Klatt Resigns

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:34 pm

hadenuf wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:I didn't mean to imply that Klatt was soft, but Greenway parents (hard to believe) are easier to deal with than the Rapids parents. What little I know of Klatt I wouldn't presume he was soft. He did a great job getting Rapids to state and third place, I would find it hard to second guess him.

Rapids parents this year were a rare breed. Some will not be missed.
Please stay on east side of the Prairie River.
Rapids parents are rare breeds every year at every level. That's why we all love playing up there. When the kids look at you and ask, "Hey, how can he do that?", you just tell them, "We're in Rapids son, we're in Rapids."

Hockeyisnotlife

Post by Hockeyisnotlife » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
hadenuf wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:I didn't mean to imply that Klatt was soft, but Greenway parents (hard to believe) are easier to deal with than the Rapids parents. What little I know of Klatt I wouldn't presume he was soft. He did a great job getting Rapids to state and third place, I would find it hard to second guess him.

Rapids parents are rare breeds every year at every level. That's why we all love playing up there. When the kids look at you and ask, "Hey, how can he do that?", you just tell them, "We're in Rapids son, we're in Rapids."
Right...kind of hypocritical to say "hey look at how many people we have in the stands and on the website" then talk smack about them.... it's the parents that hit up the website, fill the stands with their families and grandparents and friends, fund raise and volunteer for the hockey programs. A few bad apples should not spoil the bunch.

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:42 pm

Hockeyisnotlife wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
hadenuf wrote:

Right...kind of hypocritical to say "hey look at how many people we have in the stands and on the website" then talk smack about them.... it's the parents that hit up the website, fill the stands with their families and grandparents and friends, fund raise and volunteer for the hockey programs. A few bad apples should not spoil the bunch.
Just to be clear...we had 90,000 website visitors this season. Couldn't have been all parents. That said, I share your sentiment

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:09 pm

boblee wrote:
Hockeyisnotlife wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
hadenuf wrote:

Just to be clear...we had 90,000 website visitors this season. Couldn't have been all parents. That said, I share your sentiment
Sure it was, if they visited a bunch. That's what rabid parents do.

<g>

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:15 pm

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
boblee wrote:
Hockeyisnotlife wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
hadenuf wrote:

Sure it was, if they visited a bunch. That's what rabid parents do.

<g>
About 55,000 unique visitors. So, no.

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Reading back through this thread, I feel like I should make a point clear. I wasn't saying that Stampohar, Stefan & Stejskal were entitled or had mega-egos or anything. What I was saying is that there are three examples of really good hockey players that had to work really hard and didn't get loads of playing time compared to some expectations. That's Klatt's way. Everything has to be earned. And that's the best way to do it.

ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Yea a few bad apples shouldn't spoil it but you know what they do!
As far as we are in Rapids we are in Rapids I do believe that.
Yes everything should be earned but I know as well as every hockey player in the past anywhere knows, it is not always earned its who you know and your last name.
You should know pee wee a and bantam a goalie til you got to high school and rode the pine behind Jensen!
Last edited by ndirishfighting on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

Don't Poke The Bear

From Duluth New Tribune Today

Post by Don't Poke The Bear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:18 pm

DULUTH NEWS TRIBUNE today @ 1:57 pm

Prep boys hockey: Klatt changes mind, will return to coach Grand Rapids

A week after confirming his resignation as Grand Rapids boys hockey coach, Trent Klatt has changed his mind and will return to coach the Thunderhawks, the school district announced Friday.

"After speaking with students and hearing from the community, Trent Klatt met with ISD 318 administration and has reconsidered his resignation," the district said in a statement Friday. "ISD 318 Superintendent Bruce Thomas has agreed to pull the item from the (school) board agenda, and the district is happy to announce Klatt’s continued tenure as the GRHS hockey coach."

In announcing his resignation last week, Klatt had cited concerns about a lack of time to both guide the Thunderhawks and scout for the NHL's New York Islanders.

Klatt was picked last spring to succeed John Rothstein and led high-octane Grand Rapids to 23 wins and a third-place finish at the Class AA state tournament last month at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. He was named Section 7 coach of the year.

After starring at Osseo (Minn.) High School, Klatt played for the Gophers before enjoying a lengthy NHL career.

Check back for updates.

GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm

ndirishfighting wrote:Yea a few bad apples shouldn't spoil it but you know what they do!
Yes everything should be earned but I know as well as every hockey player in the past anywhere knows, it is not always earned its who you know and your last name.
You should know pee wee a and bantam a goalie til you got to high school!
Say it ain't so ... Not in Rapids! :D

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Wow, I never realized that Rapids had such unique problems as teen alcohol and drug abuse, over zealous and meddlesome parents, and parents and players trying to avoid accountability for their actions. But, I guess the GR locals can endeavor to reach the lofty pinnacles of virtue housing some of the contributors to this thread and their favorite teams.

From all I have gathered locally, Klatt acted honorably and stepped away rather than being left to solely deal with a pervasive problem. Nor did he throw anyone under the bus in stepping away.

It seems players, parents, and community let him know how much he was appreciated. Hopefully, some parents and players learned the lesson and will hold themselves and their cohort to a higher standard, so he is not alone with the issues. We probably will not get a public accounting of the full story, but my respect for Klatt is higher than ever, based on the accounts I have heard from those much closer to the situation than me.

As for the flamers and snipers, please be patient with those of us in Grand Rapids, as we try to deal with these dark and horrid problems. Perhaps someday we too will see our Thunderhawks skate the crystal clear ice of righteousness upon which your favorite team plays.

But, for now, I will take progress where I see it. Today, I see progress. Now let me get off the ledge and find my Orange Crush and Tang.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

boblee

Post by boblee » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:58 am

ndirishfighting wrote:Yea a few bad apples shouldn't spoil it but you know what they do!
Not really sure what you are saying here

ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:15 am

[quote="boblee"][quote="ndirishfighting"]Yea a few bad apples shouldn't spoil it but you know what they do!
You should know pee wee a and bantam a goalie til you got to high school![/quote]

Not really sure what you are saying here[/quote]

Sure you do ridding the pine when you got to h.s. when you were the man in pee wees n bantams.
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:36 am

ndirishfighting wrote:
boblee wrote:
Sure you do ridding the pine when you got to h.s. when you were the man in pee wees n bantams.
So you are saying you're entitled to be the starting goalie in HS, if you were the starting goalie in PW and Bantams?

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:25 am

mulefarm wrote:
ndirishfighting wrote:
boblee wrote:
So you are saying you're entitled to be the starting goalie in HS, if you were the starting goalie in PW and Bantams?
Wow! I'm out of this thread. Klatt is where he belongs. No more to discuss. It seems chest thumping and my dad is bigger than your dad have taken over here.

boblee

Post by boblee » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:15 am

ndirishfighting wrote:
boblee wrote:
Yes, that's what happened to me. And I've been very successful in life and am probably a better employee, coach and husband because of it. Anyhow-how does that relate at all to this conversation?

GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:29 am

Immigrant Fan wrote:Wow, I never realized that Rapids had such unique problems as teen alcohol and drug abuse, over zealous and meddlesome parents, and parents and players trying to avoid accountability for their actions. But, I guess the GR locals can endeavor to reach the lofty pinnacles of virtue housing some of the contributors to this thread and their favorite teams.

From all I have gathered locally, Klatt acted honorably and stepped away rather than being left to solely deal with a pervasive problem. Nor did he throw anyone under the bus in stepping away.

It seems players, parents, and community let him know how much he was appreciated. Hopefully, some parents and players learned the lesson and will hold themselves and their cohort to a higher standard, so he is not alone with the issues. We probably will not get a public accounting of the full story, but my respect for Klatt is higher than ever, based on the accounts I have heard from those much closer to the situation than me.

As for the flamers and snipers, please be patient with those of us in Grand Rapids, as we try to deal with these dark and horrid problems. Perhaps someday we too will see our Thunderhawks skate the crystal clear ice of righteousness upon which your favorite team plays.

But, for now, I will take progress where I see it. Today, I see progress. Now let me get off the ledge and find my Orange Crush and Tang.
Just listened to the KOZY-FM segment with Coach Klatt - CLASS ACT - Rapids has the right man at the helm to guide the program through this time and into the future. Every HS program should be so fortunate to have a man of his character in charge of their program.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 am

GoldenBear69 wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:Wow, I never realized that Rapids had such unique problems as teen alcohol and drug abuse, over zealous and meddlesome parents, and parents and players trying to avoid accountability for their actions. But, I guess the GR locals can endeavor to reach the lofty pinnacles of virtue housing some of the contributors to this thread and their favorite teams.

Just listened to the KOZY-FM segment with Coach Klatt - CLASS ACT - Rapids has the right man at the helm to guide the program through this time and into the future. Every HS program should be so fortunate to have a man of his character in charge of their program.
Spot on GB! He is an awesome coach and an even better person. I feel very fortunate and relieved that he reconsidered and is coming back.

Here is the link from this mornings KOZY interview.

http://www.kozyradio.com/coach-klatt-returns/
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:22 am

I too listened to Trent on the radio today. I also find it refreshing that he was more concerned about teaching these kids a lesson in life. Character and accountability are way more important than playing a game.
Thanks for caring more for the kids than the players. =D>

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 am

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 pm

It also opened up a space for rumor and innuendo to run rampant.

++

Karl, bingo! That's what I always feel when there is speculating going on. Since you didn't tell me the whole story, I'm going to have to fill in the holes.....

!

It's like the yadda-yadda Seinfeld episode. In reverse.

Glad he's back or still in as coach, however you say it.
Be kind. Rewind.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:43 am

So change the title to Klatt Re-signs.

boblee

Post by boblee » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:45 am

O-townClown wrote:

++

Karl, bingo! That's what I always feel when there is speculating going on. Since you didn't tell me the whole story, I'm going to have to fill in the holes.....

!

Maybe I am the goof here, but it strikes me funny that a lot of fans and even fringe fans feel like they are entitled to know the whole story. These are high school kids. We don't need the whole story. We probably don't even deserve it.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:35 am

Mite-dad wrote:So change the title to Klatt Re-signs.
I CAME HERE TO MAKE THE SAME JOKE. Dammit.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:59 am

boblee wrote:
O-townClown wrote:

++

!

Maybe I am the goof here, but it strikes me funny that a lot of fans and even fringe fans feel like they are entitled to know the whole story. These are high school kids. We don't need the whole story. We probably don't even deserve it.
Didn't you say you run a website dedicated specifically to Grand Rapids High School Hockey? So, to answer your question, yes you're being a goof.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:51 am

boblee wrote:
O-townClown wrote:

++

!

It's kind of like that huge pile up on the highway. We know we should stay out of the way and move on, but we just can't help but stare. Glad Klatt is returning and I hope the kids are staying around. Enjoyed watching them in the tourney.