Class A semifinal: Hermantown vs St Cloud Cathedral

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

north_bear

Class A semifinal: Hermantown vs St Cloud Cathedral

Post by north_bear »

Didn't see a topic so made one. St Cloud is up 5-2 with 6 min left in the 2nd. Hermantown is having a task with its first two games. Maybe premature to engrave their 2017 single A championship trophy?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Hermantown answers. 5-3 scc
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Hermantown scores again. 5-4 early in the 3rd. Sandelin with the hatty.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Hawks again. 5-5 with a little over 10 minutes left.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Off to OT
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

SCC looks wiped. I hope they can hold on.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Hawks win. Sandelin with his 4th of the game.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Wow. Some great excitement in Class A this year.
Be kind. Rewind.
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

Who said the Class A tournament would be a one sided affair? I know Hermantown is going to be heavy favorites but the crowd wil be rooting for Monticello. I guarantee those folks in St.Paul are getting sick of seeing the Hawks in the final every year. Either Hermantown gets the repeat or Monticello pulls the "miracle on ice".
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

hermantown2000 wrote:Who said the Class A tournament would be a one sided affair? I know Hermantown is going to be heavy favorites but the crowd wil be rooting for Monticello. I guarantee those folks in St.Paul are getting sick of seeing the Hawks in the final every year. Either Hermantown gets the repeat or Monticello pulls the "miracle on ice".
Brilliant dramatic breakdown.
The U invented swagger.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

hermantown2000 wrote:Who said the Class A tournament would be a one sided affair? I know Hermantown is going to be heavy favorites but the crowd wil be rooting for Monticello. I guarantee those folks in St.Paul are getting sick of seeing the Hawks in the final every year. Either Hermantown gets the repeat or Monticello pulls the "miracle on ice".
HT will put MAML on running time...who are you kidding! class a Tourney is over.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

hockey59 wrote:
HT will put MAML on running time...who are you kidding! class a Tourney is over.
That's what you said about Luverne too, right? Probably Cathedral as well.

EDIT
I ain't so good at grammar.
The U invented swagger.
defense

Post by defense »

I think Hermantown just ran into two goalies who both happened to have the games of their lives against Hermantown. Honestly, someone get the Cathedral goalie a snickers and a dew!!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Who scored the goal to tie it?
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

EDIT
Maybe you are on to something...maybe HT really does need to stay in single a 🙄🙄🙄 They played so defensively sound today! But it was a nice coneback by HT. And How many SOG did SCC have in OT...zero or one. Still, hats off to SCC! They battled hard.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

hockey59 wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
hockey59 wrote: HT will put MAML on running time...who are you kidding! class a Tourney is over.

EDIT
Maybe you are on to something...maybe HT really does need to stay in single a 🙄🙄🙄 They played so defensively sound today! But it was a nice coneback by HT. And How many SOG did SCC have in OT...zero or one. Still, hats off to SCC! They battled hard.
Is coneback some sort of drill I'm not familiar with?
The U invented swagger.
MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog »

defense wrote:I think Hermantown just ran into two goalies who both happened to have the games of their lives against Hermantown. Honestly, someone get the Cathedral goalie a snickers and a dew!!
Some truth to that. I don't recall the shots against Luverne, but I believe it was over 50. Hermantown averaging 60 shots per game against state tournament teams. If nothing else, it's been the most entertaining tournament for class A I think I've ever watched. Hope tomorrow's game stays interesting.
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

elliott70 wrote:Who scored the goal to tie it?
Elliott Peterson tied the game.

2 tt's...you related?

Great game! St. Cloud was big, physical, and the surrounded the net defensively most of the game. This made it difficult for the Hawks to get the easy rebounds they are used to. Cathedral goaltender was outstanding as well!
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

I like Hermantown's style of play - offense, offense, offense. Sure they give up some goals (their top guys finished +1), but it's really fun hockey to watch and it's worked very well for them over the years you would have to say.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BigTen wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Who scored the goal to tie it?
Elliott Peterson tied the game.

2 tt's...you related?

Great game! St. Cloud was big, physical, and the surrounded the net defensively most of the game. This made it difficult for the Hawks to get the easy rebounds they are used to. Cathedral goaltender was outstanding as well!
My brother's grandson.
My great nephew.
Plays like his uncle (not this one).
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

I was very impressed with the Hermantown forecheck from the 3rd period on. They were super committed to jumping the first pass and and always had a body there to initiate contact. That 3rd period was a clinic on offensive zone play.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

It took the Hawks a while to get there, but when they did, you pretty much knew the inevitable would happen. Nice effort by SCC, and Hermantown has had some prolonged stretches of questionable play in its own zone this Tourney, but once they do turn it on, there's not much their opponents can do. Real credit to Sandelin for putting his team on his back in this one.