The Latest 400 or so Topics
4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:26 pm

hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:Cambridge/Isanti's goalie left the program for the 2nd time. He is going to play club/AAA hockey in Omaha. It leaves their HS program and 26 skaters with out a goalie.
Sibell was a classic example of peaking early
Did that feel good?
Yep :twisted:

Not sure why you'd be a hater. The Minnesota high school hockey model has its cons for sure. I love MN HS hockey, but it is in an ivory tower. Do a little research and you'll see that this program (and others like it) will continue to prep elite players that thrive at the next level. They make their money proving you wrong. As always, Omaha is getting some horses.
Horses :roll:
Sorry about your eye roll. I suppose you would know how and when players peak.

hunting247

Post by hunting247 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 pm

4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:Cambridge/Isanti's goalie left the program for the 2nd time. He is going to play club/AAA hockey in Omaha. It leaves their HS program and 26 skaters with out a goalie.
Did that feel good?

Not sure why you'd be a hater. The Minnesota high school hockey model has its cons for sure. I love MN HS hockey, but it is in an ivory tower. Do a little research and you'll see that this program (and others like it) will continue to prep elite players that thrive at the next level. They make their money proving you wrong. As always, Omaha is getting some horses.
Not saying these three are bad players just by no means "horses" maybe if I viewed the world though your rose colored glasses I would see it.... but I do not.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:00 pm

hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
Did that feel good?

Not saying these three are bad players just by no means "horses" maybe if I viewed the world though your rose colored glasses I would see it.... but I do not.

Good thing you straightened that out. I now see these as very average players. Thanks

hunting247

Post by hunting247 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:38 pm

4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
Did that feel good?

Good thing you straightened that out. I now see these as very average players. Thanks
Glad we are on the same page now.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 pm

hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
4on5again wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
thespellchecker wrote:
hunting247 wrote:
Did that feel good?

Glad we are on the same page now.
We aren't on the same planet. I agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

karl(east)

Re: Early departures: 2016-17

Post by karl(east) » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:14 am

Code: Select all

Class Pos       Player              HS Team               New Team             College
Sr     F        Ryan Poehling       Lakeville North       St. Cloud State      St. Cloud State   
So     F        Trevor Janicke      Maple Grove           NTDP                 Notre Dame
Jr     F        Jaxon Nelson        Luverne               USHL-Sioux Falls     Minnesota
Sr     F        Marko Reifenberger  Hill-Murray           Bloomington-USHL
Jr     F        Dylan Mills         Hill-Murray           TBD
Sr     F        Isaac Johnson       Anoka                 Des Moines-USHL
Sr     F        Cameron Buhl        South St. Paul        Minnesota-NAHL
So     F        Payton Madison      River Lakes           Omaha-AAA
Jr     F        Jackson Wille       Forest Lake           Omaha-AAA
Jr     F        Jordan Randall      Maple Grove           Omaha-AAA
Sr     D        Hank Sorensen       Wayzata               Waterloo-USHL
Jr     D        K'Andre Miller      Minnetonka            NTDP                 Wisconsin
Jr     D        Clayton Phillips    Edina                 Fargo-USHL           Minnesota
Sr     D        Connor Mayer        Benilde               Sioux City-USHL      UConn
So     D        Nikolai Jenson      River Lakes           Omaha-AAA
So     G        Ryan Ullan          Hibbing               NTDP
Jr     G        Keegan Karki        St. Cloud Cathedral   NTDP                 North Dakota
Jr     G        Jacob Sibell        Cambridge-Isanti      Omaha-AAA
Sr     G        Parker Swanson      Hopkins               Chicago Fury-AAA
Last edited by karl(east) on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:33 am

David Wilkie is a great coach
If true they would be a team of Omaha/Council Bluffs/Lincoln players.

tututangous

Bischel

Post by tututangous » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:46 am

I've been told that Bischel will be back at Benilde this season.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:05 am

karl(east) wrote:

Class Pos       Player              HS Team               New Team             College
Sr     F        Ryan Poehling       Lakeville North       St. Cloud State      St. Cloud State
From this morning's StarTribune:
"Ryan Poehling of Lakeville had a hat trick as the U.S. team won 4-2 over the host Czech Republic in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup. The Americans will play Russia in the semifinals Friday in Bratislava, Slovakia."

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:53 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

"Ryan Poehling of Lakeville had a hat trick as the U.S. team won 4-2 over the host Czech Republic in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup. The Americans will play Russia in the semifinals Friday in Bratislava, Slovakia."
Funny thing is, he wouldn't have been on my Early Departure list. One of my criteria for making the list is that the player is still eligible to play MSHSL hockey. Ryan graduated.

karl(east)

Re: Bischel

Post by karl(east) » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:18 pm

tututangous wrote:I've been told that Bischel will be back at Benilde this season.
Thanks, removed him from the most recent list.
The Exiled One wrote:Funny thing is, he wouldn't have been on my Early Departure list. One of my criteria for making the list is that the player is still eligible to play MSHSL hockey. Ryan graduated.
I thought about this one too, but I think he's worth including because he played as a junior this past season. Despite obviously doing some planning ahead for the possibility of graduation and getting all his credits in line, he could have played another year if he'd wanted to. With other accelerations (Bjugstad, Ness), it was planned out long in advance, and they were eligible (and won) Mr. Hockey. Not so with Poehling. He was still officially a junior when the season ended.

Hypothetical: let's say Motzko held back the Poehlings another year, but Ryan still accelerated and went to play with his brothers in the USHL for a year. Would any of us have even noticed that he'd graduated from high school?

The purpose of this list, as I view it, is being able to account for the departure of anyone who was not a senior last year from MSHSL hockey. Obviously getting the degree is an important thing in life, but for the purposes of this list, it doesn't strike me as an important distinction.

stromboli

Post by stromboli » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:55 pm

observer wrote:
None of the top tier one programs has only local players. If anything, the fact that good players are willing to move to Nebraska indicates he is a great coach. He's turned it into a top-5 program.

The kids who play for him are going to learn a ton. He's also well respected and connected enough to be able to help them with opportunities to play at higher levels they might not otherwise have. My opinion is he's an extremely good coach.

Unless you know him personally, you don't have much to comment on.

4on5again

Post by 4on5again » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:52 pm

stromboli wrote:
observer wrote:
None of the top tier one programs has only local players. If anything, the fact that good players are willing to move to Nebraska indicates he is a great coach. He's turned it into a top-5 program.

The kids who play for him are going to learn a ton. He's also well respected and connected enough to be able to help them with opportunities to play at higher levels they might not otherwise have. My opinion is he's an extremely good coach.

Unless you know him personally, you don't have much to comment on.
100%

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:24 am

The Exiled One wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Funny thing is, he wouldn't have been on my Early Departure list. One of my criteria for making the list is that the player is still eligible to play MSHSL hockey. Ryan graduated.
I believe Ryan would still have MSHSL eligibility even though he "graduated", due to years in high school, as credits and years differ. We don't kick kids out of high school after they achieve the minimum number of credits required to graduate. PSO makes this a more common thing than most would think.

I also will note kids that have appeared on the list in the past have had no eligibility left due to MSHSL rules violations. I can think of a couple who left for AAA to whom this would have applied.

OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:27 am

goldy313 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote: Funny thing is, he wouldn't have been on my Early Departure list. One of my criteria for making the list is that the player is still eligible to play MSHSL hockey. Ryan graduated.
I believe Ryan would still have MSHSL eligibility even though he "graduated", due to years in high school, as credits and years differ. We don't kick kids out of high school after they achieve the minimum number of credits required to graduate. PSO makes this a more common thing than most would think.
Mittelstadt would be a current example. He has enough credits to graduate but has chosen to come back for his senior season.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Following the semifinal between Russia and the U.S. Tied 3-3 in O.T., with Poehling netting two assists, one on a nice cross-ice feed on the power play. 8)

P.S. USA just scored the overtime winner to advance to the final.

minnscout

Re: Bischel

Post by minnscout » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:24 pm

tututangous wrote:I've been told that Bischel will be back at Benilde this season.
Bischel is gone!

tututangous

EP

Post by tututangous » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:06 am

Heard any rumors that Nicky Lievermann won't be back to EP this year?

observer

Post by observer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 am

USHL Protected lists

https://portal.usaho...er/juniors/ushl

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:30 pm

So     F        Trevor Janicke      Maple Grove           NTDP                 Notre Dame
Jr     F        Jaxon Nelson        Luverne               USHL-Sioux Falls     Minnesota
Jr     F        Dylan Mills         Hill-Murray           MN Wilderness-NAHL
Sr     F        Bryceton Butkiewicz Moose Lake            MN Wilderness-NAHL
Sr     D        Scott Perunovich    Hibbing               Cedar Rapids-USHL    UMD
Jr     D        K'Andre Miller      Minnetonka            NTDP                 Wisconsin
Jr     D        Clayton Phillips    Edina                 Fargo-USHL           Minnesota
Sr     D        Connor Mayer        Benilde               Sioux City-USHL      UConn
Jr     G        Keegan Karki        St. Cloud Cathedral   NTDP                 North Dakota
Sr     G        Ryan Bischel        Benilde               USHL-Fargo
Ben Meyers and Ben Copeland are protected by the USHL but not on the list or confirmed as returning...anyone have any dirt on these kids?

Heard from someone who was uncertain on Phillips, too, do we have confirmation on him? (He's also protected, FWIW.)

Otherwise, unless a before-and-after kid has a change of heart or someone leaves for AAA/some low-level opportunity, this is probably our list.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:47 pm

karl(east) wrote:

Sr     D        Scott Perunovich    Hibbing               Cedar Rapids-USHL    UMD
Ben Meyers and Ben Copeland are protected by the USHL but not on the list or confirmed as returning...anyone have any dirt on these kids?

Heard from someone who was uncertain on Phillips, too, do we have confirmation on him? (He's also protected, FWIW.)

Otherwise, unless a before-and-after kid has a change of heart or someone leaves for AAA/some low-level opportunity, this is probably our list.
Also FWIW, Chase Brand of Park Rapids is on the Brookings (NAHL) protected list.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Sr     F        Ben Copeland        Edina                 Waterloo-USHL
Sr     F        Chase Brand         Park Rapids           Bismarck-NAHL
Confirmed on Brand and Copeland. Meyers appears to be doing a before-and-after. Was also notified of a Rochester player headed to Shattuck, though he was a bantam last year, so he technically doesn't qualify for the list.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:41 pm

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... Sheet1.pdf

Here is the rosters for the USHL teams, might give us an idea who has left. Some I guess could do before and after, but for some like Bischel I would imagine he is gone since he is a goalie.
I really got no idea what it means regarding coming back or not, but here is the list so somebody smarter than me can perhaps explain.

gopherfan7

Post by gopherfan7 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Nick Wieben (Mankato West) has left and is playing for Omaha U16 AAA according to his twitter

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:16 pm

green4 wrote:http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... Sheet1.pdf

Here is the rosters for the USHL teams, might give us an idea who has left. Some I guess could do before and after, but for some like Bischel I would imagine he is gone since he is a goalie.
I really got no idea what it means regarding coming back or not, but here is the list so somebody smarter than me can perhaps explain.
Hank Sorensen not on Waterloo roster? Any info on that?