2017 HP thread...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Hansonbrother wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:HP...The who's who of who paid Winny.

so .....mbh......who else trains girls and gives them opportunities....

Literally, dozens, if not hundreds of other people.

I'll make it easy for you, just post your list, contact info not necessary, others will do the heavy- lifting once you provide your list

Eggs
Milk
Bread
Cereal
Hamburger
Ragu
Doritos
Hormel Chili with beans
Mountain Dew
Toilet Paper (2 ply, I'm a big $hitter)
Another uninformed hockey dad who thinks they can do it better and cheaper and yet get the same results as Winny. Probably the same parent that signs their kid up for a tournament in May and thinks every college will be there and come and scout it.
There is a reason why Os is well respected by all the colleges in the country. There is a reason why the colleges contact her when looking for a player. There are reasons why 90% of the top kids in MN want to play in her programs and want to be mentored by her or any of her staff. But if you have all her contacts, and can attract the best competition for my daughter to compete against all summer for a better price, can I have your number so I can get my kid signed up?
No moron, my point is that dozens of kids with equal or more talent get screwed and passed over for HP and Elite because they don't pay the Winny. And those kids don't get noticed by college coaches who spend 3 days a year in MN and only see the "talent" that Winny has assembled for them.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

I'll make it easy for you, just post your list, contact info not necessary, others will do the heavy- lifting once you provide your list

Eggs
Milk
Bread
Cereal
Hamburger
Ragu
Doritos
Hormel Chili with beans
Mountain Dew
Another uninformed hockey dad who thinks they can do it better and cheaper and yet get the same results as Winny. Probably the same parent that signs their kid up for a tournament in May and thinks every college will be there and come and scout it.
There is a reason why Os is well respected by all the colleges in the country. There is a reason why the colleges contact her when looking for a player. There are reasons why 90% of the top kids in MN want to play in her programs and want to be mentored by her or any of her staff. But if you have all her contacts, and can attract the best competition for my daughter to compete against all summer for a better price, can I have your number so I can get my kid signed up?
No moron, my point is that dozens of kids with equal or more talent get screwed and passed over for HP and Elite because they don't pay the Winny. And those kids don't get noticed by college coaches who spend 3 days a year in MN and only see the "talent" that Winny has assembled for them.
This doesn't make sense to me? Winny doesn't evaluate and select for HP so how does that work? Elite League I assume she certainly does but please explain how only Winny kids make HP?

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:06 pm

Mavs wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

Eggs
Milk
Bread
Cereal
Hamburger
Ragu
Doritos
Hormel Chili with beans
Mountain Dew
This doesn't make sense to me? Winny doesn't evaluate and select for HP so how does that work? Elite League I assume she certainly does but please explain how only Winny kids make HP?
It is possible that Bowhunter has spent too much time in the woods. Winny has nothing to do with HP. She does however take those kids that make the Nationals camp and give them an invite to Elite League.

If those so called "Passed over kids" feel they are being "overlooked", they can certainly contact Os, sign up, and work their way to the proper league level they deserve...I've seen it happen over and over with many kids. They start out in one league level and move up to the higher levels along the way. I don't know what your beef is with Winny. All she does is promote girls hockey. Perhaps you should start using your mouth and stop talking out of your butt.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:42 am

Hansonbrother wrote:
Mavs wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

Eggs
Milk
Bread
Cereal
Hamburger
Ragu
Doritos
Hormel Chili with beans
Mountain Dew
It is possible that Bowhunter has spent too much time in the woods. Winny has nothing to do with HP. She does however take those kids that make the Nationals camp and give them an invite to Elite League.

If those so called "Passed over kids" feel they are being "overlooked", they can certainly contact Os, sign up, and work their way to the proper league level they deserve...I've seen it happen over and over with many kids. They start out in one league level and move up to the higher levels along the way. I don't know what your beef is with Winny. All she does is promote girls hockey. Perhaps you should start using your mouth and stop talking out of your butt.
ooh mbh hit between the shoulders with a broadhead

Daulton21

Post by Daulton21 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 am

Congratulations to all the girls that made these teams. I know we all think our daughters are just as good as some of these girls and we feel slighted we did not get in. So it didn't happen this year. That doesn't mean the girls who made it did not deserve it. Good Luck to all, if you did not make it use it as a motivator to work even harder to prove a decision maker wrong. its still a game....

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:38 am

zambonidriver wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
Mavs wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

Eggs
Milk
Bread
Cereal
Hamburger
Ragu
Doritos
Hormel Chili with beans
Mountain Dew

ooh mbh hit between the shoulders with a broadhead

This is too funny, maybe if unhappy with the results of HP, can always take your skill set to UND.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Completely jealous ignorant ridiculous statement IMO.. Give me a list of all the Studs that were overlooked and not playing in this tournament??

Can't wait to get your intel!

knights14

HP

Post by knights14 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:43 am

Not sure if it makes a bit of difference or not but Winny is in the building with some of her staff doing evaluations. She does sit at the table at the end of the games on Sunday and help pick the deserving players from each team that will move on. Not sure where some of you get your fake news but you need to check the facts before you go to print. :D

Bardown96

Post by Bardown96 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:25 am

Winny is one of 15 evaluators at the 16 level as she does gave a great eye for talent but is not a final decision maker. I have known her for 15 year sand she is very truthful and unbiased with a great eye for talent so they would be stupid not to use her. Winny has done awesome things for ALL girls playing womens hockey from programs, exposure, kids playing college hockey, and a very strong advocate at all levels for the sport. The 17 level has the same type systems. Many of these Evaluators are College Coaches and like was said before they don't miss any National Camp kids not making the Final 54. I would agree players 40 -60 are very close but again the process is to identify players whom make National Camp not bubble D3 players. I love this process as it compares kids same age and no AAA DADs(coaches) hand picking their favorites. Colleges will also agree this is their #1 recruiting event to find kids in Minnesota. I hope we get more positive hockey people to see what good things programs and people do and not always the negatives.

Cdale

Post by Cdale » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Bardown96 wrote:Winny is one of 15 evaluators at the 16 level as she does gave a great eye for talent but is not a final decision maker. I have known her for 15 year sand she is very truthful and unbiased with a great eye for talent so they would be stupid not to use her. Winny has done awesome things for ALL girls playing womens hockey from programs, exposure, kids playing college hockey, and a very strong advocate at all levels for the sport. The 17 level has the same type systems. Many of these Evaluators are College Coaches and like was said before they don't miss any National Camp kids not making the Final 54. I would agree players 40 -60 are very close but again the process is to identify players whom make National Camp not bubble D3 players. I love this process as it compares kids same age and no AAA DADs(coaches) hand picking their favorites. Colleges will also agree this is their #1 recruiting event to find kids in Minnesota. I hope we get more positive hockey people to see what good things programs and people do and not always the negatives.
That's a great post...well said.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Bardown96 wrote:I love this process as it compares kids same age and no AAA DADs(coaches) hand picking their favorites.
Are any of the evaluators today also high school coaches? I seem to recall that used to be the case.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Bardown96 wrote:Winny is one of 15 evaluators at the 16 level as she does gave a great eye for talent but is not a final decision maker. I have known her for 15 year sand she is very truthful and unbiased with a great eye for talent so they would be stupid not to use her. Winny has done awesome things for ALL girls playing womens hockey from programs, exposure, kids playing college hockey, and a very strong advocate at all levels for the sport. The 17 level has the same type systems. Many of these Evaluators are College Coaches and like was said before they don't miss any National Camp kids not making the Final 54. I would agree players 40 -60 are very close but again the process is to identify players whom make National Camp not bubble D3 players. I love this process as it compares kids same age and no AAA DADs(coaches) hand picking their favorites. Colleges will also agree this is their #1 recruiting event to find kids in Minnesota. I hope we get more positive hockey people to see what good things programs and people do and not always the negatives.
good info, thank you

knights14

Post by knights14 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Bardown96 wrote:I love this process as it compares kids same age and no AAA DADs(coaches) hand picking their favorites.
Are any of the evaluators today also high school coaches? I seem to recall that used to be the case.

Yes most are high school coaches, some Dlll coaches and some ex college players who either are not coaching or are coaching youth. The majority of the team coaches and team GM's are high school coaches. The coaches of the teams and the GM's of the teams also have input but only towards their respective team's players. Its a good process that is gone over very carefully.

Bardown96

Post by Bardown96 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes on the evaluation side there were some current HS coaches, most of the evaluators were college coaches and their assistants as well as former HS coaches.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:14 pm

seems like a fair process...

There are more than 54 very good players and not much difference between last 20 in and first 20 out.

Breza had no goals through 2 games (correct me if I am wrong) and then lit it up in the friendship game. Other top end kids had a hard time lighting the lamp as the D, G and back-checking F are all good players and time and space is limited. Girls that scored like crazy in high school find it tough to score in these 3 games.

The evaluations can't be easy. There is a very small handful of players that stand above but really isn't a Grace Zumwinkel and other than Breza's one game, nobody can take over a game, especially with four lines of F and three sets of D.

The 17's leader had 4 goals in 3 games.

The Final 54 is 30 forwards, 18 defense and 6 goalies.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:43 am

Mavs wrote:seems like a fair process...

There are more than 54 very good players and not much difference between last 20 in and first 20 out.

Breza had no goals through 2 games (correct me if I am wrong) and then lit it up in the friendship game. Other top end kids had a hard time lighting the lamp as the D, G and back-checking F are all good players and time and space is limited. Girls that scored like crazy in high school find it tough to score in these 3 games.

The evaluations can't be easy. There is a very small handful of players that stand above but really isn't a Grace Zumwinkel and other than Breza's one game, nobody can take over a game, especially with four lines of F and three sets of D.

The 17's leader had 4 goals in 3 games.

The Final 54 is 30 forwards, 18 defense and 6 goalies.
The 17's and 16's don't have a standout player like Zumwinkle amongst them...but, they are incredibly deep with fundamentally good players.

Syd Breza is still a good player, but far from the standout she was at U12. Many kids have caught and passed her, and she doesn't dominate like she used to...with that being said, she is still a very very nice player.

Bardown96

Post by Bardown96 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 am

I would disagree from watching the games as a Taylor Heise is very dominant like a Zumwinkle as well as the Blake u18 girls and couple others would have to get my roster out from the weekend again. One thing I feel as more parity now as the gap from worst to best has tightened up and its harder to dominate as the third and fourth lines this weekend were pretty good and in the past they were brutal and felt should cut down to three lines 4 D but talent pool is deeper now. Look at the College ranks as well as no more cake walks for the Big 4 teams at the D1 level as more blue chip players so other colleges can get them.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:48 am

Look at the College ranks as well as no more cake walks for the Big 4 teams at the D1 level as more blue chip players so other colleges can get them.
There are still only 4 different programs that have won a national championship; 3 of those 4 were in the final 4 - the 4th lost in the quarterfinals to one of those 3.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:04 am

I love this process as it compares kids same age and no AAA DADs(coaches) hand picking their favorites.
True that there are not many dads, but you can't remove this from the process entirely. High school coaches are human. And it looks like some kids have accumulated hero points (for any dungeon and dragons dorks out there) from their younger days and were passed along after a less-than-mediocre weekend, while kids from lesser established programs looked really good, and, if it was truly based just on performance over the weekend, should have been selected.

I would agree players 40 -60 are very close but again the process is to identify players whom make National Camp not bubble D3 players.

My guess is that the 60th kid on the evaluation would make a DIII roster today.

the process is to identify players whom make National Camp
Colleges will also agree this is their #1 recruiting event to find kids in Minnesota
Which is it?

AggieSpirit

Post by AggieSpirit » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Our team from Dallas played and beat D16 Lakers today. Is this an HP team from Minnesota?

I noticed Kuipers on the roster for D16 14U Tier 1 team. When I was in Minneapolis on business in Feb, I saw her play for Eden Prairie Varsity vs Shakopee in sectional at Braemar. She also scored for D16 in today's game.

I wonder if any of our Dallas girls could hang in Minneapolis HS Girls ranks up there?

Can you guys tell me the process of how these girls make an HP team? Is there an open tryout? When is it? How are the coaches picked? I gather that the girls either play 15U or HS for their community teams normally. So how do they have time to prepare together for Tier 1 nationals? What is the extra cost?

Our team is the only girls program in all of Texas, and there are less than 150 girls playing under 18 years old statewide. Some of our girls do play boys JV club HS hockey, but only a handful. Most are only with Dallas Stars Elite.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 pm

AggieSpirit wrote:Our team from Dallas played and beat D16 Lakers today. Is this an HP team from Minnesota?

I noticed Kuipers on the roster for D16 14U Tier 1 team. When I was in Minneapolis on business in Feb, I saw her play for Eden Prairie Varsity vs Shakopee in sectional at Braemar. She also scored for D16 in today's game.

I wonder if any of our Dallas girls could hang in Minneapolis HS Girls ranks up there?

Can you guys tell me the process of how these girls make an HP team? Is there an open tryout? When is it? How are the coaches picked? I gather that the girls either play 15U or HS for their community teams normally. So how do they have time to prepare together for Tier 1 nationals? What is the extra cost?

Our team is the only girls program in all of Texas, and there are less than 150 girls playing under 18 years old statewide. Some of our girls do play boys JV club HS hockey, but only a handful. Most are only with Dallas Stars Elite.
Others here who are more up-to-date on the HP process can chime in, but as far as I know the D16 Lakers have nothing to do with HP, nor is it anywhere close to the top high school girls hockey teams in the State. For example, on the last USA U18 team, there were 11 players from Minnesota. And, to the best of my knowledge, none of the these players came from the D16 Lakers team. Nor did the USA U18's have any players from the State of Texas.

But kudos to Texas for helping to grow the sport! But I seriously doubt that at this stage of their development the Dallas Stars Elite would compete against the best of what Minnesota has to offer.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 am

The D6 U14 Laker Team is a product of the new Tier I system in MN. All the girls are 03 or 02 birth years. Each MN district had tryouts to make a Tier I team to represent their district. The district teams then played a short season last fall and had a playoff. The winner of the playoff represented MN at Nationals. Some age levels included Shattack. This one did not. District 6 won the playoff. The girls on the team then played for their respective association or high school. They have not played together since October and did not train together between October and Nationals.
In terms of talent, there are some holes. For example, a well known 02 team did not have any of it players participate in the Tier I process.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:59 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
AggieSpirit wrote:Our team from Dallas played and beat D16 Lakers today. Is this an HP team from Minnesota?

Others here who are more up-to-date on the HP process can chime in, but as far as I know the D16 Lakers have nothing to do with HP, nor is it anywhere close to the top high school girls hockey teams in the State. For example, on the last USA U18 team, there were 11 players from Minnesota. And, to the best of my knowledge, none of the these players came from the D16 Lakers team. Nor did the USA U18's have any players from the State of Texas.

But kudos to Texas for helping to grow the sport! But I seriously doubt that at this stage of their development the Dallas Stars Elite would compete against the best of what Minnesota has to offer.

aggie, It appears that your team is going to make the semifinals at the Natty tourney....Big congrats on that. The team(lakers) you are asking about should be considered a tier2 team. Also, at U14 most of the good players play on U16 teams across the country. The U16 Stars and the U19 Colorado Selects performance at the tourney is what most would expect..Your U14 team performance would indicate an improvement in your program, for girl's hockey that is fantastic. When this team becomes a U16 team, try to get up to Minnesota and play some Elite League games. That will tell you where the program is more that anything..Just be aware the Colorado Selects U19 team that is at the National tourney came to a fall tourney up here, they were a little boastful wanting to play the best Mn U19 players..instead they played a team of 02's that skated them out of the rink. Needless to say, their attitude changed quite fast

There was one Texas player on last years U18 team when they played in Czech. She was added before the tourney .

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:57 pm

AAA Dad wrote:
Completely jealous ignorant ridiculous statement IMO.. Give me a list of all the Studs that were overlooked and not playing in this tournament??

Somewhere in the middle of this discussion is the truth. I think Bow hunter here has a valid point. AAA, well I'm not too sure. AAA, not that your forum name means anything by the way, but your attitude says enough. You have limited spots, and a lot of talent out there, and contrary to the Winny gold standard you believe in, there are a lot of kids who don’t go this route still. She does have her favorites. I'm sure it wouldn't be good for business if she cuts girls from her own program. I mean all that stellar Winny time (when she' shows up) and being cut from the HP program wouldn't be good advertisement for her. A little naïve if you think it doesn't play into it at all. Mr. HansonWinnyBrother has spent a few dollars on her program I think...though you can't tell by his biased comments. It also sounds like HB/AAA have drank few gallons of the Winny Kool-Aid...just saying. Fair and balanced isn't in your thought process when monetary investment plays in. I'm wondering if HB and AAA can hold it together when Mrs. Hockey Jesus walks into the room. Your kids still have great skill; have excellent grades, to have a shot at a D1 or D3 school. Doesn't Matter what Winny Jesus says. If you’re good enough you'll get noticed with, or without Winny. But someone has to make the money off your daughter; it might as well be yours. I’ll give her this; she does have some good skills, and a good network to work with. But there are many avenues for this type of communication, not just Winny’s. By the way, I’m an insider on her program as well. But I don’t have the ‘halo’ affect when she walks in the room either.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:22 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
AAA Dad wrote:

Somewhere in the middle of this discussion is the truth. I think Bow hunter here has a valid point. AAA, well I'm not too sure. AAA, not that your forum name means anything by the way, but your attitude says enough. You have limited spots, and a lot of talent out there, and contrary to the Winny gold standard you believe in, there are a lot of kids who don’t go this route still. She does have her favorites. I'm sure it wouldn't be good for business if she cuts girls from her own program. I mean all that stellar Winny time (when she' shows up) and being cut from the HP program wouldn't be good advertisement for her. A little naïve if you think it doesn't play into it at all. Mr. HansonWinnyBrother has spent a few dollars on her program I think...though you can't tell by his biased comments. It also sounds like HB/AAA have drank few gallons of the Winny Kool-Aid...just saying. Fair and balanced isn't in your thought process when monetary investment plays in. I'm wondering if HB and AAA can hold it together when Mrs. Hockey Jesus walks into the room. Your kids still have great skill; have excellent grades, to have a shot at a D1 or D3 school. Doesn't Matter what Winny Jesus says. If you’re good enough you'll get noticed with, or without Winny. But someone has to make the money off your daughter; it might as well be yours. I’ll give her this; she does have some good skills, and a good network to work with. But there are many avenues for this type of communication, not just Winny’s. By the way, I’m an insider on her program as well. But I don’t have the ‘halo’ affect when she walks in the room either.
You'd think that with a name like yours and a name like mine, coming from the same movie, we might be on the same page...Not so much.
Obviously we may need to find a common ground here...Would you agree that it would help a girl to get noticed by a D1 school if she were competing in an atmosphere where D1 coaches come to watch several girls of like skills compete against each other? Would you agree if you were a coach traveling to watch kids play, you'd probably choose a venue where you could shoot fish in a barrel versus only see one or two kids that might be on your radar?
I've met too many dads like yourself who hate Winny and feel they can get better bang for their buck somewhere else. Kudos to you. I'm not trying to spend your money or talk you into Winny's program. Only you know what's best for your kid. You're right, its not for everyone, and there are a few kids that get seen without her help. But what I've found is that colleges don't fish the high school games as much as they used to. They would rather fish venues where they will see top kids playing against top kids, so they get a much better read on a how a kid will compete against better competition. Not a top Junior forward walking an average Freshman D in a high school game...which is typical.
I've also run into the "do it yourself dad's" that tell me they are running their own summer camp, and they're putting a tournament team together that will kill any Winny team... And they are going to compete in tournaments that draw more college scouts than any venue that Winny puts together.... only to find out one of the big tournaments was in May, when colleges aren't allowed to travel or scout players.
Say what you want to say, and feel what you want to feel about Winny...fact is, she gives D1 schools more access to these girls than any other venue in Minnesota...all you need to do is come visit any one of her tournaments and you will see schools stacked up like cord wood.