Blake and SPU

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:26 am

So now Breck gets to go to state every year. Should we start the thread now about how they should move up? Or wait until next February?

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:43 am

LZ94 wrote:So now Breck gets to go to state every year. Should we start the thread now about how they should move up? Or wait until next February?
Better, will be the complaining from the big schools in 2A who no longer have a easy path to state. Blake will always be the favorite now.

Don't underestimate those political currents by EP and Minnetonka to prevent this from happening. I am sure they have already started the lobbying to the MSHL Board of Trustees

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:15 am

thegreatone99 wrote: Don't underestimate those political currents by EP and Minnetonka to prevent this from happening. I am sure they have already started the lobbying to the MSHL Board of Trustees
I don't think quality teams in AA are as worried about Blake as you may think. They are a good team, but so are a lot of other teams. That's the great part of AA hockey you have to be a good team just to get to the tourney, and at the tourney there are rarely blowouts.

p.s. If they do the proper paper work there is nothing that other teams can do, but my guess is most teams will welcome them to AA

p.p.s. you may want to do a little research and see if you can find the last time Blake beat EP,

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:19 pm

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Mavs wrote:http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... _id=868951

Blake has asked to move up to AA
Has the MSHSL ever denied a request to opt up?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am

Is section realignment this year? Will Blake go in with Edina and Cretin move to somewhere else?

Forest Lake will have Andover to deal with in the future as they are loaded 8th grade and below so that wave is coming

Hill Murray has had a cake walk but Stillwaters talent is young and Cretin could be put back in that section and WBL and MV still have talent

Edina is Edina, Minnetonka has tons of young talent and Blake could be a monkey wrench. Wayzata has depth and talent in the youth ranks

Up north Brainerd and Roseau have good young talent

I think Blaine, Centennial and Elk River will be on the down turn and Maple Grove has good young talent in the pipeline

Eagan has good talent, Farmington might be on the down turn as is Eastview.

I look for Blake, Hill Murray and Cretin to always be a problem as private schools and if BSM's new coach is bringing Machine talent along with him then they could be making a big jump soon.

Who am I missing?

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 am

Farmington might be on the down turn
It looks like the Tigers only graduate 2 seniors (5 points). The state tourney was unexpected (maybe not by the Tigers), but they should be up, not down next year.

Forest Lake will have Andover to deal with in the future as they are loaded 8th grade and below
Forest Lake is pretty young, as well.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks, good points...

I was probably thinking two years down the line more than just next year so you are correct. Centennial still has the two big dogs for another year as well.

knights14

PUCK

Post by knights14 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am

East Ridge has everyone coming back after a section semifinal 2-1 win over Eagan and a section finals 2-1 loss to Eastview. Plus word through the grapevine is 3 kids from outside the district are moving in. Should be a solid contender for the section 3 title next year. Since section 5AA only has 7 teams it would make sense to put section 5A Blake in with 5AA. Yes? No?

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:13 pm

It's not section realignment year, that is every 4 when they start from scratch and then there are sometimes bigger moves. It is the section adjustment year, so Blake will fall in most likely in section 6 based off the map and location of the HS on MSHSL. My guess is for the next 2 years they will leave that as an 8 team section, and we may see some shuffling in 2 years when they do the major realignment.

Mavs

Re: PUCK

Post by Mavs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm

knights14 wrote:East Ridge has everyone coming back after a section semifinal 2-1 win over Eagan and a section finals 2-1 loss to Eastview. Plus word through the grapevine is 3 kids from outside the district are moving in. Should be a solid contender for the section 3 title next year. Since section 5AA only has 7 teams it would make sense to put section 5A Blake in with 5AA. Yes? No?
Yes, East Ridge will be good. Where are the move-ins coming from?

knights14

Post by knights14 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Yes, East Ridge will be good. Where are the move-ins coming from?

Not sure where the move-ins are coming from its one of those i'll believe it when i see it things. Hope it happens though a team can always use more depth.

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Blake will be placed in section 2. Section 6 already has Cretin, unless they move them and replace with Blake. But then you will get major lobbying from Edina as they are building their dynasty now and Blake would dethrone.

EP and Tonka are fighting hard not to have Blake, but with only 7 teams in section now, makes the most sense.

Whoever gets them will not be happy as they can kiss their tournament bids goodbye. Blake will only get stronger with more players wanting to play there since they finally moved up.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:37 pm

thegreatone99 wrote:Blake will be placed in section 2. Section 6 already has Cretin, unless they move them and replace with Blake. But then you will get major lobbying from Edina as they are building their dynasty now and Blake would dethrone.

EP and Tonka are fighting hard not to have Blake, but with only 7 teams in section now, makes the most sense.

Whoever gets them will not be happy as they can kiss their tournament bids goodbye. Blake will only get stronger with more players wanting to play there since they finally moved up.

Section 6 has only 7 teams also...the flip of Edina and Tonka two years ago was political, you can be sure.....Edina wanted to be away from EP...If the MSHSL has any backbone or integrity Blake should be in Sec 6, based on their previous statements that section placements are strictly based on geography. (obviously their MAP has a few flaws)

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:42 am

Two years ago was the "6-year reboot" when they took a look at re-doing everything. They released the new sections (the current ones) with a lot of head scratchers. If you remember, they then re-did girls hockey a short time later saying they understand it wasn't good. A bunch of coaches and AD's flipped out and said they did their schedules based on the original sections (this was BS in my opinion, they just didn't like where they landed) and the MSHSL went back to the original framework.

The question is, will they go back to that major overhaul that they had done (it made more geographical sense), or will they just make the minor tweaks you folks have been discussing. I guess we will know in about a week (March 25th is the date that has been floated).

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 am

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:01 am

Looks like the short Edina dynasty is over as fast as it started. Good thing they finally won this year. EP and Tonka were able to use their lobbying efforts to avoid Blake and Edina got stuck. I am sure they fought like... to avoid the Big Bad Bear who would blow their arenas down.

With Blake moving up, this will only attract more high caliber players and they will finally play and dominate the tourney they were recruited (oops) I mean built for.

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am

thegreatone99 wrote: EP and Tonka were able to use their lobbying efforts to avoid Blake and Edina got stuck.
Lobbying? They not teach geography when/where you grew up? Either you don't understand basic geography or the process. Bottom line a team that has a HS address in the middle of Mpls, is not going to end up in a section that doesn't have a single team inside 494/694. The only thing that may have happened was flipping Edina/Tonka like they did a couple years back. However this was not a reconfigure of sections it was a balancing (not talent, but #'s).

I would still anticipate a couple changes, as there always is. Currently all AA sections except 2 have 8 teams. Last time there were some teams placed in AA that were then moved down to A. I see a handful that may qualify again (Northfield, New Prague, Minnehaha United?, North/Tartan) So maybe some of that minor shuffling will happen again in the next week or two.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:32 am

thegreatone99 wrote:Blake will be placed in section 2. Section 6 already has Cretin, unless they move them and replace with Blake.
Looks like 6AA for Blake.

http://mshsl.org/mshsl/newSectionAssignments.asp

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:26 pm

JJhockeySS wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote: EP and Tonka were able to use their lobbying efforts to avoid Blake and Edina got stuck.
Lobbying? They not teach geography when/where you grew up? Either you don't understand basic geography or the process. Bottom line a team that has a HS address in the middle of Mpls, is not going to end up in a section that doesn't have a single team inside 494/694. The only thing that may have happened was flipping Edina/Tonka like they did a couple years back. However this was not a reconfigure of sections it was a balancing (not talent, but #'s).

I would still anticipate a couple changes, as there always is. Currently all AA sections except 2 have 8 teams. Last time there were some teams placed in AA that were then moved down to A. I see a handful that may qualify again (Northfield, New Prague, Minnehaha United?, North/Tartan) So maybe some of that minor shuffling will happen again in the next week or two.

Yep, Sec 1AA and Sec 6AA have 9 teams...you can probably expect New Prague, Nortfield,and Minnehaha to go back to A . Noth/Tartan has been AA so probably stay. Also a few teams moved into new secs (Orono for one) Also, couldn't find Princeton listed (?)

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:46 pm

nu2hockey wrote: Also, couldn't find Princeton listed (?)
7AA

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:09 pm

JJhockeySS wrote:

You explain the placement of Cretin so well, I guess my public education failed me too.

cjmhockey19

Post by cjmhockey19 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:17 pm

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/sectionassig ... xample.asp

Here's a video showing their process on how they make adjustments to the sections.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 am

thegreatone99 wrote:
JJhockeySS wrote:

You explain the placement of Cretin so well, I guess my public education failed me too.
Yes, apparently I failed geography too. Last time I checked St Paul isn't anywhere near Wayzata, Hopkins, St Louis Park or Edina...and yet the guru's of HS hockey seem to feel that Cretin deserves to be in this section. Here's the reality, why wouldn't Cretin move back to Section 4 and Woodbury move out to Section 3 with East Ridge? They're neighboring towns who swap kids already anyways....right? Little did I know adjusting sections is rocket science....sheesh

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am

Hansonbrother wrote: Yes, apparently I failed geography too. Last time I checked St Paul isn't anywhere near Wayzata, Hopkins, St Louis Park or Edina...and yet the guru's of HS hockey seem to feel that Cretin deserves to be in this section. Here's the reality, why wouldn't Cretin move back to Section 4 and Woodbury move out to Section 3 with East Ridge? They're neighboring towns who swap kids already anyways....right? Little did I know adjusting sections is rocket science....sheesh
Well first you assume they care as much about girls hockey as anyone on this board, second you assume they spend more than 5 min talking about teams/matchups logistics of a specific sport. My best guess is they go through all sports in a morning meeting and are done with it. That is why you see teams/schools listed in a particular sport that don't compete in that sport assigned a section. Like last time the list is updated several times before it is final.

I didn't say I agree with the process. I'm just saying their process is predictable to an extent. That is why I was saying Blake would be in 6 not 2......it's following the guidelines they set out, not lobbying like some have suggested. Last I know it doesn't make sense to you, but if you follow their process it's all based off the 1st pin placed and the direction they go, and the school list they are working off of. With that in mind I know it doesn't make sense from a who they play standpoint, and the line hockey enthusiast have drawn between the east and west side, but when you look at the map you can see how it happened.