Blake vs Edina - The real Girls HS Champion

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thegreatone99

Blake vs Edina - The real Girls HS Champion

Post by thegreatone99 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:05 pm

If both Blake and Edina win today, this would make Blake the unanimous girls HS champion regardless of class. They beat Edina 2-1 this year.

MNHockeyFan

Re: Blake vs Edina - The real Girls HS Champion

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:41 pm

thegreatone99 wrote:If both Blake and Edina win today, this would make Blake the unanimous girls HS champion regardless of class. They beat Edina 2-1 this year.
Nice try!

thegreatone99

Re: Blake vs Edina - The real Girls HS Champion

Post by thegreatone99 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:41 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote:If both Blake and Edina win today, this would make Blake the unanimous girls HS champion regardless of class. They beat Edina 2-1 this year.
Nice try!
I think you need to delete this post like your last one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Blake girls team best in state.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:48 am

wolfman wrote:Blake girls team best in state.
If they played one another again I would put my money on Edina. Watching both tourneys all the way through, Edina was the deeper and more talented team, having no weaknesses top to bottom. Of course Blake was an excellent team as well, but until they step up and play with the big girls they cannot lay claim to being this year's overall State Champ. Simply put, to be dominant at AA is more impressive than being dominate at A.

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:57 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
If they played one another again I would put my money on Edina. Watching both tourneys all the way through, Edina was the deeper and more talented team, having no weaknesses top to bottom. Of course Blake was an excellent team as well, but until they step up and play with the big girls they cannot lay claim to being this year's overall State Champ. Simply put, to be dominant at AA is more impressive than being dominate at A.
Well, Blake did beat them in the regular season. Though I do agree with everything you said.

goaline

Post by goaline » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:53 am

The shots were 24-11 Hornets and all the goals scored in the game were PP... More like Bizal was better than Goldstein that day... You don't know hockey if you think Blake is a deeper, more skilled and complete hockey team. Next year? I'd give the early nod to Blake

LZ94 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Well, Blake did beat them in the regular season. Though I do agree with everything you said.

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:48 am

Interesting that two schools with probably the most resources and financial means for development both won championships.

Appears like the boys side, girls hockey is on its way to becoming too expensive for the majority of teams to compete at the higher levels.

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 pm

I would be pretty certain that if we were able to add up all costs for training over the lifetime of all HS players and teams - those two teams would be at or near the top.

LSQRANK

Post by LSQRANK » Mon May 29, 2017 11:34 am

goaline wrote:The shots were 24-11 Hornets and all the goals scored in the game were PP... More like Bizal was better than Goldstein that day... You don't know hockey if you think Blake is a deeper, more skilled and complete hockey team. Next year? I'd give the early nod to Blake

LZ94 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Here is a link to a paper that explains how some rating systems are computed and how to use those ratings to statistically test the quality of one team against another.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ckey_teams

see pages 25 - 28 which has a numerical example that compares Blake to Edina

enjoy

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Tue May 30, 2017 6:34 pm

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:42 pm

LSQRANK wrote:
goaline wrote:The shots were 24-11 Hornets and all the goals scored in the game were PP... More like Bizal was better than Goldstein that day... You don't know hockey if you think Blake is a deeper, more skilled and complete hockey team. Next year? I'd give the early nod to Blake

LZ94 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Here is a link to a paper that explains how some rating systems are computed and how to use those ratings to statistically test the quality of one team against another.

enjoy
Thank goodness they do not play the game in math class, with your statistical bias, it does not matter what happens on the ice head-to-head does it. One question I have for you that is simple, who won when Blake played Edina this year at Edina's home rink?
And you actually received credit for this paper, wow what they teach in school these days.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:07 pm

thegreatone99 wrote:
LSQRANK wrote:

LZ94 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

enjoy
Thank goodness they do not play the game in math class, with your statistical bias, it does not matter what happens on the ice head-to-head does it. One question I have for you that is simple, who won when Blake played Edina this year at Edina's home rink?
And you actually received credit for this paper, wow what they teach in school these days.
Ha! I would be very interested in your reasoning for bashing his analysis other than "I don't like the result". My money is on the fact that you couldn't follow a single thing going on in the paper and just skimmed to the results, which you did not like.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:44 pm

thegreatone99 wrote:[Thank goodness they do not play the game in math class, with your statistical bias, it does not matter what happens on the ice head-to-head does it. One question I have for you that is simple, who won when Blake played Edina this year at Edina's home rink?
Head to head results do matter. They just don't matter any more than a victory against a another team of equal quality. Victories against good teams mean more than victories against weak teams. Statistically it doesn't matter who you play, just how good they are.

I'm happy Blake opted up. They are good enough to play in the AA tournament. I hope not making it through sections doesn't hurt their hockey program.