Duluth East- back to 7AA dominance?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Yes the story of this hounds team will be the amount of depth, I don't recall a team being so deep in elite talent since some of the big names teams around the state from decades ago. Or maybe the hornets championship team a few years ago

I mean, when Ricky Lyle is the leading hounds scorer for the weekend, how many would've expected that? . And how about Hanson being the best save percentage for the weekend.

This team has so many weapons and so much size , they just keep coming at you and either knock people off the puck or turn the corner with the puck and muscle towards the net

Some of the younger Edina dmen were a bit intimidated by hounds physical game ,and they need to enroll in the Ben Brinkman school of toughness

The Edina first line of walker, Crosby, and Koumontzus is as potent as any, but I don't think Edina has the depth and size. Same for Moorhead

season could shape up towards a repeat of the 1997 state championship game between the Hounds and the hornets, where Dan Carlson got the winning goal in overtime as I recall.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

WestMetro wrote:season could shape up towards a repeat of the 1997 state championship game between the Hounds and the hornets, where Dan Carlson got the winning goal in overtime as I recall.
It was in regulation--came in the first period, and Edina hung on from there. East went into that Tourney ranked #1, and beat the #2 team in the semis...that team? Moorhead.

Tony will accuse me of sandbagging, but I'll again be the one to pump the brakes on East some. Most talented team in 20 years? Come on, this may not be their most talented in the past six--I don't think this group has done enough yet to generate the hype that the 2012 team did. The 2012 team had 3 returning players who had 60+ points the year before; this team's leading returners have barely half that. Elite League roster spots are nice, but hardly the best predictor of success, particularly in a year when a couple of the other teams that have dominated Team North recently (GR, Hermantown) are down a little. We can find some teams with 7+ Elite Leaguers that were quite mediocre in the past. And while East did play the eventual state champion as well as anyone in the section final, their regular season last year was good, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. Going from where they were a year ago to no-doubt #1-type hype is a reach.

On the flip side: yes, they are awful deep, and there is some front-end talent that has the potential to really blossom. This group was arguably the second-best team in the state as PeeWees, losing by one goal to that near-unbeatable Edina group at State, and (unlike Edina) they have lost no one of note since then, and have actually added some talent. (Bantams are not a good guide for this group since Mageau, Worth, Donovan, and LaMaster all played varsity 3 years ago.) I don't really expect Lyle to lead the Elite League in points, but he'd clearly made big strides when I saw him earlier in the summer. And really, they could've had one more Elite Leaguer, since Nick Lanigan was right there with Lyle and Jouppi a year ago but will be out for at least part of a season with a soccer-incurred injury. The forward depth is real. The D is strong too, though has a little to prove to be to show they're world class. The early returns on Hanson are good.

In a top 3 with Edina and Moorhead? That I'll definitely buy. An argument for #1? Sure. Certain to have a dominant season like in the mid-90s (or 2012) and on the par of some of those Edina teams earlier this decade that had 10+ D-I players? I'll believe it when I see it.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 pm

As Denny Green would say " they are who we thought they were, if you want to crown em go ahead and crown em". Karl clearly is the voice of reason.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Yes, sandbagging Karl! Could be 6-7 D1s or more on this team? Lyle and Jouppi leading scorers so far , talk about an indication of depth! Also , size !

( go easy on us senior citizen hockey fans 😀 , I knew I had the year right because I was at that game with my 16 year old daughter and friend . Dual allegiances being a Hound alum but living in the West Metro and all. And I knew Dan Carlson got the only and GW goal cause I happen to know Dans dad, who was a Badger Bob UW alum . So what if I was off by a couple periods on the scoring🤷‍♂️)

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:18 pm

karl(east) wrote:
WestMetro wrote:season could shape up towards a repeat of the 1997 state championship game between the Hounds and the hornets, where Dan Carlson got the winning goal in overtime as I recall.
It was in regulation--came in the first period, and Edina hung on from there. East went into that Tourney ranked #1, and beat the #2 team in the semis...that team? Moorhead.

Tony will accuse me of sandbagging, but I'll again be the one to pump the brakes on East some. Most talented team in 20 years? Come on, this may not be their most talented in the past six--I don't think this group has done enough yet to generate the hype that the 2012 team did. The 2012 team had 3 returning players who had 60+ points the year before; this team's leading returners have barely half that. Elite League roster spots are nice, but hardly the best predictor of success, particularly in a year when a couple of the other teams that have dominated Team North recently (GR, Hermantown) are down a little. We can find some teams with 7+ Elite Leaguers that were quite mediocre in the past. And while East did play the eventual state champion as well as anyone in the section final, their regular season last year was good, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. Going from where they were a year ago to no-doubt #1-type hype is a reach.

On the flip side: yes, they are awful deep, and there is some front-end talent that has the potential to really blossom. This group was arguably the second-best team in the state as PeeWees, losing by one goal to that near-unbeatable Edina group at State, and (unlike Edina) they have lost no one of note since then, and have actually added some talent. (Bantams are not a good guide for this group since Mageau, Worth, Donovan, and LaMaster all played varsity 3 years ago.) I don't really expect Lyle to lead the Elite League in points, but he'd clearly made big strides when I saw him earlier in the summer. And really, they could've had one more Elite Leaguer, since Nick Lanigan was right there with Lyle and Jouppi a year ago but will be out for at least part of a season with a soccer-incurred injury. The forward depth is real. The D is strong too, though has a little to prove to be to show they're world class. The early returns on Hanson are good.

In a top 3 with Edina and Moorhead? That I'll definitely buy. An argument for #1? Sure. Certain to have a dominant season like in the mid-90s (or 2012) and on the par of some of those Edina teams earlier this decade that had 10+ D-I players? I'll believe it when I see it.
Well put karl from east. One thing that is consistent with what i've seen of east the last several years thats consistent with above comments. The hockey boys from Duluth East are HUGE! They are physically bigger than other teams. And at the same time, they can skate, pass, and work as a team better than most teams on a consistent basis. I don't see any team from 218 for the next several years bigger and focused on team play anywhere in 218. I still argue that small town hockey teams that opt up to AA need to drop down with A and make things interesting again. EI. East was suppose to be down last year and the next several years but they are not.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Even if a 7AA team could match East's talent on paper this year, their coaching totally eclipses every team by a wide margin. So. A team would have to have a better team on paper. That's not going to happen this year or the next several years. I tell you though, beating them once a year sure is a good feeling though. The purple has beaten them once since 2009 - regular season and section playoffs.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

I believe both Karl and YHH both have the purple in top 15 preseason ,
and with DiLaura gone from LVS and if McGregor is gone from Centennial they might think purple is coming close to cracking top 10.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 pm

WestMetro wrote:Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

and with DiLaura gone from LVS and if McGregor is gone from Centennial they might think purple is coming close to cracking top 10.
CEC purple Lumberjacks, without question, have a very good team on paper this year. It is the mess this summer that concerns me. I've got a bad feeling the kids parents will act like kids do when they have a substitute teacher for 3rd hour Algebra. I can hope, but I usually get my heart broken when I blindly hope. I just hope the kids in purple have a fun year and beat Duluth East in Cloquet this year :)))

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm

kniven wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

CEC purple Lumberjacks, without question, have a very good team on paper this year. It is the mess this summer that concerns me. I've got a bad feeling the kids parents will act like kids do when they have a substitute teacher for 3rd hour Algebra. I can hope, but I usually get my heart broken when I blindly hope. I just hope the kids in purple have a fun year and beat Duluth East in Cloquet this year :)))
quit worrying about the parents and support the kids, parents are goofy everywhere do you think only in Cloquet, and your buddy had issues every year, give the new guy a chance

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:

quit worrying about the parents and support the kids, parents are goofy everywhere do you think only in Cloquet, and your buddy had issues every year, give the new guy a chance
Ken is right. Parents forced out a good coach and a great dude. There is now a taint attached to the program that only the passing of time and program success can eliminate. But you're right. Jacks fans and parents have to give the new guy a chance. And you can be sure it is a given that Kniven will support the kids :D

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm

mnmouth wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:

Ken is right. Parents forced out a good coach and a great dude. There is now a taint attached to the program that only the passing of time and program success can eliminate. But you're right. Jacks fans and parents have to give the new guy a chance. And you can be sure it is a given that Kniven will support the kids :D
Yea. The kids rock! I support Smalley one million percent. Parents are goofy everywhere - you got that right !

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Everything I saw this weekend again tells me the Hounds are a strong 7AA 1st seed and co #1 in state with Edina, if not sole #1 due to somewhat more scoring depth and overall size.

As Doug at Follow the Puck likes to say, Prove Me Wrong!

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 pm

WestMetro wrote:Everything I saw this weekend again tells me the Hounds are a strong 7AA 1st seed and co #1 in state with Edina, if not sole #1 due to somewhat more scoring depth and overall size.

As Doug at Follow the Puck likes to say, Prove Me Wrong!
Oh boy.....

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:27 pm

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:34 pm

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:00 pm

I can't disagree that East will be the team to beat this year. They were very good last year and return lots of talent. There still are some other really good teams in this section and it will be fun to see if any of them can be serious contenders.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:29 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I can't disagree that East will be the team to beat this year. They were very good last year and return lots of talent. There still are some other really good teams in this section and it will be fun to see if any of them can be serious contenders.
Duluth East Greyhounds. The "evil empire". Coach Randolph is Darth Vader without the black cape. The heritage center is the "Death Star" and the hockey players are "storm troopers" with the captains being the "Dark Sith Lords"

CEC represent the "Jedi Knights" the good, using the force and all that. Purple represents the good. Black and red represents the dark side of the force.

Oh. Karl East is the “emperor” himself.....:). Just call me Yoda. :).

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 am

Hounds 4 of top 1O forwards , 4 of top 10 D men, and No. 1 ranked goalie!

https://mobile.twitter.com/hockeyscout2 ... 04/photo/1

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:21 pm

WestMetro wrote:Hounds 4 of top 1O forwards , 4 of top 10 D men, and No. 1 ranked goalie!

https://mobile.twitter.com/hockeyscout2 ... 04/photo/1
That sh£% just isn’t fair. :(

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:29 am

So Duluth East has 4 defenseman better than Ethan Frisch? That's absolutely crazy if true.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:08 am

Section 8 guy wrote:So Duluth East has 4 defenseman better than Ethan Frisch? That's absolutely crazy if true.
This is definitely the best team on paper Duluth East has ever had. They still have to play the games though.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am

Section 8 guy wrote:So Duluth East has 4 defenseman better than Ethan Frisch? That's absolutely crazy if true.
wouldn't put too much into this, its one guys opinion, Jack Perbix the 11th best player???

cmon

blueblood

best team

Post by blueblood » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:00 pm

paper doesn't mean squat
Play Like a Champion Today

kniven

Re: best team

Post by kniven » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 pm

blueblood wrote:paper doesn't mean squat
Well, hears the thing about Duluth East. They are good even when they aren’t very good on paper. So, when they are very good on paper -we up in the 218 pretty much know.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 am

Yes , have to agree on the Dman rankings. Frisch should be higher

My own top 5 in AA , all classes, are:

Brinkman
G Anderson (early depart?)
Frisch
Ziemer
Boltmann

LaMaster and Paine probably next 2, although the 218s might argue should be 4 and 5 . Enghum , Borsch , Jack Olsen round out top 10?

Other forum member thoughts?