2017 HP thread...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:04 pm

zambonidriver wrote:HP15 Girls: W/L/T for each team 5 games total.
D2: 5-0
D3: 2-2-1
D4/9: 2-3
D5: 0-5
D6: 4-1
D8: 1-4
D10: 3-1-1
D11/12: 2-3
D15: 2-3
D16: 2-3
D8 went 2-3 for the weekend just to correct. However, they way they handled their line combo's was pretty funny. Loved to showcase players from the community all three coaches were from.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:45 am

Got it off mn hockey twitter.
d8 had nice team

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 am

zambonidriver wrote:Got it off mn hockey twitter.
d8 had nice team
I believe D6 and D2 have a two year combined record of 19-1 at the 15 level as both were undefeated last year and didn't play each other. I thought a lot of those D2 programs are down.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am

District 10 the only undefeated team at the 14 level

massalsa

incomplete scores?

Post by massalsa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:30 am

How difficult can it be to get box scores up for all of the games?

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/schedule ... er=3304081

They have the information somewhere as someone has enough info to write about it:

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_art ... id=3304081

Mavs

Re: incomplete scores?

Post by Mavs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

massalsa wrote:How difficult can it be to get box scores up for all of the games?

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/schedule ... er=3304081

They have the information somewhere as someone has enough info to write about it:

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_art ... id=3304081
HUGE pet-peeve. Its all about the $ yet can't get someone to input the stats right away? Ridiculous

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Agree completely on the stats and $$$...

How about some post weekend downloads from people that watched their favorite players, teams, sections, future Gophers, etc?!?!?

Who looked exceptional this weekend?!?

Who seems to be favorites to make the 66 camp in 00 & 01?

How did the 02 MachineOs look and play vs the rest of the 02 world? Looked like a decent # of those alumni had pretty good weekends points wise.

Typically there are 1-3 15's that make 66. Who were the best 1-3 02's that might get the invite?

How did the committed look vs the non-commits?

Who was there recruiting in force?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Come on Zam...you think that I cant navigate the HP page for all sorts of complete and incomplete data?!?

Other than your favorite goalie who was remarkable as an individual or a team?

I am sure that you had full radar on checking people, schools, and other things happening at the birthplace of the best youth hockey players in the USA...how about something that other might have missed!

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:18 pm

massalsa wrote:
Come on Zam...you think that I cant navigate the HP page for all sorts of complete and incomplete data?!?

I am sure that you had full radar on checking people, schools, and other things happening at the birthplace of the best youth hockey players in the USA...how about something that other might have missed!
Ok all of the JWCD kids shined. You could easily tell the kids who had HS experience as opposed to u-15. A couple of kids who caught my eye on D-2 Emme Nelson Mahtomedi works extremely hard reminds me of Audrey Wethington has a motor that won't stop. Ava Johnson from Stillwater big girl knows how to use her body sees the ice really well and has great hands.
Martinson from Apple Valley was very good. Really I think only Three kids have a legit chance to go to Maine. Two D One from D2 One from D3 I recuse myself from the third but her play spoke for itself. Go ahead rip me Bowhunter.
Saw a lot of college coaches at our three games too many to list all here. Some real good hockey. BTW Nina Steighauf HM gets better every time I see her. Have at it boys.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 am

Zam you have a lot to learn if you think 02's are going to Maine based off one weekend at the 15 spring festival! Making 29 saves in three games is hardly a big feat when you are playing in a watered down talent pool. There wasn't one 01 goalie last year that made Maine and I'm willing to bet there won't be one 02 this year. In fact there wasn't one MN 01 player that made Maine last year. Sorry to burst your bubble! So enjoy your Minnesota camp and hopefully your daughter makes the U15 natty camp. FYI if your daughter is good enough for Maine she will be invited to USA goaltender development camp this May. That would be the first step for her trip to Maine.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/ ... ment-camps

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 am

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:59 am

zambonidriver wrote:
massalsa wrote:

Ok all of the JWCD kids shined. You could easily tell the kids who had HS experience as opposed to u-15. A couple of kids who caught my eye on D-2 Emme Nelson Mahtomedi works extremely hard reminds me of Audrey Wethington has a motor that won't stop. Ava Johnson from Stillwater big girl knows how to use her body sees the ice really well and has great hands.
Martinson from Apple Valley was very good. Really I think only Three kids have a legit chance to go to Maine. Two D One from D2 One from D3 I recuse myself from the third but her play spoke for itself. Go ahead rip me Bowhunter.
Saw a lot of college coaches at our three games too many to list all here. Some real good hockey. BTW Nina Steighauf HM gets better every time I see her. Have at it boys.
Thank you Zam. I appreciate it and am glad to read an OPINION on what people saw in their view. Whether it was 15's, 16's, or 17's. I am not familiar with the D2 D but will be looking now!

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:26 pm

woody wrote:Zam you have a lot to learn if you think 02's are going to Maine based off one weekend at the 15 spring festival! Making 29 saves in three games is hardly a big feat when you are playing in a watered down talent pool. There wasn't one 01 goalie last year that made Maine and I'm willing to bet there won't be one 02 this year. In fact there wasn't one MN 01 player that made Maine last year. Sorry to burst your bubble! So enjoy your Minnesota camp and hopefully your daughter makes the U15 natty camp. FYI if your daughter is good enough for Maine she will be invited to USA goaltender development camp this May. That would be the first step for her trip to Maine.

Ok Mr/Mrs critical, there were actually 2 girls with MN ties that were 2 of the 3 01's that were at 66 last year. You are correct that none were goalies. I believe that Addi Scribner played youth somewhere on the east side and played summer & tourney's with the Blades. I believe she played for Eastridge last winter. She was in the Central district (family address somewhere in Missouri or Kansas?). Also in the Central district was Miranda Anthony. She played last summer with JWCD and also plays for Hill Murray.

Also it is my understanding (and I may be very wrong) that some MN players from the past have played in the festival and then moved to 66 at 15. I think that there is at least 1 00 that did that. There was also a 00 last year that did not play in the 54's and made 66.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:39 pm

massalsa wrote:
woody wrote:Zam you have a lot to learn if you think 02's are going to Maine based off one weekend at the 15 spring festival! Making 29 saves in three games is hardly a big feat when you are playing in a watered down talent pool. There wasn't one 01 goalie last year that made Maine and I'm willing to bet there won't be one 02 this year. In fact there wasn't one MN 01 player that made Maine last year. Sorry to burst your bubble! So enjoy your Minnesota camp and hopefully your daughter makes the U15 natty camp. FYI if your daughter is good enough for Maine she will be invited to USA goaltender development camp this May. That would be the first step for her trip to Maine.

Ok Mr/Mrs critical, there were actually 2 girls with MN ties that were 2 of the 3 01's that were at 66 last year. You are correct that none were goalies. I believe that Addi Scribner played youth somewhere on the east side and played summer & tourney's with the Blades. I believe she played for Eastridge last winter. She was in the Central district (family address somewhere in Missouri or Kansas?). Also in the Central district was Miranda Anthony. She played last summer with JWCD and also plays for Hill Murray.

Also it is my understanding (and I may be very wrong) that some MN players from the past have played in the festival and then moved to 66 at 15. I think that there is at least 1 00 that did that. There was also a 00 last year that did not play in the 54's and made 66.
You are correct they do have ties to MN but either way they didn't go through the MN HP process. So therefore "No MN Girls Made 66" at the 01 age group last year. You can twist it anyway you want, I was simply stating the facts. Other districts have a one weekend tryout process and is a completely different animal than MN HP. MN girls need to prove themselves on more than just a weekend of play. In regards to the 3 MN 00's that made it the previous year that was done after the 15 Minnesota Camp in St. Cloud, not the Spring Festival. So trying to say a girl has a case for 66 camp after a 10 team watered downed spring festival is absolutely laughable! ':lol:' There is a lot of fat that still needs to be trimmed to see who truly can rise to the top. It's a whole new ball game up in St. Cloud. Especially if your kid gets thrown on a weaker team after being on one of the better teams in the spring festival.

In a nut shell if your daughter is a 15 this year I would focus on your daughter first making MN camp. Which I believe was released today. After that if she proves she is one of the best 02's in MN maybe she will be selected. But the odds are not in her favor due to age and the possibility of more talented 02's in other districts.

I would also like to add just when you think you have USA hockey's system figured out it quickly changes. They have no pattern on what they do. Some years they take more, other years they take less. It all depends on the talent pool. So making a comment on your own daughter being worthiness of Maine after a small portion of the process has been completed is idiotic and a huge stretch! Capiche?

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:32 pm

woody wrote:
massalsa wrote:

You are correct they do have ties to MN but either way they didn't go through the MN HP process. So therefore "No MN Girls Made 66" at the 01 age group last year. You can twist it anyway you want, I was simply stating the facts. Other districts have a one weekend tryout process and is a completely different animal than MN HP. MN girls need to prove themselves on more than just a weekend of play. In regards to the 3 MN 00's that made it the previous year that was done after the 15 Minnesota Camp in St. Cloud, not the Spring Festival. So trying to say a girl has a case for 66 camp after a 10 team watered downed spring festival is absolutely laughable! ':lol:' There is a lot of fat that still needs to be trimmed to see who truly can rise to the top. It's a whole new ball game up in St. Cloud. Especially if your kid gets thrown on a weaker team after being on one of the better teams in the spring festival.

In a nut shell if your daughter is a 15 this year I would focus on your daughter first making MN camp. Which I believe was released today. After that if she proves she is one of the best 02's in MN maybe she will be selected. But the odds are not in her favor due to age and the possibility of more talented 02's in other districts.

I would also like to add just when you think you have USA hockey's system figured out it quickly changes. They have no pattern on what they do. Some years they take more, other years they take less. It all depends on the talent pool. So making a comment on your own daughter being worthiness of Maine after a small portion of the process has been completed is idiotic and a huge stretch! Capiche?
MN camp list out today. Lots of OS helmet stickers will be in St. Cloud! Also lots of Park Wolfpack a program to keep your eyes on in the future.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 pm

woody wrote:
massalsa wrote:

I am most surely an idiot. Masalsa asked my opinion so I gave it. Fully expecting to get ripped here. Let me restate I saw three kids in the limited sample clearly stand out two were from district 2 one was from district 3. One happened to be my daughter. I am very proud of her So if I blow her horn I don't see what is wrong with that. My opinion I might be wrong if I am so be it. I have been through this process before with older kids where I didn't blow their horn enough. Learn from history or doomed to repeat it. I do know this the sun will come up tomorrow, You family will always love you and there are 3 billion people in China that don't care what you think. for that case neither do I.

Yogi17

Post by Yogi17 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Watched a bunch of the 16s games. The one thing that's obvious is, goals are hard to come by. Even for the most talented. The D and goalies are pretty darn good. So for one weekend, it was some of the fastest paced, low scoring, all around great hockey to watch. Lots of talent here if you can throw 3 teams together have 1 practice and have games that competitive and close.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:55 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
woody wrote:
massalsa wrote:

I am most surely an idiot. Masalsa asked my opinion so I gave it. Fully expecting to get ripped here. Let me restate I saw three kids in the limited sample clearly stand out two were from district 2 one was from district 3. One happened to be my daughter. I am very proud of her So if I blow her horn I don't see what is wrong with that. My opinion I might be wrong if I am so be it. I have been through this process before with older kids where I didn't blow their horn enough. Learn from history or doomed to repeat it. I do know this the sun will come up tomorrow, You family will always love you and there are 3 billion people in China that don't care what you think. for that case neither do I.
Actually your kid needs to back it up before you can blow her horn otherwise you look pretty stupid! That's something you seem to forget or for some reason don't understand. :oops: Don't get me wrong I think she is a decent goalie but far from elite at this point.

Also there is 1.4 billion people in China that don't care what I think. 3 billion would be twice the actual population of China. Maybe this type of exaggeration goes hand in hand for a guy like you. Kind of like the shot app you use on your phone. Gives your daughter 2 shots for every 1 shot actually faced. :lol:

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:58 pm

woody wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
woody wrote:
massalsa wrote:

Actually your kid needs to back it up before you can blow her horn otherwise you look pretty stupid! That's something you seem to forget or for some reason don't understand. :oops: Don't get me wrong I think she is a decent goalie but far from elite at this point.

Also there is 1.4 billion people in China that don't care what I think. 3 billion would be twice the actual population of China. Maybe this type of exaggeration goes hand in hand for a guy like you. Kind of like the shot app you use on your phone. Gives your daughter 2 shots for every 1 shot actually faced. :lol:
Wow great exchange going on here people!!... Woody welcome to the forum. This is obviously a subject you are passionate about and very well educated on!
I am actually knowledgeable about much you have mentioned and can not disagree with your posts ...
I would like to add a few things.. Zam driver IMO you did not do your older children a disservice by "not blowing their horn enough" and I guess that not blowing did not get them passed over for anything they deserved most likely... I must agree with Woody that bragging up your own child as a top player in the nation at veery young age comes off as a little over the top cocky and a little sad really in this format... When a player is in that category the parent needs not to "blow their horn" in places such as this forum or anywhere to advance their chances of success... Their skill-set and previous play and practice by them over the last couple years combined with input from HS/AAA coaches etc. on their upside in regards to their hockey IQ and coach-ability and overall personality DOES matter!.. USA and D1 scouts like to win and know what they are looking for to help their chances of accomplishing that as well...
I have personally seen good players actually be held back by overzealous parents with Rose Colored glasses and big megaphones.. I saw a goalie Dad in St Cloud a couple years ago (not from MN) stand behind his kid in net at National Camp every minute and he was so over the top animated and just plain nuts and really became a huge negative for her to anyone scouting her I'm sure. I'm sure he loves his daughter and thought she was supporting and helping her but think everyone else in the building thought YIKES..

Zamboni good luck to your daughter and I hope she keeps working hard and realizes her dreams in this great sport of ours someday! It is really up to her after all..

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 am

The HP thread is always good for some forum talk at this time of the year. The first year parents always provide some interesting posts. Typically, some posters are a little less informed about the process.

The Mn 15's process boils down to this:

Spring Fest 200 players
Summer Fest 102 players
then Nat Dev Camp

The U18( 16/17) process:
Spring Fest 160 players
Final 54 54 players
then Nat Camp

Previous years Mn Hky held a prep camp for all the Nat Dev camp invitees from Mn. They have eliminated it this year.

The National Dev Camps were changed 2 years ago. Previously, USA Hky held camp for 18's,15's,& 14's. Mn Hky didn't send kids to the 14's.

The Dev Camps were:
18's had 12 teams of 17 or 204 players
15's had 6 teams of 17 or 102 players
14's had 6 teams of 17 or 102 players

The 18's (16/17) would have their camp and at the end , 4 All-Star teams were chosen and played each other.

The change 2 years ago eliminated the 14's camp, DOUBLED the 15's camp to 216 players, and created the U18 Select 66 camp with 66 players.

These changes to the Nat Dev Camps have made it significantly EASIER to be invited to the 15's Camp . The 18 camp is still significantly tougher(though easier than previous years) since it is for 2 age groups instead of 1, with the 66 Camp being very tough

zd being one of the new parents has continually led the 02 cheerleading. It's great that he offers his opinion, giving others an opportunity to agree or disagree with HIS opinion ... An 02 goalie making the Select 66 camp seems very unlikely, at least the player would need to be in the top 6 in the Mn District( for all ages),and that would only apply if all 6 goalies at the Select 66 came from Mn. P.S. that's not going to happen .

A misconception of the kids from outside Mn continues to persist with out any facts to base it on...Many people like to use the number of Mn kids in D1 hockey to support their position of superiority.

Mn is very fortunate to have the number of rinks within its borders. This allows the state to have girls high school hockey with a large number of teams.(117 last year) This in turn allows girls to improve and some day maybe play college hockey.

There are 3 very distinct sources(leagues) of players for Div 1 players in the women's game. MSHSL, Tier 1, and Canada.

Last year's rosters in Div 1 were comprised :
Canada(40 teams) 316 players
Tier 1 (49 teams) 308 players
MSHSL (117 teams) 142 players
others (european, etc) 34 players

Heck, our WCHA has 109 (Tier 1, Canada) players and 78 MSHSL players

The Tier 1 players will be at the Nat Dev Camps also. Don't underestimate their abilities. The 98's & 99's of Mn are a fantastic group of players , but most have moved on to college, or have aged out of the Nat Dev Camps.

"National camp" is a big goal for all of the young players. If your kid makes any of the 3 Nat Dev Camps, make sure they enjoy the experience and remember to congratulate them.

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:31 am

woody wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
woody wrote:
massalsa wrote:

Pathetic Woody, but maybe she is already getting recruited by ND Fighting Hawks, good options there

woody

Post by woody » Mon May 15, 2017 1:55 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
massalsa wrote:

Three strikes for Zam!

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... ebsite.pdf

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm

woody wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
massalsa wrote:

Three strikes for Zam!

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... ebsite.pdf

Umm, I believe he got one correct - an 02 from D3.

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Tue May 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Very impressive list. MN always has a great showing at the camps. As always the question moves to who made the camp from the previous year. I know there are still spots to be filled but they are limited. As of now the 2000s have only 3 players making it that did not make it last year to 66s or St. Cloud. 2 goalies and 1 defense. This might be a big reason why numbers are decreasing at the tryouts as the girls get older.

Your thoughts?