7A Seedings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 am

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:I hope we opt up...not what I am hearing however.
I guess we better hold the phone then. Get ready to get ridiculed right off of the planet if they don't though. The respect for that program would go from 10% to 0%.

We may have to start a thread with the name of every kid who open enrolls there from the top two teams at every level. People would be shocked if they knew the actual number.
Why would you do that to kids? Open enrollment is not illegal or against the rules. Maybe you should start a protest and close Main St in Hermantown?

You can't have 30% of your hockey program made up of the top players from every program in the Duluth Metro, Iron Range and Ely and call yourself a Class A team. It's complete crap for all of the small town programs that are trying to build with their own kids.

You are right that we shouldn't do that to the kids though, I stand corrected on that. They have no control over their Parents chasing their dreams through them. If we do it we will list the Parent's names instead.
It is not against the MSHSL rules to open enroll! Because you don't agree with it, you are going to post names of players or parents? Would you be willing to post your name as the leader of this protest?
I have no beef with open enrollment, it was set up so parents could choose the best academic option for their kids. But when they're sending them to a Hockey Academy as soon as they stand out amongst their peers, enrollment becomes irrelevant as a measure of what class you are in. 90% of us know that. If they move to AA where they belong, we will all cheer them on like we do with every Northern Team. Until then, they're a complete fraud. STA and Marshall realized that. We'll find out in a couple weeks if Hermantown has that same integrity or not.
Respect for our program?!! Are you f'n kidding me? We are arguably the best program in the state.

You have "no beef" with open enrollment?!!!! You're killing me. It comes up every post you make!!

The only reason Marshall moved up was they knew the chances of winning 7AA and 7A was about equal. (Not very good) May as well be AA for recruitment purposes.
Don't pat yourself on the back too much Marty. You're always gonna be shining East's shoes.
Ironic coming from a Denfeld guy. Denfeld loses just about every skilled player in Duluth to East. Doesn't matter if they are in the Denfeld school district, if Randloph wants them, they end up at East. I personally know at least 5 top players that should have gone to Denfeld, but ended up at East. And that was just in the 2011-2013 years.Were talking all are in D1 and D3 Hockey now. Randolph may be a good coach, but he is pulling talent from one of, if not the largest talent pools in the state. Not just 60% of the Duluth kids, but close to 100% of the top ones. Duluth, population almost 90,000 with huge metro area that you all talk about. With that they East still recruits. Hmm. Exactly who is shining whose shoes? Where is you outrage with that? You can't even keep your own players in your own city in your own school district.
I've never had any affiliation with Denfeld, not sure where you got that. Hermantown pulls in way more kids than East could ever dream of. And East is in AA so wouldn't matter if they did. First class program, just like Cloquet, Rapids, Bemidji and Roseau. Maybe Hermantown will join them some day. We'll see.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 am

During the winter of 2003 or 2004 I remember attending a Bantam A game at Freezeberger between Duluth East & Hermantown. DE was led by Connolly & Fairchild, HT by Lablanc & Huttel. Great game, very competitive, 2 teams that played at least twice per season and accordingly didn't like each other. DE was slightly better, but it was close, HT was clearly in their league competitively. As Common Man would say, "That was 13-14 years ago," and HT was just as competitve with DE then, maybe more so, as GR or Cloquet was. The path of going to Class A State EVERY YEAR and making travel plans to do so in November...that's essentially the path HT has chosen since they WON class a state.. in 2007. Cloquet & GR chose a different path. And yes DE recruits...alert the media. A school and associated hockey community either wants to play for the BIG PRIZE or they dont. Teams like EGF & Little Falls are legitimate Single A schools... HT objectively...hasn't been for a decade. Hopefully those who determine these things come to their senses and HT opts up to where they belong next year...AA...I guess better late than never.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:15 pm

hockey59 wrote:During the winter of 2003 or 2004 I remember attending a Bantam A game at Freezeberger between Duluth East & Hermantown. DE was led by Connolly & Fairchild, HT by Lablanc & Huttel. Great game, very competitive, 2 teams that played at least twice per season and accordingly didn't like each other. DE was slightly better, but it was close, HT was clearly in their league competitively. As Common Man would say, "That was 13-14 years ago," and HT was just as competitve with DE then, maybe more so, as GR or Cloquet was. The path of going to Class A State EVERY YEAR and making travel plans to do so in November...that's essentially the path HT has chosen since they WON class a state.. in 2007. Cloquet & GR chose a different path. And yes DE recruits...alert the media. A school and associated hockey community either wants to play for the BIG PRIZE or they dont. Teams like EGF & Little Falls are legitimate Single A schools... HT objectively...hasn't been for a decade. Hopefully those who determine these things come to their senses and HT opts up to where they belong next year...AA...I guess better late than never.
That was the class that won state in 2007. Huge senior class with 14 seniors. That was a special group. Many blowouts happened after that year in PeeWees and Bantams. It was the norm up until recent years. To base Hermantown on that class would be like saying EGF will be as good as they were 2 years ago every year. EGF had a special group then as did HT in 2007 and everybody knew it.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:41 pm

hockey59 wrote:During the winter of 2003 or 2004 I remember attending a Bantam A game at Freezeberger between Duluth East & Hermantown. DE was led by Connolly & Fairchild, HT by Lablanc & Huttel. Great game, very competitive, 2 teams that played at least twice per season and accordingly didn't like each other. DE was slightly better, but it was close, HT was clearly in their league competitively. As Common Man would say, "That was 13-14 years ago," and HT was just as competitve with DE then, maybe more so, as GR or Cloquet was. The path of going to Class A State EVERY YEAR and making travel plans to do so in November...that's essentially the path HT has chosen since they WON class a state.. in 2007. Cloquet & GR chose a different path. And yes DE recruits...alert the media. A school and associated hockey community either wants to play for the BIG PRIZE or they dont. Teams like EGF & Little Falls are legitimate Single A schools... HT objectively...hasn't been for a decade. Hopefully those who determine these things come to their senses and HT opts up to where they belong next year...AA...I guess better late than never.
Spot on, you either have pride and integrity or you don't. Just glad that the rest of the programs at that level have it. That's what makes High School Hockey so special in Minnesota.

silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:29 pm

pekyman wrote:
That was the class that won state in 2007. Huge senior class with 14 seniors. That was a special group. Many blowouts happened after that year in PeeWees and Bantams. It was the norm up until recent years. To base Hermantown on that class would be like saying EGF will be as good as they were 2 years ago every year. EGF had a special group then as did HT in 2007 and everybody knew it.
I guess if one was so inclined they could base it on the 10 straight years in the championship game and maybe 2 losses to A team in 7 years, both in 12'-13' (may be wrong but that's what I got with quick look at hub).

Look your too good for A, it's obvious. Everyone loves to watch Hermantown ... against AA teams because everyone like to see good hockey with 2 evenly matched teams. It's why you don't play many A teams during regular season ... because your players, your coaches and your parents don't want to watch that.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:47 pm

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
I guess if one was so inclined they could base it on the 10 straight years in the championship game and maybe 2 losses to A team in 7 years, both in 12'-13' (may be wrong but that's what I got with quick look at hub).

Look your too good for A, it's obvious. Everyone loves to watch Hermantown ... against AA teams because everyone like to see good hockey with 2 evenly matched teams. It's why you don't play many A teams during regular season ... because your players, your coaches and your parents don't want to watch that.
I'm not advocating that they should stay in A. I have said several times and just in this thread that they should move up after this year and I hope they do. I just push back at all the disrespect, false statements and exagerations that are said on here. I just made the case that I think most people, given the history, would not have move this team to AA until after this year. I'm not associated with HT anymore, but I came through the youth program in 2004-2011 we had very competitive games with Hibbing and Virginia but almost never beat GR, Cloquet and especially East. Actually got pounded by them almost every time the 2 times a year we played. Remember the two times I think in 2010 we lost by 10 goals. Ask any Hermantown player from those years and they will recall get pounded by east and rare win against Cloquet or Rapids. That has started to change recently as this years seniors actually made it to state at the youth Bantan level, A event that seldom happens at HT. Go back and count the times a HT BN or PW team made state. You'll only need 1 hand. So to say that Hermantown should have jumped into AA back in those years I say easy to say when looking from the outside. A little different if you are from Hermantown. Jump into AA and just become more fodder for east to bang around is sections when Herm is a small A school. Times now have changed for a number of reasons that have been gone over too many times, but now I think the time is right. Also, I might add, Plante does an amazing thing with the boys when he gets them at the HS level. He is able to create teams that far surpass what was accomplished at the youth levels. He is a great coach and the boys love him. Whoever takes his place has some mighty big shoes to fill. It's too bad he get the crap on here that he does. You guys that talk about integrity and pride and Hermantown's lack of it can just go stick it where the sun don't shine.

'

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:06 pm

pekyman wrote:You guys that talk about integrity and pride and Hermantown's lack of it can just go stick it where the sun don't shine.
What is funny is that you don't understand why some people feel the way they do about Hermantown. And then you deliver a perfect example. Some people will read this and say "If this is indicative of Hermantown fans, then bleep them". Wonderful. :roll:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

rainier

Post by rainier » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm

pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote:

I'm not advocating that they should stay in A. I have said several times and just in this thread that they should move up after this year and I hope they do. I just push back at all the disrespect, false statements and exagerations that are said on here. I just made the case that I think most people, given the history, would not have move this team to AA until after this year. I'm not associated with HT anymore, but I came through the youth program in 2004-2011 we had very competitive games with Hibbing and Virginia but almost never beat GR, Cloquet and especially East. Actually got pounded by them almost every time the 2 times a year we played. Remember the two times I think in 2010 we lost by 10 goals. Ask any Hermantown player from those years and they will recall get pounded by east and rare win against Cloquet or Rapids. That has started to change recently as this years seniors actually made it to state at the youth Bantan level, A event that seldom happens at HT. Go back and count the times a HT BN or PW team made state. You'll only need 1 hand. So to say that Hermantown should have jumped into AA back in those years I say easy to say when looking from the outside. A little different if you are from Hermantown. Jump into AA and just become more fodder for east to bang around is sections when Herm is a small A school. Times now have changed for a number of reasons that have been gone over too many times, but now I think the time is right. Also, I might add, Plante does an amazing thing with the boys when he gets them at the HS level. He is able to create teams that far surpass what was accomplished at the youth levels. He is a great coach and the boys love him. Whoever takes his place has some mighty big shoes to fill. It's too bad he get the crap on here that he does. You guys that talk about integrity and pride and Hermantown's lack of it can just go stick it where the sun don't shine.

'
Yet another ridiculous statement, Peky. Hermantown plays a grueling AA schedule through youth, then when Plante takes over they step down and play A teams. Wow, the man must truly be a magician to succeed under those conditions. :D
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:51 pm

pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote:

I'm not advocating that they should stay in A. I have said several times and just in this thread that they should move up after this year and I hope they do. I just push back at all the disrespect, false statements and exagerations that are said on here. I just made the case that I think most people, given the history, would not have move this team to AA until after this year. I'm not associated with HT anymore, but I came through the youth program in 2004-2011 we had very competitive games with Hibbing and Virginia but almost never beat GR, Cloquet and especially Actually East. got pounded by them almost every time the 2 times a year we played. Remember the two times I think in 2010 we lost by 10 goals. Ask any Hermantown player from those years and they will recall get pounded by east and rare win against Cloquet or Rapids. That has started to change recently as this years seniors actually made it to state at the youth Bantan level, A event that seldom happens at HT. Go back and count the times a HT BN or PW team made state. You'll only need 1 hand. So to say that Hermantown should have jumped into AA back in those years I say easy to say when looking from the outside. A little different if you are from Hermantown. Jump into AA and just become more fodder for east to bang around is sections when Herm is a small A school. Times now have changed for a number of reasons that have been gone over too many times, but now I think the time is right. Also, I might add, Plante does an amazing thing with the boys when he gets them at the HS level. He is able to create teams that far surpass what was accomplished at the youth levels. He is a great coach and the boys love him. Whoever takes his place has some mighty big shoes to fill. It's too bad he get the crap on here that he does. You guys that talk about integrity and pride and Hermantown's lack of it can just go stick it where the sun don't shine.

'
So did you feel for all those teams, the fodder you've pounded in sections and state the last 10 years. You and coach Plante seem pretty smart, I'm guessing you knew that, despite all those "tough" years in youth your HS team would be pretty good.

Oh yeah and stay classy :)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm

east hockey wrote:
pekyman wrote:You guys that talk about integrity and pride and Hermantown's lack of it can just go stick it where the sun don't shine.
What is funny is that you don't understand why some people feel the way they do about Hermantown. And then you deliver a perfect example. Some people will read this and say "If this is indicative of Hermantown fans, then bleep them". Wonderful. :roll:

Lee
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Perky wouldn't be Hermantown's first choice as Ambassador for their Program. 😀

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:55 am

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks for posting this. Several interesting quotes in the article. Among them:

From Hibbing coach Justin Tomberlin:
"They're single-A because that's where their enrollments puts them," he said. "They don't need to go anywhere. We need to get better."

And from Bruce Plante:
"We'll look at it this year again and see what we're going to do," Plante said. "The time for us to go up probably was two years ago, and we didn't do it. It's a tough call. We get a lot of people outside Hermantown that think we should be up."

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:42 am

I found Plante's quote the most revealing. If anyone still thinks Hermantown will be moving up, I think they are fooling themselves. I don't see that happening with Plante having any say in it. Even if he does retire I think there is a mindset that will be very difficult to change.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am

Duluthguy wrote:

"They're single-A because that's where their enrollments puts them," he said. "They don't need to go anywhere. We need to get better."

And from Bruce Plante:
"We'll look at it this year again and see what we're going to do," Plante said. "The time for us to go up probably was two years ago, and we didn't do it. It's a tough call. We get a lot of people outside Hermantown that think we should be up."
I like Tomberlin's attitude. All he has to do is get all of the top Free Agents from Duluth, Proctor, Ely and North Shore to go to Hibbing instead of Hermantown and they will get better.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:02 am

Duluthguy wrote:

And from Bruce Plante:
I interpret Plante's quote as essentially acknowledging (that two years past due), it is TIME for HT to move up (after this season). I mean the article references the heat they are receiving as of today. When they win another single a title in a few weeks, if they follow that up by staying in A for another 2 years, they will be OBLITERATED by the HEAT they'll find themselves being on the receiving end of.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am

Duluthguy wrote:

And from Bruce Plante:
While I agree with Tomberlin 100%, people should realize 7A hockey is doing well as it is. Hibbing is a top ten team, and that's despite losing a Mr. Hockey candidate to USHL and a top goalie to the NTDP. Greenway is a top ten team that just beat SPA and their bantam team is #1 in A right now. Virginia will be top ten for the next two seasons. Eveleth is greatly improved and their bantam team is top ten in A right now.

Good things are happening with Iron Range hockey, and there will be an even bigger boost to it when teams start having a real shot at state.

Sounds to me like Hermantown will make the move. The hard part is convincing parents who have already booked their tourney tickets years in advance.
:D
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am

greenwayraider wrote:I found Plante's quote the most revealing. If anyone still thinks Hermantown will be moving up, I think they are fooling themselves. I don't see that happening with Plante having any say in it. Even if he does retire I think there is a mindset that will be very difficult to change.
I just spent the last couple of hours on the internet sizing up Cloquets AA competition the last 4-6 years in PeeWee AA and Bantam AA at the state tournament for these teams. I find it interesting that I see Hermantown participating in these AA state tournaments for youth AA hockey and yet participate in A state tournaments in high school. I always knew this, but to actually see it on the internet in print really makes a person wonder. How many other programs the last 10 years have done this? Is it common to do it this way for a hockey youth and same high school program?

I just feel bad that I spend more time defending Hermantown hockey instead of talking about how great their hockey program is to my Metro friends...

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:I hope we opt up...not what I am hearing however.
I guess we better hold the phone then. Get ready to get ridiculed right off of the planet if they don't though. The respect for that program would go from 10% to 0%.

We may have to start a thread with the name of every kid who open enrolls there from the top two teams at every level. People would be shocked if they knew the actual number.
Why would you do that to kids? Open enrollment is not illegal or against the rules. Maybe you should start a protest and close Main St in Hermantown?

You can't have 30% of your hockey program made up of the top players from every program in the Duluth Metro, Iron Range and Ely and call yourself a Class A team. It's complete crap for all of the small town programs that are trying to build with their own kids.

You are right that we shouldn't do that to the kids though, I stand corrected on that. They have no control over their Parents chasing their dreams through them. If we do it we will list the Parent's names instead.
It is not against the MSHSL rules to open enroll! Because you don't agree with it, you are going to post names of players or parents? Would you be willing to post your name as the leader of this protest?
I have no beef with open enrollment, it was set up so parents could choose the best academic option for their kids. But when they're sending them to a Hockey Academy as soon as they stand out amongst their peers, enrollment becomes irrelevant as a measure of what class you are in. 90% of us know that. If they move to AA where they belong, we will all cheer them on like we do with every Northern Team. Until then, they're a complete fraud. STA and Marshall realized that. We'll find out in a couple weeks if Hermantown has that same integrity or not.
Respect for our program?!! Are you f'n kidding me? We are arguably the best program in the state.

You have "no beef" with open enrollment?!!!! You're killing me. It comes up every post you make!!

The only reason Marshall moved up was they knew the chances of winning 7AA and 7A was about equal. (Not very good) May as well be AA for recruitment purposes.
Don't pat yourself on the back too much Marty. You're always gonna be shining East's shoes.
Swing and a miss...nice try!