Casey Mittelstadt crying after loss to Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Casey Mittelstadt crying after loss to Grand Rapids

Post by hermantown2000 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Looked like Mittelstadt didn't take the Grand Rapids loss to well. Channel 45 shower him on the bench crying and balling his eyes out. Very unfortunate he won't finish his high school career with a championship.

grindiangrad-80

Re: Casey Mittelstadt crying after loss to Grand Rapids

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 am

hermantown2000 wrote:Looked like Mittelstadt didn't take the Grand Rapids loss to well. Channel 45 shower him on the bench crying and balling his eyes out. Very unfortunate he won't finish his high school career with a championship.
Why would you say that?

kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:03 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
hermantown2000 wrote:Looked like Mittelstadt didn't take the Grand Rapids loss to well. Channel 45 shower him on the bench crying and balling his eyes out. Very unfortunate he won't finish his high school career with a championship.
Why would you say that?
I knew there was a reason I was cheering against Hermantown...

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 am

He gets a pass, played with buddies. Lot's of great players didn't win a title.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:18 am

C'mon, really? That's what the state tournament means to him. He's a competitor and passionate about the game of hockey.

hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:18 am

I was not trying to be critical of Mittelstadt. Any player will cry after their last high school game.Its the natural reaction after a heartbreaking loss. I am just saying it is disappointing that such a great player(and likely Mr. Hockey?) won't win a championship. Remember Avery Peterson? He won the Mr Hockey award but never even got to the state tournament.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:21 am

hermantown2000 wrote:I was not trying to be critical of Mittelstadt. Any player will cry after their last high school game.Its the natural reaction after a heartbreaking loss. I am just saying it is disappointing that such a great player(and likely Mr. Hockey?) won't win a championship. Remember Avery Peterson? He won the Mr Hockey award but never even got to the state tournament.
There have been NHL players that never got to the state tournament.

dsidle

Post by dsidle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:35 am

Nobody in the Minnesota hockey community should ever criticize this kid, hes a class act and further more paved the way for more players of his caliber to stick around and finish their high school careers. If you dont believe me go watch the Dream.State show on FSN. I was rooting hard for him.

sparty

Post by sparty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:49 am

Word on the street is he's dealing with a nagging ankle injury. He tried hard.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:56 am

Obviously this game and season meant a lot to Casey. Understandable he would show emotion on his final high school hooray with nothing but the highest of expectations surrounding him all year. The "once a generation" player didn't get the big trophy. It really points out that this is a team game.
I don't really feel bad for him because this will not define him. It stings now but he has a very bright future. I guarantee he will never look back and regret his decision to play his senior year with his buddies. That's what high school hockey is all about.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:15 am

If it didn't hurt so much to lose it wouldn't mean what it does to win. Congratulations on a great HS career.
Be kind. Rewind.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:25 am

Congrats to a great hockey player, great young man and a great team!

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 am

Studs cry too.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:14 am

sparty wrote:Word on the street is he's dealing with a nagging ankle injury. He tried hard.
He hasn't been the same, explosive speed wise, since he got railed against the boards after their 1st goal against Holy Family.

His hands & puck handling have still been there, but your word on the street seems plausible to me.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:28 am

Casey's brother, John, is playing at the Bantam level in EP. We may not be done hearing about the Mittelstadt name just yet at the high school level.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:13 am

And Johnny has a little brother as well. Part 3 ??

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:45 am

Neal Broten won literally everything a MN hockey player could dream of winning - except a state title, but he credits his time playing with his buddies and brothers at Roseau as his favorite times playing hockey. Casey has as bright a future as anyone we've seen in a long time as HS hockey fans and we should hope more high end kids follow his example and stay home, play with your best friends, graduate HS with the kids you've known your whole life, and work your tail off to try to win the tourney. CM put his heart and soul into that game last night (along with his teammates) and came up just short on a lifelong goal - to win a championship WITH his teammates. So the kid cried, that shows how much this game and HS hockey means to him, a kid who everybody expects to move on to the highest levels of hockey. I applaud CM and his EP teammates (and GR players) for an extremely entertaining high school hockey game.

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:01 am

I commend him for sticking around with his buddies to try and win a HS State Championship, but I think (EP) arrogance and entitlement played a bigger part in it than anyone wants to admit. In addition, coaching at EP is suspect. EP is one of the largest high schools and youth hockey programs in the state with one or two NHL draft picks every year and has won only 2 championships (thanks to Kyle Rau and Nick Leddy)in 24 years. Will someone tell this guy that he has 4 lines that he can play. Imagine if Pat O'Leary was the coach at EP? Most likely 3 or 4 State Championships in a row.

woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:04 am

gopherpuck516 wrote:Neal Broten won literally everything a MN hockey player could dream of winning - except a state title, but he credits his time playing with his buddies and brothers at Roseau as his favorite times playing hockey. Casey has as bright a future as anyone we've seen in a long time as HS hockey fans and we should hope more high end kids follow his example and stay home, play with your best friends, graduate HS with the kids you've known your whole life, and work your tail off to try to win the tourney. CM put his heart and soul into that game last night (along with his teammates) and came up just short on a lifelong goal - to win a championship WITH his teammates. So the kid cried, that shows how much this game and HS hockey means to him, a kid who everybody expects to move on to the highest levels of hockey. I applaud CM and his EP teammates (and GR players) for an extremely entertaining high school hockey game.

=D> =D> =D> Well said!

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:06 am

gopherpuck516 wrote:Neal Broten won literally everything a MN hockey player could dream of winning - except a state title, but he credits his time playing with his buddies and brothers at Roseau as his favorite times playing hockey. Casey has as bright a future as anyone we've seen in a long time as HS hockey fans and we should hope more high end kids follow his example and stay home, play with your best friends, graduate HS with the kids you've known your whole life, and work your tail off to try to win the tourney. CM put his heart and soul into that game last night (along with his teammates) and came up just short on a lifelong goal - to win a championship WITH his teammates. So the kid cried, that shows how much this game and HS hockey means to him, a kid who everybody expects to move on to the highest levels of hockey. I applaud CM and his EP teammates (and GR players) for an extremely entertaining high school hockey game.
CM is a great hockey player! Too many of em leave high school hockey early and regret it. I've seen his 2 bros on EP Bantam AA team in action. The definitely can play puck. Good things for CM in his hockey future. Oh. Seeing those EP boys emotional on the bench after the game.....tells a person all they need to know about Minnesota high school hockey 🏒

wogggieee

Post by wogggieee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 am

Kids do this on every team after a loss at the tournament. Why is this even a topic of discussion?

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:27 am

dsidle wrote:Nobody in the Minnesota hockey community should ever criticize this kid, hes a class act and further more paved the way for more players of his caliber to stick around and finish their high school careers. If you dont believe me go watch the Dream.State show on FSN. I was rooting hard for him.
I remember about 10 years or so when Duluth Marshall was there and it seemed like the picture of Rob Bordsen was in every newspaper pic, highlight and all over the place. And he was getting harrassed and made fun of for it... Pretty sick bashing someone for having their emotions come out in front of 100,000+ people

kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:38 am

wogggieee wrote:
Kids do this on every team after a loss at the tournament. Why is this even a topic of discussion?

I mean, seriously, how can you say anything but good things about this kid?

https://twitter.com/cmittelstadt/status ... 2895388672

deacon

Post by deacon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 am

Remember when those Hermantown kids were crying after losing to STA every year? Good times.