I want to be the first to welcome Hermantown hockey to 7AA..

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

I want to be the first to welcome Hermantown hockey to 7AA..

Post by kniven » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:30 pm

....welcome to 7AA section playoffs and state tournament!!

First things first, it's not easy. But when you win here, there is nothing better.

rainier

Re: I want to be the first to welcome Hermantown hockey to 7

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:37 pm

kniven wrote:....welcome to 7AA section playoffs and state tournament!!

First things first, it's not easy. But when you win here, there is nothing better.
Congrats to the Hawks program for getting to the next level! Can't wait to see an East-Hermantown matchup. :D
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

Rocketwrister

Re: I want to be the first to welcome Hermantown hockey to 7

Post by Rocketwrister » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:18 pm

rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:....welcome to 7AA section playoffs and state tournament!!

Congrats to the Hawks program for getting to the next level! Can't wait to see an East-Hermantown matchup. :D
Link? Where is this stated?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:42 pm

It will be interesting to see who is moved out of 7AA, Andover or Elk River or both. Andover would be a better fit to move to 5AA but with some shuffling of other sections, particularly Section 2 where there are only 7 teams, both of them could end up in Metro sections. That would guarantee a Northern team would make the State tournament.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:59 pm

greenwayraider wrote:It will be interesting to see who is moved out of 7AA, Andover or Elk River or both. Andover would be a better fit to move to 5AA but with some shuffling of other sections, particularly Section 2 where there are only 7 teams, both of them could end up in Metro sections. That would guarantee a Northern team would make the State tournament.
Guarnteed??? When was the last time a southern team won it Karl?was it the Paul Marin team?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Looks like 1999 was the last time Elk River won Section 7AA.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:28 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Looks like 1999 was the last time Elk River won Section 7AA.
Are they the only interlopers since the old section 2 days?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Yes, Elk River is the only team to tarnish NE Minnesota teams trips to state. They were switched to 5AA in the 2000's and made two or three trips to state during that time. Then they were put back in Section 7AA and I think that happened around the time Greenway dropped to Single A. This is only based on my memory and that is not as good as it used to be at my age.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:02 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Yes, Elk River is the only team to tarnish NE Minnesota teams trips to state. They were switched to 5AA in the 2000's and made two or three trips to state during that time. Then they were put back in Section 7AA and I think that happened around the time Greenway dropped to Single A. This is only based on my memory and that is not as good as it used to be at my age.
I am ready to be done up there, maybe a little parting shot this year... TBD

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:02 pm

This isn't official, and there are a lot of rumors flying around.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Slammer wrote:This isn't official, and there are a lot of rumors flying around.
As much as I'd like to believe it, you're right. Don't believe it until the MSHSL approves it.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Slammy, even it happens it is anti-climatic. Think of the missed classics, there legacy is tarnished for waiting this long if they go. Did you see the tweet by Mark Parrish about H-town?

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
Slammy, even it happens it is anti-climatic. Think of the missed classics, there legacy is tarnished for waiting this long if they go. Did you see the tweet by Mark Parrish about H-town?
Better late than never - Plante won't be coaching with the big boys will he?

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:07 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
No. What did Mark tweet?

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm

kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
No. What did Mark tweet?
"He's scared he'll actually have to coach instead of easily defeating weaker programs at A level."

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 pm

east hockey wrote:
kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
No. What did Mark tweet?
"He's scared he'll actually have to coach instead of easily defeating weaker programs at A level."

Lee
Ah.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:30 pm

east hockey wrote:
kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
No. What did Mark tweet?

Lee
Ouch. That has to be one of the top put-downs ever posted.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
east hockey wrote:
kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
No. What did Mark tweet?

Lee
Legacy tarnished?
Really?
Sad if that is what people think.

The haters have their own agenda and they just happen to be from 7A teams mostly Hibbing, Proctor and Denfeld.

Hermantown moving to AA is a big decision and not taken lightly.

So, if Hermantown was your team and your town, when would you have moved them to AA?

You have the option every 2 years:

2006 Win vs Blake 4-3 3rd Place
2007 Win vs DM 4-1 Championship
Could have moved after beating DM.
Obviously no move.

2008 Didn't make state
2009 Didn't make state
Could have moved after not making state for 2 straight years.
Obviously no move.

2010 Lost vs Breck 2-1
2011 Lost vs STA 5-4 OT
Could have moved after losing to Breck and STA.
STA stayed in A.
Obviously no move.

2012 Lost vs STA 5-1
2013 Lost vs STA 5-4
Could have moved after losing to STA for the 3rd straight time.
STA moved up after 3 consecutive titles and 5 A Championship Titles.
Would you have move your team now, Really?

2014 Lost vs EGF 7-3
2015 Lost vs EGF 5-4 OT[/b]
Could have moved after losing to EGF for the second straight time.
Again, would you have moved your team now, really?

2016 Win vs Breck 5-0: Breck has 4 Class A Championship Titles!!
Where is the hate, tarnished reputation and call to move even with loss?
2017 ????? Option to move up this year….

In reality, Hermantown has been the only public school to keep the private from totally dominating Class A hockey.

In my opinion, if it was my team and my decision, this is the first year I would consider moving the team to AA and I would make the move. Unfortunately, there is just no competition left in 7A. Hermantown hasn’t gotten any better. I could argue that the teams that played STA would beat this year’s team. It for sure would be a game. The reality is that HT has been able to stay consistent in its play over the last 10 years, but the rest of 7A and I think hockey in general has dropped. Hermantown is a pocket that is strong. Beating EAST is something that people would laugh at in the past even when HT could have given them all they could handle back in the STA days. Now, I think people, and more importantly, Hermantown people see that the HAWKS might be able to knock East off it’s high horse. How sweet that would be…

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:54 pm

pekyman wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:
east hockey wrote:
kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
No. What did Mark tweet?

Lee
i

Legacy tarnished?
Really?
Sad if that is what people think.

The haters have their own agenda and they just happen to be from 7A teams mostly Hibbing, Proctor and Denfeld.

Hermantown moving to AA is a big decision and not taken lightly.

So, if Hermantown was your team and your town, when would you have moved them to AA?

You have the option every 2 years:

2006 Win vs Blake 4-3 3rd Place
2007 Win vs DM 4-1 Championship
Could have moved after beating DM.
Obviously no move.

2008 Didn't make state
2009 Didn't make state
Could have moved after not making state for 2 straight years.
Obviously no move.

2010 Lost vs Breck 2-1
2011 Lost vs STA 5-4 OT
Could have moved after losing to Breck and STA.
STA stayed in A.
Obviously no move.

2012 Lost vs STA 5-1
2013 Lost vs STA 5-4
Could have moved after losing to STA for the 3rd straight time.
STA moved up after 3 consecutive titles and 5 A Championship Titles.
Would you have move your team now, Really?

2014 Lost vs EGF 7-3
2015 Lost vs EGF 5-4 OT[/b]
Could have moved after losing to EGF for the second straight time.
Again, would you have moved your team now, really?

2016 Win vs Breck 5-0: Breck has 4 Class A Championship Titles!!
Where is the hate, tarnished reputation and call to move even with loss?
2017 ????? Option to move up this year….

In reality, Hermantown has been the only public school to keep the private from totally dominating Class A hockey.

In my opinion, if it was my team and my decision, this is the first year I would consider moving the team to AA and I would make the move. Unfortunately, there is just no competition left in 7A. Hermantown hasn’t gotten any better. I could argue that the teams that played STA would beat this year’s team. It for sure would be a game. The reality is that HT has been able to stay consistent in its play over the last 10 years, but the rest of 7A and I think hockey in general has dropped. Hermantown is a pocket that is strong. Beating EAST is something that people would laugh at in the past even when HT could have given them all they could handle back in the STA days. Now, I think people, and more importantly, Hermantown people see that the HAWKS might be able to knock East off it’s high horse. How sweet that would be…
All excellent points. I think Bruce Plante has been a fantastic coach. I tell him that every time I see him and shake his hand :)

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:48 am

Parrish has had some crazy tweets the last 48 hours.....comparing Wayzata to Delano based on population not school district size......

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:39 am

east hockey wrote:
kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
No. What did Mark tweet?

Lee
Can't argue with that.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 am

alcloseshaver wrote:
You're correct, it's completely tarnished and nobody has any respect for them. But they could rebuild it and people would forget halfway through next season if they opt up. If they don't, it's probably tarnished forever. I agree with everyone else in the State on that.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:04 am

Peky, No hate from me, just see it as a good hockey program, similar to Rapids and Bemidji who both play up in an attempt to play in one of the greatest high school sporting events in the country. They belong in AA.

JJ

Post by JJ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:54 am

Why doesn't Hermentown play Duluth East during the regular season?

FYI on Elk River...they were in section 8AA in mid 90's...one of the greatest games ever when Moorhead with Matt Cullen as a junior skating second line center topped the Elks in something like 4 ot's. Elk River was loaded that year with Hinote, and others. Spuds were better though...Just stacked...Ryan Kraft a future Gopher, Josh Arnold, many others. That Spuds team was the best high school team I ever saw in Minnesota at the time....they ended up losing to Jefferson in the title game and that Jefferson team is still my pick for greatest ever in the state.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:58 am

alcloseshaver wrote:Peky, No hate from me, just see it as a good hockey program, similar to Rapids and Bemidji who both play up in an attempt to play in one of the greatest high school sporting events in the country. They belong in AA.
I'm not 100 percent sure on this, but I don't believe Rapids opts up...I think they are AA with enrollment