Elite player to HT , continued

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Elite player to HT , continued

Post by WestMetro » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 pm

The other thread is locked. So , to continue it....had my first look at Joey Pierce today when the Northstars played the talent loaded Kings. Really like this kid, and agree with BP and MWS that he will be able to contribute big time to varsity as ninth grader against tough statewide competition. My first thought was- another 8th/9th grade Dman with potential of Ben Brinkman or Mikey Anderson . Like his size and aggressiveness. Also, Kid is not afraid to shoot the puck and has a strong shot whether it be a wrister, slapper, or one timer, with no whiffs entire game under heavy pressure and traffic. Could be a little more selective on shots , but you have to like his offensive transition and aggressiveness. Good footwork and first strides both directions. Protected his zone pretty well, although he did get beat once or twice by Kings talented forwards; on the other hand he instinctively backed up his partner a couple times when he blew coverage on the opposite side of the rink. All in all, I was as excited about him as anybody on North stars, although I will say I wish Parker and Helgeson were playing on the Minnesota side of the border instead of North Dakota.

As always, a fun time watching the Bantam Elites

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 pm

After reading that, I thought you were describing how I played when I was in 9th grade

Why didn't I get a scholarship?

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:12 am

Landon Parker plays for EGF........not Grand Forks FWIW. He does play in MN

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 am

Good catch 8, sorry bout that

What happened to Jeffy post , Karl police force?

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm

WestMetro wrote:Good catch 8, sorry bout that

The men in black. Or should I say dog pound hound red and black. :). Ps. Karleast has a mean growl......

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Without seeing what he posted, it was probably similar to why the previous topic got locked, with a lot of help from pekyman.

If it starts again, this topic meets the same fate. At some point, the offenders get removed, after we get tired of cleaning up their crap.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:33 pm

east hockey wrote:

Without seeing what he posted, it was probably similar to why the previous topic got locked, with a lot of help from pekyman.

If it starts again, this topic meets the same fate. At some point, the offenders get removed, after we get tired of cleaning up their crap.

Lee
I deleted it myself. Otherwise, Perky jumps on here and starts his name calling and gets it locked. That's his strategy and it works every time. All I've ever done is post facts. Nobody else has ever disputed them.

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks West for coming out to see the league...lots of impressive players were on display.

As a matter of fact.

The highly talented player will likely Bantams next season for the Hawks.

Coach Andrews - the long time Bantam AA coach - firmly believes 9th graders are better served to skate with their peers, not Varsity.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 am

I dont think the Hawks have ever moved a player up early.....and they have had plenty that could have. I would be shocked if Pat Andrews changes that tradition.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:07 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:I dont think the Hawks have ever moved a player up early.....and they have had plenty that could have. I would be shocked if Pat Andrews changes that tradition.
I agree - but has a kid ever played Varsity at one school, then back to Bantams at another? And a "down" year is what Hawk faithful is saying - so maybe the no freshmen streak is broke. I still would put a month of Tony's paycheck saying he'll be a on V this year. Hard to believe he'd leave a HS team - even though Ely is bad - to play Bantams again. If that was the case, why wouldn't he stay in HS one more year, then got to Htwon as a soph? Or maybe it just so happened dad job a job in Duluth 😁

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Plenty of very talented varsity ready 9th graders have been kept in bantams over the years. I too would be very surprised if PA changed that tradition. Bantams play twice the number of games it is arguably better for development.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Playing Hermantown's bantam schedule against AA competition would still be a step up compared to the schedule that Ely high school would play.

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:07 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Playing Hermantown's bantam schedule against AA competition would still be a step up compared to the schedule that Ely high school would play.
No question.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Ely varsity is not exactly a superstar mark on the resume. May or may not make it big. Give the kiddo time to develop. 7AA nor 7A is not going to get excited until he proves himself. He will have plenty of time. Thats how Htown is.... seniors lead, jrs follow, soph sit down and shut up

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:45 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:Ely varsity is not exactly a superstar mark on the resume. May or may not make it big. Give the kiddo time to develop. 7AA nor 7A is not going to get excited until he proves himself. He will have plenty of time. Thats how Htown is.... seniors lead, jrs follow, soph sit down and shut up
...and freshman play bantams.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Hermhawkey wrote:
ilovemesomehockey wrote:Ely varsity is not exactly a superstar mark on the resume. May or may not make it big. Give the kiddo time to develop. 7AA nor 7A is not going to get excited until he proves himself. He will have plenty of time. Thats how Htown is.... seniors lead, jrs follow, soph sit down and shut up
this may have been answered before but how can they play AA at youth and A in high school? sounds like it defeats the purpose???

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:09 am

SpOilerfan wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
this may have been answered before but how can they play AA at youth and A in high school? sounds like it defeats the purpose???
It is a strange phenomenon. Apparently something happens to players from Hermantown between 9th and 10th grade that renders them incapable of playing against AA teams in the playoffs. We are all hopeful that a cure will one day be discovered... :D
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 am

SpOilerfan wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
They are two separate organizations.
Minnesota Hockey originally made it so the youth program follow the high school program. But there were too many exceptions and granted an election for youth teams to chose where they wanted to participate in post season play.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am

BP wrote:
ilovemesomehockey wrote:I dont think the Hawks have ever moved a player up early.....and they have had plenty that could have. I would be shocked if Pat Andrews changes that tradition.
I agree - but has a kid ever played Varsity at one school, then back to Bantams at another? And a "down" year is what Hawk faithful is saying - so maybe the no freshmen streak is broke. I still would put a month of Tony's paycheck saying he'll be a on V this year. Hard to believe he'd leave a HS team - even though Ely is bad - to play Bantams again. If that was the case, why wouldn't he stay in HS one more year, then got to Htwon as a soph? Or maybe it just so happened dad job a job in Duluth 😁
The job is possible. But look at the rules. If a kid starts 9th grade. Even for 1 day he has to sit out a year from varsity sports if he transfers. So this kid would do 9th grade in Ely and then go to Htown where he would not be varsity eligible until he was an 11th grader. OTOH, if he makes the move prior to starting high school he can play varsity right away.

If Htown is going to recruit a kid to fill in during a series of down years (which means they might actually get scored on during the annual slaughter of the lambs event in StP) I am sure they will want to have their new weapon available right off the bat.

HockeyStorm

BEST POST I HAVE EVER SEEN ON THIS FORUM

Post by HockeyStorm » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:47 pm

rainier wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
It is a strange phenomenon. Apparently something happens to players from Hermantown between 9th and 10th grade that renders them incapable of playing against AA teams in the playoffs. We are all hopeful that a cure will one day be discovered... :D
:D

Wet Paint

Re: BEST POST I HAVE EVER SEEN ON THIS FORUM

Post by Wet Paint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

HockeyStorm wrote:
rainier wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
:D
As an interesting side note. Their former Bantam AA coach is now the varsity coach. When was it decided to stay at the A level? Before or after he took over the team? He might be stuck at that level until he is able to get "the powers that be" at Htwon to move up to AA.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:50 pm

"Slaughter of the lambs" event in STP. I chucked at that. Anyway, yes the Hawks beat the "pine tar" out of opponents in section playoffs and state every year pretty much except last year when they almost got bit from playing with their food too much before eating it. They, the Hawks, aren't breaking any rules. CEC chooses AA and gets their skulls thumped most years. But it's their choice. I'm fine with people/organizations making choices I don't always agree with. Hermantown is a great hockey machine no matter where the play.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 pm

He would be one of the keys to success for this year on varsity... but might be a good idea to build some friendships with his peers at bantams.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:11 pm

An Ely 8th9/th grader being the key to Hermantown varsity success this year? WOW! Sounds as though the Hawk hockey Alums went after this kid hard if he is the second coming of....well somebody. Hawks PeeWee AA team last year pretty descent. Allot of those peewees moving up to Bantams this year or second year peewees. Seems like the Hawks will need to crank up the recruiting machine the next several years or they risk looking like an A program.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Kniven

Based on what I've seen of Joey playing among bantam all stars in the Bantam elite league, I mentioned in my original post that I do believe he'll be ready to contribute big time on the varsity squad if they go that route

I compare him, with just a little reservation, to Mikey Anderson or Ben Brinkman at that age, both of them played varsity and were big contributors in ninth grade

Frankly I'm surprised he doesn't have a D1 offer already . He'smore advanced than early freshman commit Jake Boltmann was at that age

My own two cents: he should just make the big step and play varsity this year.