Klatt Resigns

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Klatt Resigns

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Grand Rapids coach Trent Klatt has resigned. Awaiting more details.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:15 pm

3rd not good enough? Wow, what a surprise! Huge loss for GR!

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Sad sad sad. Great role model for the boys and pretty darn good coach.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Terrible news. No way they get someone as knowledgeable. Huge loss.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:26 pm

GRHS Twitter has a post that it MIGHT be related the the medal award controversy , still too early to know for sure

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 pm

WestMetro wrote:GRHS Twitter has a post that it MIGHT be related the the medal award controversy , still too early to know for sure
The medal controversy alone seems like too little to drive someone out. If that were the case, he could just admit he made a mistake in his rush to acknowledge a player who was an important part of the team and move on. Sure, a brief suspension is probably in order, but straight-up resignation suggests it's either unrelated, or there's more to the story.

kniven

Re: Klatt Resigns

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 pm

karl(east) wrote:Grand Rapids coach Trent Klatt has resigned. Awaiting more details.
Wow! That's very dissapointing news for Grand Rapids! Wow!!

kniven

Re: Klatt Resigns

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:03 pm

kniven wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Grand Rapids coach Trent Klatt has resigned. Awaiting more details.
Wow! That's very dissapointing news for Grand Rapids! Wow!!
And I saw coach Klatt at the all-star festivities in great spirits. Must have been a recent and sudden decision. Coach was so engaged at that game having a blast. Wow

boblee

Post by boblee » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:37 pm

WestMetro wrote:GRHS Twitter has a post that it MIGHT be related the the medal award controversy , still too early to know for sure
Could you show me this post that we allegedly put other there? Because we didn't and it isn't.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:48 pm

AD Campbell should be the one who pays for the medal drama and the drinking witch hunt that followed the tournament. She has been a train wreck ever since she arrived in town. The wrong person is taking the fall.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:18 pm

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:01 pm

Don't understand how the AD is at fault for players getting caught drinking.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, BobLee , I guess the quicker the administration can get out a press release the better, including details of the path ahead

And any other stories that people might want to offer in whatever media outlets, GRHS, Forum , YHH would be three good ones

Coach did his job, got to the X and the third place medals for the program and the kids

I for one would like to hear something from the Capts with hindsight insights and perspectives on behalf of players, but understand if that wont happen

Hope this storied program can move along quickly to get ready for next fall. I know they are already in my top 10.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Perhaps Hain and McLaughlin both accepted NTDP invites?
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:36 pm

This makes me sick. :shock: :cry: :(
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:11 am

greenwayraider wrote:Don't understand how the AD is at fault for players getting caught drinking.
That's the way of the world these days.

Whatever the problem, it's always someone elses fault.

Lack of personal accountability is the norm.

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:37 am

WestMetro wrote:BobLee:

See attached discussion

https://mobile.twitter.com/grhshockey/s ... 7487338498
The way you worded it initially made it sound like GRHS Hockey was the one that made the comment.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:03 am

greenwayraider wrote:Don't understand how the AD is at fault for players getting caught drinking.

She is not at fault for the actions of the dumba$$, entitled and spoiled players who think they above the rules. It was the way it was handled when word got out.
This group of kids has always acted like they can do anything they want. A lot of the parents have enabled their kids to act this way. Hopefully this will be a good life lesson that your actions not only reflect who you really are, but also can have negative effects on people around you.
SORRY TRENT, WE FAILED YOU.

Dangler82

Klatt resigns

Post by Dangler82 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 am

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:03 am

Kids getting busted for drinking does not fall on the coaches. It falls on the parents. How about suspending the parents from watching their kid play long after the kids fulfill their suspension? OR require them to triple their volunteer hours if their kid is caught breaking the rule.

Probably a stupid idea but my point is this. Coaches cannot monitor their kids 24/7. Parents can't monitor their kids 24/7 (although they should try). Social media is here to stay and what use to go unnoticed no longer will.

If Klatt was run out or asked to leave based on kids drinking that is truly sad. My guess is there is more to this story but we will just have to wait and see.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:43 am

hadenuf wrote:

She is not at fault for the actions of the dumba$$, entitled and spoiled players who think they above the rules. It was the way it was handled when word got out.
This group of kids has always acted like they can do anything they want. A lot of the parents have enabled their kids to act this way. Hopefully this will be a good life lesson that your actions not only reflect who you really are, but also can have negative effects on people around you.
SORRY TRENT, WE FAILED YOU.
This is not good. It was fun to see somebody other than East go to state this year. It was looking like it might be a trend given their youngsters coming up and how well they did when they made the jump from Bantams.

Parents in all sports are complete idiots. Does not matter what sport or what town. The AD and the coaches are there to make sure that the rules are followed. Whether they are transfer rules, drinking rules, gpa rules, etc. If they knew that rules had been broken and nothing was done about it, no matter how much pressure was put on them, then they need to go. We come on here and complain about teams recruiting, we ask about how can a kid transfer and play at the highest level that same year, we all know about people who have "moved" from a town to a new town only to suddenly discover that their kid can play varsity sports and that the team in their new town needs that kid. The AD and the coaches are the ones who are supposed to police the rules and enforce them. It is not a new duty. It has been part of the job description (especially for the AD) for a long time.

In short, hadenuf, you did not fail Trent (and probably the AD). He/they failed themselves when they did not have the courage to stand up and make these kids and parents follow the rules. If I missed a bunch of suspensions then I am off base here. I assume that since people on here are making is sound like things happened and on the surface nothing was done about it that there is an element of truth to it. I do not know the facts and it is not my job to investigate to find them out.

Will the end result of this will be a mass migration of kids from GR to juniors next year as this gets sorted out? Probably.

Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:18 am

Wow! As an East fan this is pretty shocking. It was easy to tell that this year Rapids was making a move in the right direction as a varsity program compared to the last few years and I don't think that was directly due to the players, but a lot had to do with Klatt. I'd have to think that this sets the program back a few years. Even with top talent, they need solid coaching. It will be interesting to see how the story unfolds.

I can honestly say I feel for the GR faithful. Most DE fans probably take the solid coaching for granted since Randolph has been around so long and shows no signs of stopping.
East High Rah Rah Rah....

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:09 am

Let's see: AD, coach, bantam coach, parents, MSHSL , hotel staff?

How about the kids? They are representing the program and community. Once in a while can kids do dumb things, yes. Supposed to man up afterwards- I think so . I'm sure individually they have, but where is the Captains statement?

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:16 am

I hope we are not at the point in life were we now expect kids (captains or the guilty party) to get up and give any sort of statement. College yes, high school 16 year old kids..no....let that sleeping giant lie please

I think most of us won't know what really happened nor should be be entitled to know. It's a school matter settled by the school and it doesn't really have to go any farther than that.

If you want to see if any other kids were also busted. Maybe check out next falls GR's soccer team. My guess is they would be signing up for that to serve their suspension long before hockey begins

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:24 am

Myself don't see anything wrong with an 18 year old captain putting out a very general note that some things happened that shouldn't have , whole team apologizes to community, and will work hard to avoid in the future. I would certainly very much respect such a step.