Section 4AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BlueLineSpecial

Section 4AA

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:26 am

Current state AA standings:

Stillwater #1
Hill Murray #5
WBL #16

Hill and Stillwater don't play in the regular season this year, and Hill played WBL once (and tied). Hill played Tartan twice (tie and win).

WBL tied Hill, doesn't play Tartan, and play Stillwater twice (already with a win, rematch in the last game of the season).

Section #1 seed currently sits comfortably in WBL's hands. They haven't lost to a section foe yet this year. This likely means a Stillwater v Hill section semifinal, though in reality both Stillwater and Hill Murray are better teams (my opinion) and will likely finish with better records than WBL.

That means a mega showdown in the 4AA section semis between Stillwater and Hill, and barring a huge upset to meet WBL in the 4AA finals.

This all assuming WBL doesn't lose to Mounds View or Roseville (something anyone who knows WBL hockey knows would be just the thing they would do) and/or get blown out in the season finale against Stillwater.

Section as it stands today:

WBL 1
SW 2
Hill 3
Tartan 4

Should be interesting. Hill is rounding into a very scary team. They might have the best goalie in the state, and have a ridiculous defense. They are finding a groove on offense and are very very dangerous. But meeting Stillwater in the section semis would suck.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

blueblood

4AA

Post by blueblood » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:55 am

Did you forget about Woodbury?

WOODBURY
2-2-0 in Section play
10-5-0 overall
13th in QRF

TARTAN
0-2-1 in Section play
8-5-1 overall
39th in QRF

BlueLineSpecial

Re: 4AA

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:58 am

blueblood wrote:Did you forget about Woodbury?

WOODBURY
2-2-0 in Section play
10-5-0 overall
13th in QRF

TARTAN
0-2-1 in Section play
8-5-1 overall
39th in QRF
Yup, totally forgot about Woodbury. Thanks BB. That changes things for WBL, since the Bears lost to them already.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 am

Wow WBL wins one game and they are automatically the best team in the section. If that is your reasoning, then hmmm.. Woodbury beat WBL so by your standards wouldn't that make them the number one seed?
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:52 am

pioneers wrote:Wow WBL wins one game and they are automatically the best team in the section. If that is your reasoning, then hmmm.. Woodbury beat WBL so by your standards wouldn't that make them the number one seed?
No matter one man's opinion,
4 along with 8 & 7 should be great section play-offs.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:59 am

pioneers wrote:Wow WBL wins one game and they are automatically the best team in the section. If that is your reasoning, then hmmm.. Woodbury beat WBL so by your standards wouldn't that make them the number one seed?
Well isn't section seeding based heavily on head to head? So if Hill and Stillwater don't play, WBL beats Stillwater (I do say right now, not projecting what might happen for the remainder of the season) and ties Hill in their only matchup, wouldn't that give WBL, right now, a leg up on everyone in the section? I think I was pretty clear I don't think they are the best team in the section. But results are results.

And yeah I forgot about Woodbury. For some reason I still think of them as not in 4AA. So that throws some things off.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Stillwater opens the door for Hill-Murray for the #1 seed in section and the joy of not getting WBL in the semis. I still think Stillwater will end up with the #1 seed due to HM having such a tough schedule the rest of the way.

Currently HM is 1-0-2 and Stillwater is 1-2-0 in common opponents.

I must say, for the second year in a row, I think Stillwater has done themselves a great disservice by not scheduling better opponents in the non-conference schedule. They are somewhat handicapped by have a lot of conference games (especially compared to Hill), but Jefferson, Prior Lake, Benilde, Lakeville South, and Mahtomedi aren't going to battle test them the way they need to beat the western metro teams. They did play Elk River (and beat them) for their best win of the year. And there is no doubt the Elks are a top 5 team. More games against Tonka, Wayzata, Edina, STA, HM etc would have been in Stillwater's best interest.