watching the same Cretin teams that I have been the last 5 years?? They have been nothing of what you are calling them. Last year they had one player that did all of their scoring, with a couple of better than average role players. Not nearly enough talent to get past Hill Murray, (of which your description above fits far better than the one you gave Cretin.) This year, a vast majority of their talent is underclass...and they would have to get past Edina. They don't get to the dance because their sections are brutal. Who ever gets this team next inherits a really nice group of kids to do some damage with in their conference and section.

knights14

Post by knights14 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:16 am

No ax to grind or horse in the race just a boys and girls hockey fan having an opinion (God forbid.) I'm assuming John is a great individual and coach but he can't get it done in sections with incredible talent up and down the lineup year after year. Facts are facts. :roll:

TheMayor

Post by TheMayor » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:25 am

knights14 wrote:No ax to grind or horse in the race just a boys and girls hockey fan having an opinion (God forbid.) I'm assuming John is a great individual and coach but he can't get it done in sections with incredible talent up and down the lineup year after year. Facts are facts. :roll:
First two posts come in ripping the Pohls and no axe to grind? Please provide more detail on your vast insight. Your "opinion" is a bit too strong to not have some agenda that you're leaving out. I find it hard to believe that they had near the talent that Hill had the last few years, but that's just my opinion. BTW, doesn't every coach "hand pick" their team? I'm not really sure what that means.

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:44 am

The past 10 years Cretin has had to compete with some pretty good Roseville, Stillwater and now Hill-Murray teams in the section. In that time period section 4AA has won 5 state titles, 2 second place and 1 third place finishes. They did win the section in 08' and took 3rd place at state that year. Now they are in section 6AA with Edina to get by which won't be easy. But there is no way they have had anywhere near the talent depth that Hill-Murray has had recently. So to say he had incredible talent is a pretty big overstatement in my opinion. How many D1 players have they had the past few 5 years? I bet it isn't even as many as Hill has had this year alone. I wish him well and have a feeling he will show up coaching again someplace soon.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:16 am

hockeywild7 wrote:How many D1 players have they had the past few 5 years? I bet it isn't even as many as Hill has had this year alone.
That's what I was wondering myself...offhand I can't think of any. It seems like Pohl's have overachieved, if anything, with the talent they have had. Best of luck to them in whatever they decide to do next.

knights14

Post by knights14 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:17 am

Im not sure what you mean by ripping John in the first 2 posts? If you call saying he has had a nice record and that i assume he is a great individual and coach ripping then i need some serious ripping lessons. I only stated he has not made it out of sections with some pretty loaded and talented teams. This year they beat Eden prairie who last time i checked is the state champ. Not enough info for ya how about a nice win over Wayzata or a 1 goal loss too Breck. Were they a power house? no probably not but they were more then capable of beating Wayzata and Edina at sections. Last year he had another great team but lost to Hill in sections, yea Hill is very good but so was Cretin. Minor upsets happen all the time at sections and some coach's are just better at saying the right things and working the chess match then others. I wish John all the greatness and luck in the world i am sure he will land on his feet in a great spot. And why play dumb when you know exactly what i mean by hand picked.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
hockeywild7 wrote:How many D1 players have they had the past few 5 years? I bet it isn't even as many as Hill has had this year alone.
That's what I was wondering myself...offhand I can't think of any. It seems like Pohl's have overachieved, if anything, with the talent they have had. Best of luck to them in whatever they decide to do next.
Paige Voight (u18 national team member) and goalie Emma may (now at Minnesota) come to mind.

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:12 pm

ouch..... At least I just rip on numbers and not going after Coaches. I think it is best to leave them alone, you should have just transferred to Breck or Blake I am sure they would have had a spot :D

Benfishin

Post by Benfishin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:31 pm

I think knights14 is itsfoilcoach. Haven't heard from itsfoilciach after getting called out for ripping on Corkish for not taking a team to state and now knights14 shows up ripping on Pohl for not making a state tourney. Hmmm??Really??? You wonder why good coaches quit.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Benfishin wrote:I think knights14 is itsfoilcoach. Haven't heard from itsfoilciach after getting called out for ripping on Corkish for not taking a team to state and now knights14 shows up ripping on Pohl for not making a state tourney. Hmmm??Really??? You wonder why good coaches quit.
Wait, I thought MNHock and I figured out itsfoil was greatone99. #-o

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Benfishin wrote:I think knights14 is itsfoilcoach. Haven't heard from itsfoilciach after getting called out for ripping on Corkish for not taking a team to state and now knights14 shows up ripping on Pohl for not making a state tourney. Hmmm??Really??? You wonder why good coaches quit.
Yep, they quit because of anonymous posts on obscure forums. That has to be the main reason.

knights14

Post by knights14 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Well it seems a few of you have a love affair with John so i will put it to rest. I never once said John was a bad coach i actually said he has had a good record and has beat some very good teams. How is that ripping? All i did was state the fact that with some very talented teams he has not made it past sections and only once into the section final. Thats truth not ripping or stretching the truth. I would think SOME of the Cretin players and parents would disagree with some of you who say they have never had the talent or are just role players. Now that to me is ripping. Also how can you go back 10 years he hasn't been there 10 years. Oh by the way i know Corkish and he is a great coach and ambassador for girls hockey he will be missed. WOW gotta have your tissue ready in this forum. :lol:

TheMayor

Post by TheMayor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:14 am

luckyEPDad wrote:
Yep, they quit because of anonymous posts on obscure forums. That has to be the main reason.
Probably not. But those very well could the same kind of ripping they were hearing from parents around the team. That IS one of the reasons coaches quit.

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 am

No, nothing posted on any forum is going to make a coach quit but it does provide for some insight into what people base opinions of coaches on. Those of us who have never been behind a varsity bench tend to have lots of opinions on how to be successful and why some coaches are or are not. And I doubt any of those coaches even know these forums exist or could care less about what might be said on one if they are aware.

Well Driller

Post by Well Driller » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 pm

Don't kid yourself. Coaches are well aware the forums exist. 50% of coaches quit due to idiot parents. Maybe even higher. I hadn't heard about a looming lawsuit at CDH. What a joke.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Well Driller wrote:Don't kid yourself. Coaches are well aware the forums exist. 50% of coaches quit due to idiot parents. Maybe even higher. I hadn't heard about a looming lawsuit at CDH. What a joke.
I think the number is higher than 50% due to idiot parents. Rarely do coaches get out because they just wanted to. Its usually because a group of parents want things done differently for their kid(s) and raise such a stink with Athletic Directors that it forces them to either let kids leave or make the coaches leave. As I've heard from a friend of mine, winning solves a lot of problems. Its funny, I remember when Tony Scheid and Vic Brodt could do no wrong...now these programs are asking when they're going to quit. Will this happen to Eric Johnson and Bill Schaffhauser if their programs go south for a few years?? You know, it might not be the coaches, but the kids they're given to work with....just a thought.
And regarding the lawsuit...yes it is a joke...hopefully it satisfied/validated something... cuz it seems pointless to the rest of us.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:59 am

Coaching changes because of parents happens on the boys' side, too, so no surprises here.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:03 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:
Wow... I take a few weeks off to recover from Hill losing, and I get lit up a little. I guess some of you really missed me. I wont be gone for so long next time.
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.