Eligibility Question

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:55 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:I don't disagree with you. Minnesota hockey is at a crossroads with Tier 1..Do they "embrace" Tier 1 and try to work with it or figure how to limit competition to our current community based model. For fall and spring, MN Hockey is now in the tier 1 business so it's a little trickier how they approach the winter based tier 1 momentum.

Until then, parents are going to shop their kids every time things don't go their way and the associations are somewhat handcuffed on what they can do to limit it.

If you look around at most of the bigger (and stronger) associations, on almost every team is 1,2, 3 kids who either just moved into the area for hockey or is playing the open enroll game. These larger associations are really becoming to look more and more like a tier 1 all star team then a team of neighborhood kids.
MN Hockey is not really in the tier 1 business, just because they call the fall league tier 1 does not make it tier 1 hockey. The only aspect of it being tier 1 is the ability of a team to go to nationals, other than Shattuck in the playoffs, they don't play any other tier 1 teams or go to any tier 1 tournaments. Going out of town a couple of weekend within Minnesota and playing other Minnesota teams is far from the travel schedule and competition level of playing actual tier 1 teams. Don't get me wrong, I think what MNH is doing is a positive, just don't confuse it as tier 1 just because they call it that.