Blake and SPU

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Hansonbrother wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote:
JJhockeySS wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote: EP and Tonka were able to use their lobbying efforts to avoid Blake and Edina got stuck.
Lobbying? They not teach geography when/where you grew up? Either you don't understand basic geography or the process. Bottom line a team that has a HS address in the middle of Mpls, is not going to end up in a section that doesn't have a single team inside 494/694. The only thing that may have happened was flipping Edina/Tonka like they did a couple years back. However this was not a reconfigure of sections it was a balancing (not talent, but #'s).

I would still anticipate a couple changes, as there always is. Currently all AA sections except 2 have 8 teams. Last time there were some teams placed in AA that were then moved down to A. I see a handful that may qualify again (Northfield, New Prague, Minnehaha United?, North/Tartan) So maybe some of that minor shuffling will happen again in the next week or two.
You explain the placement of Cretin so well, I guess my public education failed me too.
Yes, apparently I failed geography too. Last time I checked St Paul isn't anywhere near Wayzata, Hopkins, St Louis Park or Edina...and yet the guru's of HS hockey seem to feel that Cretin deserves to be in this section. Here's the reality, why wouldn't Cretin move back to Section 4 and Woodbury move out to Section 3 with East Ridge? They're neighboring towns who swap kids already anyways....right? Little did I know adjusting sections is rocket science....sheesh
It won't be long and Irondale will merge with Mounds View and Woodbury will merge with East Ridge or North/Tartan? When that happens, that section will be down two teams and Cretin will go back or does East Ridge move to that spot?

Blake, Edina, Cretin and Wayzata along with BSM (who will be on the rise) will make for quite the section semi-finals and final.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Is this the time and place to say:

"Its too bad that one (or more) of the best teams in the state WONT make it to state because the section is so tough."

It was a "cakewalk" for Edina this year to blow through this section. I expect it to be a little more difficult in 2017/18 with Blake and also Cretin is on the rise. I think that Wayzata will get better but will probably take another year or two. Supposedly Cretin has more kids in the pipeline and when their goalie is on she can be one of the best in the state. BSM is probably a 2-3 years away.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 am

massalsa wrote:Is this the time and place to say:

"Its too bad that one (or more) of the best teams in the state WONT make it to state because the section is so tough."

It was a "cakewalk" for Edina this year to blow through this section. I expect it to be a little more difficult in 2017/18 with Blake and also Cretin is on the rise. I think that Wayzata will get better but will probably take another year or two. Supposedly Cretin has more kids in the pipeline and when their goalie is on she can be one of the best in the state. BSM is probably a 2-3 years away.
I don't know who is feeding you all the optimism on Cretin. All I hear is that team has issues. Lots of drama and a new coach that turned a really good team into an, "above average team", at best.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am

Hansonbrother wrote:I don't know who is feeding you all the optimism on Cretin. All I hear is that team has issues. Lots of drama and a new coach that turned a really good team into an, "above average team", at best.
I know nothing about their drama level or coaching situation, but they sure have lots of players playing on the Girls 16-Section 6 team in the HP Spring Festival:

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sho ... -section-6

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:48 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:I don't know who is feeding you all the optimism on Cretin. All I hear is that team has issues. Lots of drama and a new coach that turned a really good team into an, "above average team", at best.
I know nothing about their drama level or coaching situation, but they sure have lots of players playing on the Girls 16-Section 6 team in the HP Spring Festival:

but none on 17's?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Mavs wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

but none on 17's?
Just one:
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/roster/s ... son=385112

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:25 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:

Spring Festival participation is pretty much nothing....getting to the 54's for the 16's and 17's is the benchmark, and of course u18 or u18 Select camp

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 pm

nu2hockey wrote:Spring Festival participation is pretty much nothing....getting to the 54's for the 16's and 17's is the benchmark, and of course u18 or u18 Select camp
From an individual standpoint I would agree, but I think having so many from one team representing their section is an indicator of that team's younger depth.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:08 pm

started a 2017 HP thread with some starter thoughts...did not mention the Cretin #s. Did say a couple of other things I did notice.

Back to SPU/Blake...is SPU the favorite in A next season or is it Northfield/Breck/Proctor-Hermantown?

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 pm

massalsa wrote:.is SPU the favorite in A next season or is it Northfield/Breck/Proctor-Hermantown?
Northfield currently listed in 1AA

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:46 pm

JJhockeySS wrote:
massalsa wrote:.is SPU the favorite in A next season or is it Northfield/Breck/Proctor-Hermantown?
JJhockeySS wrote:
I saw the same. After noticing that I took a quick look at the rest of the section re-alignments, comparing the past two years with the upcoming two years:

Movement from A to AA
Northfield 1A to 1AA
Owatonna 1A to 1AA
New Prague 2A to 2AA
Minnehaha United 4A to 6AA
Blake 5A to 6AA
Princeton 5A to 7AA

Movement from AA to A
River Lakes 8AA to 6A
C-E-C 7AA to 7A

Movement from section to section
Orono 2A to 5A

Coop Movement
1. The Rochester John Marshall + Rochester Lourdes co-op has dissolved.
2. Lourdes is now with Dover-Eyota, who dropped from the Dodge co-op.
3. Marshall is on their own now in 1AA.
4. Coon Rapids + Spring Lake Park co-op has ended. Both stay in section 5AA as their own teams.

Comment/Question on the ending of the Coon Rapids/Spring Lake Park co-op: How will either school form their own JV team? Maybe they have no intension of forming JV teams. The co-op team had 38 players this past season with 11 graduating. That leaves 27 skaters between two schools with not a lot coming up from the 15U ranks. On the youth side, SLP co-ops with Blaine, and CR co-ops with Champlin Park. Thus, players are split at those levels too. Is it possible to co-op at the JV level only? This happens on the youth side when two associations can form an A-team, but not enough for a B-team. You need at least 28-30 players (including goalies) to even think about having a JV team. If there are 27 players to split, where will they find 29-33 players to form 4 teams (2 varsity, 2 JV)?

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
JJhockeySS wrote:
JJhockeySS wrote:
I saw the same. After noticing that I took a quick look at the rest of the section re-alignments, comparing the past two years with the upcoming two years:

Movement from A to AA
Northfield 1A to 1AA
Owatonna 1A to 1AA
New Prague 2A to 2AA
Minnehaha United 4A to 6AA
Blake 5A to 6AA
Princeton 5A to 7AA

Movement from AA to A
River Lakes 8AA to 6A
C-E-C 7AA to 7A

Movement from section to section
Orono 2A to 5A

Coop Movement
1. The Rochester John Marshall + Rochester Lourdes co-op has dissolved.
2. Lourdes is now with Dover-Eyota, who dropped from the Dodge co-op.
3. Marshall is on their own now in 1AA.
4. Coon Rapids + Spring Lake Park co-op has ended. Both stay in section 5AA as their own teams.

Comment/Question on the ending of the Coon Rapids/Spring Lake Park co-op: How will either school form their own JV team? Maybe they have no intension of forming JV teams. The co-op team had 38 players this past season with 11 graduating. That leaves 27 skaters between two schools with not a lot coming up from the 15U ranks. On the youth side, SLP co-ops with Blaine, and CR co-ops with Champlin Park. Thus, players are split at those levels too. Is it possible to co-op at the JV level only? This happens on the youth side when two associations can form an A-team, but not enough for a B-team. You need at least 28-30 players (including goalies) to even think about having a JV team. If there are 27 players to split, where will they find 29-33 players to form 4 teams (2 varsity, 2 JV)?

In Class A, as of now , there are 53 teams. Sec 2A,4A,5A & 8A have 6 teams. Sec 1A,3A & 6A have 7 teams , leaving Sec 7A with 8 teams.

In Class AA, Sec 1A & 6A have 9 teams with all other sections having 8 teams, totaling 66 teams.

Interesting that class A has 33/53 teams that are CO-OP's and class AA has 23/66 teams that are CO-OP's

I would think that Owatonna, Northfield, New Prague, and Minnehaha would look to petition, but, what about the stand alone Rochester schools? (edit) I see Rochester Lourdes co-op is in Sec 1A

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 pm

Bemidji enrollment 1179