Class A hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote: The Middle and High school you tool. I actually have no idea where he went to grade school and could care less.
Sorry if I misunderstood. You said he started at Hermantown in "kintergarden" I assumed you meant Kindergarten. That's Elementary School, not Middle or High School. Pike Lake Elementary is within walking distance from his house.
Oh boy! Karl will be locking out this thread pretty quick. My "spider sense" is tingling......
It's worked for Peky many times in the past. If you don't like the facts then just start calling people names and get it locked. My sister used to do that all the time when we were little kids. It can be an effective strategy.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: Sorry if I misunderstood. You said he started at Hermantown in "kintergarden" I assumed you meant Kindergarten. That's Elementary School, not Middle or High School. Pike Lake Elementary is within walking distance from his house.
Oh boy! Karl will be locking out this thread pretty quick. My "spider sense" is tingling......
It's worked for Peky many times in the past. If you don't like the facts then just start calling people names and get it locked. My sister used to do that all the time when we were little kids. It can be an effective strategy.
Agreed, he does substitute anger for facts, which may work well to get threads locked, but does nothing in the way of convincing anyone that Hermantown is small town hockey.

As usual, peky chooses to sidestep the issue, which is that when you get the majority of the hockey talent from a nearby school district, no matter how it happens, then you have effectively added that school's enrollment to your own. This puts Hermantown much closer to the AA cutoff, nowhere near "small town hockey". Hermantown is a suburb in a metro area of 150-200,000 people, again, nowhere near "small town hockey".

Hermantown is an AA program now; their youth teams have known this for years now. The HS team has had plenty of success in A, so to not move up to AA is shameless trophy-chasing on par with what STA did.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

So I am still trying to figure this out...

How many kids have they brought in (recruited) at bantam A (AA level) in the past 5 to 8 years?

What makes you say they are recruiting?

Kids that open enroll or move in when they are mites hardly constitutes recruiting. Squirts... I think not.
Peewees okay.
Bantams definitely.

So what are the numbers?

The younger kids that started there because 'Dad' thought it was a good place to play hockey and were developed, at least to some degree, by HYHA do not make them recruiters.

I think they should be AA but I also think EFG TRF Alex should be AA and give that portion of the state a AA section.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

elliott70 wrote:So I am still trying to figure this out...

How many kids have they brought in (recruited) at bantam A (AA level) in the past 5 to 8 years?

Kids that open enroll or move in when they are mites hardly constitutes recruiting. Squirts... I think not.
Peewees okay.
Bantams definitely.

So what are the numbers?

The younger kids that started there because 'Dad' thought it was a good place to play hockey and were developed, at least to some degree, by HYHA do not make them recruiters.

I think they should be AA but I also think EFG TRF Alex should be AA and give that portion of the state a AA section.
Elliott, your making too much sense. Unless you were born in Hermantown, Rainier and Jeffy call it recruited. It's bs.
In the last 8 years i know of 2 kids that came in as Bantams and they actually moved into Hermantown and their families bought houses.
As far as open enrolled as Bantams, I can think of 1.
PeeWees, maybe 4.
And that's in 8 years.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

pekyman wrote:

Peewees okay.
Bantams definitely.

So what are the numbers?

Elliott, your making too much sense. Unless you were born in Hermantown, Rainier and Jeffy call it recruited. It's bs.
In the last 8 years i know of 2 kids that came in as Bantams and they actually moved into Hermantown and their families bought houses.
PeeWees, maybe 4.
And that's in 8 years.
Think the point is that you see no problem with them staying in Class A at High School, but all youth levels are playing AA.

They can easily compete with the best of the best at AA each year! That is a compliment to your town and youth development. But when each year you are pounding teams in sections in running time, its time to move up.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Kids that open enroll or move in when they are mites hardly constitutes Peewees okay.
Bantams definitely.
recruiting. Squirts... I think not.

So what are the numbers?

I wasn't the one who said it. It was disclosed by the HAHA board at the August meeting that their Youth Coaches were recruiting kids from other Associations to play in Hermantown.

Here is a link to the Meeting Minutes. Line #15.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... inutes.pdf

I know several kids who were recruited but I never had any proof other than what their parents told me so I never said anything until the Hermantown Board acknowledged it publicly.

If they go AA next year then nobody will care. But if they stay in A then they deserve everything they get.
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

InYourFace09 wrote: Think the point is that you see no problem with them staying in Class A at High School, but all youth levels are playing AA.

They can easily compete with the best of the best at AA each year! That is a compliment to your town and youth development. But when each year you are pounding teams in sections in running time, its time to move up.
Youth hockey AA and A is Mn Hockey's fault. The rule was if HS is A your youth program is A. Obviously difficult all the problems with it but rather figure it out and then pass it MH jumps in and then backtracks.

If MH would of stuck with their original proposal Htown would be A at the youth level or change the HS to AA.
But the word on the street is Htown will go AA next year if everything warrants the opportunity to compete. I am not sure of the quality of this years bantams and peewees.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

"It was disclosed by the HAHA board at the August meeting that their Youth Coaches were recruiting kids from other Associations to play in Hermantown.

Here is a link to the Meeting Minutes. Line #15. "

Yes I read their minutes, but the coaches may appear to be recruiting but who are the kids that were brought in.
And you cannot just recruit. Waivers have to be signed off on and knowing the District Director that is not going to happen willy-nilly.
The other option is open enroll and I know most of their classes are full and not able to take on new open enrollees.

So the question is not recruiting.

The question is how long will a school their size maintain the quality they have had the last few years. If they can maintain they should be AA.
It is difficult to compete with the Edina's, EP's, Minnetonka's, Wayzata's (big suburbs) and the quality privates. So the high school VIP's need to decide - make a run almost every year or make a run every 5 to 10 years.

I have been in Bemidji for 30 + years and have seen the Jacks make a run at just making it to state 6 or 7 times. That suits me but others prefer something else and as long as they are playing by the rules then so be it.

But in the mean time perhaps Htown will be AA next year (remember who said it first).
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

InYourFace09 wrote:
pekyman wrote:

Peewees okay.
Bantams definitely.

So what are the numbers?

PeeWees, maybe 4.
And that's in 8 years.
Think the point is that you see no problem with them staying in Class A at High School, but all youth levels are playing AA.

I was answering Elliott's question with facts amid all of the accusations out here.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:"It was disclosed by the HAHA board at the August meeting that their Youth Coaches were recruiting kids from other Associations to play in Hermantown.

Yes I read their minutes, but the coaches may appear to be recruiting but who are the kids that were brought in.
And you cannot just recruit. Waivers have to be signed off on and knowing the District Director that is not going to happen willy-nilly.
The other option is open enroll and I know most of their classes are full and not able to take on new open enrollees.

The question is how long will a school their size maintain the quality they have had the last few years. If they can maintain they should be AA.
It is difficult to compete with the Edina's, EP's, Minnetonka's, Wayzata's (big suburbs) and the quality privates. So the high school VIP's need to decide - make a run almost every year or make a run every 5 to 10 years.

I have been in Bemidji for 30 + years and have seen the Jacks make a run at just making it to state 6 or 7 times. That suits me but others prefer something else and as long as they are playing by the rules then so be it.

But in the mean time perhaps Htown will be AA next year (remember who said it first).
Yes, I'm aware of the process. They have to open-enroll. Then the sending Association is forced to sign off on the waiver. They have no choice. "Some" of their grades are closed and mostly at the older grades, not "Most" grades like you said. This was confirmed by the Superintendent in a DNT article that has been posted on this forum. Every hockey player from Duluth and Proctor that has applied for open-enrollment at Hermantown has been accepted. I just jotted down 17 names of Hockey Players that have open-enrolled from Duluth and Proctor starting with the 2013 season. I'm sure there are more that I don't know of. More power to them. But this is not Class A hockey. That's all anyone is saying. Moving to AA would put it to rest and would be fantastic for all of Northern High School Hockey.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:"It was disclosed by the HAHA board at the August meeting that their Youth Coaches were recruiting kids from other Associations to play in Hermantown.

Yes, I'm aware of the process. They have to open-enroll. Then the sending Association is forced to sign off on the waiver. They have no choice. "Some" of their grades are closed and mostly at the older grades, not "Most" grades like you said. This was confirmed by the Superintendent in a DNT article that has been posted on this forum. Every hockey player from Duluth and Proctor that has applied for open-enrollment at Hermantown has been accepted. I just jotted down 17 names of Hockey Players that have open-enrolled from Duluth and Proctor starting with the 2013 season. I'm sure there are more that I don't know of. More power to them. But this is not Class A hockey. That's all anyone is saying. Moving to AA would put it to rest and would be fantastic for all of Northern High School Hockey.
Maybe you should call and ask which grades are currently open for the peewee level grades. Your reference is too old and not specific.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Maybe you should call and ask which grades are currently open for the peewee level grades. Your reference is too old and not specific.
You can't open-enroll during the school year so their numbers right now would be irrelevant. That is determined after the school year is over. If what you are saying is correct and they move to AA next year, then I don't care. I will be cheering for them if they come out of 7AA, unless they're playing Roseau or Bemidji at State.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

"unless they're playing Roseau or Bemidji at State. "

That would be a long-shot.
Almost a guarantee it will be Moorhead in 2018.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

karl(east) wrote:Blog barf on the whole topic: https://apatientcycle.com/2016/10/12/a-hawkish-outlook/
Great work Karl. I especially like the last paragraph. I think that sums up what everyone has been saying for a long time. Really good article.
kniven

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote:Blog barf on the whole topic: https://apatientcycle.com/2016/10/12/a-hawkish-outlook/
Spot on Karl! As usual, the articles you write are great reads for anybody who has passion for Minnesota High School hockey!!!
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Great article Karl! GB
Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey »

Spot on Karl. As a parent in the association I believe our time has come, even at the (most) likely expense of my boys watching the tourney on tv. Hawks fan regardless or State or not!!
Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey »

Spot on Karl. As a parent in the association I believe our time has come, even at the (most) likely expense of my boys watching the tourney on tv. Hawks fan regardless or State or not!!
Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey »

I will also add...I have fully supported Plante's decision to keep us in A to this point. He and the many coaches behind him has put us in this position we are in.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

Also, now Hermantown becomes the target in A. It will bring for more excitement at the Exel for other teams and fans to hope to beat them. Most likely won't happen, but.....
What is a Green Wave anyway?
rainier

Post by rainier »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Great work Karl. I especially like the last paragraph. I think that sums up what everyone has been saying for a long time. Really good article.
Agreed, the last paragraph nails it. Great article, Karl, thanks for posting it.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

ttt
backrinkrat

Post by backrinkrat »

Yes the hawks have been the power in single A hockey and done plenty of damage in AA. Still sticking with my prediction. Go DEVILS!
rainier

Post by rainier »

backrinkrat wrote:Yes the hawks have been the power in single A hockey and done plenty of damage in AA. Still sticking with my prediction. Go DEVILS!
If Hermantown does indeed opt up this year, then I agree with your prediction, although Greenway will also be very good.