Nick Swaney

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Re: Junior hockey

Post by MNHockeyFan »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:Herb Brooks had 15 former St Paul Vulcans on his 3 NCAA Championship teams in 1974, 1976 and 1979 .
Since you know how many you must know the names?
WarmUpTheBus

Re: Junior hockey

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:Herb Brooks had 15 former St Paul Vulcans on his 3 NCAA Championship teams in 1974, 1976 and 1979 .
Since you know how many you must know the names?
I read 15 on the vintage hockey site but don't know all the names.
Vulcans-Paul Holmgren, Steve Ulseth, Bruce Lind, Ken Yackel Jr., Mike Greeder, Kevin Hartzell, Mark Lambert, Tom Gorence, Dan Bonk, Jim Boo, Pat Phippen John Sheridan.
Tim Harrer played for the Jr Stars. That's all I have.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I believe the NCAA has different rules in regards to American junior hockey and what constitutes an amateur that make a similar league in revenue sports not viable. The USHL touts on its own website that the league is "NCAA protected".

The NCAA has a rule that makes kids inelgible for NCAA competition that delay their initial enrollment to participate in organized sports competition. Kids have to get waivers from that rule to go to the Olympics.

Hockey is the only sport where that rule doesn't apply.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

goldy313 wrote:The NCAA has a rule that makes kids inelgible for NCAA competition that delay their initial enrollment to participate in organized sports competition. Kids have to get waivers from that rule to go to the Olympics.

What? The NCAA does not have that rule. How many guys have played Professional Baseball right out of High School and then go back and play NCAA Football later on? Chris Weinke and Russel Wilson both come to mind.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Jeffy95 wrote:
goldy313 wrote:The NCAA has a rule that makes kids inelgible for NCAA competition that delay their initial enrollment to participate in organized sports competition. Kids have to get waivers from that rule to go to the Olympics.

What? The NCAA does not have that rule. How many guys have played Professional Baseball right out of High School and then go back and play NCAA Football later on? Chris Weinke and Russel Wilson both come to mind.
=D>
The U invented swagger.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Umm, being a pro baseball player makes you a pro baseball player. Not a professional football player.

www.ncaa.org/amateurism
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

goldy313 wrote:Umm, being a pro baseball player makes you a pro baseball player. Not a professional football player.

www.ncaa.org/amateurism
That isn't what you said. You said the NCAA makes those who delay initial enrollment for "organized sports competition" ineligible.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Umm, being a pro baseball player makes you a pro baseball player. Not a professional football player.

www.ncaa.org/amateurism
That isn't what you said. You said the NCAA makes those who delay initial enrollment for "organized sports competition" ineligible.
#-o
The discussion was about hockey, junior leagues, and why other sports didn't have them. I showed hockey has a special exemption from the NCAA that allows junior leagues while other sports don't.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Wonder if Sandelin wishing he could send Tufte down and bring Swaney up?
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

WestMetro wrote:Wonder if Sandelin wishing he could send Tufte down and bring Swaney up?
I heard Swaney signed the other day. Congratulations!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Congrats to bulldogs on a great season and great game tonight! Take nothing away from them after a tremendous third period effort!

I say they could beat DU in 7 game series because of size and physical play

But, Could they have used one more pure high percentage sniper like Nick?
They had 8 or 10 good looks tonight that missed by a foot.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

WestMetro wrote:Congrats to bulldogs on a great season and great game tonight! Take nothing away from them after a tremendous third period effort!

I say they could beat DU in 7 game series because of size and physical play

But, Could they have used one more pure high percentage sniper like Nick?
They had 8 or 10 good looks tonight that missed by a foot.
West, I am hearing UMD is going to have the kid spend one more year in Waterloo. What are you hearing?