Select 66 Camp

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

IceHiker

Select 66 Camp

Post by IceHiker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:39 am

Anyone not out East for the Select 66 Camp can watch the games on USA HockeyTV.

https://usahockey.hockeytv.com/#/

First day was entertaining. The MN girls on Team White had a good day while the other girls combined for 0 points. Fun to watch the girls we don't get to see in the regular season. The talent of players is growing outside of MN at this level.

Now to see who has the off ice strength and conditioning edge out there.

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Anyone get the chance to watch the games from yesterday. Good action with a couple MN girls showing their talent. MN not as strong as the past years at the U-18 Select Camp. Strange to see this with all the D1 commits from this age group. Maybe MN Hockey needs to send some 'new blood' to the USA Camps for more development. Hope to see a MN talent fest tomorrow.

Listed are the points leaders from the first 2 games. Few stud 2001 and a 2002 crack the top list. Couple MN girls with 1 point.

Rank Name Team Points District Year
1 Hannah Bilka Blue 4 Rocky Mtn. 2001
2 Haylee Blinkhorn White 3 Minnesota 2000
3 Abigail Boreen Blue 2 Central 2000
3 Lauren DeBlois Blue 2 New England 2000
3 Olivia Finocchiaro White 2 Massachusetts 2000
3 Danielle Hartje Gold 2 Michigan 2001
3 Kaitlyn Kaufman Blue 2 Minnesota 2001
3 Abbey Murphy Blue 2 Central 2002
3 Mya Neugent Gold 2 Central 2001
3 Dominique Petrie Red 2 Pacific 2001
3 Emma Sietz Red 2 New York 2000

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 am

For those of us that follow the MN girls throughout the process here is a recap on performance.

3 MN girls in the top 10 points, 2 - 2001 and only 1 - 2000.

The girls from out East performed very well with the off-Ice strength and conditioning.

My opinion the MN 00s players performed better last year at this camp as the younger players. Also, the MN 99s last year were very dominate both on and off ice.

To my surprise and many others our MN committed D1 players did not perform to the expectation of coaches and scouts. And with full ride commits sitting this camp out at home.

Big Thank You to USA Hockey for continue the tradition of Hockey in the USA. For 40 years they have gathered the top players in the country for a fun weekend of hockey. As one of the few that participated in the early years I appreciate the time and efforts.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:55 am

Is the USA U18 team selected from this camp? If so when is the roster made public?

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:Is the USA U18 team selected from this camp? If so when is the roster made public?
USA Hockey will take 33 players to Lake Placid in Aug , with 22 of those chosen to play a series against Canada...they may adjust by 1 or 2 players but those 22 become the U18 national team

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:00 am

IceHiker wrote:For those of us that follow the MN girls throughout the process here is a recap on performance.

The girls from out East performed very well with the off-Ice strength and conditioning.

My opinion the MN 00s players performed better last year at this camp as the younger players. Also, the MN 99s last year were very dominate both on and off ice.

To my surprise and many others our MN committed D1 players did not perform to the expectation of coaches and scouts. And with full ride commits sitting this camp out at home.

Big Thank You to USA Hockey for continue the tradition of Hockey in the USA. For 40 years they have gathered the top players in the country for a fun weekend of hockey. As one of the few that participated in the early years I appreciate the time and efforts.
Big Thank You for your in-depth opinion piece on poor performance of MN girls. ](*,)

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:55 am

AAA Dad wrote: Big Thank You for your in-depth opinion piece on poor performance of MN girls. ](*,)
First off, I will not call out a specific player with regards to individual play. I believe that is one of the main rules of this board and I will follow that.

-- 2. No negative attacks or name calling --

Are you asking me to sugarcoat the results and give more false hope to players? Sorry, but that will not happen. I will give credit when it is earned and a few players from MN earned that. They are the ones that played strong, worked hard off ice and showed up on the ice to play. Many others looked to have something given to them instead of working for it. Many others forgot that the game is a 2 way street and not just a race to the other end.

Please give us your opinion of the week. I am always open to new views and ideas, unlike others on this forum. Please don't if you did not watch all the games. That would be unfair to ALL the players.

And don't worry, you will not hurt this tired old player. Been around far too long for that.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:26 am

IceHiker wrote:
AAA Dad wrote: Big Thank You for your in-depth opinion piece on poor performance of MN girls. ](*,)
First off, I will not call out a specific player with regards to individual play. I believe that is one of the main rules of this board and I will follow that.

Are you asking me to sugarcoat the results and give more false hope to players? Sorry, but that will not happen. I will give credit when it is earned and a few players from MN earned that. They are the ones that played strong, worked hard off ice and showed up on the ice to play. Many others looked to have something given to them instead of working for it. Many others forgot that the game is a 2 way street and not just a race to the other end.

Please give us your opinion of the week. I am always open to new views and ideas, unlike others on this forum. Please don't if you did not watch all the games. That would be unfair to ALL the players.

And don't worry, you will not hurt this tired old player. Been around far too long for that.
The girls from out East performed very well with the off-Ice strength and conditioning is a very interesting comment! I'm not sure how you would know this information. Please enlighten us with your source of such great knowledge.

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:48 am

woody wrote: The girls from out East performed very well with the off-Ice strength and conditioning is a very interesting comment! I'm not sure how you would know this information. Please enlighten us with your source of such great knowledge.
Everything and I mean everything is documented very well at this Camp. If you were not out there (or know someone that was there) you would not know this information. There is also printed documentation that is sent to all college scouts that request it. The 'Book' on each player you hear so much about.

All players are tested the same and put through the same workouts. From there the players are rated. This happens at all the USA Camps and the staff keeps records back on each player.

The one thing I would like to see for ALL MN players is a more rounded off-ice program. Lower leg strength is great but quick sprints, change of direction and upper body is also a big component more girls lack.

What else would you like to know? I will not reveal the information source.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:08 pm

IceHiker wrote:

If you list points as poor performance which no scout or coach would go for it buddy.

I watched pretty much all games.
Your opinion of underperforming MN girls which supposedly "scouts and coaches agreed with" should be questioned.

Please list your off ice stats in which you determined the East did so well.
Please list +/- of players , shots, scoring chances, blocked shots, face offs won, winning races and possessions of loose pucks, back checking, smart positioning and movement away from the puck and good decisions with the puck which all go into USA Hockey and any scout's evaluation of a player.

Apparently you feel USA Hockey left a lot of great "full ride" talent at home this year. I trust USA (winner of 3 straight Gold Medals) assembled a great group and will advance the right players because they know what they are doing despite the constant whining and second guessing of many.

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:29 pm

AAA Dad wrote: If you list points as poor performance which no scout or coach would go for it buddy.

Your opinion of underperforming MN girls which supposedly "scouts and coaches agreed with" should be questioned.

Please list +/- of players , shots, scoring chances, blocked shots, face offs won, winning races and possessions of loose pucks, back checking, smart positioning and movement away from the puck and good decisions with the puck which all go into USA Hockey and any scout's evaluation of a player.

Apparently you feel USA Hockey left a lot of great "full ride" talent at home this year. I trust USA (winner of 3 straight Gold Medals) assembled a great group and will advance the right players because they know what they are doing despite the constant whining and second guessing of many.
I would never call 'points' the end of all evaluations, but we all know the players with the top points get recognized. To add, I never listed points as a performance indicator just as a week total as does USA Hockey.

USA Hockey does not make the selections for the Camp, MN Hockey does. And yes there were some very talented players still in MN. Do I feel they should have been there - Not my call - and per other threads most can agree many could have been interchanged without much notice. Hence the 'points' getting more recognition to move on to the next round.

You are correct with the consistent whining of many. Most don't add constructive information to the conversation. But only question others. USA Hockey does produce great talent and I have always agreed with that. It will be interesting to see the players they select this year (as I stated in an earlier post).

I am also happy to see you were watching the games out East. Would love to hear your opinion on the players from MN and their performances. Did you talk to the college coaches / scouts that were there? They always have an interesting outlook on the incoming players. Their views always seem to interest me.

In the end I feel we all want the same thing, for MN hockey to continue to grow. With the way MN Hockey is currently headed I feel that will be harder than in the past. But that is another thread to be had.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 pm

IceHiker wrote:
AAA Dad wrote: If you list points as poor performance which no scout or coach would go for it buddy.

I would never call 'points' the end of all evaluations, but we all know the players with the top points get recognized. To add, I never listed points as a performance indicator just as a week total as does USA Hockey.

USA Hockey does not make the selections for the Camp, MN Hockey does. And yes there were some very talented players still in MN. Do I feel they should have been there - Not my call - and per other threads most can agree many could have been interchanged without much notice. Hence the 'points' getting more recognition to move on to the next round.

You are correct with the consistent whining of many. Most don't add constructive information to the conversation. But only question others. USA Hockey does produce great talent and I have always agreed with that. It will be interesting to see the players they select this year (as I stated in an earlier post).

I am also happy to see you were watching the games out East. Would love to hear your opinion on the players from MN and their performances. Did you talk to the college coaches / scouts that were there? They always have an interesting outlook on the incoming players. Their views always seem to interest me.

In the end I feel we all want the same thing, for MN hockey to continue to grow. With the way MN Hockey is currently headed I feel that will be harder than in the past. But that is another thread to be had.
MN Hockey going down destructive road Ice ?? please inform us with a blueprint they should follow for future success they are to incompetent to understand!??

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:27 pm

IceHiker wrote:For those of us that follow the MN girls throughout the process here is a recap on performance.

IceHiker may be more in the know than folks on this thread have given him credit for regarding the MN players with only 13 MN girls including 1 from Shattuck out of 31 selectees.

Other observations:

5 Shattuck
19 00's (10 MN including the HM student from WI), 9 01's (2 MN), and 3 02's (1 MN)
7 Gophers
2 Hill Murray & 2 White Bear Lakers
1/5 Blakers (that made 66)
4 Non committed (at least at first glance comparing to college commits site)
Looks like Wisconsin, Harvard, BC, and UMD each had several players.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/ ... 017-roster

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Also only 1 2001 that appears to be in the HS class of 2020. All 3 2002's are expected to graduate in 2020.

Only 1/4 MN goalies at camp made the cut. 6 total goalies at 66.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 am

massalsa wrote:

IceHiker may be more in the know than folks on this thread have given him credit for regarding the MN players with only 13 MN girls including 1 from Shattuck out of 31 selectees.

Other observations:

5 Shattuck
19 00's (10 MN including the HM student from WI), 9 01's (2 MN), and 3 02's (1 MN)
7 Gophers
2 Hill Murray & 2 White Bear Lakers
1/5 Blakers (that made 66)
4 Non committed (at least at first glance comparing to college commits site)
Looks like Wisconsin, Harvard, BC, and UMD each had several players.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/ ... 017-roster
12 from MN
4 from Mass
2 IL
2 PA
2 TX
1 NY
1 Wis
1 ND
1 MA
1 Cal
1 Ohio
1 NJ
1 MO
1 Mich

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Some analysis on the National festival selected group and some final team predictions by SBNation.
https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/womens ... r-analysis

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 am

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/3565037

10/22 from MN (including 1 SSM).

A player who played D to make it all the way to camp made it as a F.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:41 pm

massalsa wrote:http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/3565037

10/22 from MN (including 1 SSM).

A player who played D to make it all the way to camp made it as a F.
Great MN presence.. Only 1 less MN player than last year. The MN 99 forwards were the story last year and the MN 2000 D are the story this year.

Also Congrats to the MN goalie for making the team! 1st one since 2009!

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:21 pm

AAA Dad wrote:
Congrats to the goalie (and congrats to White Bear Lake with 2 on the team!) but the last goalie was in 2013/2014.

http://www.usawomenshockey.com/page/sho ... rin-o-neil

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:37 pm

massalsa wrote:
AAA Dad wrote:
Congrats to the goalie (and congrats to White Bear Lake with 2 on the team!) but the last goalie was in 2013/2014.

http://www.usawomenshockey.com/page/sho ... rin-o-neil
I received bad intel from someone I trusted
Ok 2nd since 09 and 3rd ever?? :oops: :oops: :oops: