Freshmen playing varsity

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:50 am

Roseau Rams - Hanson O'Leary - 4g 5a 9pts in 8 gms

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 pm

#9 lakeville N. Watched for 2nd time this year. Last night vs Holy Fam, looked out of place, I thought the same when I watched games vs STA 2nd game of season. Not a hater don t know the kid from the man n the moon, just a observation. I realize those are two of the better teams around.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:35 pm

#5 CDH, thought he looked very good vs STA Tue. Truly a varsity player.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 pm

OG85- with Boltmann, Hanus and Brink now committed, odds are the next two to commit from this years freshman class will be Gleason and LaVelle. Sounds like you were pretty impressed with Gleason. Go see LaVelle if you haven't , Chaska beat Bsm today and I think they play Jefferson at BIG next week

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Somehow I forgot to add Chaskas Rhett Pitlick to this list: 20 points so far

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:29 pm

There are too many of them I'll tell you that. These kids passing up 50-60 bantam games to play 3rd or 4th line Varsity is a shame. Unless you are going to step into a top 6 F or top 4 D, it blows my mind why kids would want to pass up having success and gaining confidence. Then there is the kids that move up early to play JV hockey? That's just plain dumb. No one can say that JV hockey is a better level then bantam AA, if they do they are either ignorant or ignorant.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 am

wannagototherink wrote:There are too many of them I'll tell you that. These kids passing up 50-60 bantam games to play 3rd or 4th line Varsity is a shame. Unless you are going to step into a top 6 F or top 4 D, it blows my mind why kids would want to pass up having success and gaining confidence. Then there is the kids that move up early to play JV hockey? That's just plain dumb. No one can say that JV hockey is a better level then bantam AA, if they do they are either ignorant or ignorant.
Most likely, like everything else in hockey, parent driven.

Teak

Post by Teak » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:03 am

Marshall's frosh defenseman Kaleb Welvaert has 6 goals and 16 assists in 22 games, which puts him third on the team in scoring.

That would be the real Marshall high school, not Rochester John Marshall and certainly not The Marshall School of Duluth.

Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:17 pm

wannagototherink wrote:There are too many of them I'll tell you that. These kids passing up 50-60 bantam games to play 3rd or 4th line Varsity is a shame. Unless you are going to step into a top 6 F or top 4 D, it blows my mind why kids would want to pass up having success and gaining confidence. Then there is the kids that move up early to play JV hockey? That's just plain dumb. No one can say that JV hockey is a better level then bantam AA, if they do they are either ignorant or ignorant.
Amen to all above. Right on-

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:16 pm

OK WANNABE- My son is a 9th grader who plays JV. STA tuition plus BAA just wasn t in our budget smart guy. :roll: He is my 4th kid to play. Two older boys played BA/AA. one for one year the other for two. This one played AA last year at FL. This year FL is only play BA [and no has not played any AA teams] By AA I mean Stillwater/WBL/Andover/Cloquet yada yada. Could not play on Sibley/SSP top team due to Mn hockey rules. Plays every day with players that are much better then any players on Forest Lakes Bantam team. Has played Zeta/Edina/EP/Tonka/Lakeville N/HF/ ect ect JV teams. these teams would beat AA bantam teams in most if not all cases. Not to mention at STA the coaches have practices where all the forwards skate together [varsity/jv] then they go to the trainers and eat/lift. then the defense go on the ice. Further STA has no girls team and the collage skates during the day. SOOOOO if the coaches want they can skate kids for as long as they want. [like after certain conference losses] One size does not fit all. Wake up know it all !!!! [-X It is a choice that works well with football and tennis seasons. these kids skate all yeaR long why do they need 60 BAA games. They get asked to play tournys all dam summer. HP/tier1, how many games does your book on the perfect amount of games a 9th grader needs to be happy say anyway ?? Oh let me guess this is just your opinion.

West metro - My skated in Bantam elite with lavalle he is great. I have not seen him yet on varsity ice, I thought RP was a 10th grader.
Last edited by old goalie85 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:19 am

old goalie85 wrote:OK WANNABE- My son is a 9th grader who plays JV. STA tuition plus BAA just wasn t in our budget smart guy. :roll: He is my 4th kid to play. Two older boys played BA/AA. one for one year the other for two. This one played AA last year at FL. This year FL is only play BA [and no has not played any AA teams] By AA I mean Stillwater/WBL/Andover yada yada. Could not play on Sibley/SSP top team due to Mn hockey rules. Plays every day with players that are much better then any players on Forest Lakes Bantam team. Has played Zeta/Edina/EP/Tonka/Lakeville N/HF/ ect ect JV teams. these teams would beat AA bantam teams in most if not all cases. Not to mention at STA the coaches have practices where all the forwards skate together [varsity/jv] then they go to the trainers and eat/lift. then the defense go on the ice. Further STA has no girls team and the collage skates during the day. SOOOOO if the coaches want they can skate kids for as long as they want. [like after certain conference losses] One size does not fit all. Wake up know it all !!!! [-X It is a choice that works well with football and tennis seasons. these kids skate all yeaR long why do they need 60 BAA games. They get asked to play tournys all dam summer. HP/tier1, how many games does your book on the perfect amount of games a 9th grader needs to be happy say anyway ?? Oh let me guess this is just your opinion.

West metro - My skated in Bantam elite with lavalle he is great. I have not seen him yet on varsity ice, I thought RP was a 10th grader.
Didn't need to read anymore after this comment. :P

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:56 am

Anybody notice that Bob's kid Mack is doing pretty well with Cathedral? 25 points in 21 games. Bob would throw a fit if he found out somebody was talking up his kid, but gotta give credit where credit is due. :)

greatone

Post by greatone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Pine City area has 2 Freshmen D men in their top 5 D.

Dusty Bergstrom (younger of the Bergstrom boys) Currently has 7g 21a = 28pts... Not to bad for a 2002 B-day playing varsity

Gabe Westbrook (younger of the Westbrook boys) Currently has 1g 4a = 5pts

Shortshift

Post by Shortshift » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:27 am

Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Motzko had to move up due to his age. No bantam eligibility left.

berditzman

Post by berditzman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:43 pm

St. Cloud Cathedral's 3 varsity freshman have 67 points between the three of them with a very difficult schedule. Good experience for next year!

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm

BodyShots wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:OK WANNABE- My son is a 9th grader who plays JV. STA tuition plus BAA just wasn t in our budget smart guy. :roll: He is my 4th kid to play. Two older boys played BA/AA. one for one year the other for two. This one played AA last year at FL. This year FL is only play BA [and no has not played any AA teams] By AA I mean Stillwater/WBL/Andover yada yada. Could not play on Sibley/SSP top team due to Mn hockey rules. Plays every day with players that are much better then any players on Forest Lakes Bantam team. Has played Zeta/Edina/EP/Tonka/Lakeville N/HF/ ect ect JV teams. these teams would beat AA bantam teams in most if not all cases. Not to mention at STA the coaches have practices where all the forwards skate together [varsity/jv] then they go to the trainers and eat/lift. then the defense go on the ice. Further STA has no girls team and the collage skates during the day. SOOOOO if the coaches want they can skate kids for as long as they want. [like after certain conference losses] One size does not fit all. Wake up know it all !!!! [-X It is a choice that works well with football and tennis seasons. these kids skate all yeaR long why do they need 60 BAA games. They get asked to play tournys all dam summer. HP/tier1, how many games does your book on the perfect amount of games a 9th grader needs to be happy say anyway ?? Oh let me guess this is just your opinion.

First of all, the summer garbage is just that...garbage. Playing as a legit team during the season is a considerably different experience then jumping from one AAA team to the next. As far as skill development goes, why is 60 bantam games better? Well because all the Science and research done the last 25 years says so. Obviously, if finance is a barrier then of course playing JV is better then what, not playing? Just as there are certainly 9th graders skill Wise that do benefit from the early move up. However, that number is currently way higher then it should be. The problem is most cases is ego, not money or skill. Everyone is so afraid that someone's Johnny is gonna get over on their Jimmy. Plain and simple. You make it sound like those 25 JV games are all top quality hockey games. Let's face it, probably closer to half of those games are against rotten opponents. There just isn't enough schools that can field 2 quality teams. There is No one who would convince me that JV hockey is a better brand over the course of the season the bantam AA. Yes, that is my opinion and it's based on facts and research. Don't get me started on these money making groups that exploit families with garbage claims of scouts and exposure under the guise of "Elite".

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:18 pm

BodyShots wrote:

First of all, the summer garbage is just that...garbage. Playing as a legit team during the season is a considerably different experience then jumping from one AAA team to the next. As far as skill development goes, why is 60 bantam games better? Well because all the Science and research done the last 25 years says so. Obviously, if finance is a barrier then of course playing JV is better then what, not playing? Just as there are certainly 9th graders skill Wise that do benefit from the early move up. However, that number is currently way higher then it should be. The problem is most cases is ego, not money or skill. Everyone is so afraid that someone's Johnny is gonna get over on their Jimmy. Plain and simple. You make it sound like those 25 JV games are all top quality hockey games. Let's face it, probably closer to half of those games are against rotten opponents. There just isn't enough schools that can field 2 quality teams. There is No one who would convince me that JV hockey is a better brand over the course of the season the bantam AA. Yes, that is my opinion and it's based on facts and research. Don't get me started on these money making groups that exploit families with garbage claims of scouts and exposure under the guise of "Elite".

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Delano 9th grader Garrett Pinoniemi is KSTP's "TRIA Prep Athlete of the Week".

http://kstp.com/sports/tria-athlete-del ... ?cat=13000

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Gleason now leads a good CDH team in scoring, very impressive.

warmskin

Post by warmskin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 pm

what is the rush to play high school hockey?