Klatt National Coach of the Year - USA Today

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Klatt National Coach of the Year - USA Today

Post by greenwayraider »

From USA Today:
COACH PROFILE:

Name: Trent Klatt
School: Grand Rapids (Minn.)

After deciding that he wanted to spend more time with his family in Minnesota, Trent Klatt stepped down as the head amateur scout for the New York Islanders in 2015. But the hockey itch wasn’t going away for the 14-year NHL veteran.

So when the coaching job at Grand Rapids (Minn.) became available, Klatt applied. It appeared to be a good fit—Klatt was a longtime resident of Grand Rapids and had been a youth coach in town. He had even spent a couple of years as a volunteer assistant with the varsity.

Turns out, the fit wasn’t just good. It was perfect. It took Klatt just two years to turn the Thunderhawks (23-7-1) into state champions. That accomplishment earns Klatt the American Family Insurance ALL-USA Coach of the Year honor fAfter a stunning 3-2 upset of Eden Prairie—led by American Family Insurance ALL-USA Player of the Year Casey Mittelstadt—in the Class AA state semifinals, Klatt had just one day to bring his team down from that high to focus on the state final against Moorhead, a team that had beaten the Thunderhawks, 4-0, during the regular season.

History did not repeat itself. ALL-USA First Teamer Gavin Hain notched a hat trick and linemates Micah Miller and Blake McLaughlin also scored in the 6-3 win that gave Grand Rapids its first state title since 1980.

The state semifinals and final “was our best hockey that we played all year,” Klatt said after the win against Moorhead. “I saw my players do things that quite frankly, I haven’t seen them to all year — stuff we’ve been trying to teach them and reminding them of. We were playing our best hockey.”

Klatt never won a state title when he starred at Osseo (Minn.) High, winning Mr. Hockey honors in 1989. A few months later, he was drafted in the fourth round by the Washington Capitals. After three successful seasons at the University of Minnesota, he started his NHL career with the Minnesota North Stars, who had traded for Klatt in 1991. Klatt moved when the franchise relocated to Dallas, and he also played for the Philadelphia Flyers—where he had his best season with 24 goals and 21 assists in 1996-97—the Vancouver Canucks and the Los Angeles Kings before retiring after the NHL lockout wiped out the 2004-05 season.

He did amazing job in righting the ship. Congratulations.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Any chance he could be a candidate for the open assistant job at the U of M?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Any chance he could be a candidate for the open assistant job at the U of M?
Not sure if he graduated. Most have a degree to coach at U.
Dangler82

Post by Dangler82 »

[quote="mulefarm"][quote="MNHockeyFan"]Any chance he could be a candidate for the open assistant job at the U of M?[/quote]

Not sure if he graduated. Most have a degree to coach at U.[/quote]

Tony Granato is finishing his degree this year so maybe the U would consider a similar situation. I would rather see Scott Bell as an assistant, but that is just me.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Any chance he could be a candidate for the open assistant job at the U of M?
Have you been to Grand Rapids? Very doubtful he's trading that for the Concrete Jungle.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Have you been to Grand Rapids? Very doubtful he's trading that for the Concrete Jungle.
Nice town for sure, and in fact I came very close to moving there once. As far as Klatt is concerned, it all depends on his personal goals. He would certainly come out ahead money-wise, if that's important to him.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Nice town for sure, and in fact I came very close to moving there once. As far as Klatt is concerned, it all depends on his personal goals. He would certainly come out ahead money-wise, if that's important to him.
I don't know him, but I'm guessing if he had any desire to live in the Cities he would already be there since that's where he grew up. No idea how much money he has left, but he did make over $8 Million in his career. I imagine if money mattered he would have kept his scouting job with the NHL, which still allowed him to live in Rapids.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

UMTC jobs have been filled with Cory Millen and Ben Gordon.
Millen is back in school so he qualifies to coach.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Great for Klatt!! Guy gets national coach of the year, but doesn't get section or AA coach of the year? What's wrong with that picture??
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I thought Millen coached the Junior team in Cloquet?
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

MIllen left the Wilderness and is "student" coaching at the U
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

hadenuf wrote:UMTC jobs have been filled with Cory Millen and Ben Gordon.
Huh?