Section 3A 2016-2017

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:40 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
fastncrash wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:Just in case coach Telecky needs a geography lesson.

Snark aside, why does he refuse to play in Luverne? I get they like the term"battle tested" at this time of year, but that's just code word for getting your teeth kicked in all but 5-8 times a year. Luverne has been the 1 seed five years in a row, and the most recent match ups have been really tilted heavily in favor of the Cards.

Can anyone shine some light on this? Hutch to state you still out there?
Better yet, why let a team qualify through a section they basically play no games in?
Because the bottom of the section has Worthington, Windom, Fairmont, and Morris/Benson. No offense to those programs who are certainly doing the best they can, but Hutch is needed in the section to add a little more merit to it, 6 wins or not. I can assure you they would have a similar number of wins compared to Luverne if they played big south opponents twice a year instead of the wright county conference opponents they are currently facing. In case you haven't noticed playing 3A section games clearly doesn't prepare you for what's coming when you get to state.

Now Luverne is the better team and not many are going to argue that, but I can't imagine the current Hutch players got worse this year from playing some elite competition instead of traveling down I-90 and beating big south teams by double digits.
Great point, however, I'm not asking them to play the bottom of the section. I'm wondering why he won't play the top of the section. They currently play willmar, redwood, Windom! Why not Luverne? This clearly isn't hurting Luverne so I guess I should just let it be.
With all respect to the city of Luverne... Do you really blame him? That's a hike for Hutch. They play the Section 3A teams close by and play different section teams that are some what close.

Even if they traveled down and played Luverne this year I don't think anything was changing yesterday. I can 100% see where Hutch is coming from and I don't think it's any disrespect to Luverne, but that's along way to travel when they have local teams of similar and much better talent they can play with minimal travel.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:03 pm

True, why drive 3 hours to get stomped in (battle tested) when you can do it in your backyard.

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:05 pm

The only way the Cards don't roll tomorrow is if the bus breaks down!!

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Whiner33 wrote:The only way the Cards don't roll tomorrow is if the bus breaks down!!
Agreed.

rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Roll Cards Roll prediction:

TICK TOCK!

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:30 am

notTONIGHT wrote:True, why drive 3 hours to get stomped in (battle tested) when you can do it in your backyard.
What do I know from behind a keyboard, but it looks like you "stomped" the team that finished dead last in the wright county with an empty net goal.

computerguy

3a

Post by computerguy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:47 am

Whiner33 wrote:The only way the Cards don't roll tomorrow is if the bus breaks down!!
Unfortunately comments like this are a major reason the cards continue to fall on their face in the finals. Someone said the cards have been the #1 seed for 5 years in a row. How has that #1 seed worked out for them??? I do believe that they should win but if history repeats itself they won't......Now on to why Telecky won't play you.....I don't know why but have to believe it's the 3 hour drive(just a guess).

better late

Post by better late » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:08 am

5 times includes this year. If they win, 2 out of 5, not good but maybe not awful given how hockey sometimes goes. If they lose , 1 out of 5, awful!! Big game tonight. It will be tough as section finals usually are.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:13 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:True, why drive 3 hours to get stomped in (battle tested) when you can do it in your backyard.
What do I know from behind a keyboard, but it looks like you "stomped" the team that finished dead last in the wright county with an empty net goal.
It definitely was not a stomping by any means necessary. The first 2 periods Hutch had better scoring chances. Luverne just seemed to be more conditioned towards the end. 1 missed icing call directly lead to the pressure and the third goal as well. So stomping would definitely not be a correct description of how the game was played Monday. Luverne beat them by 2 goals (1 ENG), I would say that's how it should be described.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:45 am

Everything tightens up in the playoffs. Especially in a final game. If Luverne gets saves like they did Monday night, they should be ok. The Sooner will be important to slow. He scored twice in the first few minutes in the last meeting, then Luverne scored five unanswered. The ghost of GAC shows it's head in different ways every year. If Luverne stays out of the box and spreads the puck around I'd have to say it's over.
I predict a 6-3 final.

Roll Cards Roll

notTONIGHT

Re: 3a

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 am

computerguy wrote:
Unfortunately comments like this are a major reason the cards continue to fall on their face in the finals.
Internet forum comments are the reason high school boys lose hockey games??? C'mon guy.

fastncrash

Post by fastncrash » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:03 am

notTONIGHT wrote:Everything tightens up in the playoffs. Especially in a final game. If Luverne gets saves like they did Monday night, they should be ok. The Sooner will be important to slow. He scored twice in the first few minutes in the last meeting, then Luverne scored five unanswered. The ghost of GAC shows it's head in different ways every year. If Luverne stays out of the box and spreads the puck around I'd have to say it's over.
I predict a 6-3 final.

Roll Cards Roll
My guess is 4-0. Doubt anyone will be sleeping tonight.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 pm

In the first meeting, shots were 35-17. Penalties pretty even, 8 infractions to 9

The second meeting shots were 37-22. Significantly less penalties. 2 -3 there.

On paper this shouldn't be close. But it will be. It always gets closer.

I see the Marshal studentl section is dressing up with a "champions" theme. With awards, and medals, and pendants and the whole thing. Should be pretty neat.

This is that Wednesday game where Luverne needs some saves. Been saying all year it's the one that matters.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Game on

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:38 pm

2-1 after two Cardinals

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:10 pm

4-1 with 7 minutes left.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 pm

The wheels stayed on the bus! Congratulations Dr. Phil and boys!

Thegoldenjet

Re: 3a

Post by Thegoldenjet » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:16 am

notTONIGHT wrote:
computerguy wrote:
Unfortunately comments like this are a major reason the cards continue to fall on their face in the finals.
Internet forum comments are the reason high school boys lose hockey games??? C'mon guy.

No, but the attitude behind them from an elder in the community may have something to do with it.

And I understand, and for the most part can agree, I may paint too broad a picture from the implications of jest and fun on a forum, I guess I can't help it, for better and worse.

It may not be the reason, but it sure has fueled the fire for a collective pull against the community. Something I believe I've eluded to in the past trying to avoid, personally, because the small town story would be good enough if left to bear its fruit, without the salesmanship. Keyboard bravado revealing insecurity, and unwarranted insecurity if not for seemingly begging, certainly encouraging, someone to rise to the occasion and say 'okay, we heard you, be quiet now'.

And to my point, sadly so because when the outsiders you so longingly wish to be accepted by come here to tell you you're not, neighbors who may have fought with you, would rather watch you get punched in the mouth.

That said, nobody did that this year, maybe no one could I'll say first, the fact that there was less noise?..., well, up for debate, there are no facts, just interpretations.

Congratulations to Luverne, the boys first, Phil and crew next, and the community as it encompasses them. I should take my above energy and put it into complimenting Phil and the job he has done, and make sure my respect for him and his team comes through.

Had the group, the will, and the execution. Relish it, as it was earned and deserved. Represent us well. I'll be pulling for ya.

More than ever these days I am trying my best not to be petty and petty in spite for those I may not see eye to eye with.

I'll be pullin for 3A, one squad goes, represent us well.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:12 am

Hear that whiner??? You're an elder!

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:28 am

notTONIGHT wrote:Hear that whiner??? You're an elder!
Thrilling

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Just as Jet sways some to see Cinderella in all her sparkling wonder, the ugly sisters throw soot on her gown to make us realize at the core of it, she's just a dirty stepchild.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:29 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:Just as Jet sways some to see Cinderella in all her sparkling wonder, the ugly sisters throw soot on her gown to make us realize at the core of it, she's just a dirty stepchild.
:lol:

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Is the smear campaign over or should we keep going?

Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:25 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:Is the smear campaign over or should we keep going?
Let's keep going. Which one of these beauties is Toni and which one is Whiner?

Last edited by Corn Cobb on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.