Greenway vs Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Greenway vs Rapids

Post by greenwayraider » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 am

I can't contain myself so I have to start this conversation now. The memories that this rivalry brings can't be explained. You have to have lived in one of these communities to understand it. The intensity of this rivalry really went to a different level when the family of Jon Casey moved to Rapids and lead them to their last championship. As much as I'd like to think that Greenway can make this a game I understand the chances of that are slim. My main hope is that it can be a game into the second period and Greenway can avoid running time. The gap between these two teams will begin to close in the near future.

Forwards - Big advantage to Rapids. The D-1 prospects for Rapids and none for Greenway although Lantz and Lawson are very good. Though some question Rapids depth, against an A team they do have superior depth. Their second line is sold. Micah Miller's speed will result in a big night for him. Edge to Rapids

Defensemen -Stampohar is a quality defenseman and will be the best one on the ice. However, as a group this is Rapids' weakest position. At times Rapids has really struggled to break-out and this is where Greenway might be able to produce a turnover or two. Greenway's defensemen are solid but will have a difficult time containing Rapids' forwards. They need to be careful not to get caught deep or take any risks that will allow Rapids forwards to get an odd man rush. Edge to Rapids

Goalie - This has been a pleasant surprise for Greenway. Anick has played well and made a couple of excellent saves against Lourdes. Don't know who Rapids will play in goal but they will have an edge. If it's Stejskal he does have a tendency to give up big rebounds although he certainly is a very good goalie. Edge to Rapids.

Coaching: Both are great coaches. Even

Penalties: Both these teams take a lot of bad penalties. If Greenway is to have any chance of keeping this close they need to stay out of the box. Rapids' powerplay puts the D1 players on the ice and they will put the puck in the net.

Score: Rapids 9, Greenway 2

kniven

Re: Greenway vs Rapids

Post by kniven » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:38 pm

greenwayraider wrote:I can't contain myself so I have to start this conversation now. The memories that this rivalry brings can't be explained. You have to have lived in one of these communities to understand it. The intensity of this rivalry really went to a different level when the family of Jon Casey moved to Rapids and lead them to their last championship. As much as I'd like to think that Greenway can make this a game I understand the chances of that are slim. My main hope is that it can be a game into the second period and Greenway can avoid running time. The gap between these two teams will begin to close in the near future.

Forwards - Big advantage to Rapids. The D-1 prospects for Rapids and none for Greenway although Lantz and Lawson are very good. Though some question Rapids depth, against an A team they do have superior depth. Their second line is sold. Micah Miller's speed will result in a big night for him. Edge to Rapids

Defensemen -Stampohar is a quality defenseman and will be the best one on the ice. However, as a group this is Rapids' weakest position. At times Rapids has really struggled to break-out and this is where Greenway might be able to produce a turnover or two. Greenway's defensemen are solid but will have a difficult time containing Rapids' forwards. They need to be careful not to get caught deep or take any risks that will allow Rapids forwards to get an odd man rush. Edge to Rapids

Goalie - This has been a pleasant surprise for Greenway. Anick has played well and made a couple of excellent saves against Lourdes. Don't know who Rapids will play in goal but they will have an edge. If it's Stejskal he does have a tendency to give up big rebounds although he certainly is a very good goalie. Edge to Rapids.

Coaching: Both are great coaches. Even

Penalties: Both these teams take a lot of bad penalties. If Greenway is to have any chance of keeping this close they need to stay out of the box. Rapids' powerplay puts the D1 players on the ice and they will put the puck in the net.

Score: Rapids 9, Greenway 2
How many times has Greenway beaten Rapids in the last 20 years? What year did they last beat Rapids? Point differential the last 20 years? Curious

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Mike Antonovich is a Minnesota High School Hockey legend.

I'm not sure Rapids has one to match in HS. You always have a special place in your heart for the little guy, right Roso?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:26 am

Goldyismoldy wrote:Mike Antonovich is a Minnesota High School Hockey legend.

I'm not sure Rapids has one to match in HS. You always have a special place in your heart for the little guy, right Roso?
He was something else. I liked what he said on The History of Minnesota Hockey special they used to run.

"I've played with some of the greatest players in the world but playing with my buddies and wanting to play for the Taconite Hornets were some of my favorite memories." Or something like that anyway.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:22 pm

An interesting fact about Antonovich. He actually should not have started kindergarten until the following year. He didn't turn 5 until he was in first grade. Rumor had it he was driving his mom nuts so she sent him to school.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm

The Gino Guyer/Andy Sertich Greenway teams of the early 2000's thumped the Indians in the sections

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:49 pm

WendyClark wrote:The Gino Guyer/Andy Sertich Greenway teams of the early 2000's thumped the Indians in the sections
What year did Greenway leave 7AA? Hibbing? Anybody know the history of 7AA from 2000 on as far as teams in it? Thanks.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:21 pm

kniven wrote:
WendyClark wrote:The Gino Guyer/Andy Sertich Greenway teams of the early 2000's thumped the Indians in the sections
What year did Greenway leave 7AA? Hibbing? Anybody know the history of 7AA from 2000 on as far as teams in it? Thanks.
If I remember correctly, Hibbing first went to A in 1994, then back up to AA from 96-00, then back to A.

The goal should be to get back to AA.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:00 pm

kniven wrote:
On the main page of minnhock there is a section and state tournament results going back many years, you'll find everything you need to know

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:13 am

Greenway probably needs to keep this one low scoring. The longer it goes with the score close will obviously begin to tilt in their favor as the game wears on. Anything could happen when these two play though.

There have been many heated games played in this rivalry but I am glad to see them on the schedule again. Good luck to both. (but a little more to the Injuns) :)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 am

Guessing GR by 5.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:34 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Goldyismoldy wrote:Mike Antonovich is a Minnesota High School Hockey legend.

He was something else. I liked what he said on The History of Minnesota Hockey special they used to run.

"I've played with some of the greatest players in the world but playing with my buddies and wanting to play for the Taconite Hornets were some of my favorite memories." Or something like that anyway.
so when do grand rapids and greenway combine on the boys side like the girls?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm

I think it was kicked around a few years back. I think both would rather quit than do that though. :)

You never know what the future could bring. (I meant to quote you Kniven)

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Greenway will combine with Rapids the same day Cloquet combines with Duluth East.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:44 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Greenway will combine with Rapids the same day Cloquet combines with Duluth East.
Both teams would need Kevlar uniforms for sure.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:47 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Greenway will combine with Rapids the same day Cloquet combines with Duluth East.
Yikes!

Hula Papa

Post by Hula Papa » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:17 pm

kniven wrote:
How many times has Greenway beaten Rapids in the last 20 years? What year did they last beat Rapids? Point differential the last 20 years? Curious
FRI - December 4 1998 Greenway 2 - Rapids 1 G
FRI - January 22 1999 Greenway 5 - Rapids 4 G

FRI - December 10 1999 Greenway 4 - Rapids 1 G
FRI - January 28 2000 Greenway 4 - Rapids 1 G
Playoff Quarter final 2000 Greenway 7 - Rapids 3 G

FRI - December 8 2000 Greenway 8 - Rapids 3 G
THU- January 25 2001 Greenway 7 - Rapids 1 G

FRI - December 7 2001 Greenway 3 - Rapids 4 GR
FRI - January 25 2002 Greenway 2 - Rapids 2 T
Playoff Quarter final 2002 Greenway 7 - Rapids 1 G

FRI - December 6 2002 Greenway 3 - Rapids 3 T
THU- January 23 2003 Greenway 2 - Rapids 1 G

FRI - December 12 2003 Greenway 3 - Rapids 4 GR
FRI - January 30 2004 Greenway 4 - Rapids 2 G

Here’s where the Raiders began their decade long slump, declining enrollment and kids that were in the hockey program moved to Rapids and other programs.
Also Coach Pat Guyer (now in the coaches hall of fame) retired after the 2002-2003 season (I think it was that season). No stability at all levels in the program begin.

New Head Coach takes over this season. Gary Ohrn.

FRI - December 3 2004 Greenway 3 - Rapids 7 GR
FRI - January 21 2005 Greenway 3 - Rapids 9 GR

-Head Coach Gary Ohrn steps down after one year and a new head coach takes over the program. Gary Gustafson.
-This is also the first year the program competed in 7A. No longer one of few Davids playing the Goliath’s in AA hockey in the state.
-Before the school year begins the starting goalie leaves to play for Virgina his senior year.

FRI - December 9 2005 Greenway 2 - Rapids 12 GR
FRI - January 27 2006 Greenway 0 - Rapids 8 GR

FRI - December 8 2006 Greenway 1 - Rapids 9 GR
THU - January 25 2007 Greenway 3 - Rapids 6 GR

-After the 2007 school year sophomore goalie who split time that year starting and was going to be the starter the next two years leaves for Grand Rapids.
- In total 5 kids total who would have been on the team the following years move.
- I also believe this year the entire bantam program was shut down due to not even having enough guys to dress for a team.

FRI - December 7 2007 Greenway 5 - Rapids 6 GR
THU - January 24 2008 Greenway 3 - Rapids 7 GR

-Head Coach Fired. New coach Jeff Antonovich steps in.
-Sometime around this year current Rapids senior defenseman Stamophar moved from Greenway to Rapids.
-Kid from the co-op with Nashwaulk-Keewatin who played Greenway hockey his entire life quits before his senior season.

THU - December 11 2008 Greenway 0 - Rapids 8 GR
THU- January 29 2009 Greenway 1 - Rapids 7 GR

This was the last season the two schools played each other. Rapids is on an 10 game winning streak against Greenway. More kids in Bantams and younger move over to Rapids from Greenway.
Head Coach fired and new head coach takes over for the 2009 -2010 season lasting for 6 seasons (I think) until current head coach and former Rapids graduate and hockey player Grant Clafton takes over for the 2015 - 2016 season.

From the 04 - 05 season when Greenway Hockey began its debacle until the last game in 2009, Rapids went 10-0 outscoring Greenway 79 to 21 in those 10 wins.
From the 98 - 99 season to the 03 -04 season Greenway went 10-2-2 (including playoffs) outscoring Rapids 61 to 31.
So the last 11 seasons the two rivals played each other Rapids has won 12 while Greenway has won 10 and 2 ties.

Many of the young kids today and even some of the adults who seem to (arrogantly) forget think Rapids has always dominated Greenway. But during the many years of the great rivalry both teams took turns dominating and there was many many great games in the rivalry. Rapids continues to this day to produce D1 players and there was a time where Greenway was producing just as many D1 players even still always being a lot smaller school. I remember in the early to mid 2000’s before Greenways down slide that a picture of both teams players during a game was on the cover of the Minneapolis Star Tribune (I think it was the MST) sports section and it was noted as the best rivalry in the state. Now there is many great rivalries in the state and each two schools thinks theirs is the best but it was still cool to see Greenway and Grand Rapids on the cover that day in a big city newspaper and what it meant to the two schools.

Im sure some of you can remember or have game scores from 97-98 season and earlier. I think Greenway beat Rapids both times in the 97-98 season so this year by year comparison could go on and on if we wanted it too.

Current Greenway Head Coach Grant Clafton (Grand Rapids grad 2001) never beat Greenway his entire high school career. 0 wins and 6 losses.
Rapids assistant coach Beau Giesler (Greenway grad 1999) if memory serves me beat Rapids plenty more times then he lost to them. Im sure there are and will be some interesting discussions between locals in the two communities leading up to the game.
And regardless of what happens at the game Friday night which I expect Rapids to win, its great to see this rivalry back in action at the high school level. In the next few years its gong to be very interesting and humbling for some.

scores from http://www.minnhock.com/minnhock.htm. I could have incorrectly stated some things but I believe its very accurate.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Hula Papa wrote:
kniven wrote:
FRI - December 4 1998 Greenway 2 - Rapids 1 G
FRI - January 22 1999 Greenway 5 - Rapids 4 G

FRI - December 10 1999 Greenway 4 - Rapids 1 G
FRI - January 28 2000 Greenway 4 - Rapids 1 G
Playoff Quarter final 2000 Greenway 7 - Rapids 3 G

FRI - December 8 2000 Greenway 8 - Rapids 3 G
THU- January 25 2001 Greenway 7 - Rapids 1 G

FRI - December 7 2001 Greenway 3 - Rapids 4 GR
FRI - January 25 2002 Greenway 2 - Rapids 2 T
Playoff Quarter final 2002 Greenway 7 - Rapids 1 G

FRI - December 6 2002 Greenway 3 - Rapids 3 T
THU- January 23 2003 Greenway 2 - Rapids 1 G

FRI - December 12 2003 Greenway 3 - Rapids 4 GR
FRI - January 30 2004 Greenway 4 - Rapids 2 G

Here’s where the Raiders began their decade long slump, declining enrollment and kids that were in the hockey program moved to Rapids and other programs.
Also Coach Pat Guyer (now in the coaches hall of fame) retired after the 2002-2003 season (I think it was that season). No stability at all levels in the program begin.

New Head Coach takes over this season. Gary Ohrn.

FRI - December 3 2004 Greenway 3 - Rapids 7 GR
FRI - January 21 2005 Greenway 3 - Rapids 9 GR

-Head Coach Gary Ohrn steps down after one year and a new head coach takes over the program. Gary Gustafson.
-This is also the first year the program competed in 7A. No longer one of few Davids playing the Goliath’s in AA hockey in the state.
-Before the school year begins the starting goalie leaves to play for Virgina his senior year.

FRI - December 9 2005 Greenway 2 - Rapids 12 GR
FRI - January 27 2006 Greenway 0 - Rapids 8 GR

FRI - December 8 2006 Greenway 1 - Rapids 9 GR
THU - January 25 2007 Greenway 3 - Rapids 6 GR

-After the 2007 school year sophomore goalie who split time that year starting and was going to be the starter the next two years leaves for Grand Rapids.
- In total 5 kids total who would have been on the team the following years move.
- I also believe this year the entire bantam program was shut down due to not even having enough guys to dress for a team.

FRI - December 7 2007 Greenway 5 - Rapids 6 GR
THU - January 24 2008 Greenway 3 - Rapids 7 GR

-Head Coach Fired. New coach Jeff Antonovich steps in.
-Sometime around this year current Rapids senior defenseman Stamophar moved from Greenway to Rapids.
-Kid from the co-op with Nashwaulk-Keewatin who played Greenway hockey his entire life quits before his senior season.

THU - December 11 2008 Greenway 0 - Rapids 8 GR
THU- January 29 2009 Greenway 1 - Rapids 7 GR

This was the last season the two schools played each other. Rapids is on an 10 game winning streak against Greenway. More kids in Bantams and younger move over to Rapids from Greenway.
Head Coach fired and new head coach takes over for the 2009 -2010 season lasting for 6 seasons (I think) until current head coach and former Rapids graduate and hockey player Grant Clafton takes over for the 2015 - 2016 season.

From the 04 - 05 season when Greenway Hockey began its debacle until the last game in 2009, Rapids went 10-0 outscoring Greenway 79 to 21 in those 10 wins.
From the 98 - 99 season to the 03 -04 season Greenway went 10-2-2 (including playoffs) outscoring Rapids 61 to 31.
So the last 11 seasons the two rivals played each other Rapids has won 12 while Greenway has won 10 and 2 ties.

Many of the young kids today and even some of the adults who seem to (arrogantly) forget think Rapids has always dominated Greenway. But during the many years of the great rivalry both teams took turns dominating and there was many many great games in the rivalry. Rapids continues to this day to produce D1 players and there was a time where Greenway was producing just as many D1 players even still always being a lot smaller school. I remember in the early to mid 2000’s before Greenways down slide that a picture of both teams players during a game was on the cover of the Minneapolis Star Tribune (I think it was the MST) sports section and it was noted as the best rivalry in the state. Now there is many great rivalries in the state and each two schools thinks theirs is the best but it was still cool to see Greenway and Grand Rapids on the cover that day in a big city newspaper and what it meant to the two schools.

Im sure some of you can remember or have game scores from 97-98 season and earlier. I think Greenway beat Rapids both times in the 97-98 season so this year by year comparison could go on and on if we wanted it too.

Current Greenway Head Coach Grant Clafton (Grand Rapids grad 2001) never beat Greenway his entire high school career. 0 wins and 6 losses.
Rapids assistant coach Beau Giesler (Greenway grad 1999) if memory serves me beat Rapids plenty more times then he lost to them. Im sure there are and will be some interesting discussions between locals in the two communities leading up to the game.
And regardless of what happens at the game Friday night which I expect Rapids to win, its great to see this rivalry back in action at the high school level. In the next few years its gong to be very interesting and humbling for some.

scores from http://www.minnhock.com/minnhock.htm. I could have incorrectly stated some things but I believe its very accurate.
Thank you so much! Very interesting read. Yes, I checked out the website. It's too bad Greenway became a feeder program for Grand Rapids. It's obvious their success has a lot to do with that.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:05 am

What a great recap of this rivalry. Thanks Hula Papa.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50 am

Fantastic summary of a great rivalry. Tremendous respect for both programs and the rivalry from your out state friends to the West.

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:37 am

I don't think there are many in Rapids that believe Rapids has always dominated this rivalry. The memories of the decade-long drought still exist. I still remember when Rapids won that OT game in the Snakepit in...maybe 2001? That was a BIG deal. Greenway was ranked #1 in the state for a while around that time.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Rapids 1 , Greenway 0.end of 1. Shots 12-8. Greenway. Powerplay goal by Stampohar. Rapids is taking some dumb penalties.

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:03 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Rapids 1 , Greenway 0.end of 1. Shots 12-8. Greenway. Powerplay goal by Stampohar. Rapids is taking some dumb penalties.
Nice work by the Raiders keeping it tight after one. If they can hang around...
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 pm

2-0. Powerplay Miller

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:36 pm

3-0. Raider defenseman turnover.