Class AA QF: Lakeville South vs. #2 St. Thomas Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Cougars
28%
Cadets
72%

Total votes: 29

Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Damn. I'd say the Cougars are the new favorites. They're playing the system perfectly.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Impressive game by South. Out-muscled the Cadets for much of the game.
green4

Post by green4 »

South wins 5-2

What a turn the game took. The first 14 minutes of the game I thought STA looked really good and outside of Danny Ryan nobody was really talking about them to win it. They certainly looked good enough at the start of the period. After that South stepped up and I was impressed. They have a good goalie, Checco is solid, Olson, Ess solid guys, but I was really impressed by te role players. #3, 8, 34,36 all played great and just wore down the cadets. As the game went on STA seemed to rely on more individual plays, as Lou pointed out, trying to skate through everyone instead of passing it. South clogged it up too much for that type of play.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

alcloseshaver wrote:How about when the kid passes it to you on the 2 on 0 for the EN you go celebrate with him not run around like you sniped it.
Was thinking the same thing.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

thestickler07 wrote:Hats off to Lakeville South - capitalized very well on the opportunities they had and won convincingly.

That blue line save was a great play.
Very nice win by LVS!!! And as far as STA goes...the 2 years they've made the BIG Stage...it's clear their run and gun offensive style just doesn't translate well to the AA State Tourney.
Last edited by hockey59 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

36 for south can MOVE. pest all game.
green4

Post by green4 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:How about when the kid passes it to you on the 2 on 0 for the EN you go celebrate with him not run around like you sniped it.
Didn't he go celebrate with the goalie?
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

green4 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
While show boating the whole way down. It's just not a good look on an EN goal that you were given from a teammate. I wouldn't have probably said anything if no one else did but it's the same thing I was thinking.

Definitely not a big deal at all was just agreeing with what I saw.
deacon

Post by deacon »

hockey59 wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:Hats off to Lakeville South - capitalized very well on the opportunities they had and won convincingly.

Very nice win by LVS!!! And as far as STA goes...the 2 years they've made the BIG Stage...it's clear their run and gun offensive style just doesn't translate well to the AA State Tourney.
I don't really agree with this. Their defense has been good all year, allowing less than two goals a game while playing top AA competition. Sometimes you just lose and two games isn't exactly a good sample size.

The thing that is frustrating and has been frustrating for many years, as a graduate and fan of STA, is the sense of complacency.
deacon

Post by deacon »

With 8 sophomores on the team, they're going to be back in the next couple of years.
green4

Post by green4 »

deacon wrote:With 8 sophomores on the team, they're going to be back in the next couple of years.
Especially playing in 3AA
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

GoldyGopher wrote:
green4 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: Was thinking the same thing.
While show boating the whole way down. It's just not a good look on an EN goal that you were given from a teammate. I wouldn't have probably said anything if no one else did but it's the same thing I was thinking.

Definitely not a big deal at all was just agreeing with what I saw.
Not a big deal, just would be refreshing to see less self gratification. Loved the pass, one of the best things to see.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

deacon wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

I don't really agree with this. Their defense has been good all year, allowing less than two goals a game while playing top AA competition. Sometimes you just lose and two games isn't exactly a good sample size.

The thing that is frustrating and has been frustrating for many years, as a graduate and fan of STA, is the sense of complacency.
At least STA plays on the Big Stage....unlike their former foil Hermantown. Got to give props to STA for that. Just thought they'd play better today, but LVS played better, that's hockey.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

hockey59 wrote:
deacon wrote:
hockey59 wrote: Very nice win by LVS!!! And as far as STA goes...the 2 years they've made the BIG Stage...it's clear their run and gun offensive style just doesn't translate well to the AA State Tourney.

At least STA plays on the Big Stage....unlike their former foil Hermantown. Got to give props to STA for that. Just thought they'd play better today, but LVS played better, that's hockey.
Careful not to get the Hawk faithful and Jeffy going. This may be one of the only active threads where that isn't being argued in some way.

:lol:
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Ya, us old timers don't get this whole celly thing. It was the first thing that popped in my head. To be fair, we've been seeing this for years and I certainly don't blame the kid because even at the youth level you see some crazy stuff after goals. The kid from Northfield did the bazooka thing yesterday! I always liked the Bud Grant rule.....you get 1 spike in your Viking career...use it wisely!
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

HSPuckFan wrote:Is the Checco kid related to Nick Checco?Son?Nephew?
Hub article says cousin. http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760