Coaching Changes - 2017-18

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri May 19, 2017 7:05 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
BP wrote:Cloquet added to the list
who are the candidates??
I'm curious who will replace Esse. I guess I would think Brian Durand and Langenbrunner. Those 2 did a fine job with the boys as peewees and Bantams.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm

kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
who are the candidates??
I'm curious who will replace Esse. I guess I would think Brian Durand and Langenbrunner. Those 2 did a fine job with the boys as peewees and Bantams.
I would think the job should draw some interest from some big names. Tom Peart? Kevin Smalley? Any parents that would apply beside Langenbrunner and Durand?

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri May 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Upfan111 wrote:
kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
who are the candidates??
I would think the job should draw some interest from some big names. Tom Peart? Kevin Smalley? Any parents that would apply beside Langenbrunner and Durand?
I don't think so. I've filmed a lot of PeeWee aa and Bantam aa games over the last 4 years. Durand's boys are a soph and senior next winter. Langenbrunner boys junior and freshman.
Last edited by kniven on Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Upfan111 wrote:
kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
who are the candidates??
I don't think so. I've filmed a lot of PeeWee aa and Bantam aa games over the last 4 years. Durand's boys are a soph and senior next winter. Langenbrunner boys junior and freshman.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Is it possible a Cloquet legend takes over the team? I'm not talking about Langenbrunner, what about Millen?

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Upfan111 wrote:Is it possible a Cloquet legend takes over the team? I'm not talking about Langenbrunner, what about Millen?
Millen spent 3 years in Cloquet before this winter managing the Wilderness. He's in Mpls working for the gopher hockey team.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 pm

kniven wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:Is it possible a Cloquet legend takes over the team? I'm not talking about Langenbrunner, what about Millen?
Millen spent 3 years in Cloquet before this winter managing the Wilderness. He's in Mpls working for the gopher hockey team.
I talked to him at a Gopher game this winter. Finished up his degree, have not heard that from him but a heck of a candidate, won in the NAHL well known and respected esp in his hometown, I would say its his if he wants it.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 pm

kniven wrote:
And finishing his degree at the U of M.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
I talked to him at a Gopher game this winter. Finished up his degree, have not heard that from him but a heck of a candidate, won in the NAHL well known and respected esp in his hometown, I would say its his if he wants it.
Well, I sure can't wait to hear who going to lead this team this winter.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sat May 20, 2017 9:02 am

Kniven, do you know if JL15 is taking over?

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 am

Slammer wrote:Kniven, do you know if JL15 is taking over?
I haven't heard slammer. Pretty quiet around here. I'm filming the Cloquet vs. Esko HS baseball game on Tuesday for the kids. Maybe I'll talk to someone then.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat May 20, 2017 11:52 am

Millen would be a great hire if his situation with the Gophers isn't an obstacle. Some experience as a head coach, local legend, and no doubt it will be him running the ship. Any other legacy names who are possibilities out there? (Derek Plante, I suppose, but there's been no real indication he's looking to get back into coaching since he left his position at UMD.)

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 pm

karl(east) wrote:Millen would be a great hire if his situation with the Gophers isn't an obstacle. Some experience as a head coach, local legend, and no doubt it will be him running the ship. Any other legacy names who are possibilities out there? (Derek Plante, I suppose, but there's been no real indication he's looking to get back into coaching since he left his position at UMD.)
I guess if I had to pick the next head coach, my pick would be Brian Durand.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat May 20, 2017 1:49 pm

karl(east) wrote:Millen would be a great hire if his situation with the Gophers isn't an obstacle. Some experience as a head coach, local legend, and no doubt it will be him running the ship. Any other legacy names who are possibilities out there? (Derek Plante, I suppose, but there's been no real indication he's looking to get back into coaching since he left his position at UMD.)
I guess if I had to vote next head coach, my vote would be Brian Durand. Again...I am an idiot and nobody gives a San Kinison what I think. Just a fan who knows the program pretty well since 2012-2013. Ps. Actually I've gone to every single game, home and away since 2009-2010. Nobody new me though. I've pretty much been addicted to CEC Lumberjack hockey and the kids for some time. :)

BP

Post by BP » Sat May 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Corey finished his degree. He won't be the next Gophs Asst. Just a volunteer. He'd need a job to pay the bills, so unless Cloquet has a job for him, he's out. But a solid pick. My thoughts are if Esse was run out, then they have someone in mind. It won't be Derek Plante, unless he moves. His kids are coming up through Hermantown and will be in HS in the coming years. If JL doesn't get the job, does his kid leave? Do others leave? Crazy deal up there. Sad that Dave was forced to quit.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sat May 20, 2017 5:23 pm

I heard through the grapevine at the bar that Jamie is going to be the next coach. Seems like the only logical reason Dave was run out of town.

Going to be an interesting couple years in 7AA if it's true
Last edited by Slammer on Sat May 20, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat May 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Slammer wrote:I heard through the grapevine at the bar that Jamie is going to be the next coach. Seems like the only logical reason Dave was run out of town.

Going to be an interesting couple years in 7AA
It will be interesting to see if any of the talented Bantam player(s) brought up early? Last year, CEC Bantam AA's only played maybe 25 games.

And. There is so much talent in this years junior and sophomore classes. It will be interesting to see how many seniors make the team this winter. A person could argue that there has never been this much talent from top to bottom ever in this programs history.

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Sat May 20, 2017 11:53 pm

This will be the Elks year. Great players and coach is loved and respected. East will be East. Lumberjacks don't have a chance with new coach and all the bs. GR will fall apart and come back to earth. Andover will hang tough. Should be another fun year of puck in 7AA. Kniven keep your head up! Sun will rise tomorrow and we all have Hockey to look forward to.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun May 21, 2017 12:05 am

Would JLs position in the NHL make it difficult for him to actually be the head coach? It's one thing for an assistant coach to miss some games....... Would it be more complicated for the head coach to miss some games?

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun May 21, 2017 2:11 am

wolfman wrote:This will be the Elks year. Great players and coach is loved and respected. East will be East. Lumberjacks don't have a chance with new coach and all the bs. GR will fall apart and come back to earth. Andover will hang tough. Should be another fun year of puck in 7AA. Kniven keep your head up! Sun will rise tomorrow and we all have Hockey to look forward to.
Thanks wolfman. I appreciate it ! :)

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 am

wolfman wrote:This will be the Elks year. Great players and coach is loved and respected. East will be East. Lumberjacks don't have a chance with new coach and all the bs. GR will fall apart and come back to earth. Andover will hang tough. Should be another fun year of puck in 7AA. Kniven keep your head up! Sun will rise tomorrow and we all have Hockey to look forward to.
This is at least the third year in a row that it is the Elk's year. Their epic collapses the last two years don't inspire a lot of confidence. I bought into that thinking the last two years and I'm not buying into this upcoming year. Come tournament time it will be East, Rapids, Elk River, Cloquet and Marshall or Andover. Elk River would like to see Hermantown opt as bad as the Range schools would and then hope they get reassigned instead of Andover.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 am

hahaha. Wolf. At least your consistently loyal to Elk, you have that going for you. What Raider said, Another top finish in regular season, another loss in playoffs; boys and girls programs must work very closely together.

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 am

BP wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:Kniven, am I reading something between the lines with your post? Might you become a Hawks fan of sorts and could this be the move to get Hermantown to play big boy hockey? Would be awesome to see Esse stay in 7AA.
It would be a shock if Pat Andrews isn't the new coach in Hermantown. Not sure what's taking so long.

Zero chance that Esse coaches at Hermantown. Their mindset is the exact opposite of his. They will not be playing big boy hockey any time soon.
I believe the Hermantown position closed before Esse resigned. If not, it could've been interesting...but, yes, I doubt Esse would've taken that job without certain assurances.
Rumor is a big stud is transferring into Hermantown next year as a 9th grader? Hawkey - any rumor to that?
Haven't heard that rumor. He would have to play Bantams if he did unless Andrews goes off script…which I would doubt.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Sun May 21, 2017 11:52 am

kniven wrote:
Slammer wrote:I heard through the grapevine at the bar that Jamie is going to be the next coach. Seems like the only logical reason Dave was run out of town.

It will be interesting to see if any of the talented Bantam player(s) brought up early? Last year, CEC Bantam AA's only played maybe 25 games.

And. There is so much talent in this years junior and sophomore classes. It will be interesting to see how many seniors make the team this winter. A person could argue that there has never been this much talent from top to bottom ever in this programs history.
Thought you had given up on Cloquet?? Still trying to make sense on your bully rambling

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun May 21, 2017 12:33 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:

Thought you had given up on Cloquet?? Still trying to make sense on your bully rambling
I love you spoiler fan!