16-17 Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

16-17 Gophers

Post by observer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 am

observer

Post by observer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:44 am

Reported elsewhere,
Rem Pitlick Will Play for Gophers in 2016-17
USHL story,

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/6 ... id=2650742

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:08 pm

The rich get richer, in both cases. <g>

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:15 am

observer wrote:Reported elsewhere,
Rem Pitlick Will Play for Gophers in 2016-17
USHL story,

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/6 ... id=2650742
I was at the game on Friday night and watch Rem get the hatty. I'm pretty sure he scored more goals in one night in the #15 jersey than the previous player scored over his 4 years.

They looked good, but some of that had to do with the weak opponent.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 am

It will be interesting to see what they do with the line combinations. Here are my predictions:

Reilly - Kloos - Szmatula
Gates - Novak - Sheehy
Bristedt - Pitlick - Lettieri
Cammarata/Norman - Romanko - Ramsey

Bischoff - Lindgren
Johnson - Sadek
Zuhlsdorf - Collins
Glover - Nanne

Schierhorn
Lehr
Kautz

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:01 pm

So disappointing... once again. This team caves with three goal lead... Coaching...

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:58 am

Brutal. We have an experienced team this year and SCS is young, and we still can't hold a lead and beat them!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:58 am

What has happened to Gopher Hockey? Very little interest, average team!

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:09 am

Should be an interesting weekend. Will be curious to see if there are more ND fans in the house than Gopher's! My neighbor wanted to go to the game and then saw the ticket prices and said NO THANKS.

I'm predicting a split.

observer

Post by observer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:25 am

I suggest they sign some more 14 year olds.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:01 pm

Nice game tonight.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:03 am

Looked in Fridays paper for article on the series, with THE OHIO STATE. Found it on page 11 of the sports, Big Ten Hockey rocks!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 am

The Big 10 does not create any of the excitement that the WCHA did. I am not sure it ever will.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:46 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:The Big 10 does not create any of the excitement that the WCHA did. I am not sure it ever will.
Oh, it's creating a lot of excitement.

In someone's bank account anyway.

But hockey-wise ?

Not so much.

But just like the Minnesota Mild.

As long as the $ keep rolling in

nothing will change.

Because if anyone believes college sports are about the sports

I have a bridge to sell ya.

<g>

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:23 pm

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:The Big 10 does not create any of the excitement that the WCHA did. I am not sure it ever will.

But hockey-wise ?

Not so much.

nothing will change.

<g>
I hear ya Zamboni. I sure do miss the old days.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:00 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

But hockey-wise ?

Not so much.

nothing will change.

<g>
I hear ya Zamboni. I sure do miss the old days.
Yeah I miss the days before parents and stupid money took over youth sports.

But can't close pandora's box now.

Nobodyonya

Cammarata

Post by Nobodyonya » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:42 pm

I always was impressed on the way Taylor had the ability to put the puck in the net. He has great hands, but lately the past 2 seasons have been disappointing for me. Anyone have any insight on why his goal scoring has not been up to par this year. He lit it up in the USHL , but once in college his performance deteriorated

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Re: Cammarata

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Nobodyonya wrote:I always was impressed on the way Taylor had the ability to put the puck in the net. He has great hands, but lately the past 2 seasons have been disappointing for me. Anyone have any insight on why his goal scoring has not been up to par this year. He lit it up in the USHL , but once in college his performance deteriorated
Could be a lot of things, including he wasn't in school/classes while in the USHL.

I know "school and classes" for these guys is a bit of a stretch in terms of demanding, (hockey player usually = Business or Human Resources degree, if even completed.......whoopee) but it does take some time, etc.

Some adapt better than others.

Plus, most years there are some really bad USHL teams.

Look at Cedar Rapids this year (again; they were bad a few years back too).

Or teammate friction.

Or nothing.

Who knows.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:33 am

Nobodyonya wrote:I always was impressed on the way Taylor had the ability to put the puck in the net. He has great hands, but lately the past 2 seasons have been disappointing for me. Anyone have any insight on why his goal scoring has not been up to par this year. He lit it up in the USHL , but once in college his performance deteriorated
The last two seasons???? He is a senior and never put the puck in the net since joining the Gophers. He's about as big of a flop as they have had since David Fisher! I think with his size, he is playing scared. If there is anybody within three strides of him, forget it. You can't score when you are nowhere near the net.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:47 am

I watched Friday's game on TV and was at Saturdays. It shocks me how bad this team is in the defensive zone. I ran out of fingers and toes trying to count the number of grade A scoring chances OSU had this weekend. I'm talking players all alone within 10 feet of the net and not a single gopher defensemen in site. Zuhlsdorf had a couple of brain farts in each game where he just got caught out of position. Glover had a brilliant first couple of shifts on Saturday. On the first one, he was slow getting to the terrible pass by Johnson, and then whips a behind the back pass behind the net, that clanged off the net right to the OSU player for an easy goal. Next shift he comes off the bench, skates across the ice and trips a guy along the boards. And Collins is just Collins. Big, slow, dumb, and plays soft.

I used to think Guentzel was a good coach, but the play over the last couple of years has just been terrible. I'm just not seeing any progression with any of them from the first year until they leave. Reilly and Skjei were great before they arrived, but where is the improvement in Glover, Collins, and Johnson?

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:09 pm

BodyShots wrote:I watched Friday's game on TV and was at Saturdays. It shocks me how bad this team is in the defensive zone. I ran out of fingers and toes trying to count the number of grade A scoring chances OSU had this weekend. I'm talking players all alone within 10 feet of the net and not a single gopher defensemen in site. Zuhlsdorf had a couple of brain farts in each game where he just got caught out of position. Glover had a brilliant first couple of shifts on Saturday. On the first one, he was slow getting to the terrible pass by Johnson, and then whips a behind the back pass behind the net, that clanged off the net right to the OSU player for an easy goal. Next shift he comes off the bench, skates across the ice and trips a guy along the boards. And Collins is just Collins. Big, slow, dumb, and plays soft.

I used to think Guentzel was a good coach, but the play over the last couple of years has just been terrible. I'm just not seeing any progression with any of them from the first year until they leave. Reilly and Skjei were great before they arrived, but where is the improvement in Glover, Collins, and Johnson?
They're to busy trying to score points when they should be playing d.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:10 pm

BodyShots wrote:
The last two seasons???? He is a senior and never put the puck in the net since joining the Gophers. He's about as big of a flop as they have had since David Fisher! I think with his size, he is playing scared. If there is anybody within three strides of him, forget it. You can't score when you are nowhere near the net.

Good point.

Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:09 pm

BodyShots wrote:

Good point.
Your right on that, but how will the Islanders look at this as they hold his draft pick? I am not well versed on this topic. Will they or can they just release him and call it a bad draft

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Nobodyonya wrote:
BodyShots wrote:

Good point.
Your right on that, but how will the Islanders look at this as they hold his draft pick? I am not well versed on this topic. Will they or can they just release him and call it a bad draft
Draft is about the same as a verbal d1 commitment; doesn't mean much until the player proves himself.

In terms of the actual ins/outs of the NHL draft rules/regs, someone else will have to answer that.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Gophers with a much needed win tonight.