Bethel Park Pennsylvania 3 Wayzata Minnesota State Champs 2

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

batman

Post by batman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:14 am

USA Hockey High School Nationals

Bethel Park is the # 8 Seed in Class AAA in Western Pa and maybe some people from the State of Hockey will have a little more respect for our hockey players and schools here in Western Pennsylvania

Congrats to Bethel Park PA !

SouthernMinnFan

Re: Bethel Park Pennsylvania 3 Wayzata Minnesota State Champ

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:32 am

batman wrote:Bethel Park Pennsylvania 3 Wayzata Minnesota State Champs 2

Bethel Park is the # 8 Seed in Class AAA in Western Pa and maybe some people from the State of Hockey will have a little more respect for our hockey players and schools here in Western Pennsylvania

Just in case you or anyone else wasn't aware, the "High School" teams that are playing in nationals from Minnesota are Junior Gold teams. That means they are kids that were cut from the Varsity and Junior Varsity programs but are still playing. So congrats on beating the third team from one high school in Minnesota by 1.

SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:36 am

For the record I do realize that the best players from Pennsylvania are playing Midget hockey so basically it is the third string from Minnesota vs the third string from Pennsylvania. Must be exciting hockey.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:10 am

Wayzata's actual State Champion varsity team would beat any HS team from PA by 15 goals.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

cigar

Post by cigar » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:46 am

funny,

batman with his own foot in his mouth...

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:32 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Wayzata's actual State Champion varsity team would beat any HS team from PA by 15 goals.
What are the odds of Pennsylvania's best HS team beating Minnesota's best HS team?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 am

Shootout loss, to be specific.

Here is the Wayzata team participating. Here is the Edina team participating. Here is the tournament in question.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:00 am

Pretty sure my Monday night beer league team could beat Northwest MD.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:38 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Wayzata's actual State Champion varsity team would beat any HS team from PA by 15 goals.
Where have you been hiding during Rapids state run? We thought you ran into a bear or something!

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:16 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Where have you been hiding during Rapids state run? We thought you ran into a bear or something!
Just took a break from the board while I was in Minnesota. Going to all those games was enough hockey for me at the time.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

O-townClown

All Minnesota Affair

Post by O-townClown » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Edina vs. Wayzata tomorrow in the final.
Be kind. Rewind.

green4

Re: All Minnesota Affair

Post by green4 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:46 pm

O-townClown wrote:Edina vs. Wayzata tomorrow in the final.
It would be pretty comical if Wayzata wins and can claim 'national champion' over the team that beat them to be 'state champions'.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:00 pm

It would be comical if the game went 5 ots the average number of over times that these two teams have played in championship games the past two years and 60 people would miss their flights home and have to pay for an additional night lodging and extra air fair costs. Just kidding I hope this doesn't happen. GB

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:36 am

It was a SO win vs one of our Top Jr Gold teams. Not our high school state champs. My lord.

And it other action,
Regis Jesuit CO 4, Bethel Park PA 2
JSerra CA 5, Bethel Park PA 2

Western PA better starting respecting the hockey players and school they have in Colorado and California.

Congrats to Wayzata and Edina for taking #1 & #2 in the nation. Good job boys!

green4

Post by green4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:24 am

Wayzata wins 2-1 in only one OT. I believe they scored with 11 seconds left in the 3rd to tie it.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:45 am

Ignoring the original post ...

Serious question here, where does the 'bored' feel that a competitive JV level team would land in this tourney? This goes under the assumption that the JV could beat the JGA in head-to-head. Would a Tonka / Wayzata / Edina JV team get worn down through a tourney like this? I have to imagine the physicality could take a toll on them.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:49 am

OK, i can't ignore the original post. Wouldn't it cross your mind to fact check this at all? Hell, if i saw Wayzata beat Shattuck I'm still going to double check which team it was before I say something dumb. (dumber than normal.)
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

green4

Post by green4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:10 am

DrGaf wrote:Ignoring the original post ...

Serious question here, where does the 'bored' feel that a competitive JV level team would land in this tourney? This goes under the assumption that the JV could beat the JGA in head-to-head. Would a Tonka / Wayzata / Edina JV team get worn down through a tourney like this? I have to imagine the physicality could take a toll on them.
I think edina's JV or any other top program would be comparable to their top level Jga team.
The JV team is mostly 10th graders and a few juniors, they probably have more skill, but they are smaller and younger.
Jga probably has a third of a team of kids who played JV or perhaps even a few minutes of varsity. Jga would probably have better top players because of age, but their depth woudnt be as good.
So, I would say a top level JV team would be right there with these two teams in a tournament like this.

O-townClown

Re: All Minnesota Affair

Post by O-townClown » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm

green4 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:Edina vs. Wayzata tomorrow in the final.
It would be pretty comical if Wayzata wins and can claim 'national champion' over the team that beat them to be 'state champions'.
Hey, Arizona finished 5th in the Pac 10 and won the National Championship one year and nobody complained because they were playing so well in doing so. I don't find it comical, but certainly possible.
Be kind. Rewind.

Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:53 am

Nice to see some interest here for the JGA teams from Minnesota. Since most of you are not familiar with the programs of recent years, here are my observations since I was at the Tourney and my son has played in many of these big games.
Edina and Wayzata are clearly the top tier of JG hockey. WBL, SLP, Lakeville, and Minnetonka are the next; then there is a rapid drop off in quality. Edina and Wayzata develop a lot of “good” hockey players (both from strong numbers and coaching). These associations contribute a lot of good players to the private schools as well. It is not a bad thing to play JGA in those associations-many quality players choose that option since there is a very positive atmosphere there and they just don’t want to play HS hockey for a variety of reasons. About one third of the team is actually cut their senior year from the high school team, the rest never try out. Several of the kids who don’t try out could have made the high school team if they chose to play. Several of the seniors cut could have been 3rd or 4th liners, but the HS coaches usually try to fill those spots with younger players. I believe the JGA team from Edina and Wayzata would easily beat the JV teams of their respective schools.
National tourney observations: The Minnesota teams had a hard time adjusting to the style of officiating at the tourney. Lots of 2 and 10s given for things that would not have been called a penalty here. Every time a kid fell it was like a penalty had to be called. This disrupted the flow of the game tremendously. You could tell the non-Minnesota teams focused a lot of practice time on special teams. That was the difference in the OT losses both teams had. However, they let the kids play in the championship game which was a very entertaining contest. The goalies were outstanding and could play on 95% of the high school team in the state. I think either team would be very competitive at the A level, and beat many AA teams in the state. They don’t have the elite talent, but there is a lot of depth.
The top teams from the rest of the country would be competitive at the Minnesota A level in high school. Some of the teams have kids that play both midget on the weekends, and on their HS team during the week. A different model, but still allows some of their top players to play on the high school team as well.
Overall, a good showing by Minnesota. It really highlighted the depth of Minnesota Hockey which compliments the already established elite level of hockey played in the state.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:47 am

Toomuchtoosoon wrote:Nice to see some interest here for the JGA teams from Minnesota. Since most of you are not familiar with the programs of recent years, here are my observations since I was at the Tourney and my son has played in many of these big games.
Edina and Wayzata are clearly the top tier of JG hockey. WBL, SLP, Lakeville, and Minnetonka are the next; then there is a rapid drop off in quality. Edina and Wayzata develop a lot of “good” hockey players (both from strong numbers and coaching). These associations contribute a lot of good players to the private schools as well. It is not a bad thing to play JGA in those associations-many quality players choose that option since there is a very positive atmosphere there and they just don’t want to play HS hockey for a variety of reasons. About one third of the team is actually cut their senior year from the high school team, the rest never try out. Several of the kids who don’t try out could have made the high school team if they chose to play. Several of the seniors cut could have been 3rd or 4th liners, but the HS coaches usually try to fill those spots with younger players. I believe the JGA team from Edina and Wayzata would easily beat the JV teams of their respective schools.
National tourney observations: The Minnesota teams had a hard time adjusting to the style of officiating at the tourney. Lots of 2 and 10s given for things that would not have been called a penalty here. Every time a kid fell it was like a penalty had to be called. This disrupted the flow of the game tremendously. You could tell the non-Minnesota teams focused a lot of practice time on special teams. That was the difference in the OT losses both teams had. However, they let the kids play in the championship game which was a very entertaining contest. The goalies were outstanding and could play on 95% of the high school team in the state. I think either team would be very competitive at the A level, and beat many AA teams in the state. They don’t have the elite talent, but there is a lot of depth.
The top teams from the rest of the country would be competitive at the Minnesota A level in high school. Some of the teams have kids that play both midget on the weekends, and on their HS team during the week. A different model, but still allows some of their top players to play on the high school team as well.
Overall, a good showing by Minnesota. It really highlighted the depth of Minnesota Hockey which compliments the already established elite level of hockey played in the state.

It's nice to see the JG is alive and well in MN and seeing success with their numbers. It looks like there were 20 JGU16 teams, 12 JGA, and 39 JGB. My observations and comments usually are found on the girls side of this board. Over the past several years, the average number of teams that participate at U19 is six. Simply Terrible. For boys, as noted, many are fine with not playing high school hockey. Commitment is a little less as it appears there are about 4 activities per week from looking at a few team pages. For U19 it's even less with 2 or 3 activities per week. For some reason, some girls find that playing high school hockey (being on varsity or JV) is more of a status symbol than having passion for playing the game. If they cannot make high school, they quit. For boys, I'm sure some quit, but due to the health of the JG leagues, quitting seems to be the minority. Maybe the answer is to reduce the cost (same cost for every player on every team). Maybe MNH needs to sweeten up the pot by granting the state champion at U19 Tier 2 status so they have a change to play at USAH Nationals. Sorry for sounding off on this side of the board, but it's hard to understand why girls numbers drop off, but the boys are healthy at this level. There's no way the girls could produce 71 teams like JG. But 15 or 16 teams should be doable (200-225 metro area or near metro players).

lsqrank01

Post by lsqrank01 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:38 am

Here is a comparison of Minnesota HS teams against other states that was computed from 2015-2016 season data. The "score" on the Y-axis can actually be used to predict a score differential between any two teams, at least its a approximate value. The top PA team has a score of ~992.5 where as the top 100 MN/ND High school teams are all above 992.5
Image[/url]

BigTen

Post by BigTen » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:59 am

lsqrank01 wrote:Here is a comparison of Minnesota HS teams against other states that was computed from 2015-2016 season data. The "score" on the Y-axis can actually be used to predict a score differential between any two teams, at least its a approximate value. The top PA team has a score of ~992.5 where as the top 100 MN/ND High school teams are all above 992.5
Image[/url]

Question: What do the X axis numbers represent?

lsqrank01

Post by lsqrank01 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 am

The X axis is just the running total of teams in each state or region.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:36 pm

There is no way the top Junior Gold A teams could beat many AA HS teams. Actually they would get crushed by the majority of the HS AA teams. JGA hockey is fun and it lets kids enjoy hockey at a competitive level and stay in the game.