Class A hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:58 am

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:To help me understand this, can you tell me which players on last year's varsity team open enrolled at Hermantown, where they are from and when they changed to Htown school district.

Thanks.
The discussion by the HAHA board and what many of us have seen first-hand is at the Youth Level, not the High School. The kids are already there by the time they get to High School. The Squirt A team last year had quite a few and a few more at the PeeWee level. Heck, their best player on the PeeWee AA team two years ago didn't live in Hermantown or go to school there. He lived on Pike Lake (Proctor Assoc. Boundary) and went to Marshall. Not sure how they snuck that one through. I don't know who the kids are that the HAHA board is referring to as being recruited by coaches last year and this year at the PeeWee level. You would have to ask them that.

But to answer your question, the players that I know of who open-enrolled to Hermantown from last year's High School team were Wyatt Aamodt - started in Hermantown very young, Dylan Samberg - PeeWees I believe and Logan Judnick - also PeeWees. Parker Hawk was another one on the team the year before that. He went in PeeWee or Bantam. All four of them lived in the Proctor School district.
In addition to the open enrollees, Gotz moved in as a sophomore and Watkins moved in as a pee wee.

Most people have no problem with players open enrolling or a family moving somewhere because they think it is a better opportunity for their kid. The problem myself and many others have is that when faced with criticism over choosing to kick butt in A instead of playing teams at their same skill level in AA, Hermantown defenders claim they are "where we belong" in A because they only have an enrollment of 600 to feed their "small town hockey" program. They refuse to acknowledge that getting the best talent from nearby Proctor effectively makes their enrollment 1200 when it comes to hockey, and that being in a metro area of 150,000 people makes it orders of magnitude easier for a family to move in compared to most A schools.

Going to the A title game every year for a decade should be enough for any school to feel that they are good enough for AA, but when you factor in the open enrollment, move ins, AA youth teams, and AA-heavy HS regular season schedule, it truly becomes ridiculous to claim that single A is "where we belong".

It sucks to have to admit that you'd rather collect single A trophies and banners against weaker competition than take the risk of losing to a team as good as you are in the 7AA playoffs, but that's really the only logical explanation for what is going on in Hermantown.
Gotz and Watkins live in Hermantown, there not open enrolled. Do you need Hermantown DNA 3 generations back yo escape your microscope? :roll:
Peky, it's posts like that that just give you no credibility. Read the first sentence of my post again, it clearly states that the two players are move-ins, not open enrollees.

I can't tell if you are purposely missing the entire point of my argument to redirect attention away from the inescapable fact that Hermantown is clearly a AA program now, or if your anger clouds your ability to comprehend what I'm trying to say.

All I am saying is that the narrative that you and others have put forward that Hermantown is some small town hockey program is just plain false.

There was a time when this was true, but it no longer is the case. Open enrollment, recruiting, and being a suburb of Duluth all play a major part in Hermantown achieving the level of greatness they have. And yes, it is due to the fact that Hermantown is a great program. No one denies that they are a great program, so stop responding as though we are saying that. It's fine that there are open enrollees, move-ins, and recruiting, but it belongs in AA, not A.

If you get most of the best hockey talent from Proctor, no matter how it happens, then you have effectively added Proctor's enrollment to Hermantown's.

Put it this way, if open enrollment were not allowed and Proctor-Hermantown were a co-op like they are for girls hockey, last year's co-op team would have looked almost identical to how last year's Hermantown team looked, except that you would have had an AA enrollment.

To look at it another way, let's say open enrollment were not allowed and Hermantown were located in a rural area, thus making move-ins highly unlikely. Under this scenario, Hermantown would only have players that actually live in Hermantown and thus they would truly be drawing from the enrollment of 600. This means no Aamodt, Samberg, Hawk, Gotz, Judnick, or Watkins. Even with your great program, without these external sources of talent Hermantown is just a very good A team, similar to last year's teams from Hibbing, TRF, Greenway, Apollo, etc.

It's great that Hermantown schools and hockey are so good that they draw in lots of talent, it really is. But it's not great to hide behind irrelevant enrollment numbers to justify beating down A teams that really do draw from their MSHSL-listed enrollments. That's what STA did, and you were as vocal as anyone in calling them out about it.

All I ask is that when someone asks you why Hermantown stays in A, you respond honestly and say "Because it's more fun to collect banners and trophies in A than it is to risk playing teams as good as we are in the AA playoffs."
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:44 am

rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:To help me understand this, can you tell me which players on last year's varsity team open enrolled at Hermantown, where they are from and when they changed to Htown school district.

Thanks.
The discussion by the HAHA board and what many of us have seen first-hand is at the Youth Level, not the High School. The kids are already there by the time they get to High School. The Squirt A team last year had quite a few and a few more at the PeeWee level. Heck, their best player on the PeeWee AA team two years ago didn't live in Hermantown or go to school there. He lived on Pike Lake (Proctor Assoc. Boundary) and went to Marshall. Not sure how they snuck that one through. I don't know who the kids are that the HAHA board is referring to as being recruited by coaches last year and this year at the PeeWee level. You would have to ask them that.

But to answer your question, the players that I know of who open-enrolled to Hermantown from last year's High School team were Wyatt Aamodt - started in Hermantown very young, Dylan Samberg - PeeWees I believe and Logan Judnick - also PeeWees. Parker Hawk was another one on the team the year before that. He went in PeeWee or Bantam. All four of them lived in the Proctor School district.
In addition to the open enrollees, Gotz moved in as a sophomore and Watkins moved in as a pee wee.

Most people have no problem with players open enrolling or a family moving somewhere because they think it is a better opportunity for their kid. The problem myself and many others have is that when faced with criticism over choosing to kick butt in A instead of playing teams at their same skill level in AA, Hermantown defenders claim they are "where we belong" in A because they only have an enrollment of 600 to feed their "small town hockey" program. They refuse to acknowledge that getting the best talent from nearby Proctor effectively makes their enrollment 1200 when it comes to hockey, and that being in a metro area of 150,000 people makes it orders of magnitude easier for a family to move in compared to most A schools.

Going to the A title game every year for a decade should be enough for any school to feel that they are good enough for AA, but when you factor in the open enrollment, move ins, AA youth teams, and AA-heavy HS regular season schedule, it truly becomes ridiculous to claim that single A is "where we belong".

It sucks to have to admit that you'd rather collect single A trophies and banners against weaker competition than take the risk of losing to a team as good as you are in the 7AA playoffs, but that's really the only logical explanation for what is going on in Hermantown.
Gotz and Watkins live in Hermantown, there not open enrolled. Do you need Hermantown DNA 3 generations back yo escape your microscope? :roll:
Peky, it's posts like that that just give you no credibility. Read the first sentence of my post again, it clearly states that the two players are move-ins, not open enrollees.

I can't tell if you are purposely missing the entire point of my argument to redirect attention away from the inescapable fact that Hermantown is clearly a AA program now, or if your anger clouds your ability to comprehend what I'm trying to say.

All I am saying is that the narrative that you and others have put forward that Hermantown is some small town hockey program is just plain false.

There was a time when this was true, but it no longer is the case. Open enrollment, recruiting, and being a suburb of Duluth all play a major part in Hermantown achieving the level of greatness they have. And yes, it is due to the fact that Hermantown is a great program. No one denies that they are a great program, so stop responding as though we are saying that. It's fine that there are open enrollees, move-ins, and recruiting, but it belongs in AA, not A.

If you get most of the best hockey talent from Proctor, no matter how it happens, then you have effectively added Proctor's enrollment to Hermantown's.

Put it this way, if open enrollment were not allowed and Proctor-Hermantown were a co-op like they are for girls hockey, last year's co-op team would have looked almost identical to how last year's Hermantown team looked, except that you would have had an AA enrollment.

To look at it another way, let's say open enrollment were not allowed and Hermantown were located in a rural area, thus making move-ins highly unlikely. Under this scenario, Hermantown would only have players that actually live in Hermantown and thus they would truly be drawing from the enrollment of 600. This means no Aamodt, Samberg, Hawk, Gotz, Judnick, or Watkins. Even with your great program, without these external sources of talent Hermantown is just a very good A team, similar to last year's teams from Hibbing, TRF, Greenway, Apollo, etc.

It's great that Hermantown schools and hockey are so good that they draw in lots of talent, it really is. But it's not great to hide behind irrelevant enrollment numbers to justify beating down A teams that really do draw from their MSHSL-listed enrollments. That's what STA did, and you were as vocal as anyone in calling them out about it.

All I ask is that when someone asks you why Hermantown stays in A, you respond honestly and say "Because it's more fun to collect banners and trophies in A than it is to risk playing teams as good as we are in the AA playoffs."

Not that this has any sway, but I'm curious as to how the Hermantown players feel about all of this. I remember back at STA we were all aware of the discussion, what people thought of us, etc. The kids don't make the decisions, obviously.

Once Plante leaves, they'll go AA. Nothing left to hide behind. I'm sure we will find someone else to bash on for not moving up.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:51 pm

SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Not that this has any sway, but I'm curious as to how the Hermantown players feel about all of this. I remember back at STA we were all aware of the discussion, what people thought of us, etc. The kids don't make the decisions, obviously.

Once Plante leaves, they'll go AA. Nothing left to hide behind. I'm sure we will find someone else to bash on for not moving up.
I'm sure the Metro Privates will always get heat but nobody is ever going to bash a legitimate Class A team for not moving up. East Grand Forks had a great run there but every kid on that roster was from East Grand Forks. So everyone in the State was cheering for them. Now they are in a down cycle which is inevitable for every Class A team that can't just recruit players from a Surrounding Metro Area.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

I'm sure the Metro Privates will always get heat but nobody is ever going to bash a legitimate Class A team for not moving up. East Grand Forks had a great run there but every kid on that roster was from East Grand Forks. So everyone in the State was cheering for them. Now they are in a down cycle which is inevitable for every Class A team that can't just recruit players from a Surrounding Metro Area.[/quote]

Like Grand Forks?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Goose21 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

I'm sure the Metro Privates will always get heat but nobody is ever going to bash a legitimate Class A team for not moving up. East Grand Forks had a great run there but every kid on that roster was from East Grand Forks. So everyone in the State was cheering for them. Now they are in a down cycle which is inevitable for every Class A team that can't just recruit players from a Surrounding Metro Area.[/quote]

Like Grand Forks?
Like I said, every kid on the EGF Championship teams was from EGF. They play with their own kids. And Grand Forks is not a Metro area, especially in comparison to the Twin Cities and Twin Ports. It's quite a bit smaller than St. Cloud even.

air force one

Post by air force one » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:05 am

Goose21 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Like Grand Forks?
You seem to have some information, would you like to share?

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:20 pm

air force one wrote:
Goose21 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Like Grand Forks?
Last edited by Goose21 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:37 pm

air force one wrote:
Goose21 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Like Grand Forks?
Sure. Grand Forks has a population of about 52,838 compared with St. Cloud at 65,842.

The Grand Forks Youth Hockey Association has about 20 boys teams at the Squirt through Bantam level, with St. Cloud about 15.

Grand Forks has more teams at each level and plays at a higher level, including a Bantam AA team and 2 Bantam A teams, 2 Peewee A teams, and 2 Squirt A teams. (St Cloud has 1 BA, 1 PWAA, and 1 SQA)

I would say that Grand Forks has notable hockey population and reputable hockey culture, even when compared with the larger community that was mentioned.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:40 pm

St Cloud doesn't have a Bantam AA team?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:40 am

What does GF youth hockey have to do with EGF youth hockey?

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:47 am

You also have to remember that St. Cloud Youth Hockey feeds (at least through last year) three high school teams. I don't think the same is true for EGF.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:06 am

Goose21 wrote:
air force one wrote:
Goose21 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Like Grand Forks?
Sure. Grand Forks has a population of about 52,838 compared with St. Cloud at 65,842.

The Grand Forks Youth Hockey Association has about 20 boys teams at the Squirt through Bantam level, with St. Cloud about 15.

Grand Forks has more teams at each level and plays at a higher level, including a Bantam AA team and 2 Bantam A teams, 2 Peewee A teams, and 2 Squirt A teams. (St Cloud has 1 BA, 1 PWAA, and 1 SQA)

I would say that Grand Forks has notable hockey population and reputable hockey culture, even when compared with the larger community that was mentioned.
Grand Forks is TINY compared to the Twin Cities and the Twin Ports, that was the point. Twin Cities Privates and Hermantown recruit from Metro areas. EGF doesn't recruit players from Grand Forks or anywhere else, so it's a moot point.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:26 am

Thanks.
As far as last year’s team only 2 players were open enrolled, Samberg and Judnick. Both actually live closer to Hermantown School and the suburb they live in is called “the sticks”. That’s 2 open enroll out of 20 on the roster… They have played for Hermantown since peewee maybe sooner and nobody had to “recruit them”.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:38 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Goose21 wrote:
air force one wrote:
Goose21 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Like Grand Forks?

Grand Forks is TINY compared to the Twin Cities and the Twin Ports, that was the point. Twin Cities Privates and Hermantown recruit from Metro areas. EGF doesn't recruit players from Grand Forks or anywhere else, so it's a moot point.
Metro Area:
Twin Cities – 3,524,583
Duluth – 276,601 (includes Superior Wi)
St. Cloud – 194,418
Duluth is the only one that is losing population.

Seriously, I’m not sure how you can even mention the Twin Cities and the Duluth in the same breath. It just shows how ridiculous you are. Have you ever been down to the “Cities”? When you talk about the Duluth metro area you need to subtract the Wisconsin population. That makes it about equal to St. Cloud. Hermantown doesn’t have any players that open enrolled from Wi, but sta did with Novak.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:02 am

pekyman wrote:

Thanks.
As far as last year’s team only 2 players were open enrolled, Samberg and Judnick. Both actually live closer to Hermantown School and the suburb they live in is called “the sticks”. That’s 2 open enroll out of 20 on the roster… They have played for Hermantown since peewee maybe sooner and nobody had to “recruit them”.
You forgot Wyatt Aamodt. Has never lived in Hermantown School District.

Of course no one HAD to recruit them. Hitler didn't have to invade the Soviet Union either, but that didn't stop him.

Last year's High School team is small potatoes anyway compared to all of the recruits coming through the Youth program. That's what the Hermantown Hockey Board has acknowledged. Someone else brought up the High School team.

BleedGreen5

Post by BleedGreen5 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:49 am

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Goose21 wrote:
air force one wrote:
Goose21 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Thanks.

Like Grand Forks?

Metro Area:
Twin Cities – 3,524,583
Duluth – 276,601 (includes Superior Wi)
St. Cloud – 194,418
Duluth is the only one that is losing population.

Seriously, I’m not sure how you can even mention the Twin Cities and the Duluth in the same breath. It just shows how ridiculous you are. Have you ever been down to the “Cities”? When you talk about the Duluth metro area you need to subtract the Wisconsin population. That makes it about equal to St. Cloud. Hermantown doesn’t have any players that open enrolled from Wi, but sta did with Novak.
Just so everyone from outside EGF/GF understands. I have lived in EGF for 50 years, we do not recruit GF players to EGF, this is a Huge rivalry and by the time the players reach squirts they understand that they are the sworn enemy, it used to be we would get some players at the mite level taking advantage of our low program costs and extra ice time compared to GF but even that was cutoff. GF Red River and GF Central are every bit comparable to Warroad, Thief River Falls, Bemidji, Roseau, and Moorhead as Huge Rivals. We would rather develop our own players to compete with the larger programs and give them the opportunity as opposed to the kids across the river. Once a greaser always a greaser, and not very many old school GF folks like to cross the river.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:01 pm

BleedGreen5 wrote:Just so everyone from outside EGF/GF understands. I have lived in EGF for 50 years, we do not recruit GF players to EGF, this is a Huge rivalry and by the time the players reach squirts they understand that they are the sworn enemy, it used to be we would get some players at the mite level taking advantage of our low program costs and extra ice time compared to GF but even that was cutoff. GF Red River and GF Central are every bit comparable to Warroad, Thief River Falls, Bemidji, Roseau, and Moorhead as Huge Rivals. We would rather develop our own players to compete with the larger programs and give them the opportunity as opposed to the kids across the river. Once a greaser always a greaser, and not very many old school GF folks like to cross the river.
Thanks for the first-hand insight Green. EGF is a great program and does it the right way. They are a model for what Class A hockey should be all about. The entire X was cheering for them when they beat Hermantown in the Two Championship Games and I met some great people from there.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:25 pm

While I will abstain from the other "fun" conversation for now, I will interject a little note on metropolitan area populations. MSAs are composed of the counties that censuses deem to be within a metropolitan area. Normally this is a useful way to measure the population of an area, but when one county is the size of Connecticut, it's not. St. Louis County is that big. A person living in a cabin on Lake Kabetogema is considered a resident of the Duluth metro, even though they're over 2 hours away from Duluth.

A more accurate figure for the Duluth MSA is around 200,000. (And I don't know why you'd exclude Superior from that; it's certainly part of the metro area, and there has been cross-pollination between Superior and Duluth schools over the years.) Also, the population losses for the MSA are due to the shrinking towns on the Iron Range. Duluth and Superior have had stable populations since 1990, and the outlying areas around them have grown at a modest rate.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Thanks.

Of course no one HAD to recruit them. Hitler didn't have to invade the Soviet Union either, but that didn't stop him.

Last year's High School team is small potatoes anyway compared to all of the recruits coming through the Youth program. That's what the Hermantown Hockey Board has acknowledged. Someone else brought up the High School team.
I'm sorry elliott, 3 open enrolled players. I forgot Hermantown boy Wyatt Aamodt who lives on Pike Lake. We recruited him before he was born because we knew he would be a NHL caliber player. He has attended Hermantown since kintergarden and has been a Hawk all his life. Pike Lake is closer to Hermantown, but back in the day Proctor stole Pike Lake from Hermantown because of its affluence, or so I'm told. Pike Lake students have to drive/fly through/over Hermantown to go to school in Proctor..

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:39 pm

karl(east) wrote:While I will abstain from the other "fun" conversation for now, I will interject a little note on metropolitan area populations. MSAs are composed of the counties that censuses deem to be within a metropolitan area. Normally this is a useful way to measure the population of an area, but when one county is the size of Connecticut, it's not. St. Louis County is that big. A person living in a cabin on Lake Kabetogema is considered a resident of the Duluth metro, even though they're over 2 hours away from Duluth.

A more accurate figure for the Duluth MSA is around 200,000. (And I don't know why you'd exclude Superior from that; it's certainly part of the metro area, and there has been cross-pollination between Superior and Duluth schools over the years.) Also, the population losses for the MSA are due to the shrinking towns on the Iron Range. Duluth and Superior have had stable populations since 1990, and the outlying areas around them have grown at a modest rate.
Thanks Karl. So Duluth is even smaller that we thought. There has never been an open enrolled kid from Superior that played hockey at Hermantown. That's why. Maybe East has had some.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:00 pm

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Thanks.

I forgot Wyatt Aamodt who lives on Pike Lake. He has attended Hermantown since kintergarden and has been a Hawk all his life. Pike Lake is closer to Hermantown
Hermantown Elementary is closer to Pike Lake than Pike Lake Elementary? I bet you don't get asked for directions very often. :lol:

The next accurate information you post on here will be the first.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Thanks.

First of all, there not "recruits"; secondly, the vast majority of the open enrolled are not hockey players; and lastly, you can thank your own school district for closing Central High School and making Hermantown a better option than traveling all the way to Denfeld. Too bad Hermantown is full and can't handle any more. Honestly Jeffy, I think your the your the biggest recruiter Hermantown has.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Thanks.

I forgot Wyatt Aamodt who lives on Pike Lake. He has attended Hermantown since kintergarden and has been a Hawk all his life. Pike Lake is closer to Hermantown
Hermantown Elementary is closer to Pike Lake than Pike Lake Elementary? I bet you don't get asked for directions very often. :lol:

The Middle and High school you tool. I actually have no idea where he went to grade school and could care less.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:21 pm

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Thanks.

The Middle and High school you tool. I actually have no idea where he went to grade school and could care less.
Sorry if I misunderstood. You said he started at Hermantown in "kintergarden" I assumed you meant Kindergarten. That's Elementary School, not Middle or High School. Pike Lake Elementary is within walking distance from his house.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:51 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Thanks.

Sorry if I misunderstood. You said he started at Hermantown in "kintergarden" I assumed you meant Kindergarten. That's Elementary School, not Middle or High School. Pike Lake Elementary is within walking distance from his house.
Oh boy! Karl will be locking out this thread pretty quick. My "spider sense" is tingling......