AA Rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

AA Rankings

Post by WestMetro »

Well, since YHH has announced his rankings today, here are mine. Along with the key personnel for each team. Feedback is appreciated.

1 EP CM,Sullivan,Johannes,Leiverman, Blackowiak,Jensen,Olson,G:Wienzek

2 GR Hain, McGlaughlin, Miller, Stampohar, Heitkamp, G: Holum

NEXT TIER

3 HF Anderson,Mesler , Redden, Almquist, Hankinson, Tabor, G: Moe

4 SW Cates, Sagissor, Manning,Bjugstad G: Eisele

5 Elk Michaelis, Murray,Perbix ,Perbix,Horn,Maas,Zerban? G:Meyers

6 WYZ Schmidt, Stevens, Ness, Anderson, G: Waszczenko

NEXT TIER

7 STA Christy, Christry, Matsui, Reim, Stucker , G: Kelly

8 Mtka Molenaar, ,Van Sant ,Doctor,Bayless,Loheit,Hanus G: Muller?

9 ED Walker ,Scherer, ,Brinkman,Johnson , Boltmann, G:Solomon?

10 LVS Ess,Olson,Golant,Malinski,Novak,Oelrich,Checco,Zemlak,G: DiLaura

Here are YHH Tony Scotts ranking announced today , for comparison

1 EP
2 SW
3 GR
4 Elk
5 HF
6 WYZ
7 STA
8 ED
9 CENT
10 MTKA
11 PL
12 LVS

Here are Hockey Hub Loren Nelsons, from last spring, but to be fair he assumed no early departures or transfers. I am sure Loren will provide his updated list soon.

1 Edina
2 Stillwater
3 Wayzata
4 EP
5 Elk
6 HM
7 STA
8 LVN
9 GR
10Mtka
Last edited by WestMetro on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

West Metro. I think you have all the teams in pretty accurate beginning of season spot. A couple of thoughts--

EP and Holy Family are really close in my opinion. I think during a late season winner moves on loser goes home the difference will be Moe.

I like Stillwater at 2---only see one or two losses this year before sections and as has been noted, they should get through sections pretty easily; with a great record will be one or two seed in state.

Rapids has the whole section 7 problem---rankings early in year I put them at five or six, since deer hunting will provide a slow start for them.

Wayzata----WMETRO you have to mention the unsung heroes who will make or break it for them this year. Lindstrand, Carlson and Keubenski--three very solid defencemen who got shunned by fall leagues. Chips on shoulders are good for kids, especially kids who know how to perform on the big stage. As was the case last year, waiting for O'Leary's captains picks before I put in my two cents on how things may or may not go. Last year OLeary finally figured out that juniors should never be captains--or "A"s. Pat, please don't do it!!! 17-18 year old seniors who have played for 10 years and see a junior or sophomore get named captain because they will be playing college hockey someday, isn't the right thing to do (Giles, all Wayzata fans thank you!). Like Leisen from JV team last year to contribute as a junior. Also, young defencemen from bantams will fit in nicely with senior dominated defense--won't mention name as he hasn't done anything yet.

Like Maple Grove as dark horse--

Rankings

EP,SW,HF,GR,ER,Edina,Tonka,DE,LS,SThomas (Wayzata top five with senior captains, out of top ten with junior captains)

GB
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

My take,

1 EP, 3 lines deep, very strong D core
2 GR, stars win games
3 Still, a lot returning, cohesive roster
4 ER, high level talent and a tender
5 Tonka, reloading with high end talent
6 HF, Anderson & Moe, but I'm not sold on the rest
7 WAY, should be higher right?
8 LVS, like Nick Saban-you gotta bring in talent
9 Edi, lost a lot, but always reloads quickly
10 Hermantown, joking, if they were AA, they'd be #2 or #3

As you can see, I think Elk River has the talent to bump GR in 7. I'm not sold on HF at all. The depth and the coaching hurt them.

I can see Wayzata getting back to the X and playing Sat night. Wouldn't a repeat be exciting?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yes, GB there were many many unsung Trojan heroes last year who well deserved last years championship, and who are returning this year to make a run at it again.

You listed some and there are others also.

In fact, every time I went to a Trojan game last year during the regular lake conference season and thru the playoffs, I made the comment of how deep they were , how many different kids were scoring, kids staying on the puck and/or in the play, and kids just kept coming at you, or knocking you back. Also size and physical play. In other words, pretty much how they controlled CM and the Eagles , to win the title game.

Im sure all the kids are bigger and stronger this year.

And looks like upcoming goaltending will be as good as ever

Should be able to make things interesting for the Hornets this year, and they are my early pick for Section 6 champs to be back at the X

Im looking forward to seeing the Trojans at the Turkey Trot, and then probably shortly afterwards against HT I recall.

Awaiting your usual year end Dec 31 comprehensive writeup to O Leary about how to better calibrate the various Dmen, and the 3 best lines. Which I thought may have played an integral part of their road to the championship last year!

West Metro

GB wrote
-----------
WMETRO you have to mention the unsung heroes who will make or break it for them this year. Lindstrand, Carlson and Keubenski--three very solid defencemen who got shunned by fall leagues. Chips on shoulders are good for kids, especially kids who know how to perform on the big stage. As was the case last year, waiting for O'Leary's captains picks before I put in my two cents on how things may or may not go. Last year OLeary finally figured out that juniors should never be captains--or "A"s. Pat, please don't do it!!! 17-18 year old seniors who have played for 10 years and see a junior or sophomore get named captain because they will be playing college hockey someday, isn't the right thing to do (Giles, all Wayzata fans thank you!). Like Leisen from JV team last year to contribute as a junior. Also, young defencemen from bantams will fit in nicely with senior dominated defense--won't mention name as he hasn't done anything yet.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

GB

Upon further review, I see you have 3 7 AA teams in the top 10, and then if Hermantown was AA where they belong that would make 4 7AA in the top 10.

So much for theory that non metro teams cant compete!

Also, this is why I lobbied Elliott and MSHSL last year to move Elk River to Section 8 where they belong. Because 7AA is getting overstacked, especially with HT to be moving up shortly and Marshall already. Cloquet will also be looming again in the polls before you know it

(Although Im not so sure I agree with you having Hounds in top 10 at this point)
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Here is a link to my AA and A.

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... _id=967184

West - we are pretty close. I'm pretty sure you just watched my show and did no thinking of your own and posted mine :) - Seriously, like your list. Mine includes CENT, that group is really good and will beat some good teams this year. Thanks for watching and thanks for posting mine.

GB - we were in the same neighborhood until Duluth East. You have a better long term memory, where mine is still stuck on short term 2016 with the Hounds. I backed them all year and somehow believed their curse on GR would last forever. I think those boys from GR have more resolve than DE and ER - so slight edge to GR in 7AA.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

WestMetro wrote:GB

Upon further review, I see you have 3 7 AA teams in the top 10, and then if Hermantown was AA where they belong that would make 4 7AA in the top 10.

So much for theory that non metro teams cant compete!

Also, this is why I lobbied Elliott and MSHSL last year to move Elk River to Section 8 where they belong. Because 7AA is getting overstacked, especially with HT to be moving up shortly and Marshall already. Cloquet will also be looming again in the polls before you know it

(Although Im not so sure I agree with you having Hounds in top 10 at this point)
Elk River belongs in Section 5AA, not 8AA.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Agree on ER in Section 5. Also, the Spuds will be an interesting team that I think will crack the top ten as well. GB
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

YouthHub, as for Hounds being in top ten, let's just say I'd take a Saban coached team over a Claeys coached team, with talent level being somewhat close. GB
BP

Post by BP »

My top 10 from watching summer, Elite League, etc:

1) EP- team, and specifically #11 is on a mission. if he truly is a Top 10 draft pick, they win the title. Great supporting cast and need to show the grit that Wayzata showed in state title game. They exposed their game a bit, but will be tough to beat with their depth. Their goaltending is solid and underrated.

2) Stillwater - this group knows how to win, and have done it at all levels. Eisele is very good and was unfortunate to play behind one of the state's best last year in Benson. It'll be a cake walk through sections, no one will challenge them. They got a taste last year of the tournament and will be ready for run for a title this year.

3) Grand Rapids - I said it last year after the state tournament, but Micah Miller is my guy on this team. Huge compete level, gritty, and a good skater. All the tools to be great at the college level. Very good supporting cast and has one of the state's best coaches, glad he is back behind the bench. I too didn't think they'd get past the curse that is Coach Randolph and East, but good to see the orange back in St. Paul.

4) Wayzata - Offensive wins games, defense wins championships. They have showed the blueprint on how to compete and beat EP. They might not have all the flashy forwards as some of the top teams on this list, but will wear you down. Goaltending doesn't take a drop off from Schilling at all.

5) Elk River - They are getting the early buzz, and for good reason. This is a team that could have 5 D1 players when it's all said and done. I really think this could be the team in St. Paul representing 7AA. Going to be fun to see them play this year and will score a boat load of goals.

6) Holy Family - I'm struggling a bit to see what the buzz is over this squad. Are they solid? Yes. But I don't think they have the huge guns as many think. Anderson is as good as D, but some of the other players were exposed a bit in the Elite League and weren't all that impressive. That said, they should be the 2 seed in 2AA if they stay healthy.

7) STA - Been hearing the hype for a couple of years, wait till these guys become juniors and seniors. Well, some are now juniors, so it'll be fun to see what they can do. Tons of skills, but we'll see what that equates to in a team. Embarrassed last year in section final, 7-1 to Burnsville, so we'll see if that motivated them to a big off season. B'ville always plays tough in sections, but STA should win this section. If they don't, could be some serious head scratching for the Cadet faithful.

8) Minnetonka - Will be young, but back to back AA Bantam titles don't happen very often. Could challenge Holy Family for the 2 seed in 2AA. Could be getting their feet wet and may be a year away, but will be dangerous by years end.

9) Centennial - I too think this is a team that could have a nice season. Complete team that plays the game the right way. This should be the team at the X in March from 5AA, but as we know, wacky things and upsets always happen in that section.

10) Edina - Staying healthy will be key for the Hornets. Won't be as deep as years past and lost a lot. But always a tough beat then when you look down the rink and see the green, yellow, and white warming up.

Others that will be 11-20, in no particular order:

Lakeville South - two D 1 dmen lead this crew, odds on favorite for 1AA title

Lakeville North - I'm a big Enebak guy, plays the game the right way. Have a few others as well, but not very deep.

Prior Lake - a tough off season for the Lakers, lot of off-ice issues. This could be a ticking time bomb.

Burnsville - always a tough beat in sections. Not deep, but they find a way to win.

Hill-Murray - will be way down this year due to graduation and other reasons. Going to be a tough year for the Pioneers, but still the two seed in 4AA.

Maple Grove - this is the beginning of the all the talented youth teams coming through the program. Probably a year away, but will be a team that can compete in sections.

Blaine - another team that lost a lot of players, but some good young Bantams coming in.

Cloquet - See Blaine and Maple Grove.

East - well, they are East.

Moorhead - See Minnetonka, Maple Grove, Blaine, and Cloquet.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

A few followup thoughts:

Seems to be "close to consensus" on most of top 5 and most top ten.

I have Centennial at 11th myself. Prior Lake 12th.

Bemidji should be lurking in top 15 somewhere? And almost flip of coin with Spuds this year?

Will be interesting to see Karl's list.

Seems like most people agree the Elks should not be in 7AA. Now all thats needed is keep pushing Minn Hock and MSHSL to have Herm move up and find the right home for Elks.

Underreported story. Skips already slim 2AA championship chances diminished this year with transfer of Elite Dom Picciano to SPA.
blueblood

Section 8AA

Post by blueblood »

If Elk River belongs in 5AA, where do Rogers, STMA, and Buffalo belong?
elliott70

Re: Section 8AA

Post by elliott70 »

blueblood wrote:If Elk River belongs in 5AA, where do Rogers, STMA, and Buffalo belong?
Anywhere but 8AA.
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

So many great points made on the these predictions!

Maple Grove is probably a year away from starting a really nice run. As is Tonka. Those 2 programs are on solid ground thanks to a deep feeder system.

I think Elk River is the dark horse for the title. This is a team that regularly beat CM and the Eagles thru PW and Bantams. If they can get past GR and DE and make it down to St Paul--look out.

BP or West Metro or someone helped clarify my point about Holy Family. They just don't have the "high end" studs up front anymore (IMO) after observing the Elite League play. Other than Anderson, very over-rated. One or two injuries, and they'll be #3 behind Tonka in that section.
kniven

Re: Section 8AA

Post by kniven »

elliott70 wrote:
blueblood wrote:If Elk River belongs in 5AA, where do Rogers, STMA, and Buffalo belong?
Anywhere but 8AA.
Now we are rolling! Keep it coming. All great info/opinions on the upcoming season :)
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Tweet

Last time I checked, Reddan was in top 10 Elite scoring, against fierce competition

With Peruni gone, Anderson is odds on favorite best Dman in state, both from D position point of view and highest offensive production. Some may disagree of course.

Moe is either best goalie in state, or tied for best with Begley.

Pretty good start right there....

Great supporting cast, I listed a few but there are others. Marooney comes to mind.

Anyway, you will note I have them grouped in the 2nd Tier after #1 and #2 EP and GR. Again, thats my opinion. Thats because I see a high degree of fluidity between the four Tier 2 teams. Particularly before the Conference Seasons start in January.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

GoldenBear wrote:West Metro. I think you have all the teams in pretty accurate beginning of season spot. A couple of thoughts--

EP and Holy Family are really close in my opinion. I think during a late season winner moves on loser goes home the difference will be Moe.

I like Stillwater at 2---only see one or two losses this year before sections and as has been noted, they should get through sections pretty easily; with a great record will be one or two seed in state.

Rapids has the whole section 7 problem---rankings early in year I put them at five or six, since deer hunting will provide a slow start for them.

Wayzata----WMETRO you have to mention the unsung heroes who will make or break it for them this year. Lindstrand, Carlson and Keubenski--three very solid defencemen who got shunned by fall leagues. Chips on shoulders are good for kids, especially kids who know how to perform on the big stage. As was the case last year, waiting for O'Leary's captains picks before I put in my two cents on how things may or may not go. Last year OLeary finally figured out that juniors should never be captains--or "A"s. Pat, please don't do it!!! 17-18 year old seniors who have played for 10 years and see a junior or sophomore get named captain because they will be playing college hockey someday, isn't the right thing to do (Giles, all Wayzata fans thank you!). Like Leisen from JV team last year to contribute as a junior. Also, young defencemen from bantams will fit in nicely with senior dominated defense--won't mention name as he hasn't done anything yet.

Like Maple Grove as dark horse--

Rankings

EP,SW,HF,GR,ER,Edina,Tonka,DE,LS,SThomas (Wayzata top five with senior captains, out of top ten with junior captains)

GB
Who they name captain takes them from a top 5 team to out of the top 10? :roll: Can I have some of whatever you had?
The U invented swagger.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

WestMetro wrote:Tweet

Last time I checked, Reddan was in top 10 Elite scoring, against fierce competition

With Peruni gone, Anderson is odds on favorite best Dman in state, both from D position point of view and highest offensive production. Some may disagree of course.

Great supporting cast, I listed a few but there are others. Marooney comes to mind.

Anyway, you will note I have them grouped in the 2nd Tier after #1 and #2 EP and GR. Again, thats my opinion. Thats because I see a high degree of fluidity between the four Tier 2 teams. Particularly before the Conference Seasons start in January.
Leivermann looked pretty good against the U17 National team last weekend. Is he in the running for top Dman?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

GG, without a doubt and that's sipping some good old fashion water. If you don't think who is named captain significantly impacts performance on and off the ice and success of a team, I'd hate to have you be a coach or GM for my squad. Just look at the results from the past two years for Wayzata. Not my opinion fact. These are high school kids and if the captains are not leaders of men and instead are @@@ holes, cocky, substitute other words, the team will underperform. Mark Senden, Billy Duma and Batra were prime examples of what good captains will do for a team. I'd say just my opinion, but it's fact. GB
redtundra

HF

Post by redtundra »

Agreed. Lots of talent at HF this year. Moe in discussion as best goalie. Redden is as good as it gets 200 feet. Forward scoring should be spread out with Almquist, Byers, Messler, Michael boys, Hankinson. And D rock solid (Matt Anderson should be Mr. Hockey finalist, Tabor playing in USHL this fall along with Anderson, Marooney very gifted offensive D, and Ziemer as tough and sound as anyone).
WestMetro wrote:Tweet

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Of course good goal tending, four solid lines, cute cheerleaders and a hot Cretin goaltender helps too. GB
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Obviously Notre Dame likes Nicky L.

He has really come along nicely 2nd half last year, playoffs and X, spring and this fall. Compared to sophomore and first half jr year, he is way more consistent, much more confidence, protects D position with fewer mistakes, and offensive production probably second to only Matt A.

There are lots of good Dmen this year, with D1 commits in all four classes already and more to come, but dont think anyone could argue with these two being in the top statewide tier of Ds
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

blueblood wrote:

Anywhere but 8AA.

Elliot wants to turn 8AA into a 4 team section: his beloved 'jacks, the Spuds, the Rams, and the Warriors.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

It's not that I don't think. I think he wants it to be as much of a northern MN section as possible. As it should be.

I'm guessing he'd like to see it be the Spuds, Jacks, Warriors, Rams, Warriors, Green Wave, Prowlers, Cardinals etc if he had his way.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

blueblood wrote:blueblood wrote:

Anywhere but 8AA.

Elliot wants to turn 8AA into a 4 team section: his beloved 'jacks, the Spuds, the Rams, and the Warriors.
Bemidji, Moorhead, Brainerd, Roseau

and Alex and East Grand Forks and Thief River Falls and a St Cloud team.

And ElliotT has two T's.