Hermantown Offically Moving Up to AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Slammer

Hermantown Offically Moving Up to AA

Post by Slammer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Me and another forum member saw the papers. Contacted board member to confirm. Athletic director caved to public pressure. Will be joining 7AA with East and Rapids.

Hockey universe rejoices!

jeffpv

Post by jeffpv » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:37 pm

D'oh, and I just put $50 in Vegas on them making a dozen Class A finals in a row :(

Wet Paint

Re: Hermantown Offically Moving Up to AA

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Slammer wrote:Me and another forum member saw the papers. Contacted board member to confirm. Athletic director caved to public pressure. Will be joining 7AA with East and Rapids.

If that is true then hockey up north just got way more interesting. Can't wait for those Hermantown Duluth East battles that are coming down the road.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Slammer wrote:Me and another forum member saw the papers. Contacted board member to confirm. Athletic director caved to public pressure. Will be joining 7AA with East and Rapids.

.....and Cloquet :).

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:53 pm

I'll actually believe this to be true...when I hear it from the Plante's mouth!

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm

I really hope it's true. This would usher in an exciting new era for Northern Hockey. East, Rapids and Cloquet have great groups coming up and Marshall will always get some talent. This is going to make for some Awesome rivalries and a great Section. Hermantown/East just became an instant Classic.

My only fear is that if they don't make it to State over the next two years they will drop back down. Their PeeWee and Squirt groups are both top 5 in the entire State so those are the kids I'm most excited to see in AA someday. If true, I really hope this is permanent.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:56 pm

You're going to see many A programs strengthen now in the northland! Now there's a pulse!

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 pm

So what team is everyone going to jump on to opt up next? We all better get on the same page. MAML?

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm

warriors41 wrote:So what team is everyone going to jump on to opt up next? We all better get on the same page. MAML?
The next one to go to the finals in state at A level for 10 years in a row for starters.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:01 pm

warriors41 wrote:So what team is everyone going to jump on to opt up next? We all better get on the same page. MAML?
Que the "Breck (and all privates) should be AA threads...

TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Breck and MAML are definitely front-runners

SCC now that it's 2-0 :shock:

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:03 pm

If Cathedral wins, they clearly have to move up. :roll:
The U invented swagger.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Wet Paint wrote:
The next one to go to the finals in state at A level for 10 years in a row for starters.
Just a thought but perhaps Hermantown wouldn't have made all those consecutive championship games if people didn't put pressure on every A team to opt up whenever they enjoy a modicum of success at that level.

How much different would the Class A tournament look if teams stayed put where they are suppose to be? Hernamtown wouldn't have made all those championship game if that was the case. Heck they might not have made it past Grand Rapids to even get to state. A LOT of people on this forum play this game where if a Class A team is good they should opt up and "play with the big boys", "win the real trophy", or "move on from the JV tournament." Insert whatever condescending joke you want here, we've all seen it. And then when a lot of the good programs leave those same people complain about a poorer quality of play without realizing they are to blame. And make no mistake, any perceived lack of quality in Class A is their fault. It's not the Bruce Plante's, STA's, or Breck's.

When MN decided to go to the two class system we had an opportunity to enjoy two tournaments filled with double the amount of high quality hockey teams than we had in the single tournament format. Now that's wasted.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:14 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:
Just a thought but perhaps Hermantown wouldn't have made all those consecutive championship games if people didn't put pressure on every A team to opt up whenever they enjoy a modicum of success at that level.

How much different would the Class A tournament look if teams stayed put where they are suppose to be? Hernamtown wouldn't have made all those championship game if that was the case. Heck they might not have made it past Grand Rapids to even get to state. A LOT of people on this forum play this game where if a Class A team is good they should opt up and "play with the big boys", "win the real trophy", or "move on from the JV tournament." Insert whatever condescending joke you want here, we've all seen it. And then when a lot of the good programs leave those same people complain about a poorer quality of play without realizing they are to blame. And make no mistake, any perceived lack of quality in Class A is their fault. It's not the Bruce Plante's, STA's, or Breck's.

When MN decided to go to the two class system we had an opportunity to enjoy two tournaments filled with double the amount of high quality hockey teams than we had in the single tournament format. Now that's wasted.
If anyone on this bored is to blame for schools choosing to opt up, there are much larger issues going on.
The U invented swagger.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:20 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:

That isn't why they added an A tournament. If it was, they wouldn't allow opt ups. And STA is the only one who has opted up. The rest opted up from the start.

defense

Post by defense » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:

That isn't why they added an A tournament. If it was, they wouldn't allow opt ups. And STA is the only one who has opted up. The rest opted up from the start.
See Benidle St. Margerats, Duluth Marshal, Hibbing, Greenway, Roseau. Just off top of my head.

St. Thomas Academy has actually straightened me out a bit on this opt up and class A vs Class AA quality argument. They have nothing left to do at the A level so they move to AA to dominate as well. I don't think I expected them to dominate, but the way people went on about them possibly being the best team in the state etc when they were smoking the A tourney, I expected them to Cary their momentum to a championship game appearance anyway. Not the luck they have had. I wanted them to do good to prove that the a torment is closed to the AA than people believe. I guess they offer me little evidence to that theory which is ok. They are as close to a comparison as we will get, moving when they were on a surge in talent and power. Benidle proved the same I guess. I am not trying to downplay what they have done, two state tourneys and a section final right?? That's awesome for anyone, but they didn't just walk in and impose their will either. So I am a convert. True, some class a programs are of AA quality, true some A programs put out teams who could compete with the AA teams. But the gap in depth of both teams and personal on the teams is big enough that the class A tourney is a lesser tourney. Plain truth. I will still cheer my old team on the class a tournament, but I won't get big dreams of them really competing in the AA unless they truly are a special team.
Uust ranting.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:

I know for a fact that Roseau did not compete in AA from the start. And I'm also pretty sure Benilde St. Margaret's won a class A tournament and now they play AA, although maybe their enrollment grew. Bemidji just made the decision to opt up just in the last 5-8 years or so. Those are just teams off the top of my head.

As to your other point, the MSHSL also did not intend for the Class A to be a training ground for Class AA. They started the two class system to grow the game. I have no doubt that a town like Luverne wouldn't have grown it's program like it has without the two class system. But surely the didn't want to water down the talent pool in Class A by guilt tripping food programs to opt up. It was a still a compelling David vs Goliath match up between Luverne and H-town on Wednesday.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:06 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:

I know for a fact that Roseau did not compete in AA from the start. And I'm also pretty sure Benilde St. Margaret's won a class A tournament and now they play AA, although maybe their enrollment grew. Bemidji just made the decision to opt up just in the last 5-8 years or so. Those are just teams off the top of my head.

As to your other point, the MSHSL also did not intend for the Class A to be a training ground for Class AA. They started the two class system to grow the game. I have no doubt that a town like Luverne wouldn't have grown it's program like it has without the two class system. But surely the didn't want to water down the talent pool in Class A by guilt tripping food programs to opt up. It was a still a compelling David vs Goliath match up between Luverne and H-town on Wednesday.
Forgot about Benilde. I doubt anyone pressured Roseau, Bemidji, Hibbing Cloquet, Rapids or Greenway to move up though. Those are very proud programs that want to compete in AA if at all possible.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:10 am

Well I see Blake is moving to AA.

sparty

Post by sparty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:03 am

I would propose the 5-win Class A title rule as an automatic opt-up to AA. STA won 5 Class A titles...they opted up. Breck has 4. One more title...should be an automatic opt-up. Warroad also has 4. Hermantown is sitting at 2, possibly 3 after tomorrow. I don't agree with them moving up yet. Give kudos to Benilde who won 2 Class A titles, opted up and won a AA title. Nicely done. Just saying...if you win 5 Class A titles, mandatory move up to AA should be a rule.

sparty

Post by sparty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:19 am

Plus...so many weak programs have been placed in AA and they can't even compete due to enrollment rules. Schools that have no business being in AA hockey are: Dodge County, Irondale, N. St. Paul, Coon Rapids, St. Francis...

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:47 am

I'll believe it when I see it. There's been so many back and forth rumors, who knows what to believe anymore. Until then, they're sandbaggers and trophy chasers.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:52 am

Wet Paint wrote:

If that is true then hockey up north just got way more interesting. Can't wait for those Hermantown Duluth East battles that are coming down the road.
True or not, gotta love how the northern schools embrace the competition. 7AA would be absolutely stacked with Hermantown, DM, East, Rapids, and ER. Not to mention Cloquet and Andover with their best classes in quite some time coming through in the next few years. Put 2 or 3 top west metro schools in the same section and they cry foul.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Just saID ON kFAN.... Herm NOT moving up !!!!

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Just saID ON kFAN.... Herm NOT moving up !!!!
Hmm. Not what I've seen. I'd expect an announcement tomorrow morning.