HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duluth East- back to 7AA dominance?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Latest Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1332

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the story of this hounds team will be the amount of depth, I don't recall a team being so deep in elite talent since some of the big names teams around the state from decades ago. Or maybe the hornets championship team a few years ago

I mean, when Ricky Lyle is the leading hounds scorer for the weekend, how many would've expected that? . And how about Hanson being the best save percentage for the weekend.

This team has so many weapons and so much size , they just keep coming at you and either knock people off the puck or turn the corner with the puck and muscle towards the net

Some of the younger Edina dmen were a bit intimidated by hounds physical game ,and they need to enroll in the Ben Brinkman school of toughness

The Edina first line of walker, Crosby, and Koumontzus is as potent as any, but I don't think Edina has the depth and size. Same for Moorhead

season could shape up towards a repeat of the 1997 state championship game between the Hounds and the hornets, where Dan Carlson got the winning goal in overtime as I recall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
karl(east)



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 5628

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
season could shape up towards a repeat of the 1997 state championship game between the Hounds and the hornets, where Dan Carlson got the winning goal in overtime as I recall.


It was in regulation--came in the first period, and Edina hung on from there. East went into that Tourney ranked #1, and beat the #2 team in the semis...that team? Moorhead.

Tony will accuse me of sandbagging, but I'll again be the one to pump the brakes on East some. Most talented team in 20 years? Come on, this may not be their most talented in the past six--I don't think this group has done enough yet to generate the hype that the 2012 team did. The 2012 team had 3 returning players who had 60+ points the year before; this team's leading returners have barely half that. Elite League roster spots are nice, but hardly the best predictor of success, particularly in a year when a couple of the other teams that have dominated Team North recently (GR, Hermantown) are down a little. We can find some teams with 7+ Elite Leaguers that were quite mediocre in the past. And while East did play the eventual state champion as well as anyone in the section final, their regular season last year was good, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. Going from where they were a year ago to no-doubt #1-type hype is a reach.

On the flip side: yes, they are awful deep, and there is some front-end talent that has the potential to really blossom. This group was arguably the second-best team in the state as PeeWees, losing by one goal to that near-unbeatable Edina group at State, and (unlike Edina) they have lost no one of note since then, and have actually added some talent. (Bantams are not a good guide for this group since Mageau, Worth, Donovan, and LaMaster all played varsity 3 years ago.) I don't really expect Lyle to lead the Elite League in points, but he'd clearly made big strides when I saw him earlier in the summer. And really, they could've had one more Elite Leaguer, since Nick Lanigan was right there with Lyle and Jouppi a year ago but will be out for at least part of a season with a soccer-incurred injury. The forward depth is real. The D is strong too, though has a little to prove to be to show they're world class. The early returns on Hanson are good.

In a top 3 with Edina and Moorhead? That I'll definitely buy. An argument for #1? Sure. Certain to have a dominant season like in the mid-90s (or 2012) and on the par of some of those Edina teams earlier this decade that had 10+ D-I players? I'll believe it when I see it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
alcloseshaver



Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 1272
Location: Met Center Press Box

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Denny Green would say " they are who we thought they were, if you want to crown em go ahead and crown em". Karl clearly is the voice of reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1332

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sandbagging Karl! Could be 6-7 D1s or more on this team? Lyle and Jouppi leading scorers so far , talk about an indication of depth! Also , size !

( go easy on us senior citizen hockey fans 😀 , I knew I had the year right because I was at that game with my 16 year old daughter and friend . Dual allegiances being a Hound alum but living in the West Metro and all. And I knew Dan Carlson got the only and GW goal cause I happen to know Dans dad, who was a Badger Bob UW alum . So what if I was off by a couple periods on the scoring🤷‍♂️)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kniven



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 1147
Location: Esko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl(east) wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
season could shape up towards a repeat of the 1997 state championship game between the Hounds and the hornets, where Dan Carlson got the winning goal in overtime as I recall.


It was in regulation--came in the first period, and Edina hung on from there. East went into that Tourney ranked #1, and beat the #2 team in the semis...that team? Moorhead.

Tony will accuse me of sandbagging, but I'll again be the one to pump the brakes on East some. Most talented team in 20 years? Come on, this may not be their most talented in the past six--I don't think this group has done enough yet to generate the hype that the 2012 team did. The 2012 team had 3 returning players who had 60+ points the year before; this team's leading returners have barely half that. Elite League roster spots are nice, but hardly the best predictor of success, particularly in a year when a couple of the other teams that have dominated Team North recently (GR, Hermantown) are down a little. We can find some teams with 7+ Elite Leaguers that were quite mediocre in the past. And while East did play the eventual state champion as well as anyone in the section final, their regular season last year was good, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. Going from where they were a year ago to no-doubt #1-type hype is a reach.

On the flip side: yes, they are awful deep, and there is some front-end talent that has the potential to really blossom. This group was arguably the second-best team in the state as PeeWees, losing by one goal to that near-unbeatable Edina group at State, and (unlike Edina) they have lost no one of note since then, and have actually added some talent. (Bantams are not a good guide for this group since Mageau, Worth, Donovan, and LaMaster all played varsity 3 years ago.) I don't really expect Lyle to lead the Elite League in points, but he'd clearly made big strides when I saw him earlier in the summer. And really, they could've had one more Elite Leaguer, since Nick Lanigan was right there with Lyle and Jouppi a year ago but will be out for at least part of a season with a soccer-incurred injury. The forward depth is real. The D is strong too, though has a little to prove to be to show they're world class. The early returns on Hanson are good.

In a top 3 with Edina and Moorhead? That I'll definitely buy. An argument for #1? Sure. Certain to have a dominant season like in the mid-90s (or 2012) and on the par of some of those Edina teams earlier this decade that had 10+ D-I players? I'll believe it when I see it.


Well put karl from east. One thing that is consistent with what i've seen of east the last several years thats consistent with above comments. The hockey boys from Duluth East are HUGE! They are physically bigger than other teams. And at the same time, they can skate, pass, and work as a team better than most teams on a consistent basis. I don't see any team from 218 for the next several years bigger and focused on team play anywhere in 218. I still argue that small town hockey teams that opt up to AA need to drop down with A and make things interesting again. EI. East was suppose to be down last year and the next several years but they are not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kniven



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 1147
Location: Esko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if a 7AA team could match East's talent on paper this year, their coaching totally eclipses every team by a wide margin. So. A team would have to have a better team on paper. That's not going to happen this year or the next several years. I tell you though, beating them once a year sure is a good feeling though. The purple has beaten them once since 2009 - regular season and section playoffs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1332

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

I believe both Karl and YHH both have the purple in top 15 preseason ,
and with DiLaura gone from LVS and if McGregor is gone from Centennial they might think purple is coming close to cracking top 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kniven



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 1147
Location: Esko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

I believe both Karl and YHH both have the purple in top 15 preseason ,
and with DiLaura gone from LVS and if McGregor is gone from Centennial they might think purple is coming close to cracking top 10.


CEC purple Lumberjacks, without question, have a very good team on paper this year. It is the mess this summer that concerns me. I've got a bad feeling the kids parents will act like kids do when they have a substitute teacher for 3rd hour Algebra. I can hope, but I usually get my heart broken when I blindly hope. I just hope the kids in purple have a fun year and beat Duluth East in Cloquet this year Smile))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpOilerfan



Joined: 17 May 2017
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kniven wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

I believe both Karl and YHH both have the purple in top 15 preseason ,
and with DiLaura gone from LVS and if McGregor is gone from Centennial they might think purple is coming close to cracking top 10.


CEC purple Lumberjacks, without question, have a very good team on paper this year. It is the mess this summer that concerns me. I've got a bad feeling the kids parents will act like kids do when they have a substitute teacher for 3rd hour Algebra. I can hope, but I usually get my heart broken when I blindly hope. I just hope the kids in purple have a fun year and beat Duluth East in Cloquet this year Smile))


quit worrying about the parents and support the kids, parents are goofy everywhere do you think only in Cloquet, and your buddy had issues every year, give the new guy a chance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mnmouth



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 445

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

I believe both Karl and YHH both have the purple in top 15 preseason ,
and with DiLaura gone from LVS and if McGregor is gone from Centennial they might think purple is coming close to cracking top 10.


CEC purple Lumberjacks, without question, have a very good team on paper this year. It is the mess this summer that concerns me. I've got a bad feeling the kids parents will act like kids do when they have a substitute teacher for 3rd hour Algebra. I can hope, but I usually get my heart broken when I blindly hope. I just hope the kids in purple have a fun year and beat Duluth East in Cloquet this year Smile))


quit worrying about the parents and support the kids, parents are goofy everywhere do you think only in Cloquet, and your buddy had issues every year, give the new guy a chance


Ken is right. Parents forced out a good coach and a great dude. There is now a taint attached to the program that only the passing of time and program success can eliminate. But you're right. Jacks fans and parents have to give the new guy a chance. And you can be sure it is a given that Kniven will support the kids Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kniven



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 1147
Location: Esko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnmouth wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Well, LL sure looked good last weekend, and sure has grown since I last saw him at Stillwater state bantams!

I believe both Karl and YHH both have the purple in top 15 preseason ,
and with DiLaura gone from LVS and if McGregor is gone from Centennial they might think purple is coming close to cracking top 10.


CEC purple Lumberjacks, without question, have a very good team on paper this year. It is the mess this summer that concerns me. I've got a bad feeling the kids parents will act like kids do when they have a substitute teacher for 3rd hour Algebra. I can hope, but I usually get my heart broken when I blindly hope. I just hope the kids in purple have a fun year and beat Duluth East in Cloquet this year Smile))


quit worrying about the parents and support the kids, parents are goofy everywhere do you think only in Cloquet, and your buddy had issues every year, give the new guy a chance


Ken is right. Parents forced out a good coach and a great dude. There is now a taint attached to the program that only the passing of time and program success can eliminate. But you're right. Jacks fans and parents have to give the new guy a chance. And you can be sure it is a given that Kniven will support the kids Very Happy


Yea. The kids rock! I support Smalley one million percent. Parents are goofy everywhere - you got that right !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Latest Topics) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Forum Rules/Reporting Offensive Posts (Updated 3/16/05)

National HS Hockey Rankings

State by State HS Hockey Profiles

USHighSchoolHockey.com

MidgetAAAHockey.com

Statewide High School Hockey Links (By State)

High School Hockey Team Links (By State)

Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by team) Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by date)

Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (USHSHO) Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (MinnHock)

Nationwide HS Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey National Rankings

NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Rankings

New England Prep School Hockey Rankings

Prep School Hockey Links

Friends of USHSHO and the Forums:

MinnHock

WisconsinPrepHockey.Net

Sponsored Links:

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group