D10 squirts

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mavs

D10 squirts

Post by Mavs » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:30 pm

I am told District 10 teams are going with B1, B2, C designations like we do for Pee Wee, Bantam, etc

How do they do B1 and B2 when Minnesota Hockey only does A, B and C?

How does this work for tournaments?
Seems like their B1 teams will be loaded and do great in tournaments as nobody else has B1 teams but rather even B teams and B2 teams are in for a long year for the opposite reason?

Why would they do something "outside" of MN Hockey?

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:59 pm

D10 has done this for as long as I can remember.... Other districts do this also...look at D3 and OMGHA

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:47 am

MWS coach wrote:D10 has done this for as long as I can remember.... Other districts do this also...look at D3 and OMGHA
Okay, I am told several districts do it. I had heard Minnesota hockey was looking into future changes like this but I didn't realize it was already in place in a lot of districts.

Its all good, carry on. If its been going on for a long time, I guess I just hadn't noticed.

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:32 pm

D10 been doing the B1/B2 levels for at least 25 years.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:22 am

greybeard58 wrote:D10 been doing the B1/B2 levels for at least 25 years.
Thanks guys. I had no clue. Obviously it has worked well or they wouldn't keep doing it and obviously Minnesota Hockey doesn't have an issue with it.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

D10 is a bit of a rogue with their squirts.

They also schedule their district tourney on the same weekend as the Fargo tourney.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 pm

D2 voted on going B1/B2 for squirts but rejected it for this season. Maybe next year. D2 is doing a squirt tournament for the first time this season, but it is also scheduled for the same weekend as the Fargo tournament. :/

mrchips

Post by mrchips » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 am

Anyone have any insight into the attitude that D10 apparently has towards the PeeWee C level? There are over 50 peewee teams in D10, but I think only 4 C teams this year. In other districts, there are more C teams than any other level. Kind of defeats the purpose of separating B1 and B2.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:56 pm

With over 50 teams I think the District should suggest that the larger associations all field one or two C teams. Makes no sense that there are only 4 teams of 50 playing C.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:34 pm

observer wrote:With over 50 teams I think the District should suggest that the larger associations all field one or two C teams. Makes no sense that there are only 4 teams of 50 playing C.
Larger associations weren't the problem. Andover, Centennial and Elk River all had Peewee C teams, Becker-Big Lake was only "small" association that had a PWC team. If you look at the D10 PWB2 standings it's pretty obvious that Anoka, Blaine, Coon Rapids and Rogers should have had a C team and probably Spring Lake Park and Rum River as well. Actually, it kind of looks like Rogers had an "upper" and "lower" B2 team. If that's the case, that's pretty sad.

From what I understand D10 did suggest more associations field C teams, but ultimately it's up to the associations. My guess is these associations are giving in to parent pressure over the stigma attached to the letter (B2 means my kid is better than C). It appears there may be even fewer PWC teams in D10 this year (who wants to play in a 4 team league?) and the District is effectively letting it's members kill PWC hockey in D10. Good news for other Districts, as the B1/B2 teams from D10 will be weaker.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:42 am

Getting a chance to play at the Fargo Tournament is something every Squirt aged kid should get to do. It is a great experience. Horrible there are Districts that schedule over that weekend. The Associations should protest.

mrchips

Post by mrchips » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:49 pm

blueline_6 wrote:
observer wrote:With over 50 teams I think the District should suggest that the larger associations all field one or two C teams. Makes no sense that there are only 4 teams of 50 playing C.
Larger associations weren't the problem. Andover, Centennial and Elk River all had Peewee C teams, Becker-Big Lake was only "small" association that had a PWC team. If you look at the D10 PWB2 standings it's pretty obvious that Anoka, Blaine, Coon Rapids and Rogers should have had a C team and probably Spring Lake Park and Rum River as well. Actually, it kind of looks like Rogers had an "upper" and "lower" B2 team. If that's the case, that's pretty sad.

From what I understand D10 did suggest more associations field C teams, but ultimately it's up to the associations. My guess is these associations are giving in to parent pressure over the stigma attached to the letter (B2 means my kid is better than C). It appears there may be even fewer PWC teams in D10 this year (who wants to play in a 4 team league?) and the District is effectively letting it's members kill PWC hockey in D10. Good news for other Districts, as the B1/B2 teams from D10 will be weaker.
Why did the district only schedule 12 games per team for PWC teams last year? I realize playing the same team 6-7 times isn't optimal, but it's better than only playing 12 district games.

Elk River apparently is planning to have 5 PW teams, but is strongly considering having no C team (and only one A/AA team, leaving two at B1 and two at B2).

puckulence

Post by puckulence » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:58 am

So what happened was Rogers declared Peewee C and the coach of the team and all the parents went to the board and stated they did not want to play C. So they were allowed to opt up to play B2. In turn they did not have a good season. This was all done after tryouts were completed and teams were declared.

Not fun for the kids at all. Should have stayed at the C level and had more success and fun in my opinion.[/quote]

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:03 am

puckulence wrote:So what happened was Rogers declared Peewee C and the coach of the team and all the parents went to the board and stated they did not want to play C. So they were allowed to opt up to play B2. In turn they did not have a good season. This was all done after tryouts were completed and teams were declared.

Not fun for the kids at all. Should have stayed at the C level and had more success and fun in my opinion.
Yeah, I didn't even realize that was a thing until recently, but it seems to be happening in our association too. We declared too many B1 teams at the bantam level. I asked around as to why this was the case and everybody told me it's because many of the board members' kids were bubble B1/B2 players and they wanted to make sure they'd get a chance to play B1. That can't be fun if they're chasing pucks and losing rather than carrying pucks and winning.

Funny thing is, the opposite happens once you grow up and start playing beer league. Then everybody wants to sandbag!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:56 am

ttt

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:34 am

Apparently we've seen the death of Peewee C hockey in D10 this year. Not a single association has a C team at the Peewee level. Will be tough for some of the D10 PWB2 teams to play outside the district.