EP Medals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:47 am

Regarding the Rapids player on the ice: Something similar occurred when Benilde won in 2012. A player who had been ejected from the title game for spearing wasn't allowed on the ice afterward. Neither was Jablonski, who wasn't on the tournament roster. Here's the link to the forum discussion of the issue:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... elebration

Maybe MSHSL has changed/softened its position on such players in the last four years. I'm guessing there have been other situations in other sports over the years, as well.

My personal opinion is that Klatt seems to be a good guy. Otherwise I'm not that fired up about it either way.

As for Middlestadt, he posted the following to his Twitter account after the game:

https://twitter.com/CMittelstadt/status ... 7427841028

In response to someone who called him out for removing his medal, he tweeted:

"I'm sorry sir, it was in the heat of the moment after we played our hearts out and missed our dream by one period."

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:17 am

Well, good thread to remind the obvious- that 16-18 year old kids can and will make big big dumb mistakes. At least knowing they are hockey players, there are way fewer spare hours to make big mistakes. But some will always happen anyway. Gotta believe all these kids have already learned from theirs.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:32 am

I got a second hand report that Lakeville North players behaved poorly in regards to their 2nd place medals at the section final.

Can I get a first hand report on that?

It may be time for coaches to remind their runner-up kids of how and why to act graciously. We admire people who do the right thing not because it is the easy thing to do but because it is the difficult thing to do. As noted, kids will be immature, but that's why there is an adult in the room.

Get the kids together for a quick huddle, remind them of all they accomplished that season, remind them that even at 16/17 years old they are role models for younger kids, and acknowledge that they are hurting.

It's tough because you can't bring it up beforehand, like, "If you guys lose this game, don't embarrass yourselves."

mnhockey1501

Post by mnhockey1501 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:45 am

I know I'm late on this, but I felt I should say it anyway. Going to the State Tournament, or winning it is a dream for any kid growing up playing hockey in Minnesota, and most kids are lucky to even get one chance at either of them. Kids spend their whole life working up to that moment, and if they miss it by a goal or two, you can't expect them to be all smiles immediately after. I'm sure Mittelstadt was regretful after the fact, but can you blame him? He's a junior in high school who had worked his whole life for the state championship, and I'm sure his emotions were running high. Give these kids a break sometimes, because that's what they are, kids.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:26 pm

mnhockey1501 wrote:I know I'm late on this, but I felt I should say it anyway. Going to the State Tournament, or winning it is a dream for any kid growing up playing hockey in Minnesota, and most kids are lucky to even get one chance at either of them. Kids spend their whole life working up to that moment, and if they miss it by a goal or two, you can't expect them to be all smiles immediately after. I'm sure Mittelstadt was regretful after the fact, but can you blame him? He's a junior in high school who had worked his whole life for the state championship, and I'm sure his emotions were running high. Give these kids a break sometimes, because that's what they are, kids.
Easily, Mittelstadt was the best player on the ice all weekend, Period. We knew it, the media knew it, and he knew it. Nobody would expect "all smiles" after any loss. Championships and high level emotions should not be a free pass to embarrass yourself, your family, and team like that. I'm sure he has played in some pretty big games before, and he knew the cameras were rolling. It was disrespect on a big stage. By now, he knows hockey to be his business, and of course he took the time to respond on social media. His handlers most likely told him to do it. Just can't wait to see a squirt take his medal off like his hero, because he worked his whole life to win the Squirtacular.

Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:39 pm

4on5again wrote:
mnhockey1501 wrote:I know I'm late on this, but I felt I should say it anyway. Going to the State Tournament, or winning it is a dream for any kid growing up playing hockey in Minnesota, and most kids are lucky to even get one chance at either of them. Kids spend their whole life working up to that moment, and if they miss it by a goal or two, you can't expect them to be all smiles immediately after. I'm sure Mittelstadt was regretful after the fact, but can you blame him? He's a junior in high school who had worked his whole life for the state championship, and I'm sure his emotions were running high. Give these kids a break sometimes, because that's what they are, kids.
Easily, Mittelstadt was the best player on the ice all weekend, Period. We knew it, the media knew it, and he knew it. Nobody would expect "all smiles" after any loss. Championships and high level emotions should not be a free pass to embarrass yourself, your family, and team like that. I'm sure he has played in some pretty big games before, and he knew the cameras were rolling. It was disrespect on a big stage. By now, he knows hockey to be his business, and of course he took the time to respond on social media. His handlers most likely told him to do it. Just can't wait to see a squirt take his medal off like his hero, because he worked his whole life to win the Squirtacular.
If only everyone was perfect like you. Give it a rest, idiot!
Last edited by Bluelightspecial-II on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:39 pm

east hockey wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
north_bear wrote:I don't have a problem with that. I guess we'll see if the MSHSL does but I would be surprised if they did. He is on the team and served his suspension. Classy move by Klatt if you ask me.
The suspension is not yet served. x # of games or two weeks of, whichever is longer. Will sit beginning of fall 2016.
If he plays in a spring sport, can he serve his suspension so as to not miss out on any hockey?

Lee
Yes and no. I believe it is up to the school/district. I know schools that have had an athlete (who have violate HS rules) require them to serve their suspension in the sport the violation occurred in. As for the coach letting the suspended player (non-rostered ) receive a medal on the ice, my guess...the AD/MSHSL will have something to say about this.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:
4on5again wrote:
I'm not going to hurl an insult back at you.

Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:01 am

4on5again wrote:
4on5again wrote:
But you have no problem bashing a teenager?

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:31 am

First of all the suspension is 2 weeks or 2 games which is ever longer. How long has he missed so far? Cause he missed the two games already so now it goes to two weeks. So he will have to miss that many days next year. My guess is no games. Meaning of he missed a week already then would have another week.

And I'm also pretty sure he can play in any scrimmages at the beginning of the year too.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:50 pm

4on5again wrote:
4on5again wrote:
Watch your ticker there big guy. I complimented the kid on his outstanding play. Perhaps bigger problems occur when we continue to make excuses for them.

hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:01 am

CM might have been the best player on the ice on Thursday and Friday against an average Anoka team and an above average GR team but against a solid Wayzata team he was really no where to be found.

cant be too hard on the kids for removing the medals in the heat of the moment

Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:15 pm

4on5again wrote:
4on5again wrote:
4on5again wrote:
Watch your ticker there big guy. I complimented the kid on his outstanding play. Perhaps bigger problems occur when we continue to make excuses for them.
Tickers is good shape. If you're truly concerned about the message this maybe sending your squirt, I would start by taking away the cell phone, iPad and limiting the amount of tv he/she is allowed to watch. There's much more to be concerned about than a highschool kid removing his medal. Hell, I'll bet, most squirts didn't even notice, until their parents said something.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:31 am

hockeygirl2 wrote:CM might have been the best player on the ice on Thursday and Friday against an average Anoka team and an above average GR team but against a solid Wayzata team he was really no where to be found.

didn't he have three points in the game? Hardly invisible.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

blueblood

Ep

Post by blueblood » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:08 am

I don't know what game you were watching hg2.

gitter

Post by gitter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:27 am

DrGaf wrote:
hockeygirl2 wrote:CM might have been the best player on the ice on Thursday and Friday against an average Anoka team and an above average GR team but against a solid Wayzata team he was really no where to be found.

didn't he have three points in the game? Hardly invisible.
I believe if you check the box score he only had 1 goal. Now I wouldn't say because of that he was invisible...

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:54 am

He definitely wasn't invisible. However, if you can hold him to one power play goal, when he scored 10 or 11 points in the first two games, that is pretty good. Also, I believe the last time EP played Wayzata a month before, CM had one assist in that game in the Wayzata victory. So the conclusion is that Wayzata did a good job containing CM and keeping him off the scoring sheet. Not that he was invisible. GB

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 am

GoldenBear wrote:He definitely wasn't invisible. However, if you can hold him to one power play goal, when he scored 10 or 11 points in the first two games, that is pretty good. Also, I believe the last time EP played Wayzata a month before, CM had one assist in that game in the Wayzata victory. So the conclusion is that Wayzata did a good job containing CM and keeping him off the scoring sheet. Not that he was invisible. GB
Mittelstadt did a better job at being invisible in the earlier games. He wasn't invisible during the Wayzata game. They knew exactly where he was all the time.

hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:57 pm

CM does not like the physical play generally that Wayzata brings. He avoids it and plays differently when playing a solid physical team than when he plays a team like Anoka. Didn't say he wasn't a good player because he is but the way to play him is be physical. He will have to figure this out before college or the USHL. I suspect he won't do either next year but no one would blame him for coming back to high school. The other ep kid played much better against Wayzata and was better able to deal with the physical play and I think because he is a bigger kid than Cm. IMHO

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:46 am

hockeygirl2 wrote:CM does not like the physical play generally that Wayzata brings. He avoids it and plays differently when playing a solid physical team than when he plays a team like Anoka. Didn't say he wasn't a good player because he is but the way to play him is be physical. He will have to figure this out before college or the USHL. I suspect he won't do either next year but no one would blame him for coming back to high school. The other ep kid played much better against Wayzata and was better able to deal with the physical play and I think because he is a bigger kid than Cm. IMHO
You prove your own point it not knowing much that you expect CM to be back at EP? :lol: :lol:

That is the least likely out of his 3 options. And he is not a good player, he is a sensational talent!!

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:07 am

InYourFace09 wrote:
hockeygirl2 wrote:CM does not like the physical play generally that Wayzata brings. He avoids it and plays differently when playing a solid physical team than when he plays a team like Anoka. Didn't say he wasn't a good player because he is but the way to play him is be physical. He will have to figure this out before college or the USHL. I suspect he won't do either next year but no one would blame him for coming back to high school. The other ep kid played much better against Wayzata and was better able to deal with the physical play and I think because he is a bigger kid than Cm. IMHO
You prove your own point it not knowing much that you expect CM to be back at EP? :lol: :lol:

That is the least likely out of his 3 options. And he is not a good player, he is a sensational talent!!
Time will tell. He is one of the best HS players in the state. Recent history says that translates to being a good college player and a maybe a journeyman NHL player. I am less impressed with Mittelstadt than I was with Rau, Bjudstad or Leddy. There are a lot of really good 16-17 year old hockey players and we don't get to see most of them play.

Miracleon82ndstreet

Post by Miracleon82ndstreet » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:20 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:

Time will tell. He is one of the best HS players in the state. Recent history says that translates to being a good college player and a maybe a journeyman NHL player. I am less impressed with Mittelstadt than I was with Rau, Bjudstad or Leddy. There are a lot of really good 16-17 year old hockey players and we don't get to see most of them play.
CM was the best player on the ice during the tournament and one of the best I have seen this year. He doesn't like to get hit and this was evident during the game. Wayzata played the body on him every opportunity they had the chance. They took him out of his game. Hats off to Wayzata for executing there game plan. EP had two 5 minute power plays and only scored one goal and gave up a shorty. That was the dagger. IMHO
On a couple of Wayzata goals the EP goalie was way out of position. Pretty soft goals. The old saying "Offense wins games and Defense wins Championships". The Wayzata goalie was solid.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:43 pm

luckyEPDad wrote: I am less impressed with Mittelstadt than I was with Rau, Bjudstad or Leddy. There are a lot of really good 16-17 year old hockey players and we don't get to see most of them play.
:shock: :shock: :?: :?:

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote: I am less impressed with Mittelstadt than I was with Rau, Bjudstad or Leddy. There are a lot of really good 16-17 year old hockey players and we don't get to see most of them play.
:shock: :shock: :?: :?:
I would only put Ness, Bjugstadt, kloos, Rau in the same neighborhood as Casey at this point in HS. That being said according to scouting bureau he will be drafted higher than all of them. I'm not a huge fan of CSB but that says a helluva lot about a kid a year away from being drafted.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:36 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:I got a second hand report that Lakeville North players behaved poorly in regards to their 2nd place medals at the section final.

Can I get a first hand report on that?

It may be time for coaches to remind their runner-up kids of how and why to act graciously. We admire people who do the right thing not because it is the easy thing to do but because it is the difficult thing to do. As noted, kids will be immature, but that's why there is an adult in the room.

Get the kids together for a quick huddle, remind them of all they accomplished that season, remind them that even at 16/17 years old they are role models for younger kids, and acknowledge that they are hurting.

It's tough because you can't bring it up beforehand, like, "If you guys lose this game, don't embarrass yourselves."
Yes, you wait until the locker room to do the tirade like Rohlik did his last year coach HM with a #1 team that lost to WBL in section finals...