Bauer Invite Chicago

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

edgeless2

Bauer Invite Chicago

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:56 pm

I understand quite a few Bantam teams going down. No Fast Hockey or whatever it's called now streaming. Is there any streaming that anyone is aware of? Good Luck MN boys!

Crusty

Post by Crusty » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:44 am

Blaine Bengals
Mpls Storm
Rosemount Irish
White bear Lake
Minnetonka
Edina

I like our chances, a lot of good competition

observer

Post by observer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:54 am

NotMinnesotan

Post by NotMinnesotan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:27 pm

You should like your chances, only bantam teams playing with 01's.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Crusty wrote:Blaine Bengals
Mpls Storm
Rosemount Irish
White bear Lake
Minnetonka
Edina

I like our chances, a lot of good competition
Are the MN teams the only teams from a single community? The other teams are AAA teams with players from anywhere, correct?

NotMinnesotan

Post by NotMinnesotan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Most AAA teams are made up of local kids until midget age. Bantams most kids aren't moving away from home so they play for their closest teams. Obviously there are examples of the kids playing for teams away from their home but it just isn't as prevelant as at midget level.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:15 am

NotMinnesotan wrote:Most AAA teams are made up of local kids until midget age. Bantams most kids aren't moving away from home so they play for their closest teams. Obviously there are examples of the kids playing for teams away from their home but it just isn't as prevelant as at midget level.
So there aren't any Geographical restrictions though? Can a team like Honeybaked take players from the entire Detroit Metro area?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:55 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
NotMinnesotan wrote:Most AAA teams are made up of local kids until midget age. Bantams most kids aren't moving away from home so they play for their closest teams. Obviously there are examples of the kids playing for teams away from their home but it just isn't as prevelant as at midget level.
So there aren't any Geographical restrictions though? Can a team like Honeybaked take players from the entire Detroit Metro area?
Honeybaked can have kids from Kazahkstan if they want.

As an example, most of the Dunne girls (from Missouri) have played hockey for the Chicago Fury.

observer

Post by observer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:02 am

Can a team like Honeybaked take players from the entire Detroit Metro area?
What? They have, have had, players from all over the world.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:27 am

Unfortunately no streaming from what I have gathered. Unfortunate for those of us that couldn't go. Seems like a big enough event they would have video coverage at the least.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:30 am

observer wrote:
Can a team like Honeybaked take players from the entire Detroit Metro area?
What? They have, have had, players from all over the world.
Wow, that's pretty impressive then that MN teams from one single community can compete so well against all these other teams.

Crusty

Post by Crusty » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:55 am

Here's a link to the schedule, this is the Elite level not the AAA

https://bauerinvite2016.gameonmobile.co ... 3/schedule

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:31 am

NotMinnesotan wrote:You should like your chances, only bantam teams playing with 01's.
Yes, but also playing with 03's. First half of birth year for 3's and second half for 01's.

Not as much as an age difference when 02's move up to U16 next season when 1st half of 01's will also be on rosters.

At this stage of the game, 1/2 a year in either direction is not as big of a deal as you may think. You can either play the game or not. Sure some kid may be a little more physically developed, but than can happen with an 03 as well. Just as an older player such as an 01 may not have developed as much physically.

There is also a true T1 Minnesota team playing at 03 level, Gentry Galaxy, last I looked they are 3-0 and lost exhibition game to Mission by a goal on Thursday night! :D

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:55 am

MWS coach wrote:
NotMinnesotan wrote:You should like your chances, only bantam teams playing with 01's.
Yes, but also playing with 03's. First half of birth year for 3's and second half for 01's.

Not as much as an age difference when 02's move up to U16 next season when 1st half of 01's will also be on rosters.

At this stage of the game, 1/2 a year in either direction is not as big of a deal as you may think. You can either play the game or not. Sure some kid may be a little more physically developed, but than can happen with an 03 as well. Just as an older player such as an 01 may not have developed as much physically.

There is also a true T1 Minnesota team playing at 03 level, Gentry Galaxy, last I looked they are 3-0 and lost exhibition game to Mission by a goal on Thursday night! :D
Totally disagree. I'd bet each MN 02 team had at least 50% 01's. And it makes a HUGE difference.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:11 am

barry_mcconnell wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

Totally disagree. I'd bet each MN 02 team had at least 50% 01's. And it makes a HUGE difference.
I agree that up to six months at Bantam Age is really not a big deal. Maybe in Squirts or PeeWees but not in Bantams. Either way, this is more than offset by the MN teams being confined to players in a single community. These other teams can grab the best players from anywhere in the world. If MN did that it wouldn't even be worth their while going to the tournament.

hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:41 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
barry_mcconnell wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

I agree that up to six months at Bantam Age is really not a big deal. Maybe in Squirts or PeeWees but not in Bantams. Either way, this is more than offset by the MN teams being confined to players in a single community. These other teams can grab the best players from anywhere in the world. If MN did that it wouldn't even be worth their while going to the tournament.
I have always been curious about this. Let's say MH allows true Tier 1 programs that can recruit kids from anywhere. What do you think happens?

It seems to me that there are plenty of people that would look to cash in and there would be a minimum of 10 teams in the metro area all competing for kids, thus preventing super teams from forming, at least initially. Maybe after 4-5 years it becomes clear who the choice programs are and the talent begins to consolidate but I still there there would still be enough choices and some kids would still play for their local association, for financial or other reasons, that you would not get dominant teams like you might expect.

I base this on the spring/summer teams who can compete with anyone nationally but by no means dominate. I am from WI so this is pure speculation but am I wrong? Curious to know what you think.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:09 am

hipcheck62 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
barry_mcconnell wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

I have always been curious about this. Let's say MH allows true Tier 1 programs that can recruit kids from anywhere. What do you think happens?

It seems to me that there are plenty of people that would look to cash in and there would be a minimum of 10 teams in the metro area all competing for kids, thus preventing super teams from forming, at least initially. Maybe after 4-5 years it becomes clear who the choice programs are and the talent begins to consolidate but I still there there would still be enough choices and some kids would still play for their local association, for financial or other reasons, that you would not get dominant teams like you might expect.

I base this on the spring/summer teams who can compete with anyone nationally but by no means dominate. I am from WI so this is pure speculation but am I wrong? Curious to know what you think.
There wouldn't be anywhere near 10 teams. I would be surprised if you could even get one full team. There has never been much demand for Tier 1 here because there is just no need for it. You can get the same competition right in the Metro. Who would spend that kind of time and money on travel when you don't have to? Other states don't have that option which is why Tier 1 serves a need and exists there.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
hipcheck62 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
barry_mcconnell wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

There wouldn't be anywhere near 10 teams. I would be surprised if you could even get one full team. There has never been much demand for Tier 1 here because there is just no need for it. You can get the same competition right in the Metro. Who would spend that kind of time and money on travel when you don't have to? Other states don't have that option which is why Tier 1 serves a need and exists there.
Humbly disagree. I think there'd be a lot of interest. Shattuck, Gentry Galaxy (03 team basically plays as a Tier 1 team, it's mentioned in this post), the Blades, there is plenty of interest in the Tier 1 model in Minnesota.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:41 am

barry_mcconnell wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

I will take that bet and bet the farm! :lol:

50% of the kids on the teams that went are not 01's.

JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Tier 1 has been, at least in recent years, a solution looking for a problem in MN. Guys...we have the best of both worlds here in MN. High level affordable, community based hockey in the winter and Tier 1 - like AAA super teams in the summer (Machine, Blades, etc...). I think it's great. From my perspective it's a great mix and offers solid choice and choice is a good thing. And now Tier 1 has popped up for U16's and U18's. The market will determine if it will take off not a handful of hockey dads. It's actually a good niche at this age in MN. It will serve the HS player very well getting ready for the season.

The MN community based teams that went to the Bauer Invite were very competitive which is what everybody is looking for right? No issues there.

And I agree the MN bantam teams are not uniformly made up of 50% 01's at this age group. Knowing some of the teams like I do they will usually have 2-4 01's, 8-10 02's and 1-3 03's.

A few weeks ago we met and got to hang out with a group of dad's from a NJ Tier 1 team. Great group of guys and it was fascinating to talk to them and get their perspective on hockey. Our worlds are so different. Not better or worse...just different. However, when we told them our kids all lived within a 5 mile radius of each other and then told them what our "all-in" costs were for a typical season their jaws dropped open. The next question we got...how much does a house cost in MN? :D
"I find tinsel distracting"

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:26 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
barry_mcconnell wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

I 100% disagree on this.... 6 months at bantam age is where it makes THE MOST difference. Have you been to bantam games before? Have you seen the unbelievable size difference that occurs at the bantam age? You have kids who are 5'0" tall and 110 lbs playing against kids that are 6'2" and 200 lbs.... and I can tell you for a fact that six months makes a HUGE difference at that age. My oldest son was 5'1" and 115 lbs at the beginning of October of his first year of bantams, by March at the end of his first year of bantams he was 5'5" and 135 lbs... you don't think that made a huge difference in his game? ..... Further he is an August birthday in a state where they go purely by birth year. In MN he would have still been a Pee Wee, here he was a bantam. So again in my humble opinion you have it backwards. In my vast experience six months isn't that big of a deal at mites and squirts or even pee wees for the most part but it's a HUGE deal at bantams.

I'd also take umbrage with your idea that most of these Bantam AAA teams are taking players from "all over the world", sorry but that is not reality. 99% of the AAA teams that at are bantam age and younger are taking kids that are within driving distance to their rinks. I'll admit that midgets are a different animal but bantams and younger the kids overwhelmingly are from within a 2 hour drive of the AAA team's home rink. To give that further reality, yes MN takes from their "communities" but most of the communities up there have more hockey players in them than most AAA teams do within that same circumference. The Madison Capitols for instance if you drew a two hour drive circumference around Capitol Ice arena, you'd probably have the same number of players roughly that Edina has in a given age group....

Lastly, I think the Blades and other MN "all star" teams have proven time and again that while they can create more of them, that their "all star" teams aren't any better than the top AAA teams and going to these tournaments is more than worth their while. Everyone respects that you have greater numbers of players up there and the depth is superb but the top end talent isn't any better than top end talent elsewhere. :/

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:07 pm

JSR wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
barry_mcconnell wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

I 100% disagree on this.... 6 months at bantam age is where it makes THE MOST difference. Have you been to bantam games before? Have you seen the unbelievable size difference that occurs at the bantam age? You have kids who are 5'0" tall and 110 lbs playing against kids that are 6'2" and 200 lbs.... and I can tell you for a fact that six months makes a HUGE difference at that age. My oldest son was 5'1" and 115 lbs at the beginning of October of his first year of bantams, by March at the end of his first year of bantams he was 5'5" and 135 lbs... you don't think that made a huge difference in his game? ..... Further he is an August birthday in a state where they go purely by birth year. In MN he would have still been a Pee Wee, here he was a bantam. So again in my humble opinion you have it backwards. In my vast experience six months isn't that big of a deal at mites and squirts or even pee wees for the most part but it's a HUGE deal at bantams.

I'd also take umbrage with your idea that most of these Bantam AAA teams are taking players from "all over the world", sorry but that is not reality. 99% of the AAA teams that at are bantam age and younger are taking kids that are within driving distance to their rinks. I'll admit that midgets are a different animal but bantams and younger the kids overwhelmingly are from within a 2 hour drive of the AAA team's home rink. To give that further reality, yes MN takes from their "communities" but most of the communities up there have more hockey players in them than most AAA teams do within that same circumference. The Madison Capitols for instance if you drew a two hour drive circumference around Capitol Ice arena, you'd probably have the same number of players roughly that Edina has in a given age group....

Lastly, I think the Blades and other MN "all star" teams have proven time and again that while they can create more of them, that their "all star" teams aren't any better than the top AAA teams and going to these tournaments is more than worth their while. Everyone respects that you have greater numbers of players up there and the depth is superb but the top end talent isn't any better than top end talent elsewhere. :/
While I won't go as far as to say size doesn't matter, it most certainly does not make the "MOST" difference (to quote you). Ability to play the game is what makes the most difference. How big was the leading scorer in the USHL last year? He was playing against men.... Yes, kids hit growth spurt at different times, but only some will it make a difference for in that 6 month window. There is a 2nd half 03 birth year in our association that is bigger than most of the 01 second year bantams in our association, he is playing PW his size does not make him better....

observer

Post by observer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Whatever.
I've been thinking about a couple of Minnesota players getting recent attention. Mike Reilly and Jake Guentzel were two of the smallest MN PeeWee and Bantam players ever.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:40 pm

JoltDelivered wrote:Tier 1 has been, at least in recent years, a solution looking for a problem in MN.
That's the best description I've ever heard.
Be kind. Rewind.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 am

Agree with the comments about Tier 1 in MN. It is a solution looking for a problem. Best description I've heard to describe it.

Completely disagree about 6 months at Bantams, it makes a huge difference. My son is considered one of the bigger kids on his team. He went from 5-2 115 to 5-6 135 over the course of his first year at Bantams. Now as a second year he is 5-8 145 and is on the cusp of another growth spurt. Wouldn't shock me if he's almost 6 ft by the end of the season. This makes a huge difference.

Size matters. Sure players need to be skilled but it does matter, especially at this age. I mentioned he is one of the bigger kids on his team. It's an undersized team. They can play straight up with teams that play a speed, skill, positioning game. But when they go up against a team with size who figures out they can push them around, well it's game over. They have a very hard time competing with teams who have size and start laying the body.