2AA 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

2AA 2017-2018

Post by karl(east) »

Lest anyone accuse this of turning into the Northeast Minnesota High School Hockey Forum, let's get some comments on other sections rolling...

This one intrigues me the most, as it often does. Holy Family has some nice pieces; does everyone stick around and do they finally break through? Tonka has a lot of rising talent and a new coach; do they finally cash in? The Mittelstadt era came and went in EP without a crown, but Jack Jensen and friends still have some skill to look for a fifth straight trip to State. How high can Chaska rise? Anything left in the tank in Prior Lake? There has to be some chatter in other parts of the state...
BP

Post by BP »

Karl - here is how I see it:

1) Holy Family - Do they finally take that next step? Arguably the best D core in the state from top to bottom - even with Tabor to Waterloo. Moe will be back as his USHL team is a cluster. Light in scoring up front - but recruiting and winning the Garrett Pino sweepstakes away from Delano and/or Minnetonka should help.

2) Minnetonka - Can "Goldy Shuffle" the back to back state Bantam champs to state at the HS level? Lots of pressure to win in his first year of coaching in a tough environment. Loads of young talent....Loss of Hanus hurts - but a deep group.

3) Eden Prairie - Jensen is a beast and will lead this crew - they may be a year away - but Lee finds a way to get these boys to win. And I think you may see a transfer or two come in - don't be surprised.

4) Chaska - Good talent - but are they ready to make that jump to the top 20-25 in AA? They have upgraded their schedule this year and plan to continue to grow - but are they deep enough - that is the biggest question.

5) Prior Lake - The Lakers are the Lakers. Disappointing results of teams year after year at HS level that have won at a young age. Can they surprise anyone in sections? A battle with Chaska in the quarters will be the best quarterfinal game in state in AA. If they get past the quarters - that is where it will end.

6) Chanhassen - New Coach Jesse Willis has a lot of work to do. Lots of talent coming up in Chaska/Chanhassen youth teams - but can he find a way to keep them away from Chaska, Holy Family, and Eden Prairie. Work is cut out for him.

7) New Prague - Coach Lonke's squad is barely over the AA cut-off - and a team that should be in A. Hopefully this is only a two year deal.

8) Shakopee - Unreal rink and hoping they can find a way to develop players and keep the top ones in Shako. Until then, it will be a struggle.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well said BP!

Found myself agreeing with you almost point by point!

Agree on your seeding, and I also think the top three will all be in the top 10 preseason . But as to who will ultimately make it out of 2AA to the X , I would say the top three are very close odds come playoff time

Long term : Jessie Willis would love to give Dave's Snugs a run for his money in this Section! Each of them has really brought a lot of young kids along through the system out there in CC/Breakaway land, also Andy Brink. Kudos to all three for jump starting the program in the far reaches of West Metro

Prior Lake - if it didnt happen in the last 2 two years with all that talent , is it going to happen any time soon?
BP

Post by BP »

WestMetro wrote:Well said BP!

Found myself agreeing with you almost point by point!

Agree on your seeding, and I also think the top three will all be in the top 10 preseason . But as to who will ultimately make it out of 2AA to the X , I would say the top three are very close odds come playoff time

Long term : Jessie Willis would love to give Dave's Snugs a run for his money in this Section! Each of them has really brought a lot of young kids along through the system out there in CC/Breakaway land, also Andy Brink. Kudos to all three for jump starting the program in the far reaches of West Metro

Prior Lake - if it didnt happen in the last 2 two years with all that talent , is it going to happen any time soon?

PL is dead. I don't think they'll ever get to state.
HockeyonFire

Re: 2AA 2017-2018

Post by HockeyonFire »

karl(east) wrote:Lest anyone accuse this of turning into the Northeast Minnesota High School Hockey Forum, let's get some comments on other sections rolling...

This one intrigues me the most, as it often does. Holy Family has some nice pieces; does everyone stick around and do they finally break through? Tonka has a lot of rising talent and a new coach; do they finally cash in? The Mittelstadt era came and went in EP without a crown, but Jack Jensen and friends still have some skill to look for a fifth straight trip to State. How high can Chaska rise? Anything left in the tank in Prior Lake? There has to be some chatter in other parts of the state...
Thank you Karl for making this thread.

1. Holy Family. Everyone underestimates their forwards and believe me they have three lines this year that you won't underestimate after the July tourney. The defensive core is the best in the state and special teams will have to be better this year if they wanna make state. Power play was poor at times last year and they were iffy at finishing close games in the third period...have to execute and finish. Six players that are either D1 commits (Marooney, Almquist, Pino, Ziemer) or at the National Camp (Spinner, Charchenko) ties Edina for most in the state.

2. Eden Prairie. I think EP's bantam aa team stepping into high school will be better than Minnetonka's. Yup I said it. I watched plenty of EP bantam hockey and they just seem to do better in high school than Minnetonka's probably due to coaching. Lack of experience at the high school level is the big problem for this group but I think they make it back to the section final against HF because of Drew Holt.

3. Tonka has a ton of forward talent coming in from last year's bantam but the unexpected loss of Clay Hanus to the WHL..will hurt tremendously. Bobby Brink is the best individual player on this team but who else will help him? Loheit did not jump off the board last year. Defense needs experience, yet they have the best depth of forwards in the section. Probably roll 4 lines, inexperienced goalie.

4. Chaska. they will be better than Prior Lake this year because of Shane Lavelle and Mike Koster but with that SCHEDULE?..they won't make it past the section semis. They play BSM twice :/ Minnetonka once and three Holiday tourney games. Other than that they should be favored in every other game. Not a real challenge to help you get through the second toughest section this year in the state (7aa I concede is best).

5. Prior Lake..you have Jackson Jutting..and? not sure who else they have.

6. Chanhassen...you have a good new coach and..??

7. Shakopee..some really good young talent like Luke Schmitz and??

8. New Prague..good luck in this section..
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

It's still early, but it seems like a three team section this year with Holy Family on top, followed by EP, and Minnetonka. Interested to see what Mr. Goldsworthy can do with the Skippers. I think Prior Lake takes a step down, but will do enough to be in the section semis at the end of the season as the #4 seed. Would like to see Shakopee improve, so I have an excuse to see the new rink being a resident of the community.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
warmskin

Post by warmskin »

no mention of Edina. Giles lost his edge after 17 years?
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Edina is no longer in Section 2, they are in Section 6.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

HOF

Can you elaborate on the pool of HF goalie candidates now that we have seen some summer tourney action?

Tonka Fans: goalie candidates?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

What are people's updated thoughts on 2AA , now that roster departs and additions are fairly complete?

I tend to think the top 3 have tightened up, all three 10 but more of a horse race to get to the X

And, might possibly have five top 20 teams from this one section?

Karl, when is last time that happened? The old 6AA? Or 7AA a while back?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

WestMetro wrote:What are people's updated thoughts on 2AA , now that roster departs and additions are fairly complete?

I tend to think the top 3 have tightened up, all three 10 but more of a horse race to get to the X

And, might possibly have five top 20 teams from this one section?

Karl, when is last time that happened? The old 6AA? Or 7AA a while back?
Since I've been ranking, I'm pretty sure 6AA is the only one that would have. There was a year or two where Hopkins was in that conversation, along with the usual suspects (Benilde, Tonka, EP, Wayzata). 7AA is probably the only other section that's been at all close, but I can't remember a year where 5 would've broken in.
cigar

Post by cigar »

Edina is easily in top 3.

quite possibly should be at 1.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

cigar wrote:Edina is easily in top 3.

Is the Koumontzis kid who's leading the Elite league in scoring going to be a junior or senior this year?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Junior
green4

Post by green4 »

TheNightman wrote:
cigar wrote:Edina is easily in top 3.

Is the Koumontzis kid who's leading the Elite league in scoring going to be a junior or senior this year?
For those unaware, believe he originally came from around West st.paul or something before playing for Edina in peewees maybe a year of bantams before playing for the Jr. Coyotes AAA team in Arizona. This is his first year back in Edina I do believe, but I could be wrong
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

What does Edina have to do with 2AA?
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

Because it is always about Edina
Every
Day
I
Need
Attention
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

As far as 2AA (Edina in 6AA), again after this weekends elite action, I would hate to predict the 2AA winner next March. IMHO, going to be wide open between the top 3 which are all top 10 , and Chaska should be 4 seed and able to compete with many top 15 teams, with PL having some good talent also and could surprise