Four-team 'North-South Classic' tourney debuts next season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Four-team 'North-South Classic' tourney debuts next season

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:05 am

A little strange that for the inaugural tournament they've chosen two teams (BSM and Brainerd) that are currently unranked...hopefully they'll be more competitive next year. Also puzzling is why they put the top two teams (Eden Prairie and Hermantown) in the same bracket :?: Otherwise I like the concept and hope it becomes the first of many.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:43 am

Wrong year for EP to be playing HT!

kniven

Re: Four-team 'North-South Classic' tourney debuts next seas

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:39 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:A little strange that for the inaugural tournament they've chosen two teams (BSM and Brainerd) that are currently unranked...hopefully they'll be more competitive next year. Also puzzling is why they put the top two teams (Eden Prairie and Hermantown) in the same bracket :?: Otherwise I like the concept and hope it becomes the first of many.

Hermantown chosen over Duluth East? How dare they!!!

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Not that it's at all strange for Herm to play AA teams, but I do wonder if this is a signal they are going AA next year.

Or is Duluth Marshall tired of having them win the Hilltopper classic every year, so they booted them out?
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 pm

BodyShots wrote:Wrong year for EP to be playing HT!
I will bite. Why is that? Hermantown will reload and be Hermantown next year.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:02 pm

kniven wrote:
Maybe cuz Htown reloads better than EP does?

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:25 pm

InYourFace09 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Keep in mind that next year's Hermantown seniors struggled when they were second year bantam AAs. We all know that bantam performance isn't necessarily an indicator of success in high school...sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Certainly coaching can be a key difference. But that Hermantown team was sub-.500 at the bantam AA level. The other strong Hermantown teams in recent years were also strong as bantams.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Duluthguy wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Keep in mind that next year's Hermantown seniors struggled when they were second year bantam AAs. We all know that bantam performance isn't necessarily an indicator of success in high school...sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Certainly coaching can be a key difference. But that Hermantown team was sub-.500 at the bantam AA level. The other strong Hermantown teams in recent years were also strong as bantams.
Sub .500 playing a tough AA schedule. I bet they destroyed the A teams they played.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Duluthguy wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Next year is definitely going to be a down year for HT in addition to probably having a new head coach. Kudos to HT and EP for accepting the game. HT and EP will play anybody unlike some other teams in the state. HT has played EP 3 times. Once on Hockey Day after DE refused to play and then in 2011 and 2012. Hermantown has never won but each game was close with the 2011 game being decided with 5 seconds left in OT by a diving goal by Rau. That year EP went on to win state beating DE in 3OT thriller.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm

pekyman wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Next year is definitely going to be a down year for HT in addition to probably having a new head coach. Kudos to HT and EP for accepting the game. HT and EP will play anybody unlike some other teams in the state. HT has played EP 3 times. Once on Hockey Day after DE refused to play and then in 2011 and 2012. Hermantown has never won but each game was close with the 2011 game being decided with 5 seconds left in OT by a diving goal by Rau. That year EP went on to win state beating DE in 3OT thriller.
Disagree. Hermantown haters been saying 'oh, they be down next year' and it doesn't happen. The Hawks are the 'newer' 'hip' 'suburban' 'private but public' school in the Duluth area. Sure Duluth East still gets all the big toys, but Hermantown gets lots of toys too. I'm in Hermantown a lot for work and many good friends there. It's as 'Brady Bunch" " leave it to Beaver" anywhere. And they are crazy about their high school hockey. And when they go AA, talk about it. A runaway freight train with a Hawk on skates!! Duluth Marshall will gladly head back down to A.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:12 pm

kniven wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Disagree. Hermantown haters been saying 'oh, they be down next year' and it doesn't happen. The Hawks are the 'newer' 'hip' 'suburban' 'private but public' school in the Duluth area. Sure Duluth East still gets all the big toys, but Hermantown gets lots of toys too. I'm in Hermantown a lot for work and many good friends there. It's as 'Brady Bunch" " leave it to Beaver" anywhere. And they are crazy about their high school hockey. And when they go AA, talk about it. A runaway freight train with a Hawk on skates!! Duluth Marshall will gladly head back down to A.
:lol:

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:55 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:A little strange that for the inaugural tournament they've chosen two teams (BSM and Brainerd) that are currently unranked...hopefully they'll be more competitive next year. Also puzzling is why they put the top two teams (Eden Prairie and Hermantown) in the same bracket :?: Otherwise I like the concept and hope it becomes the first of many.

Does not appear to be brackets, more of a round robin.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 pm

inthetwine wrote:

Correct, both "North" teams play both "South" teams.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:10 pm

InYourFace09 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:

Correct, both "North" teams play both "South" teams.
Disagree. North teams playing Metro teams. Don't confuse Metro and South teams. Perception is everything. 4000 enrollment and metro private vs. 1200 enrollment and Duluth area private/public.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:17 pm

kniven wrote:Disagree. North teams playing Metro teams. Don't confuse Metro and South teams. Perception is everything. 4000 enrollment and metro private vs. 1200 enrollment and Duluth area private/public.
Last I checked EP's enrollment was around 3,000, not 4,000. Still huge, I'll grant you that.