Futures/Prospects

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mavs

Futures/Prospects

Post by Mavs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Any commitments or offers surface from the last one?

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 pm

No idea on your question but here is the list of who was in town (from the website but it is down now):

RPI
Yale
U of M
Union
Cornell
Minn State
BU
Fabian (used to be at UND now rumor is at OSU)
Colgate
Bemidji
Minn State
Minn State
U of M
Connecticut
RIT
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Harvard
OSU
Brown
St Cloud
Providence
Bemidji
Dartmouth

* If teams were mentioned more than 1x then there was more than 1 representative/coach. Supposedly 24 coaches from 19 schools and 4 conferences.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Most of the benches I saw had 2 reps from different schools on each bench. I did not see ANY coaches watching or coaching the "3v3".

Heard from someone that a coach or coaches asked for it...

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:35 am

Not exactly why I just thought of this but thinking about the great group of Andover kids coming up when thinking Futures and had me peeking ahead a couple of years. We may have some epic sections.

Andover, Brainerd, Roseau, Stillwater, Forest Lake, Minnetonka all have some really good young groups. Some (like Forest Lake) will be good now, while others like Andover, Brainerd, Stillwater might be a couple of years away. How great will these sections battles be in a couple of years?

Forest Lake vs Andover- could be epic
Blake vs Edina vs Cretin- wow
Hill Murray vs Stillwater
Minnetonka vs Eden Prairie
Brainerd vs Roseau
Eagan?
Lakeville South?
North Wright County?

Not to get ahead of ourselves but those first two sections I mentioned, wow will they be fun to watch in the coming years. Forest Lake may have it easy this coming year in sections but after that Andover is coming and it could be epic every year. The Edina, Blake and Cretin section will be great every year starting this year. Section finals could be every bit as difficult as the state title game.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 am

Is it just me or did a lot of the teams and games seem a step down talent wise from last year? Is the program getting so big the talent is becoming watered down? Don't get me wrong, tons of high end talent and still an amazing program and opportunity. Curious what you guys think. Just my opinion.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:14 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Is it just me or did a lot of the teams and games seem a step down talent wise from last year? Is the program getting so big the talent is becoming watered down? Don't get me wrong, tons of high end talent and still an amazing program and opportunity. Curious what you guys think. Just my opinion.
Very few stand out. Could it just be the depth is getting so good that the top end can no longer dominate? Spreading the talent out more? not sure

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Mavs wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Is it just me or did a lot of the teams and games seem a step down talent wise from last year? Is the program getting so big the talent is becoming watered down? Don't get me wrong, tons of high end talent and still an amazing program and opportunity. Curious what you guys think. Just my opinion.
Very few stand out. Could it just be the depth is getting so good that the top end can no longer dominate? Spreading the talent out more? not sure
I feel the talent is not as good as it has been in the past 2-3 years. You have some standouts but nothing like you had in the 98s, 99s and 00s. As we move forward we need to watch the MNs that make the USA team like in the past.

Also with USA hockey changing big rules in youth hockey I find it hard to believe we will continue to grow like before. The newest one below.

http://mihockeynow.com/2017/06/usa-hock ... n-numbers/

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:19 am

IceHiker wrote:
Mavs wrote:
I feel the talent is not as good as it has been in the past 2-3 years. You have some standouts but nothing like you had in the 98s, 99s and 00s. As we move forward we need to watch the MNs that make the USA team like in the past.
I'm going to agree with most of this, but qualify it...I believe the talent is there with the 00's and 01's and more of it, BUT, not the high end. Zums being the last of the high end standard. Still, lots of really really strong talent and really really deep...but the explosive players are missing in this age group. From what I've seen, there isn't much of a drop off from the middle kid (who has already committed) to the bottom kid.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 am

Hansonbrother wrote:
IceHiker wrote:
Mavs wrote:
I'm going to agree with most of this, but qualify it...I believe the talent is there with the 00's and 01's and more of it, BUT, not the high end. Zums being the last of the high end standard. Still, lots of really really strong talent and really really deep...but the explosive players are missing in this age group. From what I've seen, there isn't much of a drop off from the middle kid (who has already committed) to the bottom kid.
I disagree with 00's not having very high end players. If you watched Taylor Heise play this weekend and not consider her on the high end of high end I feel you would be mistaken. She has every tool in the tool box. I expect her to be a U18 USA Captain this year and MN Ms Hockey as well if it is a forward. She is an amazing two way every shift player with off the charts hockey IQ and creativity. I think there are several other high end forwards including Kenzie Hauswirth and a very deep class of D in the 00 group. (Better and deeper D class than 98 or 99 IMO) The 00 goalie class has 3 goalies in Maine this year which is record. 00 could be best/deepest goalie class ever in MN. I expect many 00 MN girls to be very successful at the D1 level.
It is very well known by many including college scouts that as of today the 01 class is considered to have less blue chippers than the previous couple years. You can see some of this as well by the current list of committed players and seeing some top schools taking fewer players to date from 2019 Class and taking as many 2020's as of now.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am

Heise who?
Last edited by woody on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am

AAA Dad wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
IceHiker wrote:
Mavs wrote:
I disagree with 00's not having very high end players. If you watched Taylor Heise play this weekend and not consider her on the high end of high end I feel you would be mistaken. She has every tool in the tool box. I expect her to be a U18 USA Captain this year and MN Ms Hockey as well if it is a forward. She is an amazing two way every shift player with off the charts hockey IQ and creativity. I think there are several other high end forwards including Kenzie Hauswirth and a very deep class of D in the 00 group. (Better and deeper D class than 98 or 99 IMO) The 00 goalie class has 3 goalies in Maine this year which is record. 00 could be best/deepest goalie class ever in MN. I expect many 00 MN girls to be very successful at the D1 level.
It is very well known by many including college scouts that as of today the 01 class is considered to have less blue chippers than the previous couple years. You can see some of this as well by the current list of committed players and seeing some top schools taking fewer players to date from 2019 Class and taking as many 2020's as of now.
Well said AAA! You forgot to mention the two other girls that will be 3rd year returners for the U18 USA squad and possible captains as well. If you don't consider Wethington and Ostertag to be elite you don't have much of a hockey IQ. I find it comical how people only think of offense stars when it comes to high end standouts!

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 pm

woody wrote:
AAA Dad wrote: I disagree with 00's not having very high end players. If you watched Taylor Heise play this weekend and not consider her on the high end of high end I feel you would be mistaken. She has every tool in the tool box. I expect her to be a U18 USA Captain this year and MN Ms Hockey as well if it is a forward. She is an amazing two way every shift player with off the charts hockey IQ and creativity. I think there are several other high end forwards including Kenzie Hauswirth and a very deep class of D in the 00 group. (Better and deeper D class than 98 or 99 IMO) The 00 goalie class has 3 goalies in Maine this year which is record. 00 could be best/deepest goalie class ever in MN. I expect many 00 MN girls to be very successful at the D1 level.
Well said AAA! You forgot to mention the two other girls that will be 3rd year returners for the U18 USA squad and possible captains as well. If you don't consider Wethington and Ostertag to be elite you don't have much of a hockey IQ. I find it comical how people only think of offense stars when it comes to high end standouts!
Both of you are correct. The depth of talent at the 2000 level is higher than the 2001 and 2002 combined when it comes to hockey talent in all positions. Once again, there are very talented players at that 2001 and 2002 level but not as many as the 2000 level. If you truly watch a game non-biased you will agree.

Today is the day MN Hockey selects the remaining athletes for the 16/17 National Camp. I wonder how some college coaches feel when their committed scholarship athletes do not make the MN list. Can the recruiters be that far off or does MN Hockey notice something different in all those players?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:33 pm

IceHiker wrote:Today is the day MN Hockey selects the remaining athletes for the 16/17 National Camp. I wonder how some college coaches feel when their committed scholarship athletes do not make the MN list. Can the recruiters be that far off or does MN Hockey notice something different in all those players?
There's only so many National Camp spots available to MN girls, so there's always going to be some disappointed college coaches whose recruits are not selected.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:53 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
IceHiker wrote:Today is the day MN Hockey selects the remaining athletes for the 16/17 National Camp. I wonder how some college coaches feel when their committed scholarship athletes do not make the MN list. Can the recruiters be that far off or does MN Hockey notice something different in all those players?
There's only so many National Camp spots available to MN girls, so there's always going to be some disappointed college coaches whose recruits are not selected.
- or maybe its just depth in the position itself. It could just mean the one chosen won the coin toss so to speak. But that's assuming there is no biased built in the system over the years to begin with. Though I'm sure that doesn't ever happen much anymore...

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:44 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
- or maybe its just depth in the position itself. It could just mean the one chosen won the coin toss so to speak. But that's assuming there is no biased built in the system over the years to begin with. Though I'm sure that doesn't ever happen much anymore...
" 3 goalies 00 class could be best/deepest goalie class ever in MN. " Stick to the forwards when your giving your delusions for everyone to read. But I think I would tone it down a little on the goalie statement. I literally laughed out loud on that one...no disrespect meant by the way.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:19 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

" 3 goalies 00 class could be best/deepest goalie class ever in MN. " Stick to the forwards when your giving your delusions for everyone to read. But I think I would tone it down a little on the goalie statement. I literally laughed out loud on that one...no disrespect meant by the way.
Don't know about the deepest, but, fair to say that Mn placed 4 out of 6 goalies at the Select-66 camp is noteworthy. 3 out of the 4 being 00 birth year. Mn has never been a producer of goalies at D-1 . The state has been producing goalies at a historical rate of 3/yr. In the years before the Select-66 camp, when USA hockey chose all-star teams at national camp, Mn didn't fare well in the goalie selections.

3 of the 4 Mn goalies at the camp are 2019 grads...The 2019 class of goalies is where the depth appears to be the deepest. That class will probably produce 6-7 D1 goalies. 4 are already committed and 3 others are getting strong interest. It notable that the Select-66 camp has only 1 goalie with a 01 birth year and the other 5 are 00's.

woody

Post by woody » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Please point out the last time 3 MN goalies from the same birth year have been in the final stages of USA Development Program at the same time. I don't know of any does anyone else? Another example to back AAA's so said delusion statement. Take a look back at the senior goalie of the year award. Out of the top 10 finalist most of the time there is 2 or 3 goalies at the most that have committed D1. Like stated before by nu2hockey. 19 class has 4 D1 commits already and 3 of them are 00's. There will most likely be 2 or 3 more 00's taken by D1 programs before it is all said and done. So in other words do some research before you express your nonfactual opinions. You must of been laughing out loud at yourself and your own delusions. No disrespect though buddy!

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 am

Another thing to notice....the MSHSL has 10 goalies participating in one or the other of the U-18 camps. I doubt that has occurred before, but, I could be wrong. Plus a committed goalie is not participating.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 pm

According to "Neural Zone" (the amateur hockey player ranking website which is becoming the clear leader in doing this nationally) it appears that future graduation MN HS classes continue to improve. I know some on this forum have said that the high end talent has faded after the last graduating class or 2 have left so I thought I would confirm my own thoughts that the class to come has just as much 'high end talent" by National rankings.

Per Neutral Zone National Ranking numbers.

2017 Top 5 (1) Top 10 (2) Top15 (3) Top 25 (3) Top 50 (14) Top 100 (19)

2018 Top 5 (3) Top 10 (5) Top 15 (7) Top 25 (10)Top 50 (16) Top 100 (23)

2019 Top 5 (2) Top 10 (3) Top 15 (4) Top 25 (6)

(2019 list is early list of 30 where MN has 7 in top 26)

*These rankings are not just National rankings but include Canadian players so really are North American rankings.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:46 pm

AAA Dad wrote:According to "Neural Zone" (the amateur hockey player ranking website which is becoming the clear leader in doing this nationally) it appears that future graduation MN HS classes continue to improve. I know some on this forum have said that the high end talent has faded after the last graduating class or 2 have left so I thought I would confirm my own thoughts that the class to come has just as much 'high end talent" by National rankings.

*These rankings are not just National rankings but include Canadian players so really are North American rankings.
Would you mind posting a link to the website? I'm curious.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
AAA Dad wrote:According to "Neural Zone" (the amateur hockey player ranking website which is becoming the clear leader in doing this nationally) it appears that future graduation MN HS classes continue to improve. I know some on this forum have said that the high end talent has faded after the last graduating class or 2 have left so I thought I would confirm my own thoughts that the class to come has just as much 'high end talent" by National rankings.

Would you mind posting a link to the website? I'm curious.
NeutralZone.net
Membership is $120 per year if you want all the in-depth ranking of players and of college recruiting classes by year and other coverage for both boys and girls armatures. Otherwise they present some free articles.